Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

matt9112

The truth is you either make your ride do stuff and get around 2,000-ish riders per hour, 2,500 being high, or you make an omnimover or slow moving boat ride if you want a people eater. I’m shaking my head that anyone is scoffing at 2,100 riders per hour theoretical for a ride of this type.

Rise was also supposed to open with the land and another E-Ticket and not have this much burden placed on it.

So its impossible to ever build a ride system with large vehicles? Rotr doesn't look (fast) at all or thrilling in the sense of like a coaster. Theres nothing that says they couldn't have made bigger vehicles or to play devils advocate just double the entire ride? Sure it would be insanely expensive but to act like it cant be done is also silly.

matt9112

Agreed - I'm surprised this is even controversial. Virtual queuing offers all the benefits of first come, first served with a fraction of
Agreed - I'm surprised this is even controversial. Virtual queuing offers all the benefits of first come, first served with a fraction of the drawbacks, especially after removing RotR's sky-high demand and capacity challenges from the equation.

Except the entire park is undersized. Its not just star wars. You took a park that was underbuilt by every measurable metric that has not added any real capacity in a fair bit of time. than you build toy story and star wars back to back. These 4 rides would have made the park well rounded in the early 2000s....not now. The raw volume of people these days is insane. The park is in dire need of more capacity.

jinx8402

Re: Allowing guests to get one or both VQ for ROTR or MMRR

On one hand, having guests get both rides right at open would suck for people who couldn't get either. On the other hand, if everyone goes to get ROTR first, and after that "sells out", I could possibly see the other not getting filled up 100%.

What if they made you choose one or the other. Once you scan into your ride, you are able to get a VQ to the other ride, if groups are still available. This would essentially make it like how ROTR was the first few days where you could get multiple passes, but still limit to one ride on each.

Or even perhaps, make the second "drop" available after 12, this way if you are lucky enough to get one of the first boarding groups to say ROTR, it gives priority to people still entering the park to get a VQ to MMRR before you.

I think this would be the most fair to everyone. You have to decide which you would like to prioritize, and give a chance to even late entries a chance to ride at least one of the 2 new rides.

Animaniac93-98

Bet it's been cancelled. Or maybe it's being re-designed. Who knows?

I think we know the real reason for the delay:

PL Travers.jpg

aladdin2007

there were pictures online already of setup for the standby line and fast pass line...so will they just not be using that right away? the boarding group thing bothers me that you have to be there before opening as the only option.

yensidtlaw1969

I think I mentioned this in a Rise of the Resistance thread, but I can't explain how put off I'd be if Disney opens this ride with the Boarding Group system.

The intersection of circumstances at which Rise sits with regards to opening really doesn't apply to any other attraction. No matter how convenient the Boarding Group system seems to be for Rise, it's nowhere near necessary for Runaway Railway and we shouldn't be encouraging Disney to make a habit of using this system. The idea of using it here, at Ratatouille, and at Guardians (and, presumably then, TRON), as has already been hinted at on these boards, is tremendous and would completely change the WDW-going experience.

The equity that has already been chipped away at by My Disney Experience would suffer a devastating blow - think of having to get up at 6AM every day of your trip just for the chance to get on WDW's newest rides. How is that an appealing sentiment? This is without any indication yet of how long Boarding Groups will be enacted for Rise, and therefore no idea how long they would choose to enact Boarding Groups for any/every other new attraction.

I recall some poster(s?) saying back at opening that the system wouldn't even last this long, and yet here we are with no sign of when they will simply open the line to guests. At this point I can't imagine it will be soon, since they seem to be happy with the way it's working out over at Rise despite the ride's lack of reliability. Wasn't that at least part of the point? To be able to dump the line when the ride goes down while affecting a minimal amount of guests? If every new ride needs that then there's a greater issue at hand.

The bonus for Disney is that it gets guests out of a 10hr queue and back into the parks where they'll actually be spending money . . . which was also the point of Fastpass, but at least you didn't have to wake up before dawn every day to use it.

All this is said by someone who was able to get on Rise twice this week at DHS by waking up early for the virtual queue and was very, very pleased with the attraction. The system was nice enough and it did work, but if every new ride starts using this I shudder to think of what it will turn WDW into. It's fine as a unique exception to the rule, and Rise is exceptional enough - on many fronts - to warrant it. But let's not do Disney the favor of letting them think this could or should be the way they open every new major attraction. That would be such an ugly turn for the resort.

I'm all for Disney looking at ways to reduce the amount of time guests spend in line, but this ain't it. Let this be a one and done for Rise of the Resistance, and let's hope it's done with sooner rather than later.

matt9112

You don't build a church for Easter Sunday, but this ride should have had an actual attainable capacity of 2000+ an hour. The same is true of Flight of Passage. At least (in theory) with Flight of Passage they can add another theater or two.

What if easter Sunday is the new normal? The park is underbuilt.

Tom Morrow

I think I mentioned this in a Rise of the Resistance thread, but I can't explain how put off I'd be if Disney opens this ride with the Boarding Group system.

The intersection of circumstances at which Rise sits with regards to opening really doesn't apply to any other attraction. No matter how convenient the Boarding Group system seems to be for Rise, it's nowhere near necessary for Runaway Railway and we shouldn't be encouraging Disney to make a habit of using this system. The idea of using it here, at Ratatouille, and at Guardians (and, presumably then, TRON), as has already been hinted at on these boards, is tremendous and would completely change the WDW-going experience.

The equity that has already been chipped away at by My Disney Experience would suffer a devastating blow - think of having to get up at 6AM every day of your trip just for the chance to get on WDW's newest rides. How is that an appealing sentiment? This is without any indication yet of how long Boarding Groups will be enacted for Rise, and therefore no idea how long they would choose to enact Boarding Groups for any/every other new attraction.

I recall some poster(s?) saying back at opening that the system wouldn't even last this long, and yet here we are with no sign of when they will simply open the line to guests. At this point I can't imagine it will be soon, since they seem to be happy with the way it's working out over at Rise despite the ride's lack of reliability. Wasn't that at least part of the point? To be able to dump the line when the ride goes down while affecting a minimal amount of guests? If every new ride needs that then there's a greater issue at hand.

The bonus for Disney is that it gets guests out of a 10hr queue and back into the parks where they'll actually be spending money . . . which was also the point of Fastpass, but at least you didn't have to wake up before dawn every day to use it.

All this is said by someone who was able to get on Rise twice this week at DHS by waking up early for the virtual queue and was very, very pleased with the attraction. The system was nice enough and it did work, but if every new ride starts using this I shudder to think of what it will turn WDW into. It's fine as a unique exception to the rule, and Rise is exceptional enough - on many fronts - to warrant it. But let's not do Disney the favor of letting them think this could or should be the way they open every new major attraction. That would be such an ugly turn for the resort.

I'm all for Disney looking at ways to reduce the amount of time guests spend in line, but this ain't it. Let this be a one and done for Rise of the Resistance, and let's hope it's done with sooner rather than later.
Exactly, all of this. They've realized they've created a system that guarantees people are packing the park right at opening and staying for potentially longer than they intended. I think it's awful and I hope this is not their new target method. For the majority of us, getting to a theme park at 6 AM is NOT fun.

Also, with virtual queuing, there is no commitment once you're "in line", so naturally everyone will join regardless of the actual wait time. With a physical queue, the threshold for how long people will wait on a typical, non-peak day typically tops off around 2-3 hours. Rise would not have 10 hour lines if it had a normal queue because of this and also the fact that everyone who wants to ride it that day would not be required to arrive at park opening.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom