Millions Saved Thru Costuming Changes

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I feel like every organization in the world always has areas where money can be saved fairly painlessly. I'm glad to see that Disney has realized that they were wasting money in the costume dept. Seems like an area that was in need of some fresh new ideas. I much prefer these minor cuts that don't have a huge impact on guest experience rather than the big cuts like all but banishing holiday decorations from EPCOT last year. :shrug:

ewensell3

That changed just a few years ago, when Disney adopted identical outfits for both Orlando and Anaheim — the same ones, in fact, now used in Disney’s Animal Kingdom by drivers in the Kilimanjaro Safaris attraction.

I'm surprised they didn't get a sponsorship deal from Columbia Sportswear Company (or some other ruggedized outdoor wear company) and get the costumes for free.

Phonedave

This is only one example of how they are saving money right now. Nearly every department has been hit up to cut back on spending in some way, whether it be a simplistic costume change, using a competitive company for supplies, etc. It's nothing new to Disney and it certainly won't be the last time they do it.

It's nothing new to business across America.

-dave

Master Gracey 5

Where do you draw the line between what is acceptable and what has become 'Six Flags'? Of course, it's reasonable and even expected that the JC costumes match between parks, but no one has yet picked up on the more questionable fact that they are also used at KS, an entirely different sort of ride experience set in an entirely different world.

Or how about the same costumes being used at Mansion and ToT?

I don't know about you, but those two examples from the article are getting into a grey area. How many other 'shared costumes' are we looking at?

Overall I have no problems with this move, but I can see what you mean about concerns using the same costume cross-attractions. The difference between this and HM vs. ToT is that KS is themed as a ride through the African savannah and the Jungle Cruise concept was loosely based on "the African Queen" so there are more similarities than you would think. Either way, considering the costume is essentially safari khakis, its pretty versatile and nothing anyone has a problem with thematically.

bgraham34

Agreed. Plus these savings might have actually cut down the number of layoffs.

I doubt that would save from laying off people. If Disney can get less people to do the same job as before and not hinder most day to day business they will be all for it. Its the name of the game.

mastif

I doubt that would save from laying off people. If Disney can get less people to do the same job as before and not hinder most day to day business they will be all for it. Its the name of the game.

Costuming used to have 2-4 people scanning out the CM's costumes. They've now sewn a micro chip to all their costumes, so they can all be checked out at once, and not have to be scanned individually. Not only that, but they have self check out ( kinda like at walmart) and no "cashiers" anymore....

Also, the costume merges aren't anything really new. For example, the custodial, world showcase merchandise, and morocco all where the same (white) pants...

GrumpyFan

I couldn't care less if cast members on both coasts are wearing the same costume. :shrug: It's not like I am ever going to go to both coasts in one day. I also don't mind if the cast members are all wearing the same black pants or no longer wear an apron. I wonder why it took them so long to discover how much easier and cheaper it is to have the plastic dyed rather than painted.

Indeed. These seem like simple changes that probably should have been done long ago. In a company the size of Disney, there are probably hundreds of things that have been duplicated and can be cobined to save some money.

brianplace

EFFICIENCY shouldn't trump SHOW

in order of priority: Safety, Courtesy, Show, Efficiency
here's a case where they're trying to make things more efficient (save money) without impacting a more important element (themed costumes specific to each area.)

As long as they keep these priorities in mind there's no problem here. I have to say that other cost cutting measures have not fared so well in the past. I remember a time, for instance, when individual restaurants at EPCOT had themed napkins - either specific to the restaurant or to EPCOT as a whole. Nowadays, every eatery on property (including some of the really great ones) use those stupid brown recycled "Disney Parks" napkins. Yes, this saves a LOT of cost but honestly slightly decreases the immersive impact of the theming. WDW suddenly feels a lot smaller when you see these stupid napkins everywhere (which have zero absorbent properties - by the way - requiring you to use a whole lot more of them)...

but back to costumes...

castlecake2.0

The one change that I have noticed is that Tomorrowland ops lost their detailed pants, and now wear the same black pants I wear at Le Cellier, or used at electric umbrella, banquets, WS coordinators, TL merch...

Wilt Dasney

in order of priority: Safety, Courtesy, Show, Efficiency
here's a case where they're trying to make things more efficient (save money) without impacting a more important element (themed costumes specific to each area.)

As long as they keep these priorities in mind there's no problem here. I have to say that other cost cutting measures have not fared so well in the past. I remember a time, for instance, when individual restaurants at EPCOT had themed napkins - either specific to the restaurant or to EPCOT as a whole. Nowadays, every eatery on property (including some of the really great ones) use those stupid brown recycled "Disney Parks" napkins. Yes, this saves a LOT of cost but honestly slightly decreases the immersive impact of the theming. WDW suddenly feels a lot smaller when you see these stupid napkins everywhere (which have zero absorbent properties - by the way - requiring you to use a whole lot more of them)...

but back to costumes...

I think you've hit on a good distinction. The main reason I don't have any issue with this change is I just don't think it has a real impact on show.

Gradations of black pants or having different costumes for different versions of the same ride 3,000 miles apart just aren't important show elements IMO.

prberk

I agree with the napkin quote above, though. The napkins should at least be site-specific (Walt Disney World), but in some special restaurants should be nicer. And it is neat when different locations have different things, especially merchandise.

The costumes can be shared as long as the theming makes sense for the attraction you are at.

But some things, especially merchandise, should be much more varied. I will only buy the same T-shirt once, but I might buy two if they are different and especially mindful of the specific experience I have or place I am visiting.

Captain Hank

Overall I have no problems with this move, but I can see what you mean about concerns using the same costume cross-attractions. The difference between this and HM vs. ToT is that KS is themed as a ride through the African savannah and the Jungle Cruise concept was loosely based on "the African Queen" so there are more similarities than you would think. Either way, considering the costume is essentially safari khakis, its pretty versatile and nothing anyone has a problem with thematically.
I think the costume was used at KSR first, then "exported" to Jungle Cruise. Also, strictly speaking, it's the same base shirt, but KSR costumes have a Kilimanjaro Safaris logo patch on the right sleeve and a logo belt buckle. It's different enough to make a distinction, IMO. I'm okay with this, as long as it's done conscientiously and with minimal or no impact on show.

Foolish1

Accessorize, accessorize. If they save money on a pair of pants or shirt by making it the same as another attraction (while in itself being somewhat close to what it was before), then great. But the saving can also allow them to add some embellishments to the costume as well, perhaps, and still save money.

In most cases, a black pair of pants is a black pair of pants. Sure, the cut might be a little different. Sure, might be cuffs at the bottom, sure might have tassles. But in the end, it's still black pants. The part I take a little exception to is the comment about the apron. How they are leaving a tab off of them. Alright, not a big change, but still one that means a real detail is being left off. In most cases guests would not notice that a cast member is wearing #13 black pants versus #4 black pants, but might notice that details are left off of aprons.

And yes, going to unimaginative marketing napkins that barely work as a table-prop, let alone as a napkin, that's not a good thing.

My biggest complaint is that they are doing to the parks what they did to animation. After a period of decline Disney just decided the public is not all that interested in the animated movies and now parks. So they are settling in to wring as much out of the parks while they figure they can. This is bad thinking. Princess & The Frog demonstrated that if you deliver what the public wants, they will come in droves. Just make your product unique, and do a good job with it.

Did anyone see the Pixar special on CNBC where they pointed out Disney was quite happy with Toy Story 2 being a low quality film, but Pixar folks were not? Just so long as TS2 made money, Disney was happy. You can only fool the public for so long.

Oh, and one of my pet peeves about people who complain about how Disney does things is they see it from the wrong perspective. The problem is that their stock price is low. Why is it low? For two reasons, really. Supply, and demand. With low stock price Disney does what they can to increase demand, which brings down supply in the long run. Perhaps if more Disney fans owned Disney stock, a couple things could/would happen. First, the demand has gone up, and that has brought supply down. So price must go up accordingly. Second, a stockholder telling management how they want the company run has some added value. Tell them you are not happy with how the company is run. Complaining that something they did sucks is kind of pointless.

I own about 4000 shares of Disney stock. I had been an annual passholder for about 12 years. About 18 months ago, when my and my girlfriend's passes were up for renewal, we decided to not renew. I then proceeded to write them a letter and explain why. I sent it to 8 or 9 addresses at Disney. I explained that I liked the parks, but since attractions have not changed that much the last few years, and they have been dumbing down attractions, I decided it was not worth it to have annual passes any longer. I would thus be cutting back from 3 trips (each about ten days long) a year, to about 1 trip every 2 or 3 years now. I could easily see everything and still easily see the changes. I did get one reply back regretting my decision and offering to call me if I wished to discuss it further.

Fantasyland did this years ago...

I remember years ago, the attractions in Fantasyland each used to have different costuming. I totally miss the blue and white striped "sailor suits" of IASW. Now, though, Dumbo, Peter Pan, IASW, and so on are all dressed alike. It makes sense, but for me, it kind of took something "special" away when they did it.

Tinkrbell

I must say, that was a rather informative article. To be honest, this seems pretty common sense to me, like standardizing clothes sizes so that a size 12 is the same at WDW and DL.

They can't even standardize clothing sizes from one style of pants to another. For costuming, I can choose between wearing cargo pants & plain black pants. I usually wear the plain black pants, but the cargo shorts. The cargos are at least 1 size bigger than the plain pants.

After reading that, I realized how much easier it will be to put things away when I'm working at ops costuming cuz I won't have to figure out which pair of black pants it is.

My only problem with the article was the caption under the picture. That was taken at Epcot's Royal Closet, where the face character costumes are. The caption said it was the dresses from the Beauty & the Beast show, which is at Studios. Belle in the show doesn't wear the same dress as the Belle you would meet in the parks.

jhonsadins

This stuff with using plastics on Buzz should have happened nearly 20 years ago. After all, they can make plastic injection molded cups in various colors.
Sounds like some corporate buyers and engineers got a little lazy during the course of their careers there.

Bluewaves

Sounds like Disney finally smartened up just a little bit, why buy two sets of costumes almost exactly the same and not just buy the same thing, if they clone an attraction why not clone the uniform too, makes sense to me, kinda surprised they didn't do that before.

So if attraction A and attraction B both have costumes where the CM's wear black pants, just buy the same black pants for both instead of 2 different types of pants, Jungle Cruise and Safari, same costume just different patches, Custodian at Disney World and Custodian and Disney Land, just buy the same costume, Bus Drivers, well get rid of the purple pants, lol, just use the black ones that anyone else wears, lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom