Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Hawkeye_2018

Im waiting for the day i see an attraction open in my lifetime not based on a movie/IP
(Excluding epcot nation centric stuff)
Not gonna happen. Disney has already begun making movies (Jungle Cruise) about rides that were not originally based on any film or IP. Someday all attractions will have a corresponding film or Disney+ series

tirian

I initially agreed with this, but I honestly believe the modern Mickey shorts lend more to the attraction to the classic cartoons.

If you look at preview portions of the ride it truly looks like a cartoon. It is extremely bright and colorful, pops very well.

The new cartoons are more over the top in my opinion, the originals did wonky stuff, but the new ones are more consistently crazy. It is by no means a flaw with the classic shorts but due to them being played before movies instead of like a series like the new ones there are larger time gaps per episode.

Don't get me wrong, I still prefer the original cartoons but the modern ones are by no means doing shame to the ride.

View attachment 430866View attachment 430867

Just comparing the color palate between the cartoons the modern one is far more colorful.

If you look at a photo within the ride you can see it follows the hyper colorful setting of the new one which sets the upbeat tone for the ride.

It is by no means a fault of the Classic cartoons, but simply a stylistic difference as it is more grounded in reality than the new ones and the cartoons are created differently through differences in technology.

Well...film history disagrees with you. ;)

Cartoon color palettes were more muted in the 30s and 40s because Technicolor itself advised studios to make them that way. Technicolor famously (sometimes infamously) tried to control palettes in live-action and animated films to give a painterly look and avoid glaring, gaudy color combos. By the 50s and 60s, cartoons in general had become more vibrant and experimental. Nobody was letting Technicolor call the shots. There are plenty of stylized Disney shorts, not to mention the output of Chuck Jones’ era at Warner Bros.

For the year 2020, Disney could’ve combined a vibrant, stylized color scheme with classic Mickey models that are better animated, more fun to watch in motion, and truer to “Mickey” rather than Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon.

But Walt’s Mickey doesn’t strengthen Bob Iger’s ego for content from his tenure as CEO. As WDI has mentioned in presentations, Iger made the call to use this Mickey.

Funny thing is, if this would’ve been a one-off series of merch like Electric Mouse or Hipster Mickey, I would’ve liked it better than an outright attempt to replace Walt’s Mickey Mouse. This was an attempt to compete with the cheapo style at Nick and Cartoon Network, and the company had already retired it before Iger “earmarked” it for this attraction.

No Name

...why? It's very much a toddler show.

It is cute and the characters are likeable. Much more like their park versions. I understand these newer shorts are kind of a return to origin, but unfortunately I grew up in an era much later than the mid 1900s and so I have more of an affinity for the way the character has been presented in every medium throughout my lifetime rather than this stretchy zany style. I largely don’t dislike the new style though.

Jones14

I think the visual style will actually work to the ride’s advantage; it’s such a distinct departure from the real world that if they pull it off it will be very cool, and the sheer wackiness of the cartoons lends itself well to a hyper-stylized and chaotic dark ride a la Mr. Toad.

The other Mickey styles are fine, but I can’t imagine the effect of a Fantasia Mickey design feeling much different than Mermaid or Mine Train, which feel like seeing 3D recreations of 2D sequences rather than being placed *in* a cartoon.

Tom Morrow

Ignoring the visual aesthetics of them, the modern Mickey shorts do something that they weren’t able to do with Mickey for decades - make him a funny, entertaining character with personality again. The new shorts are actually funny for all ages and have just enough edge to them to make Mickey a character worth caring about that doesn’t seem lame. Not a soulless mascot, not a children’s teaching tool.

I would prefer if the characters didn’t have that modern, flat appearance to them, but these shorts have more artistic merit to them than your average modern cartoon. The backgrounds are super detailed, vibrant, and look like paintings. The characters are very expressive and go off model all the time which is very much a classic animation thing. I know some people don’t like the “shock” shots and compare them to Ren & Stimpy, but they’re used sparingly and with good comedic timing, and again I believe they’re part of a calculated effort to give Mickey some edge again.

In short, you may not like the look and that’s okay, but I don’t know why you’d prefer soulless mascot Mickey or children’s show Mickey over a fun and funny Mickey.

Donaldfan1934

Forgot that show, House of Mouse is where it's at!
Agreed. I don’t understand why everyone forgets about that show when discussing how they think modern Mickey should be portrayed. Why should we have to settle on choosing between the two extremes of the Disney Jr. shows and Disney Channel shorts when we can have the happy medium of a House of Mouse-esque version?

wedenterprises

When I first saw the character design, I hated it. I saw a very quick clip of the style and didn't get it.

Then I got D+ and actually watched them, and fell in love. The show is hilarious and has some great references to the parks sprinkled in. Animation is brilliant too.

The style is pure cartoon, I can't wait to see the ride.

The only thing is, it might prove difficult to translate that style into a walk-around character.

nickys

Premium Member
Not sure if this has been posted...

People booking Club Level FPs are now booking beyond the opening date for this ride. And there are no FPs available, nor for the Galaxy’s Edge rides.

Looks like they may open without FPs for this too. Although they could still introduce them before the 60 day mark, so too early to be sure.

Donaldfan1934

Funny thing is, if this would’ve been a one-off series of merch like Electric Mouse or Hipster Mickey, I would’ve liked it better than an outright attempt to replace Walt’s Mickey Mouse. This was an attempt to compete with the cheapo style at Nick and Cartoon Network, and the company had already retired it before Iger “earmarked” it for this attraction.
I feel the exact same way. At this point in his career, it’s starting to seem as if Iger wants to recreate and replace everything the company made before him with “his” version of it.

brb1006

When I first saw the character design, I hated it. I saw a very quick clip of the style and didn't get it.

Then I got D+ and actually watched them, and fell in love. The show is hilarious and has some great references to the parks sprinkled in. Animation is brilliant too.

The style is pure cartoon, I can't wait to see the ride.

The only thing is, it might prove difficult to translate that style into a walk-around character.
Then again, Disney currently never created a walk-around version of Mickey and Minnie in their classic/pie-eyed design. Most notable during Fantasmic, where they used his old design but kept his pupils.
47046968852_cef64cbe9e_b.jpg

wdwgreek

I'm going to be there the day after opening and am petrified of the crowds. My plan was to do galaxy's edge attractions as I skipped smugglers run this fall. But the opening of this really throws a wrench in my plans.

justintheharris

Well...film history disagrees with you. ;)

Cartoon color palettes were more muted in the 30s and 40s because Technicolor itself advised studios to make them that way. Technicolor famously (sometimes infamously) tried to control palettes in live-action and animated films to give a painterly look and avoid glaring, gaudy color combos. By the 50s and 60s, cartoons in general had become more vibrant and experimental. Nobody was letting Technicolor call the shots. There are plenty of stylized Disney shorts, not to mention the output of Chuck Jones’ era at Warner Bros.

For the year 2020, Disney could’ve combined a vibrant, stylized color scheme with classic Mickey models that are better animated, more fun to watch in motion, and truer to “Mickey” rather than Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon.

But Walt’s Mickey doesn’t strengthen Bob Iger’s ego for content from his tenure as CEO. As WDI has mentioned in presentations, Iger made the call to use this Mickey.

Does everything have to be about how much this forum hates Bob Iger?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom