Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

yensidtlaw1969

Just remember in the sea shot, straight painting wouldn’t work because the sky/water color changes twice (clear sky to red from volcano and then ocean blue.)
Yes, that's one of the problems I was referring to earlier when I said paint would help in *most* scenes. The transformation in the Boiler Room is similar.

Those are both rooms where a fully projection mapped ceiling would make that much more of a difference, but alas.

Touchdown

Yes, that's one of the problems I was referring to earlier when I said paint would help in *most* scenes. The transformation in the Boiler Room is similar.

Those are both rooms where a fully projection mapped ceiling would make that much more of a difference, but alas.
Also with the factory it makes sense that it had a roof at first (it’s a factory) and then it transitions to twlight so it kid of works there.

yensidtlaw1969

Also with the factory it makes sense that it had a roof at first (it’s a factory) and then it transitions to twlight so it kid of works there.
Perhaps - it's still a bit much for my liking, but it is what it is.

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 6.22.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 6.22.46 PM.png

There are a lot of things I'd put on my list for improving Runaway Railway if I was given the chance to start fresh, but if I were asked to go in and improve the current build at DHS I'd probably put every penny given towards making those ceilings disappear. For me they just kill any impression that we're actually where we're supposed to feel like we are.

Makes the space feel less like a showSCENE and more like a showROOM, you know?

Touchdown

Perhaps - it's still a bit much for my liking, but it is what it is.

View attachment 555056

View attachment 555057

There are a lot of things I'd put on my list for improving Runaway Railway if I was given the chance to start fresh, but if I were asked to go in and improve the current build at DHS I'd probably put every penny given towards making those ceilings disappear. For me they just kill any impression that we're actually where we're supposed to feel like we are.

Makes the space feel less like a showSCENE and more like a showROOM, you know?
I get what your saying and agree they could be improved but honestly the only place where it’s bothered me is the western scene. That is the only place where my eye are drawn upwards and it breaks the illusion, mainly because that scene starts very slow. Every other scene is so chaotic with so much going on it’s never bothered me, but I still see your point.

No Name

Having the show scenes not really integrate into the floor makes it feel very temporary, unlike rides like Splash Mountain where you're completely immersed, ceiling and floor and all.
The biggest problem IMO is that the riders’ attention is drawn to the floor when the vehicle leaves the track, but then the floor is immediately abandoned as part of the theming.

yensidtlaw1969

The biggest problem IMO is that the riders’ attention is drawn to the floor when the vehicle leaves the track, but then the floor is immediately abandoned as part of the theming.
At times it's rather like a Widescreen movie, where the top and bottom of the field of view are blacked out. The problem with that is 1) As you said, they're not consistent with it, and 2) That's not a solid approach to making guests feel genuinely immersed in a new world.

It feels like many of the rooms simply stretch a movie screen most of the way around a room, throw in some props (and occassionally an Animatronic) and call it a scene. But above and below the "movie screen"? Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain . . .

yensidtlaw1969

Speaking of twilight, I wonder if a look like this might have helped disguise the ceiling better while still allowing for a whiz-bang transformation of the room:

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 6.22.46 PM edit.jpg

I didn't even change the color or brightness of the ceiling, just changed how the other colors are relative to it. Compared to how the room actually looks:

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 6.22.46 PM.png

(It's a quick pass, so don't judge me TOO harshly - squint and you get the idea)

lazyboy97o

Problem with theming floors is the upkeep. You have maint and cms walking through it daily. Not to mention guests if the ride breaks down. Or if someone spills something/gets sick. Easier to hide with just a black floor than painted. Plus being trackless you would be able to see the layout of the vehicles overtime
You’re already able to see the layout of the trackless vehicles. Less openness, which would deal with the sight lines and warehouse feel, would limit the ability to see the ride path.

The Aracuan Bird

Speaking of twilight, I wonder if a look like this might have helped disguise the ceiling better while still allowing for a whiz-bang transformation of the room:

View attachment 555082

I didn't even change the color or brightness of the ceiling, just changed how the other colors are relative to it. Compared to how the room actually looks:

View attachment 555083

(It's a quick pass, so don't judge me TOO harshly - squint and you get the idea)
It makes an astronomical difference

Jones14

Along those lines, has anyone noticed how Goofy, looking out the back of the engine, doesn't fill the opening? The screen is square and the opening has an arch. Every time I see that, it's pretty glaring.
That’s one of those things that looks terrible on video but great in person.

There’s a depth effect from the angle of the seats that I have a hard time explaining, but that square, flat look is not what you see when you’re actually on the ride.

UNCgolf

There’s a depth effect from the angle of the seats that I have a hard time explaining, but that square, flat look is not what you see when you’re actually on the ride.

But part of his head is missing. How is that not noticeable?

yensidtlaw1969

But part of his head is missing. How is that not noticeable?
As I recall, that's an overhang masking the top of the screen, not the screen just ending leaving an open space.

Though it is true that Goofy isn't "just a screen", as @Jones14 was describing - I think he's on a Transparent LCD screen so he appears to exist on his own plane relative to the rest of the train car. But I don't think they just "forgot" to mask the top of the screen the way that photo seems to suggest. It's just dark, so it looks like an empty space when it's actually a positive one.

yensidtlaw1969

Along those lines, has anyone noticed how Goofy, looking out the back of the engine, doesn't fill the opening? The screen is square and the opening has an arch. Every time I see that, it's pretty glaring.

Here's a quick sketch to show what I meant in my post:

IMG_8174.jpg

I think there's a Black Border (or at least a dark one) hanging down between Goofy's Screen and the Train Window that blocks the top of the screen. Not especially elegant, but better than simply letting the edge of the screen be visible with negative space above. This is the impression I got while riding in person, anyway.

And as mentioned above, Goofy's screen is Transparent, so you can see through all the spaces that aren't showing Goofy to the deeper interior of the train with the bells and whistles. The train backdrop is on a separate plane from Goofy, which makes a big difference over the whole thing just being a flat screen. Gives you a nice parallax between Goofy and the Backdrop, making him feel like a living cartoon in space.

It would have been nicer if that masking had been incorporated a little more into the design of the train - even something like this Photoshopped image below would make it look a little less like an accident. But I don't think they actually left the top edge of the screen totally visible - it never looked that way in person to me.

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 2.17.39 PM.png

Last edited:

TikibirdLand

View attachment 555507

I think there's a Black Border (or at least a dark one) hanging down between Goofy's Screen and the Train Window that blocks the top of the screen. Not especially elegant, but better than simply letting the edge of the screen be visible with negative space above. This is the impression I got while riding in person, anyway.

And as mentioned above, Goofy's screen is Transparent, so you can see through all the spaces that aren't showing Goofy to the deeper interior of the train with the bells and whistles. The train backdrop is on a separate plane from Goofy, which makes a big difference over the whole thing just being a flat screen. Gives you a nice parallax between Goofy and the Backdrop, making him feel like a living cartoon in space.

It would have been nicer if that masking had been incorporated a little more into the design of the train - even something like the below would make it look a little less like an accident. But I don't think they actually left the top edge of the screen totally visible - it never looked that way in person to me.

View attachment 555516
Thanks for attempting to explain it. I'll have to see it in person to see if I agree :) . Still doesn't come off as a shadow in the picture. But, I do see lines that represent slats of some kind. So, they seem to be trying to do something.

yensidtlaw1969

Thanks for attempting to explain it. I'll have to see it in person to see if I agree :) . Still doesn't come off as a shadow in the picture. But, I do see lines that represent slats of some kind. So, they seem to be trying to do something.
To be clear, that second image is something I Photoshopped - here's the original to compare it to.

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 2.58.52 PM.png

I don't think it's a shadow, I think there's a solid piece of something installed to block the top of the screen. My Photoshop was to show that if they had made it "part of it" a little more, making it look like part of the train and not just dark masking, perhaps there would be less confusion.

lazyboy97o

View attachment 555507

It would have been nicer if that masking had been incorporated a little more into the design of the train - even something like this Photoshopped image below would make it look a little less like an accident. But I don't think they actually left the top edge of the screen totally visible - it never looked that way in person to me.

View attachment 555516
A far simpler solution would have been to just make the opening a rectangle.

Castle Cake Apologist

View attachment 555507

View attachment 555516

I agree. I've found this complaint to be largely based on only seeing videos of the ride. There is no single screen that "ends" there, but multiple layered screens acting together to create a 3D illusion, which go pretty far up into the shell of the engine prop. In person, what people are perceiving as the "edge" of the screen comes across pretty clearly as a dimensional prop that is part of the train, which obscures the actual edges of the screens above it.

Honestly, I wish they had used this method of projecting for more of the ride, to give it more of a 3D feel, instead of primarily just projecting stuff onto walls. A similar technique is used in Na'vi River Journey and I think it mostly works very well there.

Last edited:

Jones14

I agree. I've found this complaint to be largely based on only seeing videos of the ride. There is no single screen that "ends" there, but multiple layered screens acting together to create a 3D illusion, which go pretty far up into the shell of the engine prop. In person, what people are perceiving as the "edge" of the screen comes across pretty clearly as a dimensional prop that is part of the train, which obscures the actual edges of the screens above it.

Honestly, I wish they had used this method of projecting for more of the ride, to give it more of a 3D feel, instead of primarily just projecting stuff onto walls. A similar technique is used in Na'vi River Journey and I think it mostly works very well there.
Yeah, this is what I mean. It doesn’t read as the edge of the screen in person, it reads as there being an overhang blocking the very top of the cabin from view. Why it’s there I’m not entirely sure, but it doesn’t read as a problem or mistake in person at all. It’s one of the best uses of the tech in the whole ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom