Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Alice a

GMR acknowledged that you were riding through movies as a set or false construction- look at the ceiling in the Oz scene or the very start of the ride referencing CB- whereas the Mickey ride seems to be placing you as a character in the action; as an active participant in the plot, instead of a passive audience riding through well-known, established scenes like a history class in a museum.

This is also why it fit so well as the centerpiece of the park- it was a kicked-up studio tour of many of the great classics of the golden age of Hollywood, the heart of the Hollywood Studio park.

The mickey ride is not, as far as I can tell (admittedly not much) the thematic heart of the re-done park. IMHO, of course.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What if this Mickey ride ends up being the best of all the new rides being built? Won't that be a kick in the pants????

Some of the insiders who've seen the specs it say that's likely to be the case, even though they hate that GMR had to die for it.

But in the end, I'm guessing that being a big SW fan or not will be a big factor which of the three new E Tickets will be considered the best. Even though the insiders don't give Falcon the lead, if you like the role-playing that follows it (or you get to be the pilot), you'll see people go gaga over it.

brb1006

What if this Mickey ride ends up being the best of all the new rides being built? Won't that be a kick in the pants????
I could be thinking of the wrong member. But I think @Magic Feather while not giving away how the attraction would be. Mentioned something that he was pleasantly surprised by the ride technology and execution without giving it away.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Do you know if they are aiming to have it open before SW:GE opens or a concurrent opening? I could see a concurrent opening being what they'd like as it would give them the opportunity to have a big media blow out and also rededicate the park with it's new name.
It’s too far out for specifics at the moment, but the plan is to have the Mickey ride open and ready for SWL.

The name change could begin to be rolled out just before SWL opens.

es135

I experienced the park without GMR for the first time this past week. I have to say, the park definitely feels like it has lost its soul. Yes, tower is still a fun ride and star tours is too, but something feels like it is missing. I want this new ride to be great, but I don’t know that it will be great enough to fill that space.

Mike S

I experienced the park without GMR for the first time this past week. I have to say, the park definitely feels like it has lost its soul. Yes, tower is still a fun ride and star tours is too, but something feels like it is missing. I want this new ride to be great, but I don’t know that it will be great enough to fill that space.
It’s nowhere near the same level but this is how I feel about Magic Kingdom ever since Snow White left. Something is just missing.

AEfx

I agree. I don't begrudge a Mickey Ride, but there is no reason that the GMR was left the same for several decades when if it was regularly updated, it still could be one of the top attractions in the world.

es135

I agree. I don't begrudge a Mickey Ride, but there is no reason that the GMR was left the same for several decades when if it was regularly updated, it still could be one of the top attractions in the world.
We walked through the "Preview Center", but I don't know that what they are building is going to be enough to fill the park. My boyfriend took one look at the Toy Story Land model and said, "Oh, so its for kids. That sucks."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom