Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Magenta Panther

Saw some news about this at The Site That Shall Not Be Named. And yeah, pretty interesting. The Site revealed how guests enter Mickey's cartoon world - apparently an explosion/puff of smoke blows a hole in the movie screen, and the guests enter that way. Sounds pretty awesome! Liked the video above too. Well, at least there's one new attraction to look forward to...

RMichael21

With CM’s training so soon, what’s the likelihood of soft openings? Obviously there’s no guarantee, but we’ll be in the parks 2/29-3/2, so we’d be bummed to miss out on it. I figured they’d be doing softs before the 4th by then right?

justintheharris

$*%&!!! When we planned our trip over a year ago, February 2020 seemed like a good idea. The closer it gets, the less excited I get, and the more impossible it becomes to work out a halfway-decent HS touring plan, with the delayed-until-after-our-trip-opening of this previously announced people-eating attraction (it was originally supposed to open this year), the retooling of FP+ tiers in the park such that we're only getting one Fastpass that's of any use, and the bare bones park hours (we'll be at WDW for 7 days and HS is closing at 8pm every *$&% day, with exactly ONE EMH hour, on a single morning, the entire week of February break, when crowds are expected to be holiday-level... and RoTR won't even be open during that hour). Bah humbug, I say! (Why am I so grumpy? I must need to eat something.) Seriously, if we hadn't rented non-refundable DVC points for our hotel, I'd cancel this vacation in a heartbeat, and rebook for 2022 or after, when all the new stuff is supposed to be operating. I planned poorly and I'm paying the price.

On the up-side, for those visiting 3/4 and after, I rejoice with you! ;)
To be fair, I have a much easier time getting fastpasses for big attractions in Hollywood Studios on the same day since the reworking of the tier system there.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Are we looking at another RotR-type push, where they are trying to get the ride open by the announced date regardless of whether or not they have previews, softs, etc.?
Unlikely since it was supposed to have been open already but then was pushed back due to getting all hands on RotR.

At yesterday's press junket, they got to experience the intro of the ride right up to "entering" the screen. The DIS folk were truly impressed.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
Apologies if this has been posted before, but I saw this projection on the pavement last night as we were exiting Hollywood Studios:

IMG_6384.jpeg

Brer Oswald

It’s a crying shame they decided to go completely modern with this attraction in terms of Mickey Mouse representation. No legacy content at all.

Oh well, guess we’re lucky that the modern Mickey Shorts resemble the classic appearances. There was a long stretch where Mickey wasn’t anything close to his peak, and I thankfully can say it’s not like that anymore.

SplashJacket

It’s a crying shame they decided to go completely modern with this attraction in terms of Mickey Mouse representation. No legacy content at all.

Oh well, guess we’re lucky that the modern Mickey Shorts resemble the classic appearances. There was a long stretch where Mickey wasn’t anything close to his peak, and I thankfully can say it’s not like that anymore.

I initially agreed with this, but I honestly believe the modern Mickey shorts lend more to the attraction to the classic cartoons.

If you look at preview portions of the ride it truly looks like a cartoon. It is extremely bright and colorful, pops very well.

The new cartoons are more over the top in my opinion, the originals did wonky stuff, but the new ones are more consistently crazy. It is by no means a flaw with the classic shorts but due to them being played before movies instead of like a series like the new ones there are larger time gaps per episode.

Don't get me wrong, I still prefer the original cartoons but the modern ones are by no means doing shame to the ride.

1575655691896.png
1575655720180.png

Just comparing the color palate between the cartoons the modern one is far more colorful.

If you look at a photo within the ride you can see it follows the hyper colorful setting of the new one which sets the upbeat tone for the ride.

It is by no means a fault of the Classic cartoons, but simply a stylistic difference as it is more grounded in reality than the new ones and the cartoons are created differently through differences in technology.

1575655861821.png

Attachments

• 1575655862057.png
    1575655862057.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Brer Oswald

I initially agreed with this, but I honestly believe the modern Mickey shorts lend more to the attraction to the classic cartoons.

If you look at preview portions of the ride it truly looks like a cartoon. It is extremely bright and colorful, pops very well.

The new cartoons are more over the top in my opinion, the originals did wonky stuff, but the new ones are more consistently crazy. It is by no means a flaw with the classic shorts but due to them being played before movies instead of like a series like the new ones there are larger time gaps per episode.

Don't get me wrong, I still prefer the original cartoons but the modern ones are by no means doing shame to the ride.

View attachment 430866View attachment 430867

Just comparing the color palate between the two rides one is far more colorful.

If you look at a photo within the ride you can see it follows the hyper colorful setting of the new one which sets the upbeat tone for the ride.

It is by no means a fault of the Classic cartoons, but simply a stylistic difference as it is more grounded in reality than the new ones and the cartoons are created differently through differences in technology.

Oh no doubt. It doesn’t make me actively upset.

But if I just imagine what could have been, the classic designs, a Grand Mickey’s Gala Premiere opening with posters from the iconic cartoons, characters from Silly Symphonies and the comics, a grand adventure with Mickey trying to thwart Pete and the Big Bad Wolf.

As a Classic Disney fan, it probably would have shut me up permanently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom