Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

BubbaisSleep

Speaking of BatB in Florida...would anyone be THAT upset to see that area go? Sure, I kind of like the restaurant, and the Gaston Tavern area is nice, but I don’t ever see myself going into that show. Seems like a waste of a really good footprint, and for what? A table service and a 3 foot castle?

Expand it back a bit. Make it a Wonderland Forest. Put in a unique trackless Alice Ride. Add a restaurant. Already a better capacity filler than what’s there now. Maybe it’s just me, but Florida’s Fantasyland needs a lot of help compared to Disneyland’s.
That new Dumbo circus area that was formerly their Toontown can go first in my opinion. I don't think I'll ever once need to visit that area. Replace it with something for everyone to see & finally add a worthy attraction in NFL. At least DL's Toontown is worth checking out while still being child-centric and will be even more amazing after MMRR opens.

Brer Oswald

That new Dumbo circus area that was formerly their Toontown can go first in my opinion. I don't think I'll ever once need to visit that area. Replace it with something for everyone to see & finally add a worthy attraction in NFL. At least DL's Toontown is worth checking out while still being child-centric and will be even more amazing after MMRR opens.
I agree. I was coming up with replacements in my head a few weeks ago. A quaint Alpine Village with a Pinocchio ride sounds nice to me.

Brer Panther

Expand it back a bit. Make it a Wonderland Forest. Put in a unique trackless Alice Ride. Add a restaurant. Already a better capacity filler than what’s there now. Maybe it’s just me, but Florida’s Fantasyland needs a lot of help compared to Disneyland’s.
Yeah, Disney World's Fantasyland needs more. I doubt they'll be adding much to it for a while since the expansion is still... relatively recent, I guess, but it could definitely use another dark ride or two.

George Lucas on a Bench

20200925_095823.jpg
20200925_095607.jpg
20200925_095548.jpg

20200925_095556.jpg

Figments Friend

As @Sharon&Susan said, It also looks to me like the vehicles are suspended throughout. The scene work and flow is all much superior, but the defining difference for me is that transparent-with-effects barrier between above water and below. This version takes you on a journey though the emotional world of the film instead of flashing some book report imagery imitating the film.

Because - 'Tony Baxter'.

:)

-

Figments Friend

It's especially apparent when compared to Pirates of the Caribbean, and Haunted Mansion that are able to either theme or masterfully disguise the ceiling with excellent lighting. Splash Mountain does a decent job as well.
I once had the pleasure of riding 'Pirates of The Caribbean' with Tony Baxter at Disneyland a few years ago.
A great experience, as I'm sure you can well imagine.

One of the memorable highlights was when Tony started talking about 'hiding the ceiling' purposely through clever means.
As we rose up the waterfall of the final lift, he pointed out a lone spotlight ahead of us.
He explained the purpose of what seemed a meaningless thing, but that single light mounted in the black ceiling above was the magical key to disguising the fact we were inside of a building.
How so?

The light shines directly in your eyes just as you crest the top of that final lift....'blinding' your eyes so you don't notice the ceiling.
The light is perfectly lined up with the viewers sightlines as your boat reaches the top of the lift, when your line of sight would indeed be very obviously seeing the ceiling.
But that one bright light makes it magically 'disappear'.

Simple effect, yet so brilliant in its thought.

Every time when I ride and reach that point on the lift and see that light, I think of Tony and his story regarding it's purpose for being there.

This is why he is the living legend that he is.
He learned from the best, and built on the foundation already laid by the people who inspired him.
And he now passes those lessons on to those open and willing to listen.

Last edited:

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I once had the pleasure of riding 'Pirates of The Caribbean' with Tony Baxter at Disneyland a few years ago.
A great experience, as I'm sure you can well imagine.

One of the memorable highlights was when Tony started talking about 'hiding the ceiling' purposely through clever means.
As we rose up the falls of final lift, he pointed out a lone spotlight ahead of us.
He explained the purpose of what seemed a meaningless thing, but that single light mounted in the black ceiling above was the magical key to disguising the fact we were inside of a building.
The light shines directly in your eyes as you crest the top of that final lift....'blinding' your eyes so you don't notice the ceiling.

Simple effect, yet so brilliant in its thought.

Every time when I ride and reach that point on the lift and see that light, I think of Tony and his story regarding it's purpose for being there.
This is why he is the living legend that he is!

Only time I dont feel like i am in a building is during the caves. once i am out of there i look up and see the show ceiling everytime. plus as soon as we go up that final lift we immediately see the doors that lead outside and we can easily tell if it is night or day and we are inside so I don't get the point Tony was trying to make when seconds after that light you see the outside world to remind you that you are in a building. cool story though.

Figments Friend

Only time I dont feel like i am in a building is during the caves. once i am out of there i look up and see the show ceiling everytime. plus as soon as we go up that final lift we immediately see the doors that lead outside and we can easily tell if it is night or day and we are inside so I don't get the point Tony was trying to make when seconds after that light you see the outside world to remind you that you are in a building. cool story though.

The point was bringing attention to the fact that something so simple can lead to clever ways of solving problems.

The 'problem' in this case was the angle of the boat during that lift sequence made the ceiling very visable to riders.
Unlike today, there was concern about that.
They wanted to try to keep the illusion of the ceiling being the night sky and not make it appear like the obvious ceiling inside of a building that it was.
Without the 'light trick' , it's fairly in your face at that angle during the ascent.

The light is directed into your eyes as you are reaching the top of the final lift.
Once you reach the top, your sight lines are no longer looking up at the ceiling, and most are naturally looking ahead of them at all the Guests lined up in the queue and the entrance area.
But that moment when you are moving up and your boat I just about to reach the top, with your eyes looking upwards towards the ceiling, is when this light is working its magic.
Once you pass over the lift, there is no need to hide the fact you are in a building as your eyes are telling you otherwise.

-

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

The point was bringing attention to the fact that something so simple can lead to clever ways of solving problems.

The 'problem' in this case was the angle of the boat during that lift sequence made the ceiling very visable to riders.
Unlike today, there was concern about that.
They wanted to try to keep the illusion of the ceiling being the night sky and not make it appear like the obvious ceiling inside of a building that it was.
Without the 'light trick' , it's fairly in your face at that angle during the ascent.

The light is directed into your eyes as you are reaching the top of the final lift.
Once you reach the top, your sight lines are no longer looking up at the ceiling, and most are naturally looking ahead of them at all the Guests lined up in the queue and the entrance area.
But that moment when you are moving up and your boat I just about to reach the top, with your eyes looking upwards towards the ceiling, is when this light is working its magic.
Once you pass over the lift, there is no need to hide the fact you are in a building as your eyes are telling you otherwise.

-
I don't think that's particularly brilliant and I love pirates. once you are past the caves, at anytime you can look up and easily tell you are in a show building. Did they think people forgot? I don't think that spotlight solves a problem because there is no problem to begin with. because I can see the ceiling at any point after the caves and the lift makes it no less obvious. Like a said a few seconds later we see we are in a building by seeing the entrance doors and the queue. Cool story but I don't think that is agreat moment in imagineering as Baxter does. But it is awesome you met him and got to ride a iconic ride like Pirates with him.

Last edited:

TP2000

But you’re the Troy Porter! Weren’t you his boss or something?

Yeah, exactly... The last time I saw him was at the Bristol Farms over in Yorba Linda a few weeks after all that happened in '19. I was trying so hard to not laugh out loud as he stood next to me at the butcher's case while I was thinking "I should just turn to him and say 'Hi, I'm TP2000, you know who I am' and see what he said."

But again, I just didn't have the guts. Instead I followed him around the store, dodging Yorba Linda housewives, until I could get a creeper photo of him to prove I saw him for my friends here.

It was hysterical! I'm sure those August '19 posts are still here somewhere, in whatever thread that was. 🤣

Last edited:

TP2000

How did you know he was at Best Buy?

This was like a decade ago, when people still went to Best Buy. He was in the DVD section looking at TV boxed sets.

In the 2000's, I used to see his Range Rover driving around this neck of the woods with his very distinctive Indy themed custom license plate. If I'd thought about it, I would have stalked him into the parking lot at Bristol Farms last year to see what he's driving now. But I bet he still has the same custom license plate.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
It's especially apparent when compared to Pirates of the Caribbean, and Haunted Mansion that are able to either theme or masterfully disguise the ceiling with excellent lighting. Splash Mountain does a decent job as well.
Whether it is a tracked ride, trackless, or an omnimover, your attention usually is in the direction of the vehicle. If it is an instance like a Fantasyland dark ride or the three you mentioned, it's pretty easy to hide lighting behind things like walls or props because you usually will never look behind you. There was/is a Youtube channel where someone filmed all the attractions at Disneyland facing backward. It was awful. You could see all the lights, sensors, and anything else you weren't supposed to see.

The problem with attractions like M&MRR and BatB is that the sets are a full 360 degrees and the vehicles spin around in all directions, so it's impossible to hide the lights and projectors behind anything, so they simply put them in the ceiling. I just don't understand why they can't do a better job of figuring out how to cover them up. <shrug> Maybe I'm over simplifying it.

1601140672898.png

lazyboy97o

Whether it is a tracked ride, trackless, or an omnimover, your attention usually is in the direction of the vehicle. If it is an instance like a Fantasyland dark ride or the three you mentioned, it's pretty easy to hide lighting behind things like walls or props because you usually will never look behind you. There was/is a Youtube channel where someone filmed all the attractions at Disneyland facing backward. It was awful. You could see all the lights, sensors, and anything else you weren't supposed to see.

The problem with attractions like M&MRR and BatB is that the sets are a full 360 degrees and the vehicles spin around in all directions, so it's impossible to hide the lights and projectors behind anything, so they simply put them in the ceiling. I just don't understand why they can't do a better job of figuring out how to cover them up. <shrug> Maybe I'm over simplifying it.

View attachment 500789
The reason they can’t cover them up is two fold. First, lighting is still one of those things that is very heavily done in the field. Design drawings are more like good estimates than firm plans. You don’t really know what you’re doing until you do, with a lot of tweaking and adjusting occurring. Second, there are a lot of legal requirements around ceilings in terms of access to equipment, continuity and fire protection.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom