Mickey Shorts Animation and Style

Inspired Figment

My own personal issue with the 2012-now Rudish shorts is that they almost mock Mickey in a way throughout; gross out humor, psychotic/completely unhinged personality, and all, rather than him simply act mischievous in a playful, naive, childlike way & lighthearted humor, visual gags towards whatever situation he’s going through. His emotions & reactions simply are supposed to change depending on that.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Wholesome wasn’t his personality from the 30s-90s. He became more of a leader and his nicer side shined more but it didn’t completely do away with his more angry, mischevious, or emotional sides. Watch some episodes of Mickey Mouse Works and you’ll see what I’m talking about. It’s a lie that actually stemmed from Clubhouse’s exposure. Clubhouse is available on Disney Plus btw. You’ll see ‘exactly’ what I’m talking about. And while 50s Mickey was Def made to be more wholesome, he had some genuine humor, still got mad and got genuinely upset in other instances. But Clubhouse.. ‘completely’ erased.
I’m a forty-year-old man who grew up watching the classic shorts and has never seen even a minute of Clubhouse. Whatever thoughts I have on Mickey are based on my own decades-long acquaintance with the character and are in no way the result of what you view as Iger’s manipulation of his legacy. I respect your views on the matter, and they may well apply to others, but they don’t describe my situation.

Inspired Figment

It’s more a matter of costume than design, but I absolutely love Minnie, Daisy, and Clarabelle in their ’80s getup. I can’t get over the fact that they’re dressed pretty much like Madonna in her Like a Virgin days!

tumblr_peakmmwtn51t0xyebo4_1280.jpg

EPSON085.JPG

MV5BYmE4MWM2NzMtMTRmNi00NmY3LTliY2YtYzczMmYxN2E0MmY5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQ0NzE0MQ@@._V1_.jpg
Truth be told, this is a one-off album. That wasn’t the entire identity of Mickey & Friends in the 80s. Not sure if you’re familiar with Worlds of Wonder’s Talking Mickey Mouse & Goofy (similar to Teddy Ruxpin & Grubby by the same company) released in 1986. But all 13 of the read-along storybooks & cassettes released for them were great with a lovely art direction, storytelling/humor, & audio production. (Not to mention great audio-animatronics programming. Legit theme park quality) Walt Disney/Disneyland Records did all those from my understanding and may have been written by Jymn Magon who was heavily involved with much of the Disney Afternoon series we love from the 80s-90s. ;
The Impossible Journey
A Moose on the Loose
A Mystery in Paris
The Secret Island
The City Beneath the Sand
Follow That Ghost!
The Magic Boomerang
The Great Kite Caper
Goofy’s Last Waltz
The Missing Meatball
The Littlest Viking
Secret of the Silver Mine
and The Little Lost Elephant.
All new/original but heavily inspired by some of the old comics & classic cartoons featuring the voices of Peter Renaday, Tony Pope, and Sam Kwasman as Mickey, Donald, and Goofy respectively. They also explored some of Mickey & Goofy’s extended relatives/family line living in other parts of the world. (They travel to different countries to solve mysteries & go on adventures in all these stories) Like Mickey’s Uncle Digger in Australia, Goofy’s cousin, Toni Goofioli in Italy, etc. A shame that’s never brought up much. Especially since it was such a huge technological feat. Quite literally bringing WED/WDI technology/audio-animatronic characters home;
F735C775-51A2-4A79-925E-AC139629EC88.jpeg

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

^ Seeing as there aren’t too many good uploads of these stories & I happen to own these toys + all the storybooks & tapes. I’ll try to get them all uploaded/digitized to my YouTube channel soon for those interested. Truth be told, there was some ‘fantastic’ Mickey & Friends content made with some real heart, humor, and effort through the 80s-90s, and early 2000s. But they’ve seemingly been forgotten/not properly acknowledged or talked about within proper channels of the company.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Truth be told, this is a one-off album. That wasn’t the entire identity of Mickey & Friends in the 80s. Not sure if you’re familiar with Worlds of Wonder’s Talking Mickey Mouse & Goofy (similar to Teddy Ruxpin & Grubby by the same company) released in 1986. But all 13 of the read-along storybooks & cassettes released for them were great with a lovely art direction, storytelling/humor, & audio production. (Not to mention great audio-animatronics programming. Legit theme park quality) Walt Disney/Disneyland Records did all those from my understanding and may have been written by Jymn Magon who was heavily involved with much of the Disney Afternoon series we love from the 80s-90s. ;
The Impossible Journey
A Moose on the Loose
A Mystery in Paris
The Secret Island
The City Beneath the Sand
Follow That Ghost!
The Magic Boomerang
The Great Kite Caper
Goofy’s Last Waltz
The Missing Meatball
The Littlest Viking
Secret of the Silver Mine
and The Little Lost Elephant.
All new/original but heavily inspired by some of the old comics & classic cartoons featuring the voices of Peter Renaday, Tony Pope, and Sam Kwasman as Mickey, Donald, and Goofy respectively. They also explored some of Mickey & Goofy’s extended relatives/family line living in other parts of the world. (They travel to different countries to solve mysteries & go on adventures in all these stories) Like Mickey’s Uncle Digger in Australia, Goofy’s cousin, Toni Goofioli in Italy, etc. A shame that’s never brought up much. Especially since it was such a huge technological feat. Quite literally bringing WED/WDI technology/audio-animatronic characters home; View attachment 688744
There’s actually a whole range of “Totally Minnie” (and related) merchandise, not to mention a lot of stuff featuring the characters wearing this later-’80s garb:

s-l1600.jpg

But yes, you’re right that these forays into contemporary fashion were a relatively minor part of the characters’ identity, which remained rooted in their classic designs.

I wasn’t aware of the Worlds of Wonder Talking Mickey cassettes and books. Thanks for bringing them to my attention; I’ll have to check them out.

_caleb

Original Poster
.. the point I’m making is that the modern era Mickey that was made to appeal to ‘all ages’ from the 90s-early 2000s has seemingly been erased from history..
This is the part I don’t follow. The modern-era Mickey hasn’t been erased from history. He’s on D+ in Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmas, Mickey’s Christmas Carol, and , The Three Musketeers. To me, that seems like the version that’s in the parks, too (except for MMRR).

If anything has been downplayed, it’s television series Mickey. You know how HoM and MMW were produced by Disney’s television division? Maybe that’s a factor. I imagine it may have something to do with the fact that it was produced for television in 4:3 aspect ratio. Fortunately, most of those can be found on YouTube.

Also, the CGI/3D versions of Mickey are not all the same, not all made by the same studios, and not all for little kids: the Clubhouse version was for preschoolers, but the animations wasn’t great and the show was super formulaic. The Funhouse/Roadster Racers version is also for little kids, but the animation is a bit better. But the version you see in Mickey’s Twice Upon a Christmas, is different and produced by DisneyToon, Disney’s low-budget direct-to-video division. WDAS’s CGI Mickey in Get A Horse is different still (in design and personality-more zany and physical like the 30s). Mickey Saves Christmas is a television studios production using stop motion for a very different feel on the character (notice the texture on Mickey’s head!).

And don’t even get me started on Mickey from Epic Mickey and Kingdom Hearts!

My point is that there are multiple versions and iterations of Mickey Mouse, some of them being developed simultaneously by different studios within Disney.

Heppenheimer

There’s actually a whole range of “Totally Minnie” (and related) merchandise, not to mention a lot of stuff featuring the characters wearing this later-’80s garb:

s-l1600.jpg

But yes, you’re right that these forays into contemporary fashion were a relatively minor part of the characters’ identity, which remained rooted in their classic designs.

I wasn’t aware of the Worlds of Wonder Talking Mickey cassettes and books. Thanks for bringing them to my attention; I’ll have to check them out.
Even before "Totally Minnie", there was the Mickey Mouse Disco album. You can hear it on Youtube in all its garish awfulness. That new cartoon where Mickey and friends reclaim the roller ring through the "magic of disco" is a much better homage to the disco era.

Heppenheimer

Also, the CGI/3D versions of Mickey are not all the same, not all made by the same studios, and not all for little kids: the Clubhouse version was for preschoolers, but the animations wasn’t great and the show was super formulaic. The Funhouse/Roadster Racers version is also for little kids, but the animation is a bit better. But the version you see in Mickey’s Twice Upon a Christmas, is different and produced by DisneyToon, Disney’s low-budget direct-to-video division. WDAS’s CGI Mickey in Get A Horse is different still (in design and personality-more zany and physical like the 30s). Mickey Saves Christmas is a television studios production using stop motion for a very different feel on the character (notice the texture on Mickey’s head!).
I am continually amazed, though, how well the Clubhouse formula hits for pre-schoolers. Funhouse and Roadster Racers, at least in my closely observed sample population of 2, simply don't hold their interest. I am convinced the main impetus for the creation of the latter was "Sell more toys! Who cares about plot and engaging the viewers?".

They also love the Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse.

Inspired Figment

I am continually amazed, though, how well the Clubhouse formula hits for pre-schoolers. Funhouse and Roadster Racers, at least in my closely observed sample population of 2, simply don't hold their interest. I am convinced the main impetus for the creation of the latter was "Sell more toys! Who cares about plot and engaging the viewers?".

They also love the Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse.
It’s because they were directly going for the Blue’s Clues/Dora the Explorer formula (the creators behind it have stated this.). Sad to say though that Playhouse is not much different than Clubhouse. As a concept, I’d say Roadster Racers was more interesting.. but granted, it was poorly executed from a writing standpoint, I still say it should’ve been a show aimed at all ages with lighthearted, playful humor rather than strictly the preschool crowd. As Walt once said “You’re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up anyway”.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

This is the part I don’t follow. The modern-era Mickey hasn’t been erased from history. He’s on D+ in Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmas, Mickey’s Christmas Carol, and , The Three Musketeers. To me, that seems like the version that’s in the parks, too (except for MMRR).

If anything has been downplayed, it’s television series Mickey. You know how HoM and MMW were produced by Disney’s television division? Maybe that’s a factor. I imagine it may have something to do with the fact that it was produced for television in 4:3 aspect ratio. Fortunately, most of those can be found on YouTube.

And don’t even get me started on Mickey from Epic Mickey and Kingdom Hearts!

My point is that there are multiple versions and iterations of Mickey Mouse, some of them being developed simultaneously by different studios within Disney.
Only 3 projects out of the many more projects that had him.. and he’s not mentioned ‘once’ in the new documentary that’s supposed to showcase his entire story/history..… kind of a ‘Big’ problem IMO. And to not have the ‘entire’ TV series that featured this Mickey.. pretty wack & unreasonable, no? Mickey Saves Christmas sadly is the same soulless preschool material but in stop motion… they hired the same writers as Funhouse. It’s sadly the worst Mickey Christmas special out of all of them. Hardly any structure or plot, no humor, the characters are all out of character/lacking personality. (Pete was all nice & a friend to everyone even.. what the heck? Anyone who truly knows these characters would know that is ‘not’ who Pete is supposed to be. Donald doesn’t get mad or flustered either) Very sad indeed. Not even close to Mickey’s Christmas Carol, Once Upon A Christmas, or even Twice Upon. (Which I love all 3 and watch every year) Those were all aimed at all ages like they should be w genuine heart & emotion.) I wanted so badly to like Mickey Saves Christmas as I’m a huge fan of the stop-motion Rankin-Bass specials but it’s not even close to those when it comes to the writing.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

And Get a Horse!. ‘Fabulous’, ‘that’ is the direction they should’ve kept taking classic style Mickey in. Why they haven’t made more shorts in that style is beyond me..
‘Everyone’ loved that short.

Inspired Figment

Epic Mickey, again, 3 fabulous games.. but alas, nothing more.. why? Because Iger gave up on video games for whatever reason. Smh..
Hey, how about an animated series to continue the story? Oh wait.. that’s not what Iger wants to do cause he feels the Rudish parody style shorts are the way to go.. smh..
Despite the fact ‘Oswald’ is in Epic Mickey in a tasteful, starring role and not treated like garbage in a heap/a throw away cameo (not even joking.. that’s how they use him in the Rudish shorts. Shovel him out of a heap of stinking garbage.. uggghh)

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

The thing I find “interesting” is the fact in that new Documentary, they spent so much time on stuff like Mickey Mouse Disco and rebels taking Mickey and making him some screwed up parody, and other parodies like Robot Chicken, etc... yet they had nothing to say about Prince & the Pauper, Runaway Brain, Mickey Mouse Works-House of Mouse, Once & Twice Upon a Christmas, or Three Musketeers.(same can be said for things like The Talking Mickey Mouse & Goofy, Mickey Mouse Revue, Fantasmic, etc.) It’s extremely concerning and disrespectful to the entire team that worked on those IMO.

Heppenheimer

It’s because they were directly going for the Blue’s Clues/Dora the Explorer formula (the creators behind it have stated this.). Sad to say though that Playhouse is not much different than Clubhouse. As a concept, I’d say Roadster Racers was more interesting.. but granted, it was poorly executed from a writing standpoint, I still say it should’ve been a show aimed at all ages with lighthearted, playful humor rather than strictly the preschool crowd. As Walt once said “You’re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up anyway”.
I wish they had continued the formula of Clubhouse for Playhouse. It doesn't focus on problem-solving like Clubhouse did. It just sends the characters off on a little adventure where they do... stuff. It doesn't engage my kids attention at all (and we've heard similar reports from other parents of preschoolers). Wifey and I had high hopes that Funhouse would enter the regular viewing rotation, because there's only so many times in a day one can tolerate hearing the Hot Dog Dance.

As to your second point... that's exactly what we got with the current Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse. I see no reason why we can't have a purely preschool version of Mickey Mouse and Co. and an edgier version for all ages. Although that Autumn special nearly crossed the "all ages appropriate" line.

Heppenheimer

The thing I find “interesting” is the fact in that new Documentary, they spent so much time on stuff like Mickey Mouse Disco and rebels taking Mickey and making him some screwed up parody, and other parodies like Robot Chicken, etc... yet they had nothing to say about Prince & the Pauper, Runaway Brain, Mickey Mouse Works-House of Mouse, Once & Twice Upon a Christmas, or Three Musketeers.(same can be said for things like The Talking Mickey Mouse & Goofy, Mickey Mouse Revue, Fantasmic, etc.) It’s extremely concerning and disrespectful to the entire team that worked on those IMO.
Why are you so focused on this one documentary that probably has far less viewership than the all the properties you claim are "being ignored?"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom