Trip Report MILESTONE TRIP! First Orlando Visit, Final Disney Park!

THE TIME HAS COME!

In just about a week, I will be starting my very first ever trip to Orlando…and all therein that may be explored.

As the title suggests, among other milestones, this trip will see me visiting my 12th and final Disney Park – Magic Kingdom itself! I have traveled extensively, with all the other Disney Destinations worldwide under my belt, yet somehow I have so far resisted the allures of the Vacation Kingdom. In this week days leading up to my departure, I’ll be going over “why not yet,” “why now,” my itinerary, maybe even soliciting some travel advice.

But for now…Who’s going?

7166D4BC-82E3-4FDB-981E-47ACE8702961.jpeg

Me after a hike at Bryce Canyon (the real Big Thunder). My beard is much calmer now.

Just me. Doug. Typically I’m a regular of the Imagineering forums, but I'm just a dilettante on these Trip Report boards. Traveling solo, as is my wont.

Where? Universal’s Endless Summer Resort for three nights, then the Walt Disney World Swan for like a week.

When? September 21st – October 1st.

The broadest plan is to see as much of Orlando as I can (both Disney and beyond) in the week+ prior to Magic Kingdom’s 50th. That means plans to see Walt Disney World, Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, even the Fun Spots.

Over ambitious, perhaps? Sure it is, but I’ve done my research, and I know my travel style and what I'm capable of! Let’s do this!

Last edited:

D Hulk

Original Poster
4C47DDCF-40CC-4678-84C8-313D912EC091.jpeg

MAGIC KINGDOM
SEPTEMBER 28th

The calm before the storm.

Hip hip hooray for Magic Kingdom! From Early Entry until fireworks yesterday I toured this magnificent theme park, where I had the best experience on Disney World property. This was entirely the right call, making MK my 12th and final Disney theme park. It truly served as a climax to this leg of the trip.

Crowds were exceedingly manageable all throughout the day. Even Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (which I rope dropped) never got over maybe 50 minutes all day long. The park was mine to enjoy as I pleased, with minimal waits everywhere. While I could’ve easily done every ride, it’s quicker to list those which I skipped - the flat rides, Peter Pan, and Autopia (err…Tomorrowland Speedway).

BA65B1C3-F201-4107-8D46-F8E3F9CFF9ED.jpeg

And I enjoyed every moment enjoying classic rides or simply soaking in the atmosphere. Coming in, I was worried that I’d become too burnt out on Castle Parks after seeing five others worldwide in the Magic Kingdom mold, but MK’s, well, its magic. It stands apart from most. It’s clear throughout that the first generation Imagineers who cut their teeth on Disneyland brought their experience and passion to Florida, using increased scale and budget to make something that’s nearly Disneyland’s equal. Yes, I still prefer Disneyland. Sorry, WDW friends! (DisneySea tops Magic Kingdom as well.) Being the very first iteration of an idea, you can sense the even greater passion which went into Disneyland’s creation. That passion is still evident here in Florida, in a park that’s more user-friendly for first timers and tourists.

657D9AE4-4BD7-4F1F-8B42-304E26B6747B.jpeg

Of course, expect a much more elaborate trip report - and far more photos - when I return home and have a chance to settle down again.

Today I collect my rental car, then there are no more limits on what I do. Plans are becoming more fluid. I think I’ll start with SeaWorld today, because I don’t feel like driving to Tampa yet​

spacemt354

Chili's
Really glad it seems like you had a great time at the Magic Kingdom! The crowds seemed manageable which definitely would help. Excited to hear your thoughts in the full report on classics like the Country Bears, Peoplemover, and the original Space Mountain (for obvious reasons haha)

For now enjoy SeaWorld! - I think you'll like the coasters over there, Manta is one of my favorites in Orlando

JokersWild

God for some reason WDWM just refuses to send me notifications for this thread. Great to hear that you're enjoying everything! Japan's probably the best World Showcase pavilion (aside from Mexico, maybe) and you totally made the right call skipping the MK attractions you did. The only interesting part about Peter Pan is the queue. DL's is far superior.

D Hulk

Original Poster
0DC7BF0C-7634-46DE-97AC-8DD9AFDBD79F.jpeg

As you all know, yesterday I up and went to Busch Gardens Tampa instead of SeaWorld Orlando like I’d originally planned. I timed the drive near perfectly to coincide with rope drop, not that it was needed…BSG was as empty as could possibly be. Not a single queue. Overall this was a nice respite from the more maddening pace at Disney and Universal, even though those were seeing low crowds recently as well.

BSG won me over with its great balance between thrill rides and relaxing zoological activities. It exceeded my expectations; far more beautiful and themed than I expected for such a regional park.

The coaster side of things was good, but there I hit a slight snag. I missed two coaster credits! 😭 Cobra’s Curse was down all day (at least maintenance crews were visibly fixing it). More distressing was Montu, by reputation one of Florida’s best coasters. Why I didn’t ride this is too long a story for now, but let’s just say that Final Destination 3 was referenced multiple times by multiple parties throughout the day.

9876C6B7-3633-4650-A9E1-9540E36106C6.jpeg

Then on the way back into Orlando, I decided to detour and knock out Fun Spot Kissimmee early why not. It took about an hour for the coasters. The Fun Spot felt like a permanent carnival, with all the seedy, rickety charms that implies. A fun asterisk to the trip, little more.

Coaster count now 232. Today, SeaWorld and then the Orlando Fun Spot.​

KellBelle

A couple of things I forgot to mention...

1. Your kitty is gorgeous!

2. It was a definite flashback seeing you mention California's Great America. I grew up in San Jose, so Great America was somewhere I was very frequently. Not to date myself lol, but back then it was Marriott's Great America and I think a season pass was under $50. The only coasters I can remember are Demon, Tidal Wave, Grizzly and Whizzer. I am sure some of those are long gone. We spent a lot of time at Disneyland too, but Great America was always a fun park.

D Hulk

Original Poster
6B769C50-5165-4C1C-A4A2-4A7D89E5FEB3.jpeg

NOT A RECAP, BUT AN UPDATE

This morning I did SeaWorld. Rode all the coasters and the other major rides and exhibits, not even at a rushed pace, and I finished to my satisfaction quite quickly. (Being a Passholder helped with that choice.) And yes, @TheOriginalTiki, I did ride Mako, four times in a row in fact - quick summary, best overall collection of ejector airtime I’ve experienced, though the singular best ejector moment belongs to a surprise coaster to be revealed later.

So where am I for the afternoon?

CCB7849F-56DE-43EE-8F62-6C48B7E55832.jpeg

BACK IN EPCOT!

SeaWorld worked up an appetite, so I’m making a genuine play at the ol’ World Showcase snack ‘n’ sip. Did Paris already, in Morocco now.​

JokersWild

Out of curiosity, what makes DL's superior? We're going to DLR in a few weeks, and Peter Pan was one I'd been thinking we could skip, given long wait times and that I thought it was the same as WDW's.
DL’s got a pretty big refurb a few years ago. It’s still mostly the same ride as WDW’s if I’m remembering correctly, but a lot of the effects were updated and some modern effects such as projection mapping are used a lot throughout.

I wouldn’t wait an hour for it, but it’s still worth checking out if you have time and the queue isn’t terrible.

D Hulk

Original Poster
Out of curiosity, what makes DL's superior? We're going to DLR in a few weeks, and Peter Pan was one I'd been thinking we could skip, given long wait times and that I thought it was the same as WDW's.
DL’s got a pretty big refurb a few years ago. It’s still mostly the same ride as WDW’s if I’m remembering correctly, but a lot of the effects were updated and some modern effects such as projection mapping are used a lot throughout.

I wouldn’t wait an hour for it, but it’s still worth checking out if you have time and the queue isn’t terrible.
Speaking as a Disneyland local, the only times I do Peter Pan there are at rope drop or right before park closing. Anything over 20 minutes, won’t do it!

If you use Disneyland’s Lightning Lane (haven’t tried it) using the old MaxPass rules - start with the ride with the latest return times, then work backwards and get more passes as soon as they’re available - Disneyland opens right up. It has its own pace and character distinct from MK. I hope you enjoy it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom