Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

No Name

Rise of the Resistance was designed with a maximum theoretical capacity of 2117 per hour. That is not foolishly low.

That’s your foolish opinion. For what they anticipated to be the most popular attraction in the most popular expansion in WDW history, it’s foolishly low, especially when in reality they aren’t getting close to theoretical. The fact that they can’t afford to have fastpass or even standby for the foreseeable future is telling. But that’s my opinion. Agree to disagree.

peter11435

That’s your foolish opinion. For what they anticipated to be the most popular attraction in the most popular expansion in WDW history, it’s foolishly low, especially when in reality they aren’t getting close to theoretical. The fact that they can’t afford to have fastpass or even standby for the foreseeable future is telling. But that’s my opinion. Agree to disagree.
My opinion is not foolish. The number is not low by any modern standard. It’s actually relatively high on the spectrum especially for an attraction with any sort of thrill. They aren’t getting close to theoretical due to unforeseen operational issues. It has already improved and will continue to get better. Not having fastpass is a good thing, not something to complain about.

ToTBellHop

see between dealing with that and being required to be there before park opening as the only option and chance, basically means no way of riding anything new.
More than 10,000 ride most days, but sure, “no way of riding.” Several hundred thousand people have definitely NOT ridden anything new.......

Tom Morrow

The truth is you either make your ride do stuff and get around 2,000-ish riders per hour, 2,500 being high, or you make an omnimover or slow moving boat ride if you want a people eater. I’m shaking my head that anyone is scoffing at 2,100 riders per hour theoretical for a ride of this type.

Rise was also supposed to open with the land and another E-Ticket and not have this much burden placed on it.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

The truth is you either make your ride do stuff and get around 2,000-ish riders per hour, 2,500 being high, or you make an omnimover or slow moving boat ride if you want a people eater. I’m shaking my head that anyone is scoffing at 2,100 riders per hour theoretical for a ride of this type.

Rise was also supposed to open with the land and another E-Ticket and not have this much burden placed on it.
2100 would be perfectly respectable opening around the same time as MFSR and MMRR. I do wonder about demand out west, which I presume will be higher early on.

techgeek

While I’m looking forward to MMRR, I have a hard time believing it’s going to have both the overall demand and technical issues as Rise. Let’s keep some perspective.

Rise has been hyped for years, commands widespread recognition among the general public and is the long-awaited Star Wars ride that redefines what a theme park attraction is. It opened alongside a blockbuster film that had the entire planet talking Star Wars. It’s ambitious in scope, relies on many human interactions, and has an unprecedented number of moving parts.

Your average guest has no idea when MMRR’s opening date is, if they are even aware of it at all. It’s another Mickey Mouse ride in a world of them. No one is planning their trip of the decade around it. While it’s trackless, it’s a relatively simple implementation and the scenic demands are largely met by projection mapping, a mature technology.

I think Rat and MMRR both will have pretty ‘normal’ demands and both should be able to meet them in a traditional way, like every other modern E-ticket.

doctornick

I get that everyone benefits from having a massive ride capacity, but sometimes the experience that is intended needs a certain ride system which may end up limiting the capacity. ~2000 seems pretty good to me. Granted it is not at that point yet, but if it gets there, I think it's "acceptable".

That being said.... what is the rider capacity for Shanghai Pirates? I think it is pretty high and, if so, that seems like it could be an option for a high capacity yet still having thrilling aspects type ride system. Should probably be something they should bring stateside sooner rather than later (unlike how long it took to bring LPS trackless here).

I've argued for a while that you could make a perfect Indiana Jones ride with that system.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
While I’m looking forward to MMRR, I have a hard time believing it’s going to have both the overall demand and technical issues as Rise. Let’s keep some perspective.

Rise has been hyped for years, commands widespread recognition among the general public and is the long-awaited Star Wars ride that redefines what a theme park attraction is. It opened alongside a blockbuster film that had the entire planet talking Star Wars. It’s ambitious in scope, relies on many human interactions, and has an unprecedented number of moving parts.

Your average guest has no idea when MMRR’s opening date is, if they are even aware of it at all. It’s another Mickey Mouse ride in a world of them. No one is planning their trip of the decade around it. While it’s trackless, it’s a relatively simple implementation and the scenic demands are largely met by projection mapping, a mature technology.

I think Rat and MMRR both will have pretty ‘normal’ demands and both should be able to meet them in a traditional way, like every other modern E-ticket.

I think MMRR will have a high demand because children. It'll be the ride that every family with children will schedule to do as much as Peter Pan and Pooh. It will be also as much a must-do for adults like the Haunted Mansion is.

Last edited:

BrianLo

I get that everyone benefits from having a massive ride capacity, but sometimes the experience that is intended needs a certain ride system which may end up limiting the capacity. ~2000 seems pretty good to me. Granted it is not at that point yet, but if it gets there, I think it's "acceptable".

That being said.... what is the rider capacity for Shanghai Pirates? I think it is pretty high and, if so, that seems like it could be an option for a high capacity yet still having thrilling aspects type ride system. Should probably be something they should bring stateside sooner rather than later (unlike how long it took to bring LPS trackless here).

I've argued for a while that you could make a perfect Indiana Jones ride with that system.

It's in excess of 3000 I think. The boats each seat 30 people.

30 discrete seats too that they are mostly motivated to fill, not just a bench.

I'm super, super glad WDW is getting the LPS wave. However, they so desperately need a wave of the Shanghai Pirates system, at multiple parks.

doctornick

Yes, but a Star Wars boat ride doesn’t really make sense.

Well, it could, its not like there isn't water in the SW universe. But for the specific stuff they wanted to do for SW:GE - ride the Millennium Falcon and be in a Star Destroyer - no that ride system wouldn't make sense.

But I think it is worth pointing out that the Shanghai Pirates' system is something that can provide increased motion and thrills while still offering high capacity.

However, I thought the LPS system, depending on the ride vehicle and how they are dispatched could be pretty darn high capacity. If you have larger vehicles and multiple loading areas, you could put a lot of people out pretty quickly. I would guess that a bigger factor is "show" because if you want vehcles to travel through the sets more apart/alone then you limithow quickly you would want to dispatch in order to provide spacing. If the premise of a ride is one where the vehicles are multiple and following each other closely, it could get pretty high, I would think.

Mike S

It’s important to note that Peter Pan’s Flight has ridiculously long lines nearly five decades after it opened and it’s not even that good. Meanwhile I walked right onto Forbidden Journey in the middle of the day the year it opened. It’s a matter of supply and demand that won’t be changing any time soon. Rise of the Resistance was foolishly designed with low throughput. Imagine if Galaxy’s Edge pulled in the crowds some anticipated... it would be even worse.

Hopefully MMRR is far better-designed in this regard and won’t have a similar issue.
I wonder what it would look like if Peter Pan had anywhere near the capacity Forbidden Journey has.
It's in excess of 3000 I think. The boats each seat 30 people.

30 discrete seats too that they are mostly motivated to fill, not just a bench.

I'm super, super glad WDW is getting the LPS wave. However, they so desperately need a wave of the Shanghai Pirates system, at multiple parks.
The Shanghai Pirates system applied to Indiana Jones could be interesting if you set it in Atlantis.

yensidtlaw1969

Let me just say this - if the Boarding Group method becomes de-rigueur for queueing new attractions at Walt Disney World and not just an exceptional implement to manage the unique situation at Rise, consider me wildly disinterested.

The confluence of circumstances under which Rise was opened is enough to justify the temporary effort to corral guests in a new way. To pretend that every "major" attraction from here on out need be managed in this way would be ridiculous and off-putting on Disney's part. How many attractions sit at the same intersection of popular influences as RotR? Everyone loves Mickey, sure, and I'm excited to ride, but come on.

The idea of having to get a Boarding Group for Ratatouille has me rolling. Is that really what things have come to?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom