Trip Report MILESTONE TRIP! First Orlando Visit, Final Disney Park!

THE TIME HAS COME!

In just about a week, I will be starting my very first ever trip to Orlando…and all therein that may be explored.

As the title suggests, among other milestones, this trip will see me visiting my 12th and final Disney Park – Magic Kingdom itself! I have traveled extensively, with all the other Disney Destinations worldwide under my belt, yet somehow I have so far resisted the allures of the Vacation Kingdom. In this week days leading up to my departure, I’ll be going over “why not yet,” “why now,” my itinerary, maybe even soliciting some travel advice.

But for now…Who’s going?

7166D4BC-82E3-4FDB-981E-47ACE8702961.jpeg

Me after a hike at Bryce Canyon (the real Big Thunder). My beard is much calmer now.

Just me. Doug. Typically I’m a regular of the Imagineering forums, but I'm just a dilettante on these Trip Report boards. Traveling solo, as is my wont.

Where? Universal’s Endless Summer Resort for three nights, then the Walt Disney World Swan for like a week.

When? September 21st – October 1st.

The broadest plan is to see as much of Orlando as I can (both Disney and beyond) in the week+ prior to Magic Kingdom’s 50th. That means plans to see Walt Disney World, Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, even the Fun Spots.

Over ambitious, perhaps? Sure it is, but I’ve done my research, and I know my travel style and what I'm capable of! Let’s do this!

Last edited:

D Hulk

Original Poster
3A8A6A5E-5A9B-4C42-8910-E39296FCAC79.jpeg

DAY 4: ANIMAL KINGDOM

Today, bright and early, I departed from Universal. I met up with @Disney Dad 3000 as we spent the day leisurely touring Animal Kingdom. DDad is an experienced WDW vet, so he provided insights and observations even while I set the touring strategy. Big thanks to DDad for his company!

44DAD782-84FD-4621-93AB-7B7079C1529F.jpeg

Kilimanjaro Safaris - Starting early with DAK’s classic headliner hoping to catch some morning animal activity. This is a staggering attraction in scale, comparable to some Safari rides I’ve done in San Diego and at Six Flags Great Adventure, with blurred naturalistic landscaping and theming akin to the Singapore Zoo. This stands on par or above those, and it nicely sets the stage for DAK’s style: less storytelling fantasy, more a contemplation of our world from a unique perspective.

At a calm pace we moved through Africa and Asia - spectacularly detailed and textured lands, conjuring up memories of the adventure travel I’ve done on those continents. There isn’t much “amusement park” going on with tons of activities, but the sightseeing is phenomenal. Kali was closed for now.

02837244-8718-480C-B0BA-10CA6256E4AC.jpeg

Expedition Everest - A signature Disney coaster, and a fun one…better for the visuals than for the ride itself. It’s an innovative ride to be sure, and intense by Disney standards…unpleasantly intense in a few upwards helixes, which create sustained positive G forces. Quite a wonderful family coaster, behind Hagrid’s but still definitely upper tier.

We spent all of 5 minutes rushing past Dino-Rama. It is a blight. I wept a little bit seeing Primeval Whirl undergoing demolition, because I wanted the coaster credit. 😭

326E642F-103B-4B1B-BC01-3C499058F2BB.jpeg

DINOSAUR - Campy, dated and weird; not a good fit for its park. The framing story is gobbledygook. The ride itself, famously, is a track clone of Disneyland’s Indy, and it’s far inferior when compared to one of Disney’s best ever rides. I could barely make out the dino animatronics most of the time. It was all a blur.

We grabbed a late breakfast at the Flame Tree Barbecue, and dined at the lagoon’s edge admiring the Everest vista which dominates so much of the park.

It’s Tough to be a Bug - Already we start settling into an even more lackadaisical pace, doing this because it’s nearby. The queue circling the Tree of Life is gorgeous. The bug show, which I know from DCA, remains a middling supporting attraction, one that’s elevated far above it’s defunct Californian brother by the overall park setting. But it’s far to terrifying for a Disney cartoon show. Children fled the theater screaming in terror.

322000E2-D6B4-44D8-9266-5E99AC33FD95.jpeg

Kali River Rapids - The intricate Indian temple queue is gorgeous, and worth the trouble. As a raft ride, Kali is needlessly tame and short (Disney improved upon this with Grizzly River and Roaring Rapids). As a sightseeing journey continuing Animal Kingdom’s general world traveler aesthetic, it was quite lovely. We both got reasonably soaked, while the other half of the raft exited bone dry.

5FF7DD38-02C8-44F7-A63A-12ADD929596D.jpeg

Maharajah Jungle Trek - For what’s basically a zoo trail, this is excellent! The added Disney touches like the ruined hunting lodge make this low-key one of the park’s very best features.

We were both geeking out on the park’s exploration vibe by now.

Two more Everest ascents.

Train to Rafiki’s - A train to backstage? We didn’t get off at Planet Watch, which looks unthemed, so this was simply a change to sit. Seemed kinda pointless.

B8F4DD16-2E0C-4D5A-A867-58E57909E759.jpeg

Gorilla Falls Trail - Jungle Trek’s lesser sibling, though of course still entirely worthwhile. Not as elaborately themed. The animal exhibits are the highlight, notably the lowland Congo gorillas.

While awaiting a Tiffins reservation, we explored the trails at the base of the Tree of Life. All these trails are Animal Kingdom’s soul. I’m so glad we did them!

EBEA896A-B128-4A83-A8C1-78A52DF6BDD4.jpeg

Tiffins was a slow-paced meal, by design to really stretch out the day. I had a whole fried fish. Disney Dad had a beer (he’s a picky eater).

790B41E8-73A2-494C-8134-6370F396E289.jpeg

Flight of Passage - A 40 minute wait time at mid-afternoon seemed easy enough, especially with a queue this thoroughly engrossing. The ride itself, to my surprise, left me underwhelmed. We got corner seats where the IMAX effect gets stretched out. It was a pretty movie, but not immersive. I think my tastes definitely skew towards physical sets.

Navi River Journey - This, in comparison, exceeded my expectations. It’s just pure eye candy, with an almost transcendental lack of action or conflict. This ride is too short and the line too long (30 minutes). Flawed but still a good C-ticket.

EEC6C84B-C9B3-4875-9DED-70C73BB4313E.jpeg

Festival of the Lion King - The show was slightly truncated and restaged due to COVID, but it’s happy energy still shines through. The version I saw in Hong Kong was better because it was pre-pandemic. Animal Kingdom has the better theater.

Looking to stretch our park time even further, we did Kilimanjaro Safaris a second time with a literal walk-on - didn’t even have to break stride. It was nice seeing the savanna in late afternoon light. I like how each ride is unique depending on the animals’ moods.

Even though we took Animal Kingdom on its own terms and slowed down throughout the day, we still weren’t able to make it until sundown. If Finding Nemo had been operating, this would have been enough. Animal Kingdom is gorgeous, it is a tranquil alternative to the more in-your-face parks, and it needs more things to do.

By now I’m checked into The Swan, my home for the next week. Tomorrow I slow things down even more and simply explore the resort. No theme parks!​

MickeyWaffleCo.

In the Parks
No
I could barely make out the dino animatronics most of the time. It was all a blur.
Ironically, this was exactly how I felt after riding Indy the first time. Everything is just so fast-paced that’s it’s hard to take anything in. The thrill is excellent, but all I can distinctly remember from it are the beginning, the end, and a scene or two in between.

D Hulk

Original Poster
2803FFA2-36FF-4D09-ACB0-06C7815C7AAE.jpeg

DAY 5 IS TURNING INTO A BAR CRAWL

I’m at stop #3, The Edison, on what is shaping up to be a low-energy bar crawl around the Walt Disney World Resort. Soon I’ll be satisfied with Disney Springs, and I’ll take a bus off to Wilderness Lodge for the start of a Seven Seas Lagoon loop.

CFD8DB9B-768D-4A97-96B6-208F707E9774.jpeg

This has proved to be the perfect timing for a day off from parks. I collapsed for a full 10 hours last night, much like I anticipated I would when scheduling this trip.

B53EBD3E-63D4-4249-BAAB-DD53675C8D3F.jpeg

Bus transportation out here from the Swan was just abysmal. After a 20 minute long wait, a charter bus to Disney Springs collected me…and deposited me at some way out-of-the-way
depot like a half mile from the actual Springs. It took a full hour to arrive! I dreaded Disney buses coming into this trip. Let’s hope I have greater luck as the day progresses.

EDIT: Now they’re giving me free drinks on the house! 😍

Last edited:

Disney Dad 3000

View attachment 589088

DAY 5 IS TURNING INTO A BAR CRAWL

I’m at stop #3, The Edison, on what is shaping up to be a low-energy bar crawl around the Walt Disney World Resort. Soon I’ll be satisfied with Disney Springs, and I’ll take a bus off to Wilderness Lodge for the start of a Seven Seas Lagoon loop.

View attachment 589089

This has proved to be the perfect timing for a day off from parks. I collapsed for a full 10 hours last night, much like I anticipated I would when scheduling this trip.

View attachment 589090

Bus transportation out here from the Swan was just abysmal. After a 20 minute long wait, a charter bus to Disney Springs collected me…and deposited me at some way out-of-the-way
depot like a half mile from the actual Springs. It took a full hour to arrive! I dreaded Disney buses coming into this trip. Let’s hope I have greater luck as the day progresses.

EDIT: Now they’re giving me free drinks on the house! 😍

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on WL. Hope heading there first and then 7 Seas worked out!

D Hulk

Original Poster
A1046E2A-0FDA-44BA-894E-192B4A623ED6.jpeg

So the rest of yesterday went:

Contemporary drinks and pinball
Wilderness Lodge drinks and relax
Polynesian dinner and fireworks

I completely underestimated how awful Disney transportation is. From spot to spot seems to average an hour, unless you get lucky with timing. The theme parks and hotels will probably pull their weight, but the transportation automatically hurts my opinion of Disney World. Sorry, guys!

41C0CD6C-F772-4AA7-9D88-A9D7977E5BC4.jpeg

Very sweaty

In the last two days, Disney unexpectedly announced that 30 minute Early Entry for hotel guests would be premiering ahead of schedule before the 50th. Today is the first day. So I briskly walked over to Hollywood Studios, and while most guests zigged towards ROTR, I zagged and am awaiting Toy Story Land…and coaster credit #216​

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
View attachment 589228

I completely underestimated how awful Disney transportation is. From spot to spot seems to average an hour, unless you get lucky with timing. The theme parks and hotels will probably pull their weight, but the transportation automatically hurts my opinion of Disney World. Sorry, guys!

View attachment 589229
Very sweaty

In the last two days, Disney unexpectedly announced that 30 minute Early Entry for hotel guests would be premiering ahead of schedule before the 50th. Today is the first day. So I briskly walked over to Hollywood Studios, and while most guests zigged towards ROTR, I zagged and am awaiting Toy Story Land…and coaster credit #216​
I WISH I WAS WITH YOU, HULK!!!

PolynesianPrincess

View attachment 589228

View attachment 589229
Very sweaty

Transportation from Swan and Dolphin is not very good. When you go to Magic Kingdom, it drops you off at the transportation and ticket center then you have to take a monorail or ferry to MK. Whenever we stay at the Dolphin, we walk over to Boardwalk and catch a bus there to MK as it will drop you off right outside the park and coming home we do the same thing, bus to Boardwalk and then walk back to Dolphin

cgersic

I feel the transportation can be great when you know the timing and tricks as mentioned above. If you are aware of the "work around" it's a little more helpful. Sooo glad you got @Disney Dad 3000 to join you for tips and fun at AK! I think all of the parks are going through some kind of transformation right now and not up to their full potential, but it allows you to slow down so you don't have to pack so much into each day. Really enjoying the report!

D Hulk

Original Poster
C5100A21-EFC4-45C1-8CAB-4799C7C437B0.jpeg
DAY #UNKNOWN
HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS
A BAREBONES RECAP

As said yesterday, I used hotel guest Early Entry on DHS. Toy Story Land was a good first call, because the crowd amassing for Rise of the Resistance at 8:20 with the turnstiles opened but with the rope yet to drop was all the way out into Echo Lake. In contrast, I did all three Toy Story rides before the official 9 AM park opening.

A5AB50E2-6753-4023-BF98-2CB450062342.jpeg

Slinky Dog Dash - A fun Mack Rides launch coaster for the whole family with cute theming. This park’s better coaster 😱. Got lucky with first train of the day, since the pre-opening queue was already becoming unmanageable.

A.S.S. - I was the only person to ride this in at least 4 cycles; no one else wanted the “credit.” These whip flat rides are always fun, but not worth a wait. Mater’s in DCA remains the gold standard.

Toy Story Mania - A station walk-on. Like the others, a good shooter which isn’t exactly my thing, but ideal for its specific audience.

7662D6B5-94D4-441A-9425-B0F554B47841.jpeg

Mickey & Minnie’s Rampage of Revenge - The projected cartoon visuals worked nicely I thought. The larger trackless vehicles aren’t as charming as those on Hunny Hunt or Mystic Manor, which hurts MMRR. So far most everything at WDW seems needlessly oversized and less personal than at the other Disney resorts. (Except Shanghai, it’s also too big.)

EAE0DEED-F9B2-4935-9093-BB8403B35E85.jpeg

Tower of Terror - DCA’s Guardians retheme might have the best on-ride, DisneySea’s might have the best theming, but this is the best overall experience. Glad I finally experienced the hype. This is great!

Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster - A middling mid-90s Vekoma coaster which isn’t as thrilling, or even as well themed, as its clear inspiration, Flight of Fear at Kings Island/Dominion. Slightly rough and rattly too. The rock ‘n’ roll theme is like a bizarre vestige of the old “studio” park style.

Star Tours - Still better than Millennium Falcon!

D4EDEA1E-CC43-4BEC-BCF5-94880315CAF6.jpeg

Muppet*Vision 3D - Adorable, charming, timeless, classic, hilarious.

F4542D7A-21A4-45CE-ACF4-6B807D4302ED.jpeg

Millennium Falcon - Did single rider and got the pilot’s seat. (Standby at 45 minutes is too much, man!) The Orlando local serving as copilot berated me (and the family behind us!) for not knowing the secret tricks for high scores. See, like, theme park rides shouldn’t be enabling competitive a-holes!

Around now I paused, just past 11 and all rides done but for Rise (145 standby!). So I tested out mobile ordering and over the following hour or so I had a Toy Story Pop Tart (tasty!), a Ronto Roaster (bland), and Blue Milk (?!), as a roaming breakfast/lunch combo…a “brunch” if you will. Also explored Galaxy’s Edge.

While both coasts have nearly exact Galaxy’s Edges, I much much much prefer Florida’s. It fits the park it’s in.

D9921E6C-ADCE-4168-BD6C-C579180C1A87.jpeg

Then I left the park around noon, taking a Friendship boat back to the Swan. (I walked to DHS in the morning.) Taking a midday break and a nap, then back to DHS for the evening.

30AB5777-DF42-4365-B256-83C94B9EC758.jpeg

For variety, I decided to take the SkyLiner for the return trip, leaving from the Epcot station. This was enjoyable, better by far than Disney’s buses and boats and monorails, which are all a combo of infrequent, unappealing, low capacity, and/or slow. The overall resort is just too sprawling for its own good. It was not master planned well…or at all. (I can tell already this is going to be a sticking point with readers 😂.)

D4FA0E2D-A702-49D7-AF74-2B9DF19F6AB6.jpeg

No matter. Reached DHS in good time and finally went for Rise of the Resistance, with a not-bad-at-all 45 minute wait being the day’s longest. I’ve done it once at Disneyland, and I’m glad Virtual Queue is gone out here. It’s certainly among the best rides Disney has ever created, though I cannot rank it above certain Pirates (Disneyland, Shanghai), DisneySea’s JTTCOTE, and possibly the Asian trackless rides. That’s rarified company though.

What next? Some slow wandering to soak in the park. Rerode Tower with no wait until the pre-show. Did the entirety of One Man’s Dream; I’m glad they have this. Then did Toy Story Mania again at a 5 minute wait, why not.

Dinner at Primetime Diner proved to be the best meal of the trip so far. Flavorful food and theming which worked better in person than I’d expected. While I couldn’t snag a Sci-Fi Dine-In table, their awesome cast members allowed me a peek inside. What a cool concept! I effortlessly identified the film playing as It Conquered the World starring Lee van Cleef.

57B2CBE8-7146-4E21-B1A9-9078F68EB889.jpeg

And with 10 minutes remaining before park closure, I got back onto Rise with a posted 5 minute wait! Walked directly into the pre-show, which is even less waiting than you’d get with Virtual Queue. Everyone there was agog! Like the energy at a midnight movie!

While I had a post-closing reservation for Oga’s Cantina (I rescheduled it from midday), a whole host of reasons kept me from going inside. Mostly my fault. Not a major loss since we have one at home. Took a boat back to the hotel.

Today, Epcot. Early Entry at 10:30.​

D Hulk

Original Poster
20A75059-478C-43D6-9A0A-B1983266EAFC.jpeg

REFLECTIONS DE EPCOT

Good morning from the Boardwalk’s bus depot, where I am awaiting the swiftest possible transport to Magic Kingdom that isn’t an Uber. Let’s use this time to recap Epcot yesterday.

366D6903-C3C0-4BC5-98C1-122B65B68693.jpeg

Beginning with Epcot Early Entry (EEE!) at 8:30, my first priority was to experience the rides. Starting at Frozen with a fortunate 5 minute wait, I went counterclockwise through Future World slowly enjoying everything over a few hours, including the post-shows. Of course, Future World itself is in the worst shape in its history, a sea of walls like DCA once was before it rose like a Phoenix. Let’s hope this area gains new life as well!

Then it was time to slow down and meet World Showcase at its relaxed pace, slowly circling the lagoon clockwise.

B0CC0A80-4B31-451F-B076-7C9BA532720C.jpeg

Now, I had a ginormous breakfast at Cape May Cafe earlier - unavoidably, since it was a pris fixe. This meant I was never once hungry in the Disney area most famed for snacking. And getting drunk in Florida humidity didn’t appeal to me either. So this left simply exploring the pavilions, which I did extensively.

To be fully honest, I didn’t entirely enjoy World Showcase. The Food & Wine Festival was at full swing, with berserk crowds and manchild tantrums lining the promenade. I’m also still not fully keyed into how to use a big theme park area which largely doesn’t have attractions. This could only work at a travel destination like WDW, not a locals’ hangout like Disneyland. I’m not used to this.

61DF6F59-B070-4AE8-9C93-0C936BCD86AF.jpeg

However, once I returned to World Showcase around sundown - after a brief respite back at the Swan - I found it far more enchanting. The day drinkers had vanished, and Epcot’s oppressive agoraphobic expanses had into a cool nighttime veil. Dinner at Teppan Edo was my favorite part of Epcot; the Japan Pavilion overall was my favorite as well, perhaps because I’m a Japanophile.

By now a bus has ALREADY arrived and we’re in transit to Magic Kingdom way early! I’m super stoked for today.

Magic Kingdom! My twelfth and final Disney park! 😃

cgersic

Your Epcot photos are amazing! My favorite way to do Epcot is just as you did it. Coming back just before the sun sets (I've been staying at POP Century lately so zooming in on the Skyliner watching all the lights come on is just spectacular!) after doing all the rides during the day and taking a break at the resort. Epcot definitely a different experience when it's in full swing, the CM's from the countries are there and the outdoor entertainment is going on. Sadly, that's all missing right now, but I like the optimism and rising like the Phoenix reference! It's truly my favorite park but I'm not a fan of some of the festivals either. I love Flower and Garden and Festival of the Arts because there are beautiful things to look at as well as sample the food. Can't wait to hear about MK today! Glad you're getting such an early start and you got a bus!!
driving season 20 GIF

TheOriginalTiki

Yea, I'm not surprised in the slightest by your less than stellar opinion on Showcase. I had some wonderful times there during my 2018 solo trip but for a world traveler such as yourself it can absolutely be underwhelming. I really do think the native cast members and live entertainment add a TON to Showcase and none of that is there right now. One of my favorite Disney days was simply running around the lagoon trying to catch all the entertainment they had for Festival of the Holidays. Japan is easily my favorite pavilion as well, and I can sing the praises of Tepan Edo all day.

Magic Kingdom is such a mixed bag. Some stone cold CLASSICS that are no longer at Disneyland, but a lot of stuff that's at Disneyland isn't there. The park atmosphere is great in places but EASILY pales in comparison to California. The transition from Tomorrowland and Fantasyland is so damn sloppy it throws me off every time and makes me feel like I'm in a Six Flags park. It's still a wonderful place with a ton of history, though. To me the best thing about going is just taking in all the small differences in the rides. Mansion is very much superior there, but Pirates to me gets a bit too much hate in Florida just because the queue really is wonderful even if the ride experience leaves something to be desired. Generally speaking queues are easily the thing that this park does better than Disneyland hands down (with some obvious exceptions like Indy of course).

erstwo

I’m also still not fully keyed into how to use a big theme park area which largely doesn’t have attractions. This could only work at a travel destination like WDW, not a locals’ hangout like Disneyland. I’m not used to this.

Most interesting. The only Orlando locals I've ever known greatly enjoy(ed) their Epcot after 5 park passes. Because of this, I've always considered Epcot to be the local's hangout.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom