Trip Report Mickey-less Lesson #1: Size doesn't matter, it's the motion of the ocean!

Yes, it's a non-Disney trip report. In a sea of Disney trip reports this is a non-Disney report. :eek: How is that pertinent on a Disney-centric fan forum, you ask? Well, this is how a solely Disney Cruise Line experienced cruising family took their first wobbly steps into non-Disney-fied cruising. Ever been curious? So were we! How the competition measures up is definitely pertinent! However, if the mods think this thread is better served in the cruise section or the other places section, I certainly understand. So sit back, relax, and slosh along with us in whatever "port" this thing sails off to.

Thread title:

Mickey-less Lesson #1: Size doesn't matter, it's the motion of the ocean! ((in my best double-rainbow dude voice)) What does it meeeaaan????? The ship we sailed is currently THE largest cruise ship on the seas: Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas. This ship is huge! How big? Let me show you. Not my picture, all credit goes to fet123 on Photobucket. Lined up here in Nassau are: Majest of the Seas, Disney Dream, Carnival Dream, the NCL Sky, and Allure's sliiiightly smaller sister ship the Oasis of the Seas. Good size comparison:

1a1f90d2.jpg

Allure of the Seas is 16 decks high, 1,187 ft long, and can carry a maximum passenger load of 6,296 serviced by roughly 2,300 crew members. In comparison, Disney's largest/newest ship in the fleet, the Fantasy is 14 decks high, 1,115.5 ft. long, and can carry a maximum passenger load of 4,000 serviced by a crew of 1,450. The Allure is a very big girl!

Among Disney's fleet my family prefers the smaller classic ships. Why? It's more laid-back, there's less people, and the overall experiences we've had were more personal and intimate if you will. We like that a lot! We knew going into this cruise that we were going to be on the biggest cruise ship afloat and that we probably would not be impressed by her size. We were right. We weren't. For us, bigger does not equate better. Size doesn't matter.

The motion of the ocean can definetly play a strong hand in your cruise experience! Leading up to our cruise I discovered (no thanks to Royal Caribbean which is my biggest aggravation with the entire experience of sailing with them) via Cruise Critic's forums that the Allure had been experiencing an issue with 1 of her 3 azipods. They had been sailing her without using the center screw for over a month before our sailing. She was safe and still functioned fine. They were just trying not to use the center pod as much as possible to avoid further/more extensive damage. So the ship sailed slower. Instead of her usual 22+ knots cruising we rarely exceeded about 16-17 knots cruising. AND, because the ship was sailing at reduced power, the captain did not utilize the stabilizers to keep the ship steady at sea. The stabilizers, like wings that extend from the sides of the ship to add stability and reduce rocking side-to-side, create drag which would slow the ship even more. So, the motion of the ocean on a ship not using her stabilizers was...well...a really FUN ride for us...not so much for those prone to sea sickness. ;)

*****Just for information sake, the Allure continues to run on 2 of her 3 pods. A cruise in February was cancelled back in mid-November to allow a week-long drydock to repair the pod. I believe it is a bering issue. It's my understanding this type of problem has been a reoccuring thing with ships that utilize the different azipods for their propulsion. To date Disney has not utilized the azipod propulsion for their ships.*****

So that nobody feels the need to ask before I get to the end and give my summation of the overall experience sailing without Mickey, I don't feel like it was better or worse than any of the 7 Disney cruises I have been on. I'm not just being nice. It's a whole different experience. I wouldn't categorize it as better or worse, it's different.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
That was a spectacularly creepy Brian creepy-face.

If you felt the shadows of prior generations in a Caribbean shipyard, just wait til you get to the land of your ancestors. I was almost freaked out in the ruins of a castle several years ago.

While I'm certain Tracey can pull out his "behave like a gentleman" when necessary, there's a permanent twinkle in his eye that gives him away. ;)

And I capped off my three-Newcastle lunch today (celebrating a co-worker's birthday) with my very first-ever shot of tequila. :oops: I'm starting to practice for the Jager with you and @plaz10. :D

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Kelly - when did your boys get so old?!

I mean, I know I was reading trip reports from 2009 about six months ago, but Chandler and Brian are like - adults now.

Lovely report, that ship is...ginormous?

The teen years are brutal! They grow so fast! Brian has grown 6" in a year! Its nuts! They are almost adults. Chandler will be a legal adult in less than 2 months. Its mind-boggling!

Yep, its a biiiiig ship.

Kick a@@! That ship is humongous! Can't wait to see St Maarten and find out how you liked it!

Oh man. St. Maarten was the best day of the whole cruise! We had such a fabulous time. We can't get back fast enough!

Billy6

It was the BEST day of the cruise. I could not believe I was actually there. We got some great photos, video's, and I got to ride the fence. Me being a BIG aviation buff I was in paradise.
Awesome! Can't wait to see them. When I was there, we never made it over to Maho.
Kelly told me about your passion for planes. Great stuff!

TinkandCrew

Hi there! I'm a forum newbie. I just wanted to say that I am loving your trip report. I'm actual backwards of your experiences. We have done all Royal Caribbean cruises and this year we are taking the kids to WDW for the first time. I was interested in your comparisons, etc. I love your humor....your family knows how to have a good time. I'm envious!!!

I can't wait to see what you have to say about St. Maarten. It is one of my favorite ports of all time. Except I will say....Grand Cayman may top it now. Have you ever been??? If not, it's a MUST DO on your bucket list!

I'm staying tuned.........

dragwit

I was trying to get a shot of the distance signage for my runner friends out there. Tracey had to bomb me.

BWHAHAHAHA I know what this is and every time I see it it makes me laugh...your boys are freaking hilarious! :D
Sorry. Here ya go.

On a different note about the sign....as a graphic designer, I'm a lot OCD when it comes to design. And the glaring mistake in this table is driving me nuts! Laps on one side distance on the other!

Anyway... Love your TR's and this one is making me think I may go the RCCL route for a cruise with just the wife and myself.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
That was a spectacularly creepy Brian creepy-face.

If you felt the shadows of prior generations in a Caribbean shipyard, just wait til you get to the land of your ancestors. I was almost freaked out in the ruins of a castle several years ago.

While I'm certain Tracey can pull out his "behave like a gentleman" when necessary, there's a permanent twinkle in his eye that gives him away. ;)

And I capped off my three-Newcastle lunch today (celebrating a co-worker's birthday) with my very first-ever shot of tequila. :oops: I'm starting to practice for the Jager with you and @plaz10. :D
I've always been kinda spooky like that. When I was 15 a friend of mine & I watched the fire department in that small town burn a little old house that was condemned as a training exercise. Kinda a two-fer for the city, I guess. Anywho, we sat in a field across from the house and just watched. It was really an emotional experience for me, rather poignant. Everyone else watched a house burn. I watched a home that had memories of all those who lived there die. I could see happy Christmas mornings, children running home their last day of school, women laboring over their house duties, etc. etc. How many new couples made that their first home? How many new babies came home to that house? How many lives passed within those walls? It was strange but soulful. Of course my girlfriend stared at my teary eyes like I was insane but whatever. I've always been a strange cookie like that. ;)

Yep. Tracey can be a good boy when he needs to. I'm thankful for his entertainment factor. It's like Jessica Rabbit said about Roger: he makes me laugh. I adore him!

You can have that tequila! @obrienIII showed me all about shooting tequila after the birth of his youngest. Let's just say I filled my lifetime quota in 1 night. Ugh! Not again. I'm gonna be extra cautious with the Jäger. I'm too old for another experience like the Jose incident. I can't hack that kinda sick. LOL!

Disneygal1

Okay, so I haven't even started reading, which is terrible, but I'm totally in! I'm pretty much addicted to cruising now, and I got my family hooked after a quick cruise in December on RCCL. The rents want to go on the oasis class this December, and I will be sure to show them this report. Can't wait to read and thanks for posting!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
It was the BEST day of the cruise. I could not believe I was actually there. We got some great photos, video's, and I got to ride the fence. Me being a BIG aviation buff I was in paradise.
You were adorable! Busted lip & all! Nothing makes me happier than to see your dreams come true. I know Woo was with you that day, too. I think he would've stood at the fence right with you. :inlove:

Awesome! Can't wait to see them. When I was there, we never made it over to Maho.
Kelly told me about your passion for planes. Great stuff!
I've been working on our house trying to get it ready for new tenants so I've had to put the report on hold a few days. Not characteristic for me, I know. I'm going to get back to it when I can. Maho & the Sunset Bar was paradise for all of us!

Hi there! I'm a forum newbie. I just wanted to say that I am loving your trip report. I'm actual backwards of your experiences. We have done all Royal Caribbean cruises and this year we are taking the kids to WDW for the first time. I was interested in your comparisons, etc. I love your humor....your family knows how to have a good time. I'm envious!!!

I can't wait to see what you have to say about St. Maarten. It is one of my favorite ports of all time. Except I will say....Grand Cayman may top it now. Have you ever been??? If not, it's a MUST DO on your bucket list!

I'm staying tuned.........
Oh cool! We had fun with Royal and I'd not hesitate to jump back on one of their ships in the future.

If nothing else we entertain the hell out of ourselves! LOL!

St.Maarten is crazy awesome! We prob'ly favor it over Grand Cayman. Because we're into planes so it's like paradise plus planes for us. We did 2 Westerns last year (May & Sept. Part 2). Grand Cayman has some kickin' snorkeling! I'd like to spend more time exploring her reefs. ;)

Thanks for tuning in! Our vacation adventures from January 2009 thru present are all linked into my signature. I grew up in the Orlando area so I've been to WDW more times than I could possibly count. We took our boys on 4 trips before I started writing the reports. We took to cruising in 2011 and haven't looked back. I love going new places and finding adventure!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Okay, so I haven't even started reading, which is terrible, but I'm totally in! I'm pretty much addicted to cruising now, and I got my family hooked after a quick cruise in December on RCCL. The rents want to go on the oasis class this December, and I will be sure to show them this report. Can't wait to read and thanks for posting!
Awesome! I love cruising! Cruising with Disney, cruising Royal. They both have their pros & cons. I think anything can be fun if you want it to be, tho. The Oasis class is definitely something worth experiencing. I'm so glad we did it but would prob'ly stick more to smaller ships from here on out. I'll never say never. Hey, you know Oasis is doing a Transatlantic? I have no idea when but I know it's a released itinerary! THAT would be worth the premium alcohol package!!! LOLOLOLOL!!!

Disneygal1

Awesome! I love cruising! Cruising with Disney, cruising Royal. They both have their pros & cons. I think anything can be fun if you want it to be, tho. The Oasis class is definitely something worth experiencing. I'm so glad we did it but would prob'ly stick more to smaller ships from here on out. I'll never say never. Hey, you know Oasis is doing a Transatlantic? I have no idea when but I know it's a released itinerary! THAT would be worth the premium alcohol package!!! LOLOLOLOL!!!

Soo jelly you've done Disney. Until I can find a great deal, we won't be going on it anytime soon. My sister claimed there wasn't enough to do on our ship, Enchantment of the Seas, so I think she might like the Allure or Oasis, but they are sooooo big. I agree with you on the smaller ships, though. They seem as though they have a more "personal" feeling. Maybe going on the Freedom class would be better... I can never imagine being on a ship for more than ten days, so needing that premium alcohol package would be necessary!! Hahaha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom