Mickey Shorts Animation and Style

SpectreJordan

Even as a child, I was a true Disney loyalist and felt guilty admitting to myself that I didn’t find the classic Disney shorts as funny as Loony Tunes, Tom and Jerry, etc. The new Mickey shorts, however, make me smile and laugh whenever I watch them.
I think the Donald & Goofy shorts could stand alongside Looney Tunes/Tom & Jerry. But yeah, the old Mickey, Pluto, etc... aren't as funny.

However, these new Mickey shorts are some of the funniest cartoons out there right now; I find them a lot funnier than the HBO Max Looney Tune shorts tbh (those have better animation though).
I would disagree a little there. It's all done in good fun, but some of the episodes do make fun of Mickey's unfailingly cheerful and helpful reputation. He's a bit of a helicopter parent/pet owner in School of Fish. He's almost cluelessly naive in The Big Good Wolf. His inability to say "no" to anyone is played up in Supermarket Scramble and Houseghosts. And in Just the Four of Us, they hilariously demonstrate just how exhausting actually being friends with Mickey and Minnie would feel (this episode is a series highlight for me, although my wife finds the references to horror films a little too creepy).

I'd say it's rule of funny. Whatever's funniest for the plot is what they'll go with. Lots of old cartoons did this.

I wouldn't say any of those shorts are disrespectful of the character either. They're definitely not like Ren & Stimpy as I've seen it been compared to. I think the real best comparison for these new Mickey shorts is Spongebob.

Haymarket

I love them (their designs and the shorts), except that I find Goofy's appearance viscerally repulsive; I'm still perplexed as to how his design was approved. At least he's still his affable self, however. All the others look great. [Edit: apparently I'm not alone re Goofy.]

Goofy_G.jpeg

Last edited:

Stumpos

I love them, except that I find Goofy's appearance viscerally repulsive; I'm still perplexed as to how his design was approved. At least he's still his affable self, however. All the others look great. [Edit: apparently I'm not alone re Goofy.]

View attachment 691728
I think the mindset for Goofy's design there was to harken back to Dippy Dawg from his earliest appearances.

_caleb

Original Poster
I love them, except that I find Goofy's appearance viscerally repulsive; I'm still perplexed as to how his design was approved. At least he's still his affable self, however. All the others look great. [Edit: apparently I'm not alone re Goofy.]

View attachment 691728
You certainly don't have to like Rudish's take on Goofy, but he doesn't always look exactly like that.

00_1180w-600h_mickey_070622-780x440.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 2.18.59 PM.png

Part of the shorts' characterizations is changing their appearance to convey a feeling. Again, not everyone's cup of tea, but it can be fun and creative and it certainly isn't boring:

Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 2.21.12 PM.png

3171ac57c29f6797482178c2b012c71c.jpg

f29.jpg

Heppenheimer

You certainly don't have to like Rudish's take on Goofy, but he doesn't always look exactly like that.

View attachment 691806

View attachment 691807

Part of the shorts' characterizations is changing their appearance to convey a feeling. Again, not everyone's cup of tea, but it can be fun and creative and it certainly isn't boring:

View attachment 691808
View attachment 691809
View attachment 691810
"Tell us about <whipcrack> The Code."

"<whipcrack> The Code?"

"<whipcrack> The Code!"

That Cheese Wrangler episode is my 4 year old's favorite.

_caleb

Original Poster
Yep, wanted to make a point that wasn’t brought up in this specific thread in my own words and I feel it deserves to be heard. But yeah, Mickey Mouse Works/House of Mouse.. ignored/forgotten/not utilized as part of his history ‘again’… can’t be just a coincidence.. In regards to having further discussion, we already had it in another thread. I’m not adding anymore here. I promise. But it still comes off as ‘really’ weird & off-putting to me how Disney continuously does this to such an important part of Mickey’s history in regards to tv animation. Not just his debut in an original animated series ‘but’ the first series produced entirely in HD resolution. My opinion on the projects that came after that isn’t important, what ‘is’ though is the erasure/non-acknowledgement of that part of his history in ‘every capacity’. ‘That’ is weird & doesn’t make any logical sense.

I don't think Disney is particularly proud of the Mouse Works/House of Mouse TV content from that era. It was quickly-made, low-budget, and poor production quality.

Inspired Figment

I don't think Disney is particularly proud of the Mouse Works/House of Mouse TV content from that era. It was quickly-made, low-budget, and poor production quality.

Truth be told, it wasn’t. Have you actually watched it? Very close to Theatrical cartoon quality. One of the most high quality shows of that period. Both from a writing, animation, and even art direction standpoint. A perfectly modernized take on Classic Mickey. Utilizing the art direction of the 40s (sometimes even the earlier periods of the 30s & 20s) and updating the writing & humor with a more contemporary twist. Full of personality, emotion, and humor that doesn’t ever veer towards gross out stuff. And in the argument you’re making against me, could be used against your preference of the current Rudish show vs say.. Get a Horse. Disney’s lack of acknowledging this show makes ‘no’ sense whatsoever. It even had 2 direct to video holiday specials released in different years. No way would they do that if it were never popular.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

I’m positive at this point that it’s purely inner politics/egos at work not allowing it to be acknowledged or released out of spite/contempt for it due to Roy Jr.’s direct involvement with it during the Save Disney period to oust Eisner and management keeping him in & nothing more.

I may not like the CG preschool or new Rudish takes, but I’m not petty enough to not even acknowledge their part in history or not let them be released.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

If you're referring to Mickey's Once/Twice Upon a Christmas movies, those aren't based on Mickey Mouse Works and House of Mouse.
Nope. Mickey’s Magical Christmas: Snowed in at the House of Mouse & Mickey’s House of Villains (Halloween themed). Which are directly tied into the show and also not available to watch on Disney Plus.
A511F163-0F3F-4E41-AD11-06410B644194.jpeg

52F519DF-A917-4AF7-9BD3-2891C739300D.jpeg

Last edited:

_caleb

Original Poster
Truth be told, it wasn’t. Have you actually watched it? Very close to Theatrical cartoon quality. One of the most high quality shows of that period. Both from a writing, animation, and even art direction standpoint. A perfectly modernized take on Classic Mickey. Utilizing the art direction of the 40s (sometimes even the earlier periods of the 30s & 20s) and updating the writing & humor with a more contemporary twist. Full of personality, emotion, and humor that doesn’t ever veer towards gross out stuff. And in the argument you’re making against me, could be used against your preference of the current Rudish show vs say.. Get a Horse. Disney’s lack of acknowledging this show makes ‘no’ sense whatsoever. It even had 2 direct to video holiday specials released in different years. No way would they do that if it were never popular.

I'm not arguing, just discussing. Most of this is just our opinions, after all.

I have seen most episodes of both. The shorts may have been of higher quality than, say, the wraparound stories, but they were not given the same time, effort, resources as features, and, in my opinion, it shows.

I have no doubt the shows were extremely popular. They were on the Disney Channel at a time when premium cable watching was at its peak–especially for children's programming. But I think the quality of those shows (along with the fact that they are on YouTube), is not well-regarded internally and factors into their not being available on Disney Plus.

I mean, even in you love HoM, the quality differences seem obvious:

EDIT: Mouse Works and House of Mouse aired on ABC Saturday AMs, not Disney Channel. Thanks, @Stumpos!

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

I'm not arguing, just discussing. Most of this is just our opinions, after all.

I have seen most episodes of both. The shorts may have been of higher quality than, say, the wraparound stories, but they were not given the same time, effort, resources as features, and, in my opinion, it shows.

I have no doubt the shows were extremely popular. They were on the Disney Channel at a time when premium cable watching was at its peak–especially for children's programming. But I think the quality of those shows (along with the fact that they are on YouTube), is not well-regarded internally and factors into their not being available on Disney Plus.

I mean, even in you love HoM, the quality differences seem obvious:

I get your argument against feature animation vs television animation.. but, we’re simply discussing the merits of a Mickey cartoon series, not a feature film. Of course they’re not gonna have the same animation quality as the full length theatrical features. This even applied back in the old days of Snow White & Pinocchio in comparison to the Mickey & Friends shorts being made then.

Inspired Figment

Television Animation even today is the one making the Rudish shorts, not the theatrical animation unit. Infact, I’d say the animation itself is quite comparable when it comes to tv animation. The real difference is in the art direction & writing.

_caleb

Original Poster
I get your argument against feature animation vs television animation.. but, we’re simply discussing the merits of a Mickey cartoon series, not a feature film. Of course they’re not gonna have the same animation quality as the full length theatrical features.
Right. TV was seen as a "lesser" medium, meant to have smaller budgets, short production cycles, and lower standards for quality. Today, the motion picture landscape has changed to a point where the distinction makes a lot less sense.
This even applied back in the old days of Snow White & Pinocchio in comparison to the Mickey & Friends shorts being made then.
OG Mickey shorts were still produced by the same animators using the same processes as features (this was before people had TVs in their homes). It wasn't until the 50's that Mickey started appearing on TVs, and that's when the "lesser" production approach began. Disney Television Animation was launched by Eisner in 1984, and many of those projects were outsources to international studios. You can see the quality differences it in the animation itself. (Note: I'm not saying any of the TV content isn't good!)
Television Animation even today is the one making the Rudish shorts, not the theatrical animation unit. Infact, I’d say the animation itself is quite comparable when it comes to tv animation. The real difference is in the art direction & writing.
Yes, in recent years (with the rise of streaming,) Walt Disney Animation Studio and Disney Television Animation are practically interchangeable. Where it used to be the "A-Team" and B/C-Team," now it can be a toss-up whether a job goes to one or the other (or, in rare instances, both)!

Rudish's Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse, is housed under DTA, but uses a higher-quality production process (and budget!) usually reserved for features.

It's obvious you're a fan of animation. Why assume Eisner-era Mickey isn't on Disney+ due to some personal vendetta Iger has for Roy? Why not entertain other possibilities?

Inspired Figment

It's obvious you're a fan of animation. Why assume Eisner-era Mickey isn't on Disney+ due to some personal vendetta Iger has for Roy? Why not entertain other possibilities?
Because it doesn’t make any sense to me otherwise why they should just erase and/or prevent free goodwill & profit flowing in from an otherwise very positively received show and an important landmark in Mickey’s history regarding his television animation debut…
I also think perhaps the situation with Journey Into Imagination and Dreamfinder & Figment has made me think this way aswell. Inner politics has been stopping that from happening for many many years aswell.. and it’s what ultimately closed the original, beloved iteration of the attraction. Execs used Honey I Shrunk the Audience to close the attraction, put all the focus all the sudden on the Magic Eye Theatre next door and intentionally lessened the ride & ImageWorks portions in marketing, signage, and queue ropes. They changed guest flow ‘to’ get attendance levels down on Imagination to change it. And even with all the pushback they’ve gotten from that decision and all the sales from Figment merch & appearances in Festivals. They still refuse to do the right thing with it.. ‘that’ is why I don’t trust Disney anymore and typically feel most of their issues stem from corporate egos who simply want to leverage the company for their own gain (typically position, power, and their own profit) rather than anyone else’s or benefiting art , the company’s legacy, or society in a way that’s positive like Walt set out to do.

Stumpos

House of Mouse and Mickey Mouse Works actually premiered on ABC as part of the One Saturday Morning block, not on Disney Channel (they didn't start moving production of new shows to Disney Channel until 2002 with Kim Possible).

Course I notice a lot of shows from that era like Nightmare Ned, Jungle Cubs, The Weekenders, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, Lloyd in Space, Teamo Supremo, and Filmore (aside from the UK) aren't on Disney Plus either so maybe it's an era thing in general?

_caleb

Original Poster
Because it doesn’t make any sense to me otherwise
Right. But you're dealing with limited information here.
why they should just erase and/or prevent free goodwill & profit flowing in from an otherwise very positively received show and an important landmark in Mickey’s history regarding his television animation debut…
As I said, there are other reasons. Quality may be one such reason. You may well be right that internal politics are another.
I also think perhaps the situation with Journey Into Imagination and Dreamfinder & Figment has made me think this way aswell. Inner politics has been stopping that from happening for many many years aswell.. and it’s what ultimately closed the original, beloved iteration of the attraction.
Lots of speculation here. I don't think even the parks execs care as much about all this as you do.
Execs used Honey I Shrunk the Audience to close the attraction, put all the focus all the sudden on the Magic Eye Theatre next door and intentionally lessened the ride & ImageWorks portions in marketing, signage, and queue ropes.
They saw an opportunity for a movie tie-in. And as much as people today look fondly on the original Imagination, I'm not sure it was seen as super valuable to parks execs.
They changed guest flow ‘to’ get attendance levels down on Imagination to change it. And even with all the pushback they’ve gotten from that decision and all the sales from Figment merch & appearances in Festivals. They still refuse to do the right thing with it.. ‘that’ is why I don’t trust Disney anymore and typically feel most of their issues stem from corporate egos who simply want to leverage the company for their own gain (typically position, power, and their own profit) rather than anyone else’s or benefiting art , the company’s legacy, or society in a way that’s positive like Walt set out to do.
Again, you're assigning motive and assuming drama where I just don't think it exists. I know on a few occasions, things we love are not promoted because of sponsor relationships, complexities in broadcast rights, and to work around future plans. Sometimes, it's just Disney being a business.

Ultimately, they know people will pay anyway, so why bother?

Disney+ is doing fine without the low-budget House of Mouse shorts, which are mostly available on YouTube. I think you might be reading too much into it.

_caleb

Original Poster
House of Mouse and Mickey Mouse Works actually premiered on ABC as part of the One Saturday Morning block, not on Disney Channel (they didn't start moving production of new shows to Disney Channel until 2002 with Kim Possible).

Course I notice a lot of shows from that era like Nightmare Ned, Jungle Cubs, The Weekenders, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, Lloyd in Space, Teamo Supremo, and Filmore (aside from the UK) aren't on Disney Plus either so maybe it's an era thing in general?
You're right! Editing my post to correct my mistake.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom