Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run - Ride/Queue Details and Discussion

Tom Morrow

Having ridden about 15 times now, I’ve gotten pretty good at the pilot position, but due to the nature of the mission, the rest of the crew, if they don’t know us, always thinks we did a bad job. I do think this mission should be scrapped entirely in favor of one that doesn’t have scripted moments where you “fail”. I also hate the freefall because the Falcon would smash into scraps from that.

I’ve also noticed that a common complaint with piloting is that it’s impossible to level out. You are always having to compensate so if you don’t want to constantly hit stuff you have to weave and bob the whole time.

Now, they could change this. But ultimately I think it is intentional, because you aren’t really supposed to do well, it’s supposed to be about crashing a lot and laughing about it.

What first-time riders don’t realize is that you see the same sequence no matter how good or bad you do. It’s “on rails”. I realize they don’t want to spoil it by telling you it is but also I wish it was more clear so riding with strangers would be less awkward.

Also here are some observations and tips I’ve noted:
- If you get the stationary ADA cockpit then you will get the full length experience (asteroid belt) AND an extended mission briefing from Hondo... though he mostly just rambles on with filler nonsense. However, the ADA capsule hallway is not equipped with the “after flight” effects like flickering lights.

- If your pilots do exceptionally horrible, and you’re not on the ADA cockpit; as you exit you will hear an announcement that the ship is a loss and “just scrap.”

- When returning to Batuu before Chewie takes over, there is a spire that almost everyone hits. It IS possible to avoid it but you have to be steering up and left as soon as you are given control again.

- People were asking how we board the ship if not through the ramp. The answer is we enter through the side airlock. Which side airlock it is depends on which cockpit turntable you go to, as the cockpits are oriented for one or the other - meaning if you enter the cockpit from the opposite of where you entered the holodeck room, then you entered the ship through the port side airlock. If you enter the cockpit down the hallway next to the entrance corridor, then you entered the ship through the starboard side airlock (hope that makes sense). You can see the airlock right after you are handed your crew position ticket.

Disney Maddux

Having ridden about 15 times now, I’ve gotten pretty good at the pilot position, but due to the nature of the mission, the rest of the crew, if they don’t know us, always thinks we did a bad job. I do think this mission should be scrapped entirely in favor of one that doesn’t have scripted moments where you “fail”. I also hate the freefall because the Falcon would smash into scraps from that.

I’ve also noticed that a common complaint with piloting is that it’s impossible to level out. You are always having to compensate so if you don’t want to constantly hit stuff you have to weave and bob the whole time.

Now, they could change this. But ultimately I think it is intentional, because you aren’t really supposed to do well, it’s supposed to be about crashing a lot and laughing about it.

What first-time riders don’t realize is that you see the same sequence no matter how good or bad you do. It’s “on rails”. I realize they don’t want to spoil it by telling you it is but also I wish it was more clear so riding with strangers would be less awkward.

Also here are some observations and tips I’ve noted:
- If you get the stationary ADA cockpit then you will get the full length experience (asteroid belt) AND an extended mission briefing from Hondo... though he mostly just rambles on with filler nonsense. However, the ADA capsule hallway is not equipped with the “after flight” effects like flickering lights.

- If your pilots do exceptionally horrible, and you’re not on the ADA cockpit; as you exit you will hear an announcement that the ship is a loss and “just scrap.”

- When returning to Batuu before Chewie takes over, there is a spire that almost everyone hits. It IS possible to avoid it but you have to be steering up and left as soon as you are given control again.

- People were asking how we board the ship if not through the ramp. The answer is we enter through the side airlock. Which side airlock it is depends on which cockpit turntable you go to, as the cockpits are oriented for one or the other - meaning if you enter the cockpit from the opposite of where you entered the holodeck room, then you entered the ship through the port side airlock. If you enter the cockpit down the hallway next to the entrance corridor, then you entered the ship through the starboard side airlock (hope that makes sense). You can see the airlock right after you are handed your crew position ticket.
To add a little to this...

-If you get 10000 or above, the ending announcement in the Falcon says the ship is in surprisingly good condition, only needing a few repairs.

-The max score is 13000.

Tom Morrow

I’m a little unclear on the scoring. Is your score based on your role (pilot/gunner/engineer)? It seems as though the pilots are given a combined score but I am unsure of the other two roles.

Darth Snips

OK, this is pretty cool:

I remember seeing rumors of a "Wookiee Mode" when the ride first opened. Awesome to see it for real!

By the way, I rode SR again last Friday (Feb 14), and I was really disappointed in the loading experience. I did Single Rider, so I skipped the pre-show and went straight to the Chess Room. But the procedure was completely different from the usual operations.

No one was allowed to wander the room. No one was sitting at the chess table. No one was exploring and taking pictures.

Instead, we were given our color cards and told to line up in the back corner of the room, near the bunk bed. Everyone just stood in line until their color was called. Has anyone else experienced this? Single Rider was moving really slowly, so they could have been having some technical or capacity issues. Maybe this was just a one-time affair to speed up the process (like the switchbacks in RotR's hangar). I really hope this is not the new normal for this ride, because that experience of roaming the Falcon is truly special.

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

OK, this is pretty cool:

I remember seeing rumors of a "Wookiee Mode" when the ride first opened. Awesome to see it for real!

By the way, I rode SR again last Friday (Feb 14), and I was really disappointed in the loading experience. I did Single Rider, so I skipped the pre-show and went straight to the Chess Room. But the procedure was completely different from the usual operations.

No one was allowed to wander the room. No one was sitting at the chess table. No one was exploring and taking pictures.

Instead, we were given our color cards and told to line up in the back corner of the room, near the bunk bed. Everyone just stood in line until their color was called. Has anyone else experienced this? Single Rider was moving really slowly, so they could have been having some technical or capacity issues. Maybe this was just a one-time affair to speed up the process (like the switchbacks in RotR's hangar). I really hope this is not the new normal for this ride, because that experience of roaming the Falcon is truly special.

Wow, that is pretty cool. Anyone wanna test it out? :D

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
OK, this is pretty cool:

I forgot how cringy that channel is. It’s a neat one time trick though.

aluisi

OK, this is pretty cool:

That would be me who posted about it on the Galaxy's Edge discored back in Augest of last year. Everyone kinda gave me crap for it. Glad it was real. I tried to tell people. Surprised it took this long to be found.

Tom Morrow

Alright, so I've probably ridden 16 times now, and it's been open since August. On probably 3 out of 4 rides, the video has hung or lagged for a second or two. Are they ever going to fix this? The video and sound quality is otherwise good but as soon as this happens, it takes you right out of it.

MrConbon

Alright, so I've probably ridden 16 times now, and it's been open since August. On probably 3 out of 4 rides, the video has hung or lagged for a second or two. Are they ever going to fix this? The video and sound quality is otherwise good but as soon as this happens, it takes you right out of it.
It seems to be a framerate hitch. It’s pretty often in video games and since this is essentially one giant video game, the same is here too. There’s no reason why the couldn’t do some optimizations to try to prevent it though.

trainplane3

It seems to be a framerate hitch. It’s pretty often in video games and since this is essentially one giant video game, the same is here too. There’s no reason why the couldn’t do some optimizations to try to prevent it though.
I've been on it once so I don't know what it looks like but the other possibility is microstutter, one the big things that SLI is known for.

Marc Davis Fan

This is particularly interesting because I've been on the one at DL many times, and only had this happen once. It could be the luck of the draw, or it could be that something needs to be fixed in the WDW version?

trainplane3

Would it be a graphics card issue if the sound also hiccups?
Depends if the sound is being output through the GPU. Apparently the cards they use support DisplayPort with audio. In my brief 2 years with SLI I've learned one thing, if something can go wrong with SLI it will and probably in some hilarious way.

Have they tried setting the refresh rate to 59 fps instead of 60?

How bout unplugging it and plugging it back in?
144 or bust.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom