Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

The Empress Lilly

I wonder if we will see Oswald the lucky rabbit in the ride at all.. has anyone heard if he might be in the ride? Also would you guys be happy if he was?.. I hope that he is in some way
Personally I would be happy if Mickey Mouse were in the ride at all, or even just a cameo, but we shall have to make do with this bizarre looking new character.

es135

My very first trip to WDW was in the summer of 2016. I was awestruck by the concept and intention of GMR. Yes, there were parts that obviously needed repair, and the script between the pre-recorded audio and cast member was very clunky. Still, I couldn't help but be sucked into the world that WDI created. It truly was the thesis ride to the park. My second trip was in December of 2017, so I just missed the chance to ride it one last time. I don't doubt this new Mickey ride will be fantastic. I do, however, long for what could have been. A refurbed GMR could have been spectacular.

kthomas105

Remember a few things..

1) you are looking at a photo of the exit in the wrong direction. What is projected here... is not what the actual users of the exit will be focused on. It's like looking over your shoulder in a ride and complaining about the set lights.. this view is not the primary one

2) The exterior of most theater or ride exits are generally bland... intentionally to make them 'go away' when not in use. Pick your park... American Adventure... Hall of Presidents... Country Bears... Living Seas...

What you are going on about is not really about the new attraction, but about retheming that entire street. As of yet, it's not changing from the backlot theme, and the new Mickey ride isn't changing that.

TL:DR - you're barking up the wrong tree

I agree with your sentiment but they really should do something to dress up the area. It looks pretty rough. Even the paint color is faded in areas. It would be one thing if it were in an inconspicuous area but it’s the main hub of the park, they use those walls for the projection shows.
5225825B-FD96-4640-ABC0-A7E2E8A5EB06.jpeg

And don’t get me started on the white screens on a beige wall.

RSoxNo1

The naysayers, as you put them, want attractions of the quality the company used to do. In a park that has the capacity to handle the crowds it pulls.

Or of course they just want things to be refurbed properly when required. GMR never had a proper refurb.
That’s part of the strategy. Neglect until replacement isn’t fought by anyone.

I thought GMR was bad in the last 5-7 years of its life. But strictly from a capacity play, a full on overhaul where multiple scenes were replaced would have helped with capacity if Mickey and Minnie’s went elsewhere.

I would have shut down GMR upon the opening of Toy Story Land and removed multiple scenes. The goal would have been a 12-15 month refurb to open late 2019.

Movielover

No better way to develop proper conversations and dialogues than to silence dissent.

Well the site does have the ignore function which is basically the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and going "Nah nah nah, I can't hear you"

It's less silencing dissent and more along the lines of not being able to hear a different viewpoint like a adult...

RSoxNo1

There should be a "permanent ban" rule for the loons in this thread hating on GMR. #fakeWDWFans
Great Movie Ride was a great attraction, but in it's last 5 years it was stale. I think it could have been revitalized, perhaps with either removal of the onboard narrator or a change in the kidnapping/hijacking approach as part of the update. I would have also liked to see something that was a step above the normal sizzle real to end the attraction. Switching to a 180 degree screen might have been enough to simply allow for more content.

Step by step, my improved DHS would have been as follows:

• Summer 2019 - Toy Story Land w/a 4th attraction, a Speedway style attraction that intersects Slinky Dog Dash.
  • Summer 2019 - Fall 2020 - Great Movie Ride closes for the aforementioned refurbishment.
  • Fall 2020 - Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway opens in the Animation Courtyard, replacing Voyage of the Little Mermaid
  • Late Fall 2020 - Galaxy's Edge opens

I skew conservative in my ticket levels, but that would leave the park with 11 rides:
  • E-tickets (6): Rise of the Resistance, Smugglers Run, Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, Tower of Terror, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Great Movie Ride
  • D-tickets (3): Slinky Dog Dash, Toy Story Mania, Star Tours
  • C-tickets (1): Toy Story speedway (RC Racer?)
  • B-tickets (1): Alien Swirling Saucers

Consider the ride lineup in the final years of the Studio Backlot Tour was open
  • E-tickets (2): Tower of Terror, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
  • D-tickets (4): Great Movie Ride (that's where it was IMO without and update), Star Tours, Toy Story Mania, Studio Backlot Tour

By removing GMR and SBT you lose 4000-5000 guests per hour in ride capacity. It sounds like the 2019 additions will be about 5000-5500 in ride capacity with Toy Story land bringing in 2000-2500. Yes there are more rides in the park now but the demand for the park will be much higher. It needs at least GMR's capacity and probably more.

solidyne

Great Movie Ride was a great attraction, but in it's last 5 years it was stale. I think it could have been revitalized, perhaps with either removal of the onboard narrator or a change in the kidnapping/hijacking approach as part of the update. I would have also liked to see something that was a step above the normal sizzle real to end the attraction. Switching to a 180 degree screen might have been enough to simply allow for more content.

• Summer 2019 - Toy Story Land w/a 4th attraction, a Speedway style attraction that intersects Slinky Dog Dash.
  • Summer 2019 - Fall 2020 - Great Movie Ride closes for the aforementioned refurbishment.
  • Fall 2020 - Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway opens in the Animation Courtyard, replacing Voyage of the Little Mermaid

I skew conservative in my ticket levels, but that would leave the park with 11 rides:
  • E-tickets (6): Rise of the Resistance, Smugglers Run, Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, Tower of Terror, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Great Movie Ride

• D-tickets (4): Great Movie Ride (that's where it was IMO without and update), Star Tours, Toy Story Mania, Studio Backlot Tour

By removing GMR and SBT you lose 4000-5000 guests per hour in ride capacity. It sounds like the 2019 additions will be about 5000-5500 in ride capacity with Toy Story land bringing in 2000-2500. Yes there are more rides in the park now but the demand for the park will be much higher. It needs at least GMR's capacity and probably more.
Yes! Not only that, but 4000-5000 of hourly throughput on longggg attractions has more people-eating power than 5000-5500 throughput on the 1-5 minute rides that we're getting. There ought to be some quotient that equals "hourly throughput x duration." And yes again to your first comment. Distress over the decay of a great attraction is not same as "hate."

Stripes

I very much agree, but it should be noted that the Mickey ride should have more demand than GMR did, and the line itself should absorb more park attendance.

NiarrNDisney

Would love to see oth the RC Racer and the Toy Soldier Parachute Drop added to Toy Story Land.

ToTBellHop

Yes! Not only that, but 4000-5000 of hourly throughput on longggg attractions has more people-eating power than 5000-5500 throughput on the 1-5 minute rides that we're getting. There ought to be some quotient that equals "hourly throughput x duration." And yes again to your first comment. Distress over the decay of a great attraction is not same as "hate."
There is a calculation for that. It’s how they calculate park capacity (along with other factors). Something like LMA would have heavily increased DHS capacity if it was more popular because it held a ton of guests for an hour.

jt04

Would love to see oth the RC Racer and the Toy Soldier Parachute Drop added to Toy Story Land.

Parachute Drop would look awesome but would have to be very short to not destroy the immersion the land provides.

If they did RSR or RC racers, I think it would be its own mini-land.

Goofyernmost

There is a calculation for that. It’s how they calculate park capacity (along with other factors). Something like LMA would have heavily increased DHS capacity if it was more popular because it held a ton of guests for an hour.
I don't think that LMA was run that often. Why, because an attraction with huge capacity that people don't go to, is of no help to anything. Last time I went to it, it was only running about 5 shows a day and those were only half filled. Nothing like the constant crowds that I have witnessed at Indy. Indy has had some minor changes from the original, but, I have never tired of going to see it. Even after I knew the secret of the participants. LMA not so much. After the first couple of times, it was just a bunch of little cars that made a lot of noise. A total yawn!

jt04

I don't think that LMA was run that often. Why, because an attraction with huge capacity that people don't go to, is of no help to anything. Last time I went to it, it was only running about 5 shows a day and those were only half filled. Nothing like the constant crowds that I have witnessed at Indy. Indy has had some minor changes from the original, but, I have never tired of going to see it. Even after I knew the secret of the participants. LMA not so much. After the first couple of times, it was just a bunch of little cars that made a lot of noise. A total yawn!

Yes, and once they see an attraction with declining numbers they don't hesitate to start the ball rolling on the replacement.

That is why they keep growing.

jt04

We have to stop thinking its "okay" for dissent.

Some of the elements of GMR held up over time but most had become slow paced by today's expectations. Extremely slow. Might even use the word plodding. The Oz scene was cringe inducing that even the fanciest animatronic couldn't make interesting.

Not to mention an attraction not only not relatable to a generation who couldn't care less about TCM movies but also very analog in its presentation. Not a good combination for a family theme park.

It was a very weak link. Good-bye.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom