Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Kman101

I find them very funny and visually exciting. They are, moreover, extremely witty and clever, full of knowing references to Disney’s films and parks. I recommend watching a few more before deciding they’re not for you.

Yeah, they have a LOT going for them. It's a shame so many are turned off by certain things (I like the animation style; I don't necessarily love the Ren and Stimpy-ness of certain things - and I love Ren and Stimpy - but it's not a deterent). I think they're missing out ... but I can understand why it's not everyone's cup of tea.

LittleBuford

Yeah, they have a LOT going for them. It's a shame so many are turned off by certain things (I like the animation style; I don't necessarily love the Ren and Stimpy-ness of certain things - and I love Ren and Stimpy - but it's not a deterent). I think they're missing out ... but I can understand why it's not everyone's cup of tea.

The comparison to Ren and Stimpy (which I also love) has been made a few times in this forum but is misleading in my view. Yes, there are a few “gross” visuals in the series, but they are rare and judiciously used to good comedic effect. The overall aesthetic is bright and charming. Still, I agree with you that not everyone is going to like this new take on Mickey. (Truth be told, I find the cutesy mid-century Mickey rather lacking in personality, unlike Donald, who’s good fun in all his versions.)

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
The comparison to Ren and Stimpy (which I also love) has been made a few times in this forum but is misleading in my view. Yes, there are a few “gross” visuals in the series, but they are rare and judiciously used to good comedic effect. The overall aesthetic is bright and charming. Still, I agree with you that not everyone is going to like this new take on Mickey. (Truth be told, I find the cutesy mid-century Mickey rather lacking in personality, unlike Donald, who’s good fun in all his versions.)
Did Disney go back to this version of Mickey because of public domain issues? By using "Old" Mickey again, did it push off some of those concerns? I thought I read something about this, but it may have been a dream (lol)....anyone know?

brb1006

Plus the recent Mickey Mouse shorts has started toning down the "Grossout" moments. And before the 2013 Mickey Mouse shorts. The closest modern Mickey went back to the classic cartoon style was in Mickey Mouse Works/House Of Mouse.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The comparison to Ren and Stimpy (which I also love) has been made a few times in this forum but is misleading in my view

Seriously? They are freaking twins in so many elements. Visual style, gags, and more. The association came out in the first days of the new shorts being shown because it is so blatant in the first batch. It's not just the gross-out effects either.

peter11435

Seriously? They are freaking twins in so many elements. Visual style, gags, and more. The association came out in the first days of the new shorts being shown because it is so blatant in the first batch. It's not just the gross-out effects either.
I think they have more in common with some of the original Mickey shorts than they do Ren and Stimpy.

LittleBuford

Yes, seriously. To me, the overall aesthetic is very different, and I encourage others to judge for themselves before being put off by the comparison. You’re free to disagree, of course.

ppete1975

Which ones are you talking about? I know i havent seen them all but Croissant de Triomphe and yodelberg feel more old disney than anything else

flynnibus

Premium Member
Which ones are you talking about? I know i havent seen them all but Croissant de Triomphe and yodelberg feel more old disney than anything else

Across the board... from the background contrasting with character art styles.. to the animation style.. to the use of close-ups... to the 'transforming' style for their gross out gags.. the skinny characters with oversized head character designs... and goes on and on. You could write a list of references for every short you watch.

I think they have more in common with some of the original Mickey shorts than they do Ren and Stimpy.
Yes, seriously. To me, the overall aesthetic is very different, and I encourage others to judge for themselves before being put off by the comparison. You’re free to disagree, of course.

De Nile isn't just a river in egypt. The disjointed background art vs character art alone is the style that is completely disconnected from traditional disney short style and taken straight from the modern animation style that became wildly associated with R&S and later cartoons.

peter11435

Across the board... from the background contrasting with character art styles.. to the animation style.. to the use of close-ups... to the 'transforming' style for their gross out gags.. the skinny characters with oversized head character designs... and goes on and on. You could write a list of references for every short you watch.

De Nile isn't just a river in egypt. The disjointed background art vs character art alone is the style that is completely disconnected from traditional disney short style and taken straight from the modern animation style that became wildly associated with R&S and later cartoons.
Nobody is in denile. People just have varying opinions. When you watch the new shorts you see R&S. When I watch the new shorts I see a modern take on the classic cartoons.

flynnibus

Premium Member
People just have varying opinions

No, it's called 'selective listening'. The similarities may not be distracting or a negative to you - but that doesn't make them non-existent. The stories and character personas may be similar to the the classic shorts, but the art direction, character models, animation style, backgrounds, direction, and more are radically different.. and shared more with moderns like R&S.

It doesn't have to be something to be bothered by, but you shouldn't try hiding from it like it doesn't exist.

peter11435

No, it's called 'selective listening'. The similarities may not be distracting or a negative to you - but that doesn't make them non-existent. The stories and character personas may be similar to the the classic shorts, but the art direction, character models, animation style, backgrounds, direction, and more are radically different.. and shared more with moderns like R&S.

It doesn't have to be something to be bothered by, but you shouldn't try hiding from it like it doesn't exist.
Like I said. A modern take on the classics. Stories and personalities more in line with the classics, animation style a modern take on the classics.

LittleBuford

First, I never claimed they resembled the classic shorts; that was someone else. My own view is somewhat different: I think they evoke the past while looking very fresh and modern. To me, it's a winning combination.

Second, while I'm all for getting passionate about Disney, one can do so without unnecessary snark. It's just Amazon to me how convinced certain people are of their own opinions.

HMFan999

I've really tried to give the new shorts a shot, but they just don't feel Disney to me. As others have said, they remind me more of the crass animation of the 90s. I've taken to calling this new style meth head mickey.

brb1006

I like yodelberg alot. I didnt know about these in a trip a few years ago (i think they had just started) i turned on my port orleans tv and there it was. I thought it was an old cartoon. It put a huge smile on my face.

I remember any resort and hotel located on property had a channel where they played every Mickey Mouse cartoon on loop.

LittleBuford

I've really tried to give the new shorts a shot, but they just don't feel Disney to me. As others have said, they remind me more of the crass animation of the 90s. I've taken to calling this new style meth head mickey.

At least you've given them a shot. I hope you enjoy the new ride even if the shorts didn't win you over!

Last edited:

brb1006

Would you rather have Mickey stick to edutainment such as Mickey Mouse Clubhouse?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom