Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

HMF

Well the question becomes what are the effects of such "entertainment" on the human psyche. While I am not a proponent for censorship, there are many studies detailing the negative effects on some minds that tv/movies/video games that depict violence have.
I understand that and am no advocate for gratuitous violence in media. That being said I find our apathy toward finding real solutions to be far far worse.

Kman101

How is it that most of us survived these things as kids yet now all of a sudden these things are a problem? I blame social media because now we know when someone sneezes the wrong way. We hear more about the shootings, the violence. It's not that it all didn't exist before social media (though I suppose mass shootings have gone way up, among other things), it did but we're oversaturated with it all now so many are more sensitive towards it. People need to take a breath, a step back, and look at the context it is presented in. People may laugh but how long before they DO change the suicide scene in the Haunted Mansion? I guess they get away with it because it's supposed to be gory and haunted and scary but there are so many things someone could pick apart and demand change on. Let's close down the Shootin' Gallery while we're at it ... I mean, where is the line drawn?

Anyway ... this isn't the thread for that but I wanted to throw my two cents out there.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I've been out of this thread for a few days. Sorry if I've missed any questions I can help with.

I'm hoping there are still some physical sets and props to add depth and layers to all the projection. I'm envisioning Mr. Toad crossed with Shanghai pirates. This seems as close as WDW will get to Mystic Manor for a while.

GMR had a huge foot print. Does anyone know how all that space will be used? Any chance for multiple "tracks", either for higher ride capacity or alternate paths like Toad? (I know it's trackless)

There will be plenty of physical sets. About 85% of the current space will be used. No multiple tracks as such, but not every car will follow the exact same route.

Does anyone have the clip they showed of how the 2.5D effect looks?

See Spider-Man. That was the first attraction to utilise an animated shifting perspective effect. A way of tricking the eye into seeing the parallax effect it expects to see.

Mike S

Well the question becomes what are the effects of such "entertainment" on the human psyche. While I am not a proponent for censorship, there are many studies detailing the negative effects on some minds that tv/movies/video games that depict violence have.
Please. I played Grand Theft Auto as a kid and I'm just fine. If violent entertainment triggers something in someone there was already a tendency for violence within them just waiting to bubble to the surface.

RSoxNo1

The answer is bad parenting. Nothing more. Some people can handle the violence in video games. Others can't. 99 times out of 100 the result of these having a negative effect can be tied to bad parenting.

jt04

I've been out of this thread for a few days. Sorry if I've missed any questions I can help with.

There will be plenty of physical sets. About 85% of the current space will be used. No multiple tracks as such, but not every car will follow the exact same route.

See Spider-Man. That was the first attraction to utilise an animated shifting perspective effect. A way of tricking the eye into seeing the parallax effect it expects to see.

So that leaves about 15% +/-. Interesting.

britain

Yeah, but Spider-Man uses 3D glasses. Wouldn't Forbidden Journey or Shanghai Pirates be better examples?

cbconglom

someone please tell me there will be AA figures

britain

I think it's more about the shifting effect... How (In Spiderman) they squish and stretch the image while your car passes by to get a correct perspective/parallax effect. Forbidden Journey & Shanghai Pirates don't use that.

The ending of forbidden journey as you go by the applauding students uses that shift in perspective effect, and the sword fight between Jack and Davy Jones at Shanghai does as well.

And neither of those use 3-D glasses, which was Kevin Rafferty's point when he was describing 2.5 D.

Heck, just look to Mission Breakout for the most recent example.

Having said all that, I think there's something more to it (on the Mickey ride) than just parallax. I think it might be referring to projecting on multiple surfaces at various depths.

Last edited:

PizzaPlanet

Much to my chagrin, my wife is thrilled this ride is closing. As a school teacher she hates that the GMR normalizes the aspect of people shooting at/near you in an enclosed space. I always respond with the fact that you are supposed to be part of the story, which she responds with the evidence around the shooting at the Batman movie where people thought it was part of the show.

With the prevalence of school shootings and lock down drills that are now required I see her point. I still stand firm that this is a classic ride and should remain as the icon of the park and a nod to classic cinema and the studio them of the park.
Don't let your wife ride Buzz Lightyear. Not only does it teach children how to shoot and handle a gun, it encourages them to solve their problems with violence.

Movielover

I think it's more about the shifting effect... How (In Spiderman) they squish and stretch the image while your car passes by to get a correct perspective/parallax effect. Forbidden Journey & Shanghai Pirates don't use that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he was actually talking about the effect used to make it look like your car is levitating upwards by using moving panels that move in sync opposite of the car, this combined with other effects sell the motion.

tissandtully

Nice, I love Spider-Man, it's held up well too.

Mike S

No I disagree. Sorry but I live in a kids neighborhood, a high end one and as the kids get older they all have different characteristics. Some are smarter then others, some are have violent tendencies, some have leadership capabilities for good or bad. etc. etc. I will say family life can gear a child one way or another but you can also just have a devil child.

We have a demon baby on the street, just something in his mind isn't right. Thrown out of public school in the first grade, many people have had trouble with him. He has two siblings who are nice passive people, he seems to have gotten the aggressive genes and the dumb *** genes. If you give him a task he is all for it and will do it no questions ask. He's mechanical and adventurous but at the same time he will grab a chainsaw because he figured out how to work it and just start cutting things down. He figured out a knife can cut tires so he slit every tire the family had, cars, bikes every single one of them. Parents think he will be fine but I doubt it. I think the Marines are probably a good place for him. He needs a situation where he will be told what to do and if he does mess up stuff they will tell him in no uncertain terms what he did wrong with a physical punishment to get it in his head. He saw guys on motor cycles on TV doing endos so he started playing around with his bike doing tricks, end result he flew over his handle bars cracking his skull literally into two pieces. Blood coming out his nose and his eyes filling up. Should have seen that. For those who don't know what an endo is, here you go.

End result TV/MOVIES can have an influence on people but some people are just not wired in a way society wants. Realize a couple of hundred years ago the most violent guy around was probably the guy in charge.

Thanks for proving my point. The kid already had something wrong with him that made him want to try something he saw on TV. Most kids that see an Endo wouldn't immediately try it.

britain

This is more of a Star Wars post, but since we're on the subject of glasses / no-glasses:

What do you think, @marni1971? Is it artistic license that the guests here aren't wearing 3D glasses?

upload_2017-7-22_0-33-0.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom