Trip Report MILESTONE TRIP! First Orlando Visit, Final Disney Park!

THE TIME HAS COME!

In just about a week, I will be starting my very first ever trip to Orlando…and all therein that may be explored.

As the title suggests, among other milestones, this trip will see me visiting my 12th and final Disney Park – Magic Kingdom itself! I have traveled extensively, with all the other Disney Destinations worldwide under my belt, yet somehow I have so far resisted the allures of the Vacation Kingdom. In this week days leading up to my departure, I’ll be going over “why not yet,” “why now,” my itinerary, maybe even soliciting some travel advice.

But for now…Who’s going?

7166D4BC-82E3-4FDB-981E-47ACE8702961.jpeg

Me after a hike at Bryce Canyon (the real Big Thunder). My beard is much calmer now.

Just me. Doug. Typically I’m a regular of the Imagineering forums, but I'm just a dilettante on these Trip Report boards. Traveling solo, as is my wont.

Where? Universal’s Endless Summer Resort for three nights, then the Walt Disney World Swan for like a week.

When? September 21st – October 1st.

The broadest plan is to see as much of Orlando as I can (both Disney and beyond) in the week+ prior to Magic Kingdom’s 50th. That means plans to see Walt Disney World, Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, even the Fun Spots.

Over ambitious, perhaps? Sure it is, but I’ve done my research, and I know my travel style and what I'm capable of! Let’s do this!

Last edited:

TheMouseFan

I would like to apologize for those Ohioans. We are not all like that, so please don't judge us all by that experience!! I am hoping to visit your "home" in the relatively near future! I am really enjoying hearing your perspective on the parks. I was even agreeing with everything you said until you got to Living with the Land!! But I won't hold that against you and can't wait to hear about your day at MK!!

meggo819

Wow.....either they really changed the AC in the last couple of years or you are a yeti! When we went in 2016 and 2019, we had to carry sweatshirts with us in July/August because every restaurant was FREEZING. We froze even WITH the sweatshirts, and I heard other guests complaining to managers, or amongst themselves in bathrooms about how cold it was indoors. I was told by my friends who live in Kissimmee that that's a common thing there. Locals know to bring sweaters with them because the AC is always set really high. We brought fleece sweatshirts last time and still got cold in some of the restaurants, though not as bad as in 2016. We ate at T-rex and were seated right next to the grill area and we were still sooooo cold. Even my husband was cold and he almost never needs a coat. It sounds like Disney needs to find a happy medium.
Lol I keep thinking the same thing when he mentions the AC not being good!

Songbird76

Right then, now where were we in Epcot?

View attachment 601032

Ah yes, just approaching the UK Pavilion!

I was nearing the very end of the lengthy World Showcase Lagoon loop, which is reportedly 1.2 miles long. It's longer than that, too, when you're taking detours to peek into every shop and to traipse down every avenue. In that time, without a pause to eat or drink (except for bottled water I had with me), with only the occasional attraction-driven seating pause such as at The American Adventure, I began to grow mighty exhausted. More exhausted, in a way, than I get on a ride-driven park visit.

View attachment 601033

I started to slack off on my stated battleplan of giving every nook & cranny of every pavilion a proper look-see. That was becoming more onerous with the constant donning and removing of my plague mask. (Temporary pandemic requirements.) Interiors like restaurants felt uninviting since I wasn't dining in them. So while I did at least duck into the UK's tea shoppe, I didn't explore the pavilion as much as I should have.

View attachment 601035

I did at least make it to the pavilion's cul-de-sac terminus, which revealed a gentle flower garden scene. Mary Poppins is hidden somewhere in the photo above. Can you find her?

Clearly, with the tea garden and the cozy boulevard outlining the various distinct styles of British architecture, the UK Pavilion is a place I could maybe find charming in a different mood. I find the UK itself to be charming. Something about being sober in Epcot made me anxious.

View attachment 601036

My oh-so-brief tour of the Canada Pavilion was as follows: Found a shop lookin' like Knott's Mystery Lodge. Climbed some stairs to walk around a substantially scaled-down homage to Quebec's Chateau Frontenac. Discovered a dead end balcony with views of some rockwork and the Soarin' show building.

View attachment 601038

There was a tranquil garden space far below, but at this stage, the sheer number of steps & stairs involved for an unknown payoff...it dissuaded me. I was ready to temporarily turn in the towel until dinnertime. Once the wall of exhaustion hits, it hits hard. Odd that I found Epcot - arguably Disney's most relaxing park out of all 12 - the most difficult one in which to relax. The frat-like Food & Wine crowds, plus the heat, all that had something to do with it.

View attachment 601040

I proceeded again past the Canada & UK to reach the International Gateway. My goal now: The Swan, where a Nalgene and a bed awaited. Like with DHS yesterday, a late-afternoon break was definitely called for.

View attachment 601041

A Friendship Boat arrived nearly instantly, to my good fortune. The hot, humid air was unrelentingly still while waiting on the drydock or on the motionless watercraft. Once it got moving, the gentle airflow felt 10x nicer.

View attachment 601042

I knew already from experience & observations that the entire Friendship trek from Epcot to Swan would take as long as walking on foot, if not longer. So once the dreaded muggy unmoving air returned at the Boardwalk dock, I decided to simply walk the remaining distance. The boat still had a Yacht & Beach Club layover to go. Walking again felt nice enough, just for the change of pace. I desperately anticipated reaching my room ASAP.

View attachment 601043

Photo time signatures suggest I was only back at the Swan for 90 minutes and less. Memories begin to fade now 1.5 months after the trip's end. Surely I must've cooled down and showered and changed. I took no more time to rest than I needed, since despite my critiques I truly was eager to return to Epcot at nightfall and see it anew. I reflected on what I liked and disliked about Epcot, especially about World Showcase. I tried to mentally reconcile my iconoclastic opinion with WS's prevailing praise. As this recent Trip Report shows, that has been torturous and unpleasant for me.

View attachment 601044

The Friendship Boats ferried me back over to the International Gateway. There was no time crunch, and I didn't want to work up a sweat. There was an hour to go before my dinner reservation in the Japan Pavilion, there was Impressions de France still to be seen, and the quickly fading sunlight meant that World Showcase's evening lighting would soon be coming to life.​
I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy epcot. If I may, I'd like to offer my take on World Showcase, which is my absolute favorite bit of Disney. Is it a watered down "safe" version? Yes. But I think that's kind of the point. Keeping in mind that Disney is designed for families, it makes world travel approachable, especially to children. I live 15 minutes from the German border...I'd say the German pavilion is pretty much accurate in displaying some basic architecture you'll find in Germany, with traditional foods done in an approachable way so less adventurous eaters can still find something to eat. It's kind of just a taste to show people that international travel doesn't have to be so scary. It's a first exposure, like the Barnstormer is an exposure to thrill rides. Is it on par with Velocicoaster? Of course not, but it's not meant to be. It's meant to introduce you to the basics and hopefully when you graduate to the more complex rides, you are prepared and can handle a little bit more. I can completely understand for you, coming from actually visiting these countries in all their glory first, that this seems a let down. But I think it's not really meant for a world traveler like you....it's more geared toward the beginner who has never been exposed to undiluted culture the way you have. That's just my 2 cents, and I'm really sorry you were so disappointed. I just think it has a really valid place. My daughter got more interested in other cultures by looking at the pavilions. And I know when I was a kid, it was so exciting to think about visiting the real places some day...it just whet my appetite and gave me a motivation I hadn't had before.

amjt660

Premium Member
Well then, they asked, what was my favorite Disney theme park...They were obviously seeking validation (they clearly wanted me to say "Epcot.") I decided to go with Tokyo DisneySea - an honest and neutral and Japanese answer - and the family looked flabbergasted.

I also get the exact same question

My response is always the OG - Disneyland in Anaheim

I find all parks offer something to put them in the running for favorite

Below is my list
(in most likely my reverse order on any given day)

1) DS in Paris - Crush Coaster
2) DLP - Le Chauteau de la Bell au Bois Dormant
3) WDW - DHS - the original and best Tower
4) TKDL - Pooh's Hunny Hunt
5)WDW - EPCOT - World Showcase ( I agree with Songbird's take on it) and I remember the first Imagination
6)HKDL - Mystic Manor , the jungle backdrop behind the castle
7)SDL - TRON , Pirates and the Castle is stunningly beautiful
8)DLR - DCA - Carsland - a little boy's dream
9)WDW -AK - the second most beautiful park
10) WDW MK - "first park I visited "nostalgia
11) Disney Sea - the most beautiful park
12) DLR - DL - the (only) park that Walt truly touched

Max

D Hulk

Original Poster
Yay for you liking the UK as that is my home. 😁

And double yay as 🤞🏻I will be visiting your ‘home’ next July for the first time ever.

I would love permission to pick your brains in the future.

Your take on Disney World, which I have visited on 7 separate occasions, is very honest and from the heart which I really appreciate. But your perspective has shown me things I missed, and things I miss, about it all.

Thanks for sharing.
Please pick my brain whenever you need to! Have a great time visiting my “home” next summer.

I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy epcot. If I may, I'd like to offer my take on World Showcase, which is my absolute favorite bit of Disney. Is it a watered down "safe" version? Yes. But I think that's kind of the point. Keeping in mind that Disney is designed for families, it makes world travel approachable, especially to children. I live 15 minutes from the German border...I'd say the German pavilion is pretty much accurate in displaying some basic architecture you'll find in Germany, with traditional foods done in an approachable way so less adventurous eaters can still find something to eat. It's kind of just a taste to show people that international travel doesn't have to be so scary. It's a first exposure, like the Barnstormer is an exposure to thrill rides. Is it on par with Velocicoaster? Of course not, but it's not meant to be. It's meant to introduce you to the basics and hopefully when you graduate to the more complex rides, you are prepared and can handle a little bit more. I can completely understand for you, coming from actually visiting these countries in all their glory first, that this seems a let down. But I think it's not really meant for a world traveler like you....it's more geared toward the beginner who has never been exposed to undiluted culture the way you have. That's just my 2 cents, and I'm really sorry you were so disappointed. I just think it has a really valid place. My daughter got more interested in other cultures by looking at the pavilions. And I know when I was a kid, it was so exciting to think about visiting the real places some day...it just whet my appetite and gave me a motivation I hadn't had before.
By the time I got around to writing about Epcot’s food yesterday, I feel I was just beginning to see World Showcase this way. It’s safe by design. It’s meant for guests who are just discovering the world. Sometimes it felt like they’d sanded off too many edges - DAK’s Africa & Asia were my favorite lands at WDW for their more direct way of depicting world cultures - but I can see why that’s needed. I’ve been abroad with friends who weren’t ready for the world’s challenges. Then again, I was in Paris once with a girlfriend who announced that the France Pavilion was superior, which rubbed me the wrong way. Kudos to everyone who has been inspired by World Showcase to explore a little on their own! I’d love to hear more stories like that.

Wow.....either they really changed the AC in the last couple of years or you are a yeti! When we went in 2016 and 2019, we had to carry sweatshirts with us in July/August because every restaurant was FREEZING. We froze even WITH the sweatshirts, and I heard other guests complaining to managers, or amongst themselves in bathrooms about how cold it was indoors. I was told by my friends who live in Kissimmee that that's a common thing there. Locals know to bring sweaters with them because the AC is always set really high. We brought fleece sweatshirts last time and still got cold in some of the restaurants, though not as bad as in 2016. We ate at T-rex and were seated right next to the grill area and we were still sooooo cold. Even my husband was cold and he almost never needs a coat. It sounds like Disney needs to find a happy medium.
Years ago I read an Australian’s Florida trip report, which said the same thing about Disney’s AC - freezing cold! He specifically praised Epcot’s pavilion format because it always meant there was a place to escape the heat. With Chapek cranking the heat up on my trip, Epcot became the hardest park in which to stay cool.

Uni’s AC was 10 degrees colder than Disney’s.

Below is my list

5)WDW - EPCOT - World Showcase ( I agree with Songbird's take on it) and I remember the first Imagination

Max
Wow! Our top 4 are identical. I’ll usually place Disneyland above DisneySea…Publicly siding with Anaheim in Orlando seemed unwise.

Probably I’ll do some park comparisons and rankings during the MK section coming right up. As you say, there’s something to recommend at all of these Disney parks (maybe not WDSP), so the middle pack tends to move around a whole lot.

I would like to apologize for those Ohioans. We are not all like that, so please don't judge us all by that experience!! I am hoping to visit your "home" in the relatively near future! I am really enjoying hearing your perspective on the parks. I was even agreeing with everything you said until you got to Living with the Land!! But I won't hold that against you and can't wait to hear about your day at MK!!
No need to apologize for Ohio! I’ve met several truly lovely Ohioans. It’s thanks to Ohio’s hospitality that I first discovered Kings Island and Cedar Point. I wouldn’t be into roller coasters today without that experience. Hope you have just as nice a time coming out to my “home.”

I’m sorry about disliking Living with the Land. 😢

D Hulk

Original Poster
September 28th
Day 8

7ED85813-2ED5-477A-93C9-3BF61DF66E10.jpeg

THIS WAS THE BIG ONE!

MAGIC KINGDOM DAY!

I was up well before dawn, giddy with excitement. Before sunrise, I was already walking over to the Boardwalk so I could catch their bus transportation to the esplanade front gate. By now, I'd learned that Swan's buses would only start service much later, and only go so far as the TTC (a place which frightens me). If I wanted to do Early Entry right, I'd have to visit the Boardwalk.

FB1BD3C4-7C0C-417B-B072-783FE5174694.jpeg

Every day, I discovered a little more of this resort while passing through. This time, I finally entered Boardwalk's lobby area, with a little cushion time available to sit and appreciate it. I was especially taken by this model of an old-timey wooden roller coaster with a loop. Disney's shouldn't tease us with rides it won't make, even if they look like Son of Beast. There's a lot of coaster influence all around Boardwalk, and no credits to be found.

AD3482F3-36BC-4FA2-8C5C-B8E1374F298C.jpeg

There was a smattering of families with younger children (and strollers) gathered around the bus pickup spot once I got out there. This was around 7 AM. A bus arrived within 5 minutes of my arrival - the first of the day? - and enough of us boarded to make the bus feel full without feeling cramped, while maintaining social distancing.

3DE1AB4D-DB36-4E05-A150-7087106CE857.jpeg

The bus deposited us all at Magic Kingdom's access point around 7:30. An hour to go still before Early Entry rope drop...I was taking no chances with Magic Kingdom! From this spot, the entry esplanade was within eyeshot. The milelong boat ride from TTC, following a tramless walk from the parking lot for day guests with cars...It seems like even for resort guests, Magic Kingdom has a whole host of additional arrival steps which no other Disney resort has. I was glad to have a relatively painless arrival.

E34730D7-EAF2-4C93-99ED-FB492C6D557D.jpeg

Though those Seven Seas Lagoon steamer ships sure looked photogenic in the cool morning air. I understand the intent to slowly transition guests from their real world to Magic Kingdom's fantasy world, with Cinderella Castle rising from the treeline during the lake crossing. When they opened this in 1971, the only alternative was Disneyland's oh-so-sudden train tunnel transition from Anaheim sprawl to Main Street U.S.A. The later Disney resorts have effectively balanced convenience and wonder, on smaller footprints. Extra steps or not, the arrival to Magic Kingdom is unprecedented.

A623F986-8AD1-4CC5-B2FD-E80DDC5A888C.jpeg

Guests ahead of me were congregating by the security checkpoint, which wasn't open yet. We kept to a single file line along the lagoon edge. I cracked open the casing to the cinnamon bread I'd bought at Boardwalk Bakery the night before. I quietly ate while watching toddlers run and play.

AB1477D1-D5A2-497E-9F6C-6CA3795A06D2.jpeg

Yes, that's a hotel water bottle, not my beloved Nalgene. I didn't want to risk losing it.

The security checkpoints opened a good 10 minutes before 8 AM...what a fun progression of steps further and further into imagination. I love the sheer anticipation of these waits prior to park opening. It's maybe as much time spent queueing as for an E-ticket later on, but with nothing open yet, time's passes differently. One hour awaiting rope drop is better than one hour in a standby line when time's a -wastin'.

776AB347-C9D7-4E05-BB7F-D6DA1D4A1909.jpeg

One gate after another opened up. Guests of all ages slowly trickled into The Most Magical Place on Earth. This was a steady, low-pressure process - not the mad Pamplona-esque rush of Tokyo's ropedrops - passing through one threshold after another, reaching the Floral Mickey plaza, proceeding under the train tracks, and arriving at Main Street's Town Square beautifully bedecked in autumnal shades.

B8263412-31F8-4ED8-A377-FB2A636B30D4.jpeg

This was finally it! Magic Kingdom! The most visited theme park in the world.

My 12th Disney theme park.

Beginning with Walt's original Disneyland from possibly the first week of my life, following an uncommon route overseas which brought me to the several fascinating international Disney parks, and now ultimately making the pilgrimage to Florida to see the flagship. The moment truly sank in upon rounding the corner of the Emporium and beholding the most celebrated composition in all of theme parks...

B6E4242A-FD5A-48F5-BF85-B7D2EC23E705.jpeg

Magic Kingdom brimmed with potential!​

D Hulk

Original Poster
E12C3499-313B-482C-B59D-DB04E2F9DBE5.jpeg

While my past self is busy rushing through Main Street U.S.A. to secure a good Early Entry position to rope drop Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, let's pause now to reflect on Magic Kingdom as a whole...

It totally exceeded my expectations! :D

3A2977B7-7C7D-44DA-B526-E24AAF5FC09F.jpeg

Magic Kingdom was always the trip's big wild card. By now, I'd already seen five other Disneylands worldwide. At times, those parks blur together. There are a lot of repetitive design elements, a lot of copying, with extremely similar castles and lands and attractions. Magic Kingdom's DNA is all over the newer parks. I wondered if this older park, already so familiar to me indirectly, could stand out among its peers.

EE2C202C-0267-4322-81CD-6CCABC0B4AB6.jpeg

Absolutely, it could! Magic Kingdom was my favorite park at Disney World -

- my second favorite in Florida (nipping at Islands of Adventure's heels) -

- and my third favorite among Disney's overall portfolio (after Disneyland and DisneySea).

1C5599C4-76BE-428A-B70C-750416F29F41.jpeg

You can feel the first generation Imagineers' fingerprints across every square inch of this lovely, extremely functional park. While Magic Kingdom lacks Disneyland's sense of discovery & experimentation, and it lacks the true pioneering passion of a Walt Disney, it otherwise completely comes across as WED's streamlined, finetuned, user-friendly second draft. If Disneyland is Walt's park, Magic Kingdom isn't just Roy's park, it's Marc Davis' park, it's Xavier Atencio's park, it's Rolly Crump's park...it's the park where Disneyland's designers revisited their grand experiment in theme park design and wholly reimagined the concept from scratch, learning from past experiences. Magic Kingdom is the Empire Strikes Back to Disneyland's New Hope. It is the polished studio album compared to Disneyland's raw punk rock garage recording.

DE7D1709-3826-425C-98FC-5E96608EE8B3.jpeg

Like @amjt660, I place Magic Kingdom 3rd overall among Disney's 12. In 4th is Animal Kingdom. For me, the many international Disneylands constantly vie for the 5th slot. Each one offers unique strengths. Tokyo has its incredible maintenance and cast members. Paris has its sheer beauty. Hong Kong has that amazing island setting. And Shanghai has its uniqueness and modern technology. They all suffer from distinct flaws as well, which we won't dwell on. Magic Kingdom, in contrast, is the jack-of-all-trades. It does nothing the absolute best (except attendance numbers), but it does nearly everything well above average, and there are very few areas where it drops the ball (food, mostly).

B38D8A81-136F-49C9-A482-990CC88CEA9D.jpeg

Of course, Disneyland will always rank ahead of Magic Kingdom for me. (I'd argue Disneyland is still the world's greatest theme park.) I'd like to think that's more than just nostalgia talking. Us Disneylanders always cite the Anaheim park's history and its charm, which are qualities which don't often come across to Disney World-trained visitors accustomed to a vacationer's mindset. So ignoring those qualities, in Disneyland's favor, it also has the sheer attraction numbers, with nearly a dozen more rides than Magic Kingdom, with many shared attractions, several unique attractions, and a comparable quality between the two parks’ offerings unless you're nitpicking. Disneyland has its passionate local community which keeps the park honest. And just as you can feel the Imagineers' handiwork throughout Magic Kingdom, Disneyland's lands have that raw sense of newness even 66 years later with layers of improvements added up over time.

913F1A7E-EAE2-4AAF-8CFF-26F3D41F6C82.jpeg

Anyway. Back to the trip report...

While I wish I could've explored Main Street more than I did, I was absolutely in commando mode this morning. I positioned myself carefully by Fantasyland's right pathway, well ahead of crowds which far dwarfed what I saw at Epcot and Hollywood Studios. I was ready to ride this crowd wave, to stay slightly ahead of the pack and surf the big ticket attractions straight out of the gate.

525C27FB-128A-4A96-8797-61D6067FDCA5.jpeg

As 8:30 rolled around and the cast members escorted us single file into Fantasyland, that game plan went into effect. My Magic Kingdom day officially began with Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. While I wasn't swift enough to get the day's very first train, I still had nothing more than a station wait after a lightning fast passage through the still-empty queue. Mine Train's lines would be MK's longest roughly 5 minutes from now, and they'd stay that way throughout the day.

4BDD6B41-29BB-48A0-8446-E43E53B13FCD.jpeg

To a certain extent, Mine Train was just a coaster credit. Not only had I ridden this already in Shanghai, I'd ridden it nearly a dozen times there, usually with hardly any wait to speak of. That convenience was hard to beat! (Same goes for Shanghai's TRON.)

D788B78E-D6B6-485B-BA2E-E0817AF911C9.jpeg

And while the two Mine Trains are near identical clones, Magic Kingdom's is absolutely the better ride. It's so charming and picturesque...if a little on the short side. The setting in Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland is so much better, surrounded on all sides by walkways and decades of mature design. The cottage finale, recycled from the old Snow White dark ride, is missing in Shanghai. This was a great start to the magic!​

Suchomimus

Season 2 GIF by The Simpsons

Now, wait a sec. Not so long ago, you said:

And now ... you're saying that you left your "beloved Nalgene" because you "didn't want to risk losing it." !!!
season 1 crying GIF by Manifest

I think you have that BACKWARDS! If you love something, sometimes you have to take risks, risks of loss. Someone with as much of a poet's heart as you must understand that.
I Love You Lol GIF

And when you take a mere Dasani to your ultimate goal, the place that you've always dreamed of reaching, your personal pinnacle that will top even the peaks you've climbed, what message does it send to your beloved? Fear? Or that the Nalgene is not as important to you as your feeling of comfort and personal control? And isn't that the true loss for a romantic like you?

Watch out. You must embrace your beloved with your heart and soul, and not just await it "and a bed." You are, my friend, risking it all, and may not like what you find.
how to lose a guy in 10 days GIF
Nobody:
Nobody at all:
You, explaining the concept of loss to a guy talking about his water bottle:
morshu-fast.gif

Songbird76

Below is my list

Max
I really want to go to DLR at some point. It's on my bucket list. I do think there's something great about every park we've been to. Pirates of the Caribbean in DLP ("carrots of the pirabbean" to us, or "carrots" for short) blows the WDW version out of the water. But I find it disappointing that DLP doesn't have a Soarin' ride. And I think the food at WDW is a huge draw in itself, quite apart from any of the rides or attractions....Whispering Canyon, Sci-Fi Dine in, 50s Prime Time, all the character dining, it's all so unique to Disneyworld. DLP was severely lacking in great restaurants. The Wild West show was fun, but that was pretty much the only unique dining experience there. WDW has unique dining all over the place.
And I love the World Showcase just for the experience...as much as I want to travel the world, some of it seems too intimidating. I can't imagine going somewhere where I don't speak the language and can't communicate at all, and I'm a picky eater, so that's kind of scary as well. And I can spend a whole day listening to the Voices of Liberty. But I think that's one of the things that is amazing about Disneyworld...maybe not everything is "your" thing, but there's SOMETHING for everyone. I think people underestimate how much there really is to do. Some people are more thrill ride oriented, some are more into cultural experiences, some people love the shows, some prefer dark rides, some are only interested in food...but everyone can find something they enjoy at least.

Songbird76

By the time I got around to writing about Epcot’s food yesterday, I feel I was just beginning to see World Showcase this way. It’s safe by design. It’s meant for guests who are just discovering the world. Sometimes it felt like they’d sanded off too many edges - DAK’s Africa & Asia were my favorite lands at WDW for their more direct way of depicting world cultures - but I can see why that’s needed. I’ve been abroad with friends who weren’t ready for the world’s challenges. Then again, I was in Paris once with a girlfriend who announced that the France Pavilion was superior, which rubbed me the wrong way. Kudos to everyone who has been inspired by World Showcase to explore a little on their own! I’d love to hear more stories like that.

Years ago I read an Australian’s Florida trip report, which said the same thing about Disney’s AC - freezing cold! He specifically praised Epcot’s pavilion format because it always meant there was a place to escape the heat. With Chapek cranking the heat up on my trip, Epcot became the hardest park in which to stay cool.

Uni’s AC was 10 degrees colder than Disney’s.
That's the nice thing though....we all have our favorites and things that....aren't. Were I in your shoes, I'd probably be disappointed by world showcase, too. Animal Kingdom has a LOT more in depth theming of their Asian and African inspired concept, but they are more in general, rather than specific countries, and they have a lot more space to work with for the overall theme rather than just a small pavilion for each country represented. That authenticity speaks more to you than the diluted and "safe" World Showcase does, and I can totally appreciate that. You aren't WS's target audience. But I also have a sort of nostalgic connection to Epcot in general. I was just a kid when we went there the first time....the original Imagination ride was SOOOOO much better than the current one!! And I do remember finding most of The Land pavilion pretty boring. There used to be a show with dancing food, I think? The Kitchen Cabaret....I thought it was ridiculous, and the best part about the Living with the Land boat ride at the time was that it had really tall tomato plants. The rest was not that exciting to me as a kid. Now I see it as a nice relaxing ride, but I'm really not that into the content. It's an opportunity to sit and be out of the blazing sun. It sounds like Epcot is just not your park. But to be fair, I don't think you saw it at its best with all the refurbs and construction going on, and SSE is badly in need of some TLC....the Epcot of the 1980s was much more spectacular. It's too bad you never got to see it in its original glory. But I can absolutely understand why it was not impressive to you at the moment.

My daughter shares your love of the Japanese culture. She's been watching youtube videos to learn a bit of Japanese, she loves anime, and the Kawai and one other style which I can't remember the name of. For school a few weeks ago, they had a culture and art day and her group was doing painting with the Japanese brushes and ink and she LOVED that. They made a painting of bamboo, and then a group painting with some bamboo, a dragon, and a panda...it was pretty cool. But she got really excited last time going to the Japan Pavilion and looking through that galary and pointing out all the things that were typical of this style or that....something about a lot of brightly colored hair clips? And one that's more pastels or something. She was really in her element. My son is autistic and a bit intimidated by even the watered-down Disneyfied pavilions...anything new and different is scary to him. But Disney is an ideal setting for him to be exposed to it...if something is overwhelming, we can just take a break and go back to Test Track, which is his absolute favorite thing at Disney. You can't really take a break from the undiluted culture when you are in the actual country. He found Paris completely overwhelming and we were only there for half a day, and the only place to take a break was McDonalds. Not ideal. He needs small doses, and that's where the World Showcase really shines.

In the end, even if you were disappointed in it, I hope you don't regret the experience overall, and it sounds like you actually really enjoyed Animal Kingdom, so WDW wasn't a total waste. Animal Kingdom is our LEAST favorite park...my son won't set foot inside AK. We had bad experiences there. But everyone has different priorities and what appeals to one won't appeal to another. Not everything can be your favorite.

D Hulk

Original Poster
84E22580-FC8B-4655-B21C-323CF359F1EC.jpeg

There was still plenty of Early Entry time remaining following Mine Train, so I skipped directly across the central path to try out The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. While Hong Kong and Shanghai both have clones of this, I've had really bad luck with them: Hong Kong's is just always closed when I'm there, and Shanghai's broke mid-ride so I evacuated through most of theirs on foot.

That curse got reversed! I successfully completed Magic Kingdom's Pooh without incident.

3EBE3A40-20EE-4D18-91F8-7482D8147FBE.jpeg

This was charming and tranquil, pretty much exactly what you'd want from a classic Fantasyland dark ride themed to Winnie the Pooh. (Tokyo's Hunny Hunt is on a higher tier, more like Rise of the Resistance. Hunny Hunt is jaw dropping!) MK's Pooh has a generous length, without ever feeling too long. It seems approachable for even the most squeamish guests, without the bite of the older Mr. Toad or Snow White dark rides...which are still traumatizing/delighting children over in Disneyland. Taken as it is, Pooh was a delight.

CC559083-31A2-43D6-80C1-AF7B2B59A84E.jpeg

By now there were 10 minutes left in Early Entry. During that half hour, only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are available. But come 9 o'clock, the rest of Magic Kingdom would fling open its doors. There were some west side rides which I wanted to accomplish at the earliest moment, fearing their wait times would swell later on. I wanted to get back to the Hub and prepare for a second rope drop.

ABF24BFC-EFBC-4921-BA35-AFEC7617C29F.jpeg

A cast member posted at Cinderella Castle informed me that this route wasn't an option. The Hub was visibly teeming with guests seen through the castle portico. Besides, the Castle Stage was hosting a park opening show. I had to find another way.

6F4E00EF-F9C3-4509-921B-4425CA85DC07.jpeg

I didn't mention it earlier, but Cinderella Castle is gorgeous. More so from the Main Street side. Its use of proportions, its delicate balance of towers drawing the eyes upwards, is wonderful. This is the most noteworthy upgrade from Disneyland to Magic Kingdom (though I'd hate to see Sleeping Beauty Castle altered). Cinderella Castle perfectly sums up Disney World's ambitions and its differences.

FC5E61A8-3FDC-4A8E-94F3-7F2E58966CE7.jpeg

Anyway, to reach the west side for opening, I had to find where Fantasyland transitions into Liberty Square. This sent me through the vintage, 1971 tournament tent portion of Fantasyland. The difference is stark between here and the lusher, more naturalistic "New Fantasyland." Disneyland's Fantasyland once looked like this, too, before my time, before their 1983 revamp. I prefer the newer Fantasyland designs which soften the concrete plazas with more greenery and more textured storybook architecture.

CA6244DF-1EE2-49B8-8594-B471163B8EEB.jpeg

I passed by Peter Pan's Flight. Only 20 minutes into the day, and with only a smattering of hotel guests inside the park, already the wait time here was 40 minutes! Peter Pan is almost always the one that got away. Between the long waits, the low capacity, and the short ride duration, I rarely do this at Disneyland, or abroad. (Shanghai's hugely excellent Pan is an exception.) I wouldn't do it here either. I would have enjoyed trying it, but there were greater priorities with just one day available.

60A52C45-D0E7-43DD-B562-26BAC2CA4DA9.jpeg

The "new" Fantasyland area nearest to Liberty Square offered more greenery, more shade, with the newer facades to match. I took a break to visit the famous Tangled Toilets, out of necessity. I love it when Disney takes the care to make even their restrooms part of the storytelling.

BFFFE2AD-15E4-410E-9056-4C2E89D1F429.jpeg

There was already a "second rope drop" crowd amassing over here at Fantasyland's boundary. Cast members kept the crowd engaged, and went through a ceremonial countdown as Magic Kingdom officially opened. Crowds surged like a tidal wave down the avenues of Liberty Square. Not really knowing this layout intimately, I took the wider corner along a split path.

85522E98-7C77-49C9-A30C-0D2D37C323BD.jpeg

Though I was mighty tempted by Haunted Mansion right there with zero line, I had a very specific priority at this time of day. So it was upon me to discover a route through Liberty Square, through Frontierland, all the way into Adventureland...

@Songbird76, I greatly appreciate your thoughtful correspondence about Disney World, Epcot, world travel, and how we all experience these things differently. I hope you make it out to DLR one of these days, and I hope that you find it to be magical.

Walt Disney World is truly in a class of its own. Not better or worse, just very, very unique. It's the only Disney resort that's a true resort, a vacation destination unto itself. It has more and better dining experiences for that reason alone. Disney World's audience seems to truly love the familiarity and comfort of repeat visits. WDW has a totally different pace and tone compared to my many, many, many impromptu day trips down to Disneyland. The international parks are more like Disneyland, since they largely cater to local visitors. These foreign parks make for fantastic 1-3 day detours on the start or end of a larger vacation, but they cannot be the main reason for a journey abroad. Tokyo Disneyland would be a great gateway if your daughter wants to explore Japan but craves something familiar to ease out of her comfort zone first. Of course, I'd most recommend the original Disneyland Resort, it would be the most comfortable. Disneyland has the local-friendly atmosphere of the international parks, but in a familiar setting.

ArmoredRodent

You, explaining the concept of loss to a guy talking about his water bottle:
I apologize to Hulk and anyone who was offended or distressed by my post. It was a pretty bad and overly-long tongue-in-cheek comment that marred what is a pretty awesome trip report. Given the current level of Disney plotting and scripting, I probably should have just submitted it to the video division.

D Hulk

Original Poster
2CAFAD5B-B474-46FB-BDA6-532B2F2F9DA7.jpeg

For a month or two before the trip, I would occasionally monitor app wait times. This was doubly important since standby was the only option back in September. Most rides were predictable, but there was one interesting oddity: Jungle Cruise was surging in popularity. Seeing hours-long wait times comparable to Mine Train or Peter Pan. To what do we owe this? Likely a combination of new plussed show scenes, and the recent Jungle Cruise blockbuster.

F5252193-6918-4125-830C-B0B71843A743.jpeg

The wait was already at 20 minutes when I got there. The Hub crowds got here first, and the line continued to grow long after I'd joined it. The wait wasn't too terrible. We moved swiftly, and the queue with its plentiful Jungle Navigation Co. décor was always enjoyable. Though this is a unique case where Disneyland has the better queue I'd say - usually we whiff in that category - thanks to our two-floor boathouse really dominating our smaller Adventureland.

877ED1EE-0E5D-43E7-860D-4CA1177093D6.jpeg

The ride was familiar, and a classic. I recognized it as a mirror clone of Tokyo's version, but better integrated into Florida's convincingly exotic jungle setting. Magic Kingdom benefits from rides like this being built from scratch for their settings, without the sometimes awkward copy-pasting found in Tokyo, or the occasional after-the-fact evolution found at Disneyland. Magic Kingdom's Jungle Cruise is a ground-up version designed around Marc Davis' hysterical animal scenes, plussed with an impressive temple scene, built from the beginning as a comedy delivery system.

E8997F03-EBB8-4CC6-BD66-4FA2E25DBE9E.jpeg

Skippers can make or break this ride. Ours was traditional, straight-down-the-middle, everything-by-the-script, the ultimate textbook Jungle Cruise Classic. Which is great. This is the world's greatest assortment of dad jokes. We enjoyed familiar standards in their original form - "Backside of water," "Elephant's mother-in-law," "They'll get the point." Passengers either laughed or groaned depending on if they got the joke - it's funny specifically because it isn't funny! :hilarious:

153E663D-9F86-4CB2-9B68-353912589BD5.jpeg

Of course the absolutely side-splittingest Jungle Cruise I ever took was at Disneyland this one time, where our skipper did the unthinkable and didn't tell a single joke. And it was golden! Saying that Schweitzer Falls was actually named for Dr. Albert Schweitzer? With the proper delivery, and with a boatload of locals who know the expected punchline, that subversion absolutely slayed!

6BBA3577-5FB3-4321-8D98-45B550C39FC0.jpeg

Jungle Cruise is beautiful anyway, comedy goldmine or no. The often static animal figures are maybe dated to some guests, though I still adore the expansive, convincing version of a romanticized adventure movie jungle. The Disneyland-style parks are especially good at letting the mind play make believe.

094341D3-CD05-4937-893B-1D33D65AF03C.jpeg

E66B5295-1481-43A4-8701-AACDC5D9F908.jpeg

1AD7E94E-14AC-4C1F-A59E-B7C663F74123.jpeg

Adventureland afterwards was teeming with strangely familiar sights, which I've seen piecemeal in other Disney parks abroad. Oh hey, it's the Leaky Tikis, I know these guys from Hong Kong! Oh hey, it's that towering longhouse Tiki Room from Tokyo! Familiar though these elements were, they felt like rediscoveries here. Magic Kingdom's versions were originally designed for their specific Floridian spots - Magic Kingdom is to its credit not a mere duplication of Disneyland on a larger scale - so they fit this park like a glove.

473375DF-839E-43A2-85A5-F481A19C7331.jpeg

I passed through the Caribbean Plaza, but I didn't stop yet. The whole of Magic Kingdom's west side would become my playground in the afternoon, once I'd slow things down. For now, though, even with Jungle Cruise eating up a chunk of valuable morning time, there were a pair of major Frontierland E-tickets which I wanted to conquer before the crowds congealed.​

Songbird76

View attachment 601565

There was still plenty of Early Entry time remaining following Mine Train, so I skipped directly across the central path to try out The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. While Hong Kong and Shanghai both have clones of this, I've had really bad luck with them: Hong Kong's is just always closed when I'm there, and Shanghai's broke mid-ride so I evacuated through most of theirs on foot.

That curse got reversed! I successfully completed Magic Kingdom's Pooh without incident.

View attachment 601566

This was charming and tranquil, pretty much exactly what you'd want from a classic Fantasyland dark ride themed to Winnie the Pooh. (Tokyo's Hunny Hunt is on a higher tier, more like Rise of the Resistance. Hunny Hunt is jaw dropping!) MK's Pooh has a generous length, without ever feeling too long. It seems approachable for even the most squeamish guests, without the bite of the older Mr. Toad or Snow White dark rides...which are still traumatizing/delighting children over in Disneyland. Taken as it is, Pooh was a delight.

View attachment 601567

By now there were 10 minutes left in Early Entry. During that half hour, only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are available. But come 9 o'clock, the rest of Magic Kingdom would fling open its doors. There were some west side rides which I wanted to accomplish at the earliest moment, fearing their wait times would swell later on. I wanted to get back to the Hub and prepare for a second rope drop.

View attachment 601568

A cast member posted at Cinderella Castle informed me that this route wasn't an option. The Hub was visibly teeming with guests seen through the castle portico. Besides, the Castle Stage was hosting a park opening show. I had to find another way.

View attachment 601569

I didn't mention it earlier, but Cinderella Castle is gorgeous. More so from the Main Street side. Its use of proportions, its delicate balance of towers drawing the eyes upwards, is wonderful. This is the most noteworthy upgrade from Disneyland to Magic Kingdom (though I'd hate to see Sleeping Beauty Castle altered). Cinderella Castle perfectly sums up Disney World's ambitions and its differences.

View attachment 601570

Anyway, to reach the west side for opening, I had to find where Fantasyland transitions into Liberty Square. This sent me through the vintage, 1971 tournament tent portion of Fantasyland. The difference is stark between here and the lusher, more naturalistic "New Fantasyland." Disneyland's Fantasyland once looked like this, too, before my time, before their 1983 revamp. I prefer the newer Fantasyland designs which soften the concrete plazas with more greenery and more textured storybook architecture.

View attachment 601571

I passed by Peter Pan's Flight. Only 20 minutes into the day, and with only a smattering of hotel guests inside the park, already the wait time here was 40 minutes! Peter Pan is almost always the one that got away. Between the long waits, the low capacity, and the short ride duration, I rarely do this at Disneyland, or abroad. (Shanghai's hugely excellent Pan is an exception.) I wouldn't do it here either. I would have enjoyed trying it, but there were greater priorities with just one day available.

View attachment 601575

The "new" Fantasyland area nearest to Liberty Square offered more greenery, more shade, with the newer facades to match. I took a break to visit the famous Tangled Toilets, out of necessity. I love it when Disney takes the care to make even their restrooms part of the storytelling.

View attachment 601576

There was already a "second rope drop" crowd amassing over here at Fantasyland's boundary. Cast members kept the crowd engaged, and went through a ceremonial countdown as Magic Kingdom officially opened. Crowds surged like a tidal wave down the avenues of Liberty Square. Not really knowing this layout intimately, I took the wider corner along a split path.

View attachment 601577

Though I was mighty tempted by Haunted Mansion right there with zero line, I had a very specific priority at this time of day. So it was upon me to discover a route through Liberty Square, through Frontierland, all the way into Adventureland...

@Songbird76, I greatly appreciate your thoughtful correspondence about Disney World, Epcot, world travel, and how we all experience these things differently. I hope you make it out to DLR one of these days, and I hope that you find it to be magical.

Walt Disney World is truly in a class of its own. Not better or worse, just very, very unique. It's the only Disney resort that's a true resort, a vacation destination unto itself. It has more and better dining experiences for that reason alone. Disney World's audience seems to truly love the familiarity and comfort of repeat visits. WDW has a totally different pace and tone compared to my many, many, many impromptu day trips down to Disneyland. The international parks are more like Disneyland, since they largely cater to local visitors. These foreign parks make for fantastic 1-3 day detours on the start or end of a larger vacation, but they cannot be the main reason for a journey abroad. Tokyo Disneyland would be a great gateway if your daughter wants to explore Japan but craves something familiar to ease out of her comfort zone first. Of course, I'd most recommend the original Disneyland Resort, it would be the most comfortable. Disneyland has the local-friendly atmosphere of the international parks, but in a familiar setting.
My husband isn't a Disney park fan at all, and I've had to take time to figure out why that was. He enjoys certain aspects, like Space Mountain, and he actually loves Haunted Mansion, but the overall park is just not his jam. He'd rather spend the money somewhere else, and I get that. It doesn't make me love it any less. I can still love Epcot knowing it's not everyone's favorite.

Would you recommend going to Japan in general first and using Tokya Disney as a break, or easing into it by starting with Tokya Disney and then diving into it? My daughter is a total nerd, and she already loves Ramen, and some other Japanese foods, though she's not into Sushi. I'd love to go to all the Disney parks around the world. Everyone raves about Japan in particular, though.

PiratesMansion

Would you recommend going to Japan in general first and using Tokya Disney as a break, or easing into it by starting with Tokya Disney and then diving into it? My daughter is a total nerd, and she already loves Ramen, and some other Japanese foods, though she's not into Sushi. I'd love to go to all the Disney parks around the world. Everyone raves about Japan in particular, though.
When to hit the parks in Japan probably depends on:
1. How ready people are to jump into a new culture and whether or not they would benefit from starting with something more familiar to help adjust. Some people benefit from this transitional period starting at the parks, others are ready to jump in headlong into more traditionally Japanese sites.
2. The TDR refurb schedule and what is important to you. Each time I've been over there, the ride/entertainment offerings have changed slightly over that two week period depending on what's getting touched up (for example, I almost missed Sindbad my first time to Japan because it was closed the day of my first visit. I only got to ride it that first trip because I spontaneously went back a few days later). They're very good at posting this about six months in advance.
3. How it fits logistically into your schedule

I've always done the TDR parks near the end of my time in Japan and I prefer it that way because I'd rather not go to theme parks while I'm dealing with jet lag, but there's no wrong way to do it, and since Tokyo's such a major transport hub there's a fairly high chance you will both start and end your trip there. So when to hit the parks depends entirely on which circumstances fit best for you and your group.

I have also been fortunate to hit all of the Disney parks around the world and I definitely recommend it! It may or may not fit your circumstances but I would be remiss if I didn't point out that it's super easy to combine TDR with HKDL and/or SDL, if you so desire (and if you're not planning on taking a dedicated China trip at some point and thus wouldn't benefit from a Chinese visa, you are arguably incentivized to combine SDL with either of the other two resorts)-going between them is only about a four hour flight, and you might even save money that way. My last time out to Japan, I went with my mother. She flew from Chicago direct to Tokyo and back; I flew from Chicago to Hong Kong to Shanghai to Tokyo and then back to Chicago. My airfare was over $500 less than hers.

That said, Japan has more than enough worthy sites to fill a trip on its own.

Last edited:

Songbird76

When to hit the parks in Japan probably depends on:
1. How ready people are to jump into a new culture and whether or not they would benefit from starting with something more familiar to help adjust. Some people benefit from this transitional period, others are ready to jump in headlong.
2. The TDR refurb schedule and what is important to you. Each time I've been over there, the ride/entertainment offerings have changed slightly over that two week period depending on what's getting touched up (for example, I almost missed Sindbad my first time to Japan because it was closed the day of my first visit. I only got to ride it that first trip because I spontaneously went back a few days later). They're very good at posting this about six months in advance.
3. How it fits logistically into your schedule

I've always done the TDR parks near the end of my time in Japan and I prefer it that way because I'd rather not go to theme parks while I'm dealing with jet lag, but there's no wrong way to do it, and since Tokyo's such a major transport hub there's a fairly high chance you will both start and end your trip there. So when to hit the parks depends entirely on which circumstances fit best for you and your group.

I have also been fortunate to hit all of the Disney parks around the world and I definitely recommend it! It may or may not fit your circumstances but I would be remiss if I didn't point out that it's super easy to combine TDR with HKDL and/or SDL, if you so desire (and if you're not planning on taking a dedicated China trip at some point and thus wouldn't benefit from a Chinese visa, you are arguably incentivized to combine SDL with either of the other two resorts)-going between them is only about a four hour flight, and you might even save money that way. My last time out to Japan, I went with my mother. She flew from Chicago direct to Tokyo and back; I flew from Chicago to Hong Kong to Shanghai to Tokyo and then back to Chicago. My airfare was over $500 less than hers.

That said, Japan has more than enough worthy sites to fill a trip on its own.
Thank you so much for the advice. I think, at least in regards to Japan, E will be ready to dive right in. I didn't realize it would be easy to combine it with China. So did you just have one way tickets for all of those places? Is travel relatively safe there? My understanding is that Japan is really organized and people are rule followers and very polite, but I haven't heard much about travel in China. My best friend went to several countries in Asia....Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, etc. She said India was so filthy it took her two days before she felt safe doing anything and she refused to eat anything with meat in it because it didn't seem sanitary there. She's much more adventurous than I am, and she's traveled a lot, though she is a lot more used to creature comforts than I am, so I'm not sure how well I'd do there. But China doesn't seem like it would be that bad. If we could do a combined TDR,HKDL/SDL trip, that would be awesome. I'm sure ANY country has enough sites to more than fill a trip on its own, but I wouldn't know where to start. I think for my daughter, it would be more about experiencing the culture than seeing specific sites. For me, as much as I want to see everything, I'm very intimidated by the language barrier.

PiratesMansion

Thank you so much for the advice. I think, at least in regards to Japan, E will be ready to dive right in. I didn't realize it would be easy to combine it with China. So did you just have one way tickets for all of those places? Is travel relatively safe there? My understanding is that Japan is really organized and people are rule followers and very polite, but I haven't heard much about travel in China. My best friend went to several countries in Asia....Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, etc. She said India was so filthy it took her two days before she felt safe doing anything and she refused to eat anything with meat in it because it didn't seem sanitary there. She's much more adventurous than I am, and she's traveled a lot, though she is a lot more used to creature comforts than I am, so I'm not sure how well I'd do there. But China doesn't seem like it would be that bad. If we could do a combined TDR,HKDL/SDL trip, that would be awesome. I'm sure ANY country has enough sites to more than fill a trip on its own, but I wouldn't know where to start. I think for my daughter, it would be more about experiencing the culture than seeing specific sites. For me, as much as I want to see everything, I'm very intimidated by the language barrier.
I booked all of my airfare on a single ticket, with Hong Kong and Shanghai as stopovers on the way to Tokyo. Per Tom Bricker's advice, I used matrix.itasoftware.com and input all the destinations and dates in as part of a single trip to see what my options were. You can't book directly on that site, unfortunately, but I was able to use the flight information from ITA to book what I wanted directly through American Airlines and their travel partners. It's a bit complicated to explain, but think of it as being similar to inputting several destinations on Google Maps the way you would for a road trip. I found this particular page very helpful to understand how it all works: https://www.disneytouristblog.com/tokyo-hong-kong-honolulu-stopover-single-airfare/

Hong Kong, Tokyo, and Shanghai are all relatively safe places to travel. Japan especially does a wonderful job with this.

Hong Kong is (technically) a special autonomous region of China, and is very different culturally than Mainland China, a sort of east-meets-west vibe because of its history. It might even be in some ways easier than Japan because there is more English spoken there, although not as much as their used to be. You don't need a visa to go to Hong Kong under normal circumstances.

Mainland China is a bit complicated, though how complicated it is depends on what your ambitions are (ex. just Shanghai Disneyland? The city and the park? More than that?). The culture is the biggest departure from our own of any of the places where Disney parks are located, and there just isn't a lot of English spoken in general. I would definitely do the research on what to expect if you head there and make sure you are exacting in bookings, paperwork, and logistical planning-it's not a place to walk into blind, even if you're just doing the park and then leaving the country. It's not as intimidating as I'm probably making it sound (and Hulk has an excellent trip report on this site about his experiences in China if you want to get a glimpse into what China is like), but it's important to be informed and get everything in order, etc. as it's a bit more complicated than going to Japan or Hong Kong.

To go to China, you need either a dedicated visa (which allows you to navigate the country more freely for a longer period of time but requires investing time and money to getting it right) OR the easier option for most people-the transit visa. The transit visa allows you to stay in Shanghai for up to five days, but it only works if you are flying in from one international airport and flying out to another (ex. you could fly from LA to Shanghai to Tokyo, but not from LA to Shanghai to LA).

The language barrier is definitely intimidating, but it's not nearly as bad as many people imagine it to be. Public transportation is consistently bilingual (as well as safe, cheap, easy to use, and clean!), especially in large cities and/or areas that see lots of tourists, as is any need-to-know information you will encounter. The Japanese are incredibly helpful and polite whether or not you speak the language (though knowing even a few basic words in Japanese will make a huge difference), and many restaurants in Japan have fake food displays that, if all else fails, you can simply point to what food you would like to eat. American restaurants will have English menus available. Though there are a few differences here or there at the parks, the basic experiences and rules are the same regardless of culture. As Hong Kong was a British colony for much of its life, all of the infrastructure is bilingual, and there are still many people who speak or at least understand the language (and HKDL is the one international park where essentially everything is in English on at least some level). Mainland China is more difficult, but not insurmountably difficult either, especially if you're just seeing the park and leaving.

But I'll say this as well-I've never gone into a foreign country knowing more than about seven words of a given language, and in the ~7 non-English speaking countries I've been to, I've never had any serious problems or communication difficulties. My mother went into Japan knowing not one word of Japanese and she was VERY nervous about getting around, communicating, etc. By the end of the trip, she was going around Tokyo on subways by herself, and she had such a wonderful time in Japan that she wants to go back! While reading up and practicing a language definitely helps make a trip better and shows respect, I've found that at least for me and my travel partners the language barrier tends to be much worse in your head than it typically is in reality.

D Hulk

Original Poster
8491E2F2-9E7A-4E13-8F06-791C949E8322.jpeg

Next on the agenda was conquering Magic Kingdom's Mountain Range - Splash, Space & Thunder Mountains. While even by Disney World's standards these three aren't the most intimidating trio of thrill rides, they are spoken of in awed, hushed terms among the fandom. This trio is the perfect group of stepping stone thrillers. They are among the most accessible thrill rides in the world. And even if thrills aren't your thing, their theming is endlessly delightful.

558D2827-F24E-46A9-8E7B-9B65F3A7B2F3.jpeg

Magic Kingdom's guests were in some ways the most diverse I've seen in any park. Not culturally, but in factors like age or body type or family composition. Even at other Disney World parks, or the other Disneylands worldwide, the crowds don't quite run this gamut. I witnessed elderly guests who were just figuring out the theme park experience. I witnessed guest for whom the Mountains would be the wildest thrill ride of their life. For Disney World's clientele, yes indeed, Big Thunder & co. are absolutely top tier terrors.

2E47CAD3-5F96-44D0-93C5-5852AD999D49.jpeg

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad takes less time to ride, so I began there. Less time for Splash's line to grow. Like the world's other Big Thunders, this one is thoroughly themed and art designed from every angle. The Monument Valley-inspired mesa buttes beckon you, and subtly recall the spires on Cinderella's Castle. Much of the attraction is extremely familiar from Tokyo...familiar, yet still unique enough. This ride is worth braving entirely for the sightseeing.

0FFE3E42-AEF7-4D92-9813-C70803CEAC5C.jpeg

Magic Kingdom's Big Thunder gets a bit of a bad rap when comparing the parks, mostly because it's on the wrong end of its maintenance cycle. The coaster track has seen a lot of wear and tear, and some ride effects are growing long-in-the-tooth, so a refresh similar to what Disneyland got recently could really help. It's harder to find the time for a lengthy year+ closure at Disney World when so many visitors are on a once-in-a-lifetime trip.

02AC94FE-F1D9-47D1-9783-1BB97C1046CA.jpeg

Those issues barely phased me, to be honest. I was still blown away. This Big Thunder has a fantastic setting right alongside the Rivers of America, which made the ride for me. We had several close call interactions with the nearby passing Liberty Belle - only one train every half hour gets this delight - which added an unexpected, very welcome additional thrill.

A47F05C2-AB81-46DF-9FBC-ABBE7AF646BC.jpeg

Splash Mountain was my follow-up. Even though Magic Kingdom had been open for the better part of an hour by now, the wait I experienced couldn't've been more than 10 minutes, max.

3E9D2768-E72A-4CBA-B8ED-ADC2FEDFD1B3.jpeg

Compared to Disneyland's original "prototype" Splash, Florida's (and Tokyo's) is much more refined, much more "Disney." More charming, gentler, more character-driven. I can see why there's so much more fandom around the Florida version.

B47E8FD7-7935-4B8E-A8E2-C937BF1ABA51.jpeg

Technically, Disneyland's Splash might be the only one that's a genuine log flume ride. In Anaheim, you sit single file, your log rushes through the course at a breakneck pace, and the overall ride experience emphasizes the drops (some with airtime!) over the scenery. Florida's Splash spends more time luxuriating in the slow interior boat ride sequences. You enjoy longer views, and even additional scenes. It's all much slower paced and more traditionally magical, with a calmer bluegrass soundtrack to fit the vibe. The climactic drop was surprisingly tame, but consider that just a kick of spice to round out a heartwarming, song-filled Disney classic.

182AFE79-8608-412C-90D0-8C2FEC0AE6E6.jpeg

What more is there to say? Both Splash and Thunder are quintessential Disney Park experiences. To my generation, they feel foundational. Almost hard to judge objectively compared to the newer rides. Both are park additions from second generation Imagineer Tony Baxter, but both feel like they've been there forever.

Next up, Space Mountain.

6F36D744-5FCC-4BF1-B151-951B2762B512.jpeg

Wow, @PiratesMansion more than answered @Songbird76 's question! There's little I can add here. Songbird, since you've mentioned that the language barrier intimidates you, starting with Tokyo Disneyland might be the best approach. Since you already know how Disney parks work, things will feel more familiar while you ease into a new culture. Tokyo's cast members are unparalleled, even with the language barrier, so you'll be amazed at how easy it all is. There's signage in English not just at the resort, but throughout Tokyo (and Hong Kong and Shanghai), since all are major world cities at cultural crossroads. Tokyo would be a fantastic starting point, especially for your daughter. Her passion for Japanese pop culture means places like Harajuku, Shinjuku, Akihabara (all Tokyo neighborhoods) will be must-do. Sadly, from what you've said about your son, I fear Tokyo would be far too outside of his comfort zone. (Also, avoid weekends or Japanese holidays. Tokyo Disneyland can get very crowded, and the locals have a gameplan.) Right now is an awkward time to go abroad, however. Hopefully in a year or two, pandemic restrictions and requirements will be clearer.

D Hulk

Original Poster
4C3ED0A8-C6A2-4914-9269-BDABF3028A5B.jpeg

Let's make this one of those image-heavy posts.

By now, I'd already accomplished most of the day's high-priority rides. There were a whole lot more attractions which I wanted to do, but crowds weren't going to be an issue. So it was time to step on the brakes and admire the same areas where I'd just rushed past. Magic Kingdom - all the castle parks, really - totally rewards this slower approach. Magic Kingdom also works for a park commando ride-ride-ride mentality; it's a wonderfully balanced, deep theme park, when it comes to different touring styles. The other Disney World parks are more one-note.

So I explored the geyser promontory near Big Thunder's exit, admiring Frontierland's vistas. These viewpoints provided non-riding guests with plentiful Big Thunder views (so does the Railroad, when operating). This is thoughtful, since perhaps a majority of Magic Kingdom's daily visitors won't be braving this roller coaster.

Soon, I would meander from Frontierland through the Hub on my way to Space Mountain. Let's bask in that journey...

1278F00D-248F-46C8-B323-5FA49B61296F.jpeg

09305993-BF32-4BE1-925A-22F375A91265.jpeg

4501F87F-DBB8-4F07-9750-9E0BE6170C21.jpeg

966E9A04-2C77-4BE7-91F0-3483164C20C2.jpeg

AE315AD3-619E-46DE-AEF4-026318253C6E.jpeg

4D4B529E-0F06-43C6-BF13-183DDA1B030E.jpeg

2433D055-E6C6-496F-A5CB-C5BBC5105574.jpeg

8E3A43E0-9C70-4159-A104-AC9053417A2B.jpeg

489E4953-E2D5-49AE-89B7-442D0666CD0E.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom