Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

smile

ImmortalityAI.jpg

Marc Davis Fan

While I agree in general, GMR was clearly a warehouse. All you had to do was look up. At least there it made sense. Over on The Little Mermaid in MK, not-so-much.

Or in Small World, why would they let you see the grey steel roof??!?!?!? WHY?!?!!?

I think visible ceilings really are a problem for immersion (though GMR gets a semi-pass for the reasons that @MansionButler84 stated). It might not be totally conscious, but visible ceilings prima facie reduce the sense of realism. When WDI progressed from IASW to more immersive attractions like Pirates and Mansion, they started really taking the ceilings into consideration (so clearly they recognized that it was part of what would make the environment believable). But now they seem to be backsliding, and overlooking the ceilings more often. Mermaid is one example. Radiator Springs Racers is another. This might seem like a a "minor" detail, but, needless to say (I hope), considering "minor" details has historically been a major hallmark of what has made Disney great (and a major part of why great Disney theme park experiences have such a powerful impact on so many of us).

wdwgreek

I think visible ceilings really are a problem for immersion (though GMR gets a semi-pass for the reasons that @MansionButler84 stated). It might not be totally conscious, but visible ceilings prima facie reduce the sense of realism. When WDI progressed from IASW to more immersive attractions like Pirates and Mansion, they started really taking the ceilings into consideration (so clearly they recognized that it was part of what would make the environment believable). But now they seem to be backsliding, and overlooking the ceilings more often. Mermaid is one example. Radiator Springs Racers is another. This might seem like a a "minor" detail, but, needless to say (I hope), considering "minor" details has historically been a major hallmark of what has made Disney great (and a major part of why great Disney theme park experiences have such a powerful impact on so many of us).
How are the navi river cruise ceilings. If I remeber they were pretty well hidden.

Marc Davis Fan

How are the navi river cruise ceilings. If I remeber they were pretty well hidden.

That's an example of it being done right. Unless you're really looking for it, you don't see the ceiling or show lighting. I think this is an example of Animal Kingdom maintaining particularly high standards of immersion due to Joe Rohde's oversight (because he understands and values that).

Take a look up inside SSE. Standard suspended office tiled ceiling painted black.

Right, that's another good example. But like GMR, it's going for more "presentational" (as per most of original EPCOT Center) than "immersive," so it gets a (semi) pass, IMO.

britain

GMR was even less than 'presentational'. It was going for 'magic soundstage' where, yes, the villains have come to life, but you can also get a sense of what it was like being on the set for these movies – especially for Oz with backdrops coming to an end and lighting rigs clearly exposed.

DinoInstitute

GMR was even less than 'presentational'. It was going for 'magic soundstage' where, yes, the villains have come to life, but you can also get a sense of what it was like being on the set for these movies – especially for Oz with backdrops coming to an end and lighting rigs clearly exposed.
Wasn’t the whole concept that you were magically traveling into the movies themselves, not their soundstage? If anything that’s the opposite of just presentational.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom