Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

JJJ

I think visible ceilings really are a problem for immersion (though GMR gets a semi-pass for the reasons that @MansionButler84 stated). It might not be totally conscious, but visible ceilings prima facie reduce the sense of realism. When WDI progressed from IASW to more immersive attractions like Pirates and Mansion, they started really taking the ceilings into consideration (so clearly they recognized that it was part of what would make the environment believable). But now they seem to be backsliding, and overlooking the ceilings more often. Mermaid is one example. Radiator Springs Racers is another. This might seem like a a "minor" detail, but, needless to say (I hope), considering "minor" details has historically been a major hallmark of what has made Disney great (and a major part of why great Disney theme park experiences have such a powerful impact on so many of us).
I noticed recently that the many of the walls in the test track queue don't reach the (undecorated/warehouse) ceiling so you're basically in one big room moving between gigantic cubicles. I don't think undecorated ceilings are that much of a problem though. People hardly notice as they do a good job hanging lights at equal levels (and other techniques) to keep the illusion.

Goofyernmost

I noticed recently that the many of the walls in the test track queue don't reach the (undecorated/warehouse) ceiling so you're basically in one big room moving between gigantic cubicles. I don't think undecorated ceilings are that much of a problem though. People hardly notice as they do a good job hanging lights at equal levels (and other techniques) to keep the illusion.
My feeling is that anyone that is spending time looking at the ceiling in a dark ride, is probably missing out on what was put there to look at. I don't understand why anyone would even look at the ceiling much less care about.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
My feeling is that anyone that is spending time looking at the ceiling in a dark ride, is probably missing out on what was put there to look at. I don't understand why anyone would even look at the ceiling much less care about.

On some rides, especially IaSW, it's almost impossible not to notice the black acoustic tiles since the area is so open and the ceiling so well lit. On other rides, they hide it well such that I don't ever remember seeing it. It's not unreasonable to want WDW to do well by all the rides.

Goofyernmost

On some rides, especially IaSW, it's almost impossible not to notice the black acoustic tiles since the area is so open and the ceiling so well lit. On other rides, they hide it well such that I don't ever remember seeing it. It's not unreasonable to want WDW to do well by all the rides.
I suppose, however, for me unless the ceiling is done up like a continuing night sky, like in the Mexican Pavilion I don't remember ever looking up. And if I did, I was to involved with the rest of the show to think it was of any importance. It used to bother me more in IaSW when parts that were supposed to be moving were not doing so. The ceiling to me was never part of the show unless they intended it to be, but, moving objects attached to the ceiling, those I expected to see working.

Rich Brownn

I don't even know how to break this down.
There is no excuse for the ceiling of it's a small world. It looks like a state fair. The problem is that peoples eyes are DRAWN to the ceiling because it's literally falling apart. The problem isn't that people are looking at the ceiling, the problem is that there is a (negative reason) that the ceiling jumps out of our peripheral vision and into a talking point because of grievously bad upkeep.
Never figured out why there are huge gaps in the IaSW ceiling where there are no tiles at all. But I understand why it looks like a warehouse. The original one was a warehouse (at the NY World's Fair) which was actually designed before Disney even got involved. (IaSW was built to fit into Pepsi's pavilion, not the other way around). Disneyland's (and a few others I think) don't even have a flooded building, just the trough laid down inside the building and the sets around it. I guess the Imagineers felt no need to re-invent the wheel other than the flooded show building when recreating it for WDW

peter11435

There is no excuse for the ceiling of it's a small world. It looks like a state fair. The problem is that peoples eyes are DRAWN to the ceiling because it's literally falling apart. The problem isn't that people are looking at the ceiling, the problem is that there is a (negative reason) that the ceiling jumps out of our peripheral vision and into a talking point because of grievously bad upkeep.

I don’t believe it has anything to do with poor upkeep in this case. The issues are with tiles that were removed and never replaced during a refurb. But it does look awful.

Timothy_Q

Never figured out why there are huge gaps in the IaSW ceiling where there are no tiles at all. But I understand why it looks like a warehouse. The original one was a warehouse (at the NY World's Fair) which was actually designed before Disney even got involved. (IaSW was built to fit into Pepsi's pavilion, not the other way around). Disneyland's (and a few others I think) don't even have a flooded building, just the trough laid down inside the building and the sets around it. I guess the Imagineers felt no need to re-invent the wheel other than the flooded show building when recreating it for WDW
DLR's and HKD's don't have flooded sets

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And I don’t understand why someone would take the time to write that they don’t understand. One of life’s little mysteries I guess.

:p

aladdin2007

small world has a lot of show problems, so many of the spinning moving effects from the ceiling are not working, lights burnt out in the finale room, removed tiles like others mentioned, the load/unload looks like crap Im sorry to say, its just so ugly and dirty...they really need to start addressing things. but show quality comes last now, they should be embarrassed.

Goofyernmost

And I don’t understand why someone would take the time to write that they don’t understand. One of life’s little mysteries I guess.

:p
What else would you say if you didn't understand something. It's all about individual temperament and degree of obsession. I've always been a fan of Disney parks, but, I don't question and pick at every little thing that comes along. I'd be willing to bet that when you guys started going to one of the Disney Parks you were all so gobsmacked by what you saw that you never saw any of the flaws. That is why so many think that the good old days were so much better. In reality, in the early days, we just didn't notice unimportant things, we just focused on the show. Perhaps as we got older we got bored with the same old show and started to notice the warts. When I go to WDW, for example, I am always observing the big picture. I am old enough to know that there is no such thing as perfection in anything that humans do and so I don't look for absolute perfection, I look for the entertainment and the quality of that entertainment. So, yes, I don't understand why anyone would be looking at the ceiling when the show is at eye level. :confused: Different strokes for different folks.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What else would you say if you didn't understand something. It's all about individual temperament and degree of obsession. I've always been a fan of Disney parks, but, I don't question and pick at every little thing that comes along. I'd be willing to bet that when you guys started going to one of the Disney Parks you were all so gobsmacked by what you saw that you never saw any of the flaws. That is why so many think that the good old days were so much better. In reality, in the early days, we just didn't notice unimportant things, we just focused on the show. Perhaps as we got older we got bored with the same old show and started to notice the warts. When I go to WDW, for example, I am always observing the big picture. I am old enough to know that there is no such thing as perfection in anything that humans do and so I don't look for absolute perfection, I look for the entertainment and the quality of that entertainment. So, yes, I don't understand why anyone would be looking at the ceiling when the show is at eye level. :confused: Different strokes for different folks.
It. Was. A. Joke.

Goofyernmost

after all your time on this earth, how is discussing the finer points of craftsmanship beyond your comprehension?
What does my statement have to do with "the finer points of craftsmanship". Build an airplane and I want as close to perfection as possible. If I need a surgeon that quality still applies. However, this is a freaking theme park and the constant insistence that everything be perfect borders on advanced OCD and inability to understand that not everything is part of the show and if a ceiling is meant to be seen it is usually pretty obvious. If it is nothing more then a cover over and attraction the need for concern about what makes it up is beyond my personal comprehension. As has been stated, IaSW is a creation of the stickler for detail himself, one Walter E. Disney. He and it existed at the same time. Yet, this is a situation where the great man himself found no fault with it, yet here we are discussing such a mundane point. I'm done with it.

Kman101

What does my statement have to do with "the finer points of craftsmanship". Build an airplane and I want as close to perfection as possible. If I need a surgeon that quality still applies. However, this is a freaking theme park and the constant insistence that everything be perfect borders on advanced OCD and inability to understand that not everything is part of the show and if a ceiling is meant to be seen it is usually pretty obvious. If it is nothing more then a cover over and attraction the need for concern about what makes it up is beyond my personal comprehension. As has been stated, IaSW is a creation of the stickler for detail himself, one Walter E. Disney. He and it existed at the same time. Yet, this is a situation where the great man himself found no fault with it, yet here we are discussing such a mundane point. I'm done with it.

You're not entirely wrong. But at the same time, why do you get so upset over what bothers someone? Who cares? LOL. We all have things that bother us and things that we think are ridiculous for someone else to be worried about. I do think there are a few posters who take it a little too far in terms of expecting perfection. You've seen the outrage that heaven forbid a toilet isn't up to par for a few minutes out of the day ... and let's not forget the outrage that a garbage can overflowed (hyperbole is real folks) ... in some cases, logic doesn't apply for some.

Despite what some think, I actually hold Disney to fairly high standards. But I also live in the real world and understand not everything can or will be perfect all the time, you have to use some logic, we let our emotions dictate us sometimes. They frustrate me a lot with what they do but sometimes it isn't always so serious everyone ;)

smile

I'm done with it.

ZiTjv.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom