Trip Report MILESTONE TRIP! First Orlando Visit, Final Disney Park!

THE TIME HAS COME!

In just about a week, I will be starting my very first ever trip to Orlando…and all therein that may be explored.

As the title suggests, among other milestones, this trip will see me visiting my 12th and final Disney Park – Magic Kingdom itself! I have traveled extensively, with all the other Disney Destinations worldwide under my belt, yet somehow I have so far resisted the allures of the Vacation Kingdom. In this week days leading up to my departure, I’ll be going over “why not yet,” “why now,” my itinerary, maybe even soliciting some travel advice.

But for now…Who’s going?

7166D4BC-82E3-4FDB-981E-47ACE8702961.jpeg

Me after a hike at Bryce Canyon (the real Big Thunder). My beard is much calmer now.

Just me. Doug. Typically I’m a regular of the Imagineering forums, but I'm just a dilettante on these Trip Report boards. Traveling solo, as is my wont.

Where? Universal’s Endless Summer Resort for three nights, then the Walt Disney World Swan for like a week.

When? September 21st – October 1st.

The broadest plan is to see as much of Orlando as I can (both Disney and beyond) in the week+ prior to Magic Kingdom’s 50th. That means plans to see Walt Disney World, Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, even the Fun Spots.

Over ambitious, perhaps? Sure it is, but I’ve done my research, and I know my travel style and what I'm capable of! Let’s do this!

Last edited:

Ellen Ripley

Thank you for your report. I very much enjoyed all the commentary and the fantastic photos. I'm not a coaster enthusiast myself, but agreed with your assessment of WDW. Mansion is my favorite too. Epcot is a little bland. Though I do love the Mexico pavilion.
Happy Holidays :D

dtng2000

With Wildlife Express, I’m mixed on it. Not just because of the short distance, the backstage stuff, and the okay destination, but the engines. Don’t get me wrong. I love trains, I love their design and the impeccable detail on them, making them look like they’ve been serving and trekking Eastern Africa since they were built (in 1926 by the real life Beyer-Peacock in England on their builders plate (trains were actually built by Severn Lamb, also in England)), but at the same time, the type of engine they’re based on isn’t really the right one. The engines they’re based on were built in 1882 by the own workshops of a domestic railway. I know the distance between stations is short but I don’t think a little 2-4-2 tank engine of a Victorian design would truly represent the hardy and well traveled trains that run on the Eastern Star. Tank engines built for long distance at that time would’ve have had 6 or 8 driving wheels (and that would those built for domestic traffic). A six wheeled tank engine would seem reasonable enough besides a tender engine, but I think it was a truly missed opportunity to use a very special engine considering the aforementioned Beyer-Peacock. That engine being the garratt, an articulate steam engine that had the working power of two locomotives while only requiring one crew. They were especially common in Africa and ranged in many sizes and gauges, and I believe this type (though built for South Africa and not any part east Africa) would have been perfect for running on the Eastern Star Railway.
NGG11_No51.jpg

Or the garratts could just be 2-4-0+0-4-2 if clearances are an issue.

And I want to tap open the Tree of Life to let flow some ideas. Maybe not for the stretch between Africa and C.S. since people might want to see the animals in their houses; and advertisements in their redundancy; but since the return journey is nothing but dense forest, I think a diorama there would really spice things up. Savannas, highlands, live rainforests, desert, mountains. Really, any habitat active with animals and other interesting features like weather and landmarks would make the trip back that much more memorable.
On the topic of Severn Lamb; the other locomotives that operate at Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland also don't have Severn Lamb builder's plates. Let's start with Hong Kong. In a video released by Michael E. Moriarty, if you take a closer look at the builder's plate, it appears to say Baldwin Locomotive Works with a number on it (I think I see 6243):

Disneyland Railroad #4 Eureka in Paris, built by Severn Lamb and NOT Hugh Phillips like the other three, also has a Baldwin Locomotive Works plate with the number 14358. It can be seen clearly here in a roundhouse video:

It's much like the situation at the Animal Kingdom where these replica plates were likely created to make riders feel like they're riding a historical train, although these were build between the 1990s and 2000s. The Eureka in Paris is probably the last Severn Lamb steam locomotive in operation, as the ones in PortAventura in Spain were converted to diesel propulsion in the 2010s.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom