Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

yensidtlaw1969

DL and WDW are the only two Peter Pan attractions that are covered by the ADA. Disneylands version of the ride functions very differently as the ships are individually dispatched and already stop for each guest.
Good point, I suppose ADA wouldn’t dictate anything over non-American attractions. Wasn’t thinking straight.

That said, cosmetic upgrades to the ride shouldn’t really necessitate a degree of edit to the ride system that would break any grandfather status.

I do wonder how accommodating the attraction actually is to guests with wheelchairs, I can’t recall ever actually witnessing any transfers or such in person.

yensidtlaw1969

And using a new soundtrack instead of the same loop of You Can Sky heard everywhere compared to Disneyland that uses music from the film.
I wouldn't even mind them keeping You Can Fly since it encapsulates the experience so well, I’m just amazed that so many of the voice overs sound the way they do. Hearing off-brand Captain Hook totally revs my nostalgia engine, but I can’t think of any real reason it shouldn’t be better.

AEfx

As explained to me the current attraction is grandfathered but any sizeable investment in the facility would require bringing the attraction up to current standards.

This is my understanding as well. Sure, they could probably get around it to muck with show scenes and such (like just adding the fiber optics, as discussed earlier), but I think Disney has just been refraining from making any investment in it at all until it finally is put down for a full-on "IASW" style-rebuild.

That said, I'm kind of surprised it hasn't happened yet. Or even been really rumored. I thought once NFL was done they might get it on the schedule, but there hasn't been a peep. I hope that when they do decide to do it, they really go all out and we end up with the best Pan of them all.

Disneylands version of the ride functions very differently as the ships are individually dispatched and already stop for each guest.

In talking to a few folks, from what I gather the official SOP for the WDW ride system is technically that if they need to stop the boats for any reason, the entire thing is supposed to go full 101 and be evac'd. The ride system is not designed/supposed to be restarted while guests on board. Which in that case means having to call in Reedy Creek FD and the whole nine yards. Now, in practice, they tend to push it and ignore this unless the ride is going to actually go down and not immediately reopen, so much so that a lot of CM's working on it don't even know that they aren't supposed to be doing it, and everyone else just looks the other way.

AEfx

I do wonder how accommodating the attraction actually is to guests with wheelchairs, I can’t recall ever actually witnessing any transfers or such in person.

The reason you don't see it is because it is very, very difficult.

Basically, they will let you start at the exit so you have a few extra seconds to try to make the transfer, and they can slightly slow the boats - but it entirely depends on if the person with a disability can walk a few steps or not and how agile they are. Someone that has to be manually transferred (a family member has to assist them because they cannot walk) is nearly impossible, as is it for anyone who manually transfers themselves (like one does on most rides, like transferring to a car seat and back from a wheelchair).

My niece has CP and cannot walk, and when she was younger we were able to just pick her up, run along side, and carry her on. Now that she is an adult, it is just impossible. They can't just offer to stop it (see above post), and can only do so if there is a fall/etc. Even when we could it was incredibly stressful, this is easily the most difficult ride to board at WDW.

Pan and TTA are the two non-accessible rides at MK that one wouldn't expect. With TTA, they simply won't let a wheelchair up there to even try. It's a shame - that for the most gentle, relaxing ride at WDW (TTA), and a ride where everyone gets to see what it would be like "if you could fly" - that you can only board if you can walk.

Rob562

The reason you don't see it is because it is very, very difficult.

Basically, they will let you start at the exit so you have a few extra seconds to try to make the transfer, and they can slightly slow the boats - but it entirely depends on if the person with a disability can walk a few steps or not and how agile they are. Someone that has to be manually transferred (a family member has to assist them because they cannot walk) is nearly impossible, as is it for anyone who manually transfers themselves (like one does on most rides, like transferring to a car seat and back from a wheelchair).

My niece has CP and cannot walk, and when she was younger we were able to just pick her up, run along side, and carry her on. Now that she is an adult, it is just impossible. They can't just offer to stop it (see above post), and can only do so if there is a fall/etc. Even when we could it was incredibly stressful, this is easily the most difficult ride to board at WDW.

Pan and TTA are the two non-accessible rides at MK that one wouldn't expect. With TTA, they simply won't let a wheelchair up there to even try. It's a shame - that for the most gentle, relaxing ride at WDW (TTA), and a ride where everyone gets to see what it would be like "if you could fly" - that you can only board if you can walk.

I've often wondered why they couldn't redesign the load/unload belt to be one continuous belt the entire length of the platform. That way they could give transfer people the entire length to try and make their transfers. I get that there's a guest flow issue of having to usher people off the unload belt and away onto the exit path and that it's easier if you're walking straight onto the belt from being in-line to it rather than easing on from the side, but it can be done. (Forbidden Journey at IOA has a half-speed feeder belt to get people up to full speed from the side of the belt)
At Pan if they needed barriers to usher exiting guests off the belt they could have some kind of retractable gates that pull back to expose the entire length of the belt for handicap loading/unloading.

-Rob

AEfx

I've often wondered why they couldn't redesign the load/unload belt to be one continuous belt the entire length of the platform. That way they could give transfer people the entire length to try and make their transfers. I get that there's a guest flow issue of having to usher people off the unload belt and away onto the exit path and that it's easier if you're walking straight onto the belt from being in-line to it rather than easing on from the side, but it can be done. (Forbidden Journey at IOA has a half-speed feeder belt to get people up to full speed from the side of the belt)
At Pan if they needed barriers to usher exiting guests off the belt they could have some kind of retractable gates that pull back to expose the entire length of the belt for handicap loading/unloading.

-Rob

That would make it easier for some. I really think it just comes down to the fact in order to really do a transfer that would satisfy ADA requirements, the ride vehicle needs to be able to be brought to a complete stop at any time without an issue.

mikejs78

Premium Member
3 words
Stitch's Great Escape
I don't think it's overrated. Most people realize that SGE is junk. With Pan, it consistently has long lines and is one of the more popular attractions in Fantasyland. So worst attraction? Yes, I'd agree SGE. Most overrated though, in the sense that it's reputation is far better than the actual attraction? There's a good case for MK Pan.

matt9112

I don't think it's overrated. Most people realize that SGE is junk. With Pan, it consistently has long lines and is one of the more popular attractions in Fantasyland. So worst attraction? Yes, I'd agree SGE. Most overrated though, in the sense that it's reputation is far better than the actual attraction? There's a good case for MK Pan.

I think the attractions wait time is because of the horrible capacity coupled with it's location in stroller kingdom. it's no true demand I guess is my point it's fantasyland demand and horrible capacity smacked together. I think fantasyland is in it's own time vortex sometimes and legitimately avoid walking through Fantasyland as often as possible.

EricsBiscuit

--joke--->

[]
| <--- You
/ \

RSoxNo1

and that's sayin somethin (ZING! ;)) ...
t'was almost facepalm territory for me, hate to say.

facility modernization notwithstanding, is it not a victim of it's own popularity?
Kids love it, the new queue is great but the ride looks and feels 45 years old. The ride vehicle is the novelty but the scenes themselves are severely lacking.
3 words
Stitch's Great Escape

Stitch's Great Escape is properly rated as the worst attraction in Walt Disney World. Also if certain sites are to be believed it's also extinct.

side note besides the recent que change when was the last time the ride element/scene/ect was changed in any way? ever?
October 1, 1971?

I think the attractions wait time is because of the horrible capacity coupled with it's location in stroller kingdom. it's no true demand I guess is my point it's fantasyland demand and horrible capacity smacked together. I think fantasyland is in it's own time vortex sometimes and legitimately avoid walking through Fantasyland as often as possible.
Capacity is around 1200 if I recall. That's actually pretty good for a C ticket, but clearly if they do a redesign they'd have to find a way to bump that up if possible.

matt9112

Kids love it, the new queue is great but the ride looks and feels 45 years old. The ride vehicle is the novelty but the scenes themselves are severely lacking.

Stitch's Great Escape is properly rated as the worst attraction in Walt Disney World. Also if certain sites are to be believed it's also extinct.

October 1, 1971?

Capacity is around 1200 if I recall. That's actually pretty good for a C ticket, but clearly if they do a redesign they'd have to find a way to bump that up if possible.

don't mean to armchair too much but I would imagine easiest option would be larger cars of some kind and a longer load platform. to keep in the logical constraints that Disney is unlikely to increase building size or change overall layout I think increasing load a little and increasing capacity of the ships or moving to have them even closer on track so more can board at once. I assume th8s would require a completely new track system to hold the additional weight ect but besides entire new ride what else can you do?

aladdin2007

October 1, 1971?

I might be mistaken but I believe back in the 90's it had a extensive makeover in terms of lighting, paint, etc etc upgrades.

EricsBiscuit

no. that doesn't work in this situation. you can't dismiss a perfectly valid point with "whoosh." SGE isn't overrated; the highest rating it's gotten is no rating at all. and there's no way you were making a sarcastic joke about how everyone hates SGE, because there was no joke to begin with
Works just fine bc it was a joke. Everyone hates SGE so I thought it was funny anyways.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom