Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

trainplane3

I finally got to ride this. Waited 25 minutes.
It's cute.
It's literally the definition of "fine ride, wrong location". It'll fit in perfectly in DL's Toontown and is a really great addition for there. The weird looking Mickey and Minnie AA things look odd in person too. The ride is certainly lacking for being the centerpiece of the park.

And the ceiling surprisingly did bug me (I didn't look at the last few pages since the ceiling discussion came up).
muGo9st.jpg

EEB4Lvb.jpg

I'd wait 25 minutes again to do it but would never waste a FP on it.

The Aracuan Bird

If there was any single IP to replace The Movie Ride, it was Mickey. I totally believe the Mouse can fit well in that space. But it should’ve been the Mickey that was a Hollywood star; the one that paved the way for things to come. Not the TV show that loosely emulates the old Mickey on a tighter budget. At least it’s not the plastic Clubhouse Mickey.

yensidtlaw1969

I finally got to ride this. Waited 25 minutes.
It's cute.
It's literally the definition of "fine ride, wrong location". It'll fit in perfectly in DL's Toontown and is a really great addition for there. The weird looking Mickey and Minnie AA things look odd in person too. The ride is certainly lacking for being the centerpiece of the park.

And the ceiling surprisingly did bug me (I didn't look at the last few pages since the ceiling discussion came up).
muGo9st.jpg

EEB4Lvb.jpg

I'd wait 25 minutes again to do it but would never waste a FP on it.
Speaking of the Ceiling . . . Could you imagine?:

muGo9st edit.jpg

EEB4Lvb edit copy.jpg

Thanks, Photoshop!

disneygeek90

There were 1 2 3 4 5 6 stickers on the floor in the preshow area today that the staff wasn’t using. Not sure why they couldn’t do what they do on ROTR preshow but maybe the room is just that small.
I may be making this up but I thought they wouldn't be able to keep the loading room full if they only fed preshows in with so few groups.

Chip Chipperson

I rode this for the first (and 2nd and 3rd) time last week and was blown away. I thought it would be a fun ride but it was much better than I expected having avoided any videos of the ride and only seeing some photos. We waited 50 minutes in the brutal heat our first day there because we were planning to ride Slinky but that line was 70 minutes (and then 90 when we finished TSMM), so we figured we'd take the shorter wait for something we hadn't had a chance to ride yet since we hadn't been to WDW since early-February 2020. It was well worth the wait. The next night, we park-hopped back over there closer to 7 PM and the wait was down to about 25 minutes. When we got off there was virtually no line so we got right back on line (as did a few of the groups ahead of us) and waited maybe 15 minutes to get on again. We probably could have ridden a 3rd straight time with no wait but we were getting tired after an early start at MK and weren't sure what traffic would be like leaving at closing since this was our first time renting a car down there.

I really like the waterfall scene and thought it was cool that the cars reconnected in a different order than they started. There are so many little jokes and Easter eggs on the ride that you could ride it a dozen times and probably still find something you missed.

Magenta Panther

I rode this for the first (and 2nd and 3rd) time last week and was blown away. I thought it would be a fun ride but it was much better than I expected having avoided any videos of the ride and only seeing some photos. We waited 50 minutes in the brutal heat our first day there because we were planning to ride Slinky but that line was 70 minutes (and then 90 when we finished TSMM), so we figured we'd take the shorter wait for something we hadn't had a chance to ride yet since we hadn't been to WDW since early-February 2020. It was well worth the wait. The next night, we park-hopped back over there closer to 7 PM and the wait was down to about 25 minutes. When we got off there was virtually no line so we got right back on line (as did a few of the groups ahead of us) and waited maybe 15 minutes to get on again. We probably could have ridden a 3rd straight time with no wait but we were getting tired after an early start at MK and weren't sure what traffic would be like leaving at closing since this was our first time renting a car down there.

I really like the waterfall scene and thought it was cool that the cars reconnected in a different order than they started. There are so many little jokes and Easter eggs on the ride that you could ride it a dozen times and probably still find something you missed.

I suppose the quality of the ride experience depends on where you're seated on the train. I just watched a video where the person filming was seated in the back. The figures of Mickey and Minnie in the car talking to Goofy looked absolutely horrible. You couldn't even tell what the hell they were supposed to be. Just a flat couple of disks. My god, did TDO even consider how those figures would look from all angles? Were they so simple-mindedly devoted to making the figures look like the 2D cartoon that they didn't think of how terrible they would look from behind? Or was it the usual TDO "who cares?" Jesus, how disappointing. They could at least have angled the car so that the figures were in profile at all times. Major fail IMO.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I suppose the quality of the ride experience depends on where you're seated on the train. I just watched a video where the person filming was seated in the back. The figures of Mickey and Minnie in the car talking to Goofy looked absolutely horrible. You couldn't even tell what the hell they were supposed to be. Just a flat couple of disks. My god, did TDO even consider how those figures would look from all angles? Were they so simple-mindedly devoted to making the figures look like the 2D cartoon that they didn't think of how terrible they would look from behind? Or was it the usual TDO "who cares?" Jesus, how disappointing. They could at least have angled the car so that the figures were in profile at all times. Major fail IMO.
You're basing this on a video? Seriously? Ride the attraction before you judge it. Cameras can be deceiving.

Sorcerer Mickey

You're basing this on a video? Seriously? Ride the attraction before you judge it. Cameras can be deceiving.
They’re not wrong. I rode for the first time this past Monday and sat in the last row. I could barely see Mickey and Minnie’s face (and did not see Goofy at all). Their audio was almost completely inaudible. Kinda disappointed because my toddler had no idea what was going on.

disneygeek90

They’re not wrong. I rode for the first time this past Monday and sat in the last row. I could barely see Mickey and Minnie’s face (and did not see Goofy at all). Their audio was almost completely inaudible. Kinda disappointed because my toddler had no idea what was going on.
The 4th car is actually my favorite route.

My preference is 4>1>3>2

No matter where you sit the ride is very chaotic and hard to really grasp what's happening on the first ride. Even the first few.

Disney Analyst

Works for me. The premise is that you are literally entering a 2D world - meaning different angles result in weird 2D fun.

It’s all gonna be okay, the rides a hit. 😍

yensidtlaw1969

yensidtlaw1969 - Proving once again, Disney *SHOULD* be hiring based on it's talented passionate fans...​

Thank you - Admittedly, I recognize there are some problems with the photoshopping I've submitted here - part of the issue with Projections is that they tend to have a very distinct edge, and the bright colors that travel almost all the way up the wall are likely part of masking that out. It's easy enough to Photoshop the scene to be darker up top like this:

EEB4Lvb edit copy.jpg

But in reality, the way the scene is projection mapped might leave the darker areas looking more like this:

EEB4Lvb edit copy 2.jpg

That, to me, sort of makes the case a little more handily for just mapping the entire room, INCLUDING the ceilings rather than excluding them as they did, but I know that's also really easy to say and much harder to actually do for a number of reasons.

Magenta Panther

Works for me. The premise is that you are literally entering a 2D world - meaning different angles result in weird 2D fun.

It’s all gonna be okay, the rides a hit. 😍

Uh huh. I notice that Pluto's head and Daisy's head are sculpted in full 3-D, but Mickey's and Minnie's are squashed flat bits of ugliness. As if Blaine Gibson sculpted the former and Picasso sculpted the latter. Mickey finally gets a dark ride in the parks and he looks like crap. How does that make the ride a "hit"?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom