Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

brb1006

Like I said. A modern take on the classics. Stories and personalities more in line with the classics, animation style a modern take on the classics.
Heck, Looney Tunes is already making a comeback with 1,000 shorts arriving in 2019 and is Warner Brothers answer to doing a modern take on the classic shorts.
Looney-Tunes-600x400.jpg

flynnibus

Premium Member
Would you rather have Mickey stick to edutainment such as Mickey Mouse Clubhouse?

What does that question have to do with the discussion? I think this line bears repeating...

It doesn't have to be something to be bothered by, but you shouldn't try hiding from it like it doesn't exist.

(Which is what I was responding to in the first place... a denial of the similarities in the cartoons.)

peter11435

What does that question have to do with the discussion? I think this line bears repeating...

It doesn't have to be something to be bothered by, but you shouldn't try hiding from it like it doesn't exist.

(Which is what I was responding to in the first place... a denial of the similarities in the cartoons.)
I don’t think anyone has denied that there are similarities. There are similarities. But, again those similarities revolve around visual style and are more in line with modern trends than specifically R&S. The character personalities and storylines are very much in line with the classics. I see more classic Mickey than I see Ren & Stimpy.

Even R&S heavily drew from classics cartoons of the 1940’s.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don’t think anyone has denied that there are similarities.

No? Statements like this try to distance them does it not? “The comparison to Ren and Stimpy (which I also love) has been made a few times in this forum but is misleading in my view”

There are similarities. But, again those similarities revolve around visual style and are more in line with modern trends than specifically R&S.

Pffft... we don’t find ren n stimpy comparisons in every new cartoon discussion... yet they did pop out with Mickey... because of direction that gave you cuts like this...

2DA33DD0-B38B-42D8-B2B2-2C5896FB5894.png

peter11435

No? Statements like this try to distance them does it not? “The comparison to Ren and Stimpy (which I also love) has been made a few times in this forum but is misleading in my view”

Pffft... we don’t find ren n stimpy comparisons in every new cartoon discussion... yet they did pop out with Mickey... because of direction that gave you cuts like this...

View attachment 323039
I didn’t make that comment so I won’t get into specifically what the poster may have meant or didn’t mean.

Maybe one day you’ll learn that sometimes people have opinions that aren’t necessarily the same as your own.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I didn’t make that comment so I won’t get into specifically what the poster may have meant or didn’t mean.

Then don’t make comments like “I don’t think anyone has denied that there are similarities” when the entire discussion stemmed from that very line.

Maybe one day you’ll learn that sometimes people have opinions that aren’t necessarily the same as your own.

And maybe one day you’ll learn that “opinion” is not ambiguous nor a get out of jail free card to deflect with.

Last edited:

brb1006

View attachment 323039
If you want Disney really trying to be like Ren and Stimpy and anything by John K. Watch Schnokkums and Meat that aired briefly on the Disney Afternoon block.

Plus that screenshot is from the first short. The recent Mickey shorts had been good (Mainly the Christmas Special from a year or two ago).

geekza

I find them very funny and visually exciting. They are, moreover, extremely witty and clever, full of knowing references to Disney’s films and parks. I recommend watching a few more before deciding they’re not for you.
Yeah, I'll give some others a watch. The one that was posted in this thread was a little too manic and off-character for me, but I know that they're now aimed at today's kids, rather than adults and kids of the past, so it's to be expected that they would mimic the style of modern children's animation, rather than the slower, character-based shorts from the classic era. The character designs don't bother me, though I'm not a fan of the animation, simply because it has all the telltale signs of quickly-done CG that is a huge step down from the fluid animation of the theatrical shorts. I really like the new Duck Tales and their obvious design inspiration from the Carl Barks and Don Rosa comics, but I know that these Mickey shorts are meant to be short and wacky and not story-based like Duck Tales. It doesn't give me a good feeling about the new Mickey and Minnie attraction at DHS, though.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you want Disney really trying to be like Ren and Stimpy and anything by John K. Watch Schnokkums and Meat that aired briefly on the Disney Afternoon block.

Certainly lots of lifted methods in there... (like the cut closeup, the art style on the title card, etc), see a lot of looney toons too. But most the backgrounds look more traditional... and I think it’s the backgrounds and color tones that draw the biggest comparison for me in the Mickey shorts. That tone is throughout and a constant reminder.

Plus that screenshot is from the first short. The recent Mickey shorts had been good (Mainly the Christmas Special from a year or two ago).

Again, not saying good or bad... simply that it’s there. I know they got away from some of the gross out stuff... but you find the styles and techniques persist.

brb1006

Yeah, I'll give some others a watch. The one that was posted in this thread was a little too manic and off-character for me, but I know that they're now aimed at today's kids, rather than adults and kids of the past, so it's to be expected that they would mimic the style of modern children's animation, rather than the slower, character-based shorts from the classic era. The character designs don't bother me, though I'm not a fan of the animation, simply because it has all the telltale signs of quickly-done CG that is a huge step down from the fluid animation of the theatrical shorts. I really like the new Duck Tales and their obvious design inspiration from the Carl Barks and Don Rosa comics, but I know that these Mickey shorts are meant to be short and wacky and not story-based like Duck Tales. It doesn't give me a good feeling about the new Mickey and Minnie attraction at DHS, though.
Plus there are very good moments in the new shorts. My favorite is the ending to "Tokyo Go" where Mickey is seen riding his own train set just like Walt did.

Another favorite of mine is the "Split Decision" dedicated to Donald Duck.

peter11435

Then don’t make comments like “I don’t think anyone has denied that there are similarities” when the entire discussion stemmed from that very line.

And maybe one day you’ll learn that “opinion” is not ambiguous nor a get out of jail free card to deflect with.
Notice I said “I don’t think” I never claimed it as fact. Nor do I think that poster was implying that there were no similarities based on the quote you posted.

I have no trouble differentiating between facts and opinion. Opinion should be based on facts and both sides of this argument are based on facts. We just view them differently. That’s ok.

brb1006

So excited. I grew up on Looney Tunes :happy:
I really hope the new Looney Tunes shorts will be a success and finally giving the Looney Tunes characters more spotlight to the general public since the early 2000's. Two previous attemps for the series to stay relevant was the Looney Tunes Show which gained mixed reception with fans who grew up in the 90's and early 2000's.

While a second attempt was Wabbit/New Looney Tunes but took a ridiculously long time to air new episodes due to being moved from CN to Boomerang. They had to cancel a fourth season due to the huge amount of unaired episodes. Plus the characters were more stylized. Didn't help that the series didn't get advertised at all compared to previous animated Looney Tunes shows.

Nowadays most of the general public might only know them from the Six Flags parks.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

I’m the one who wrote the statement you quoted (“The comparison to Ren and Stimpy . . . has been made a few times in this forum but is misleading in my view”). That doesn’t equal a denial of any similarities. In fact, you conveniently neglected to quote the sentences that followed, which said: “Yes, there are a few ‘gross’ visuals in the series, but they are rare and judiciously used to good comedic effect. The overall aesthetic is bright and charming.”

Calm down for goodness’ sake!

Last edited:

LittleBuford

I have yet to check out the new Duck Tales. As a big fan of the original series, I’m encouraged by your positive assessment of the reboot.

I don’t agree that the new Mickey shorts are aimed at kids to a greater degree than the shorts of the past were. There are some pretty grown-up moments in a few of them, including one hilarious scene in which Minnie announces to Mickey, “I think we should see other people”!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom