Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

mickEblu

I'm just glad your plan spares Storybook Land. I was sure that would need to be axed in order to make room for any expansion here.

It would be atrocious and disgusting if Disney ever got rid of Storybookland for that crap BATB ride. Just make Disneyland an untouchable national park, historical landmark or something. I don’t think today’s imagineers / Disney could come up with something as charming as Storybookland with all the time and money in the world. Some of it is just because they really don’t know how/ don’t care to and some of it is just that sometimes everything lines up perfectly at a certain time in history in just the right environment with the right man in charge to make magic. Lightning in a bottle as they say. You can’t recreate it. When you get rid of some of this stuff you will most likely never be able to get it back even if they tried. So I’d be ok with Disneyland being a “museum” to be honest.

Ismael Flores

It would be atrocious and disgusting if Disney ever got rid of Storybookland for that crap BATB ride. Just make Disneyland an untouchable national park, historical landmark or something. I don’t think today’s imagineers / Disney could come up with something as charming as Storybookland with all the time and money in the world. Some of it is just because they really don’t know how/ don’t care to and some of it is just that sometimes everything lines up perfectly at certain time in history in just the right environment to make magic. Lightning in a bottle as they say. You can’t recreate it. When you get rid of some of this stuff you will most likely never be able to get it back even if they tried. So I’d be ok with Disneyland being a “museum” to be honest.

I agree about there being things that should not be touched but i wouldn't want it to be ever declared a historical landmark.

You have no idea how bad it is to do any modifications to something that is a historical landmark. I know someone that lives in an old Victorian home and because of it being in a historical area of the city even painting a room need to go thru lots of red tape.
Now Imagine if they had to change light bulbs or redress a storefront, they would need approvals and lots of red tape just to change something. As it is they do not even change burnt lights like they used to LOL

mickEblu

I agree about there being things that should not be touched but i wouldn't want it to be ever declared a historical landmark.

You have no idea how bad it is to do any modifications to something that is a historical landmark. I know someone that lives in an old Victorian home and because of it being in a historical area of the city even painting a room need to go thru lots of red tape.
Now Imagine if they had to change light bulbs or redress a storefront, they would need approvals and lots of red tape just to change something. As it is they do not even change burnt lights like they used to LOL

Hahah. I’d rather deal with some burnt out light bulbs than something like BATB castle replacing Storybookland though.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I'm just glad your plan spares Storybook Land. I was sure that would need to be axed in order to make room for any expansion here.
That's the beauty (no pun intended) of utilizing the expansion space between GE and TT for a show building. The area where the FL theater currently is would be plenty big for a provincial village square that has a facade that leads to the actual show building.

If it were me, I'd make the facade the entry into the forest and have the tunnel leading to the show building look like the forest between the village and the castle where the entrance to the show building could be the entrance to the castle. I'd also make the ride 10 times better than what they did in Tokyo.

bshah365

sorry had a busy day but here is the quick cut and paste i did, the buildings are to size inclduing the small buildings that i got from the WD beauty Beast beast area. Obviously the shape of the land is different then WDW so any construction could easily be modified so that things look a bit more in place.

The show building is from the new Tokyo land and would be treated similar to how IASW is built with a passage way under the berm and the queue building in front of the train tracks. the other small buildings i just cut and pasted with some adjustments and placed them around the fountain. what i believe is the storytime building was placed on the south east side as you enter this new area.

I added a pathway that could be placed to connect to Galaxy edge. This pathway can be cut into the dirt berm they added and would be heavily planted nearest this land and transition to the more dessert look as it joins the Galaxy edge fantasyland entrance path.

The fork that is created by the service road and pathway would use swinging gates to close the pathway when needed. not unusual and has been used in other parts of the resort.

The show building for the new ride would butt up against the Mickey meet and greet building and can also butt right up to the rescue rangers mini coaster and themed to create a backdrop for toontown. This might be an especially good thing because it would block some of the sun that fades many of those facades during the hot mid day hours.View attachment 499530

i really do not think that would be much of a problem if they used swinging gates. The lower portion of the service road (area right pass the new path i added) the south end of the theater narrows and is where the large metal tube tunnel is. The main portion of the road can be redirected and not be a problem.

You're incredible. While its great to visually see that a whole land expansion could fit without the removal of the classics, I don't think BatB is good. The new attraction has such a big footprint and is honestly very lackluster.. great technology but a major missing in consistent storyline/transitions and overall creativity. Idk who's watched the POV or if anybody agrees with me but it seems like everybody is solely obsessing w the new expensive/impressive animatronics... a ride that takes you through a 30 yr old movie that everyone has already seen 1515163 times just highlighting 4 random scenes from the film that don't transition into each other doesn't belong at the original Disneyland to me... just my opinion..

As much as I think Frozen is overdone, I do love ever after in epcot.. it would be nice to have a themed Arendelle land with a village, castle, shops, dining, and frozen ever after as the e ticket. Also I think that imagineering could play the Matterhorn within the sight lines and create a really beautiful winter village that fits Fantasyland.

mickEblu

You're incredible. While its great to visually see that a whole land expansion could fit without the removal of the classics, I don't think BatB is good. The new attraction has such a big footprint and is honestly very lackluster.. great technology but a major missing in consistent storyline/transitions and overall creativity. Idk who's watched the POV or if anybody agrees with me but it seems like everybody is solely obsessing w the new expensive/impressive animatronics... a ride that takes you through a 30 yr old movie that everyone has already seen 1515163 times just highlighting 4 random scenes from the film that don't transition into each other doesn't belong at the original Disneyland to me... just my opinion..

As much as I think Frozen is overdone, I do love ever after in epcot.. it would be nice to have a themed Arendelle land with a village, castle, shops, dining, and frozen ever after as the e ticket. Also I think that imagineering could play the Matterhorn within the sight lines and create a really beautiful winter village that fits Fantasyland.

Go visit the miscellaneous thought thread. Many of us agree with you. This isn’t Reddit or twitter. We re capable of critical thinking here.

George Lucas on a Bench

Hahah. I’d rather deal with some burnt out light bulbs than something like BATB castle replacing Storybookland though.

Hmm, just looked at some photos and I'm not a fan. Can't exactly tell, but at least the castle isn't a miserable failure of Forced Perspective like the thing in Florida. This was supposed to convince people it was a big castle off in the distance but it looks smaller than a Storybook Ride scene.

IMG_4328.jpg

They should never replace the storybook ride under any circumstances.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No

I don't think anyone has suggested that if they put BatB in Disneyland it would have to be the same ride as Tokyo. Yeah, he used the footprint of the Tokyo version in his mockup, but it could be different.

I always felt if there was a Frozen sub land it would fit better in the old motorboat area where it's closer to the Matterhorn (untouched) as a backdrop.

Ismael Flores

you are right, i just saw some videos and eventhough the technology looks amazing the rooms for the scenes are huge and somehow lack intimacy that a movie like that should have in a ride.

If an Arrendale is to be built i would prefer it to be somewhere in the old motorboat lagoon area so it has the matterhorn as backdrop.

They have so many animated pictures that would make for some fun attractions ideas just wanted to demonstrate that something fits in that area that can be used all day instead of a theater for a few hours

Ismael Flores

It is amazing what can fit in some areas of the park if they start thinking a bit more out of the park. few years back i did a cut and paste of the whole New Orleans square and surprisingly it all fit within the same footprint as Mullholand madness and the beer garden. This included the two eateries in New Orleans.

The whole club 33 portion could have been a second floor eatery open to the public. Now imagine a highly themed area that was themed to a seaside fishing port instead of New Orleans. made to feel as if that was the western gateway into a fun filled Paradise Pier. The zephyr moved to the area between the Carousel and Screamin coaster load area is. It would be placed in a tall wood clad platform so that the ships circled over the walkways of the pier. The coaster queue moved to its original designed location inside the helix and large sign hanging form the side of the helix announcing the coaster entrance.

Overlapping Pier attraction using the waste air space and creating a visual berm to hide the south side hotel and convention buildings.

The wasted water space between the boardwalk and water show projectors reclaimed with a new wooden boardwalk that had multiple small structures intertwined to eachother creating a small market place along the waters edge.

sorry will end it there i am really off topic, so three more years until for Mickey and Minnie ride right, lots of time for what looked like one big box and lots of projectors?

choco choco

It is amazing what can fit in some areas of the park if they start thinking a bit more out of the park. few years back i did a cut and paste of the whole New Orleans square and surprisingly it all fit within the same footprint as Mullholand madness and the beer garden. This included the two eateries in New Orleans.

The whole club 33 portion could have been a second floor eatery open to the public. Now imagine a highly themed area that was themed to a seaside fishing port instead of New Orleans. made to feel as if that was the western gateway into a fun filled Paradise Pier. The zephyr moved to the area between the Carousel and Screamin coaster load area is. It would be placed in a tall wood clad platform so that the ships circled over the walkways of the pier. The coaster queue moved to its original designed location inside the helix and large sign hanging form the side of the helix announcing the coaster entrance.

Overlapping Pier attraction using the waste air space and creating a visual berm to hide the south side hotel and convention buildings.

The wasted water space between the boardwalk and water show projectors reclaimed with a new wooden boardwalk that had multiple small structures intertwined to eachother creating a small market place along the waters edge.

sorry will end it there i am really off topic, so three more years until for Mickey and Minnie ride right, lots of time for what looked like one big box and lots of projectors?

I'm with you on all of that. Disney doesn't really design this way anymore, in which they try to make a believable, dense but small-scale urban environment. Even the new Beauty and the Beast area that just opened up in Tokyo doesn't seem right to me. The architecture of the individual shops and the color scheme all seem too monotonous, and none of the carved rocks and timber battens on the sides of buildings and doorways seem correctly scaled (all seem way too big). What's there is too little to even call their grouping a "village layout." The beast's castle is nicely detailed and colored, but is waaaaaay too over-sized for an entrance to a ride.

It's too bad. I guess none of the talent that handled Princess Fantasy Faire has bled into other projects. Disney seems to have lost the ability to get the layered look into any of their works anymore.

Brer Oswald

Hmm, just looked at some photos and I'm not a fan. Can't exactly tell, but at least the castle isn't a miserable failure of Forced Perspective like the thing in Florida. This was supposed to convince people it was a big castle off in the distance but it looks smaller than a Storybook Ride scene.

View attachment 499610

They should never replace the storybook ride under any circumstances.
Speaking of BatB in Florida...would anyone be THAT upset to see that area go? Sure, I kind of like the restaurant, and the Gaston Tavern area is nice, but I don’t ever see myself going into that show. Seems like a waste of a really good footprint, and for what? A table service and a 3 foot castle?

Expand it back a bit. Make it a Wonderland Forest. Put in a unique trackless Alice Ride. Add a restaurant. Already a better capacity filler than what’s there now. Maybe it’s just me, but Florida’s Fantasyland needs a lot of help compared to Disneyland’s.

drizgirl

Speaking of BatB in Florida...would anyone be THAT upset to see that area go? Sure, I kind of like the restaurant, and the Gaston Tavern area is nice, but I don’t ever see myself going into that show. Seems like a waste of a really good footprint, and for what? A table service and a 3 foot castle?

Expand it back a bit. Make it a Wonderland Forest. Put in a unique trackless Alice Ride. Add a restaurant. Already a better capacity filler than what’s there now. Maybe it’s just me, but Florida’s Fantasyland needs a lot of help compared to Disneyland’s.
Keep dreaming. I'm sure Disney is very happy with the revenue that area is producing. And plenty of people are happy with it as it is. Regardless, they're not expanding in the MK any time in the near future. Probably not in the far future either.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

I agree that the restaurant is a dud: externally, internally, and comestibly. But Disney is loathe to kill an attraction before its lifetime as they figure out how much it is worth as part of the overall price of admission to the park. If you spend a hundred million on an attraction, for example, you want it to earn back more than that as profit and even more to pay for a replacement before you scrub it. That's how lackluster attractions stick around for so long... Disney wants its money's worth from it. You need something to be horribly bad or constantly not working for it to be replaced so soon (and Disney plans in terms of decades).

Also: pandemic, recession, no money...

:(

Brer Oswald

I agree that the restaurant is a dud: externally, internally, and comestibly. But Disney is loathe to kill an attraction before its lifetime as they figure out how much it is worth as part of the overall price of admission to the park. If you spend a hundred million on an attraction, for example, you want it to earn back more than that as profit and even more to pay for a replacement before you scrub it. That's how lackluster attractions stick around for so long... Disney wants its money's worth from it. You need something to be horribly bad or constantly not working for it to be replaced so soon (and Disney plans in terms of decades).

Also: pandemic, recession, no money...

:(
Maybe in 40 years. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom