Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

Phroobar

Best case scenario, it would be like Islands of Adventure. Impressive, but with nowhere near the heart and emotional connection to many generations that DL has.
Any park that is old enough has that kind of emotional connection. You don't need an animated rat for that. Warner Brothers could have done the same thing with Bugs Bunny. They didn't do it because it was unproven and outside their business model.

Rich T

Any park that is old enough has that kind of emotional connection. You don't need an animated rat for that. Warner Brothers could have done the same thing with Bugs Bunny. They didn't do it because it was unproven and outside their business model.
I don't think any other studio library would have had the emotional impact of Disneyland. With all due respect, if you actually believe WB could have created a park with any of the actual heart and warmth that earned DL its huge fanbase over the decades using Bugs Bunny and crew.... Sorry. No. It could be a nice park, sure. But it wouldn't have anywhere near the impact of a park based on beloved films like Snow White, Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty etc. and the Americana and True-Life documentaries coming from Disney.

We'd never know what we were missing, just as if the Beatles had never formed we'd have still had great music in the 60's and 70's, but there'd be no Beatles phenomenon and influence. There'd be something else in its place, but it would be different.

I've been to alternate Earths! I know what I'm talking about! Howdy Doody Land was interesting, but it was no Disneyland! :D

Rich T

There were competitors out there. Walter Knott had the same idea as Walt Disney but didn't have the budget but would have eventually gotten there. Other parks where on the right track. The rise of the middle class suburbia is what made the modern theme park popular idea.
I can see Knott's coming the closest, but of course a lot of that quality was Disney-influenced. Still, I can see Knott's evolving independently as an awesome history-based experience.

TROR

I don't think any other studio library would have had the emotional impact of Disneyland. With all due respect, if you actually believe WB could have created a park with any of the actual heart and warmth that earned DL its huge fanbase over the decades using Bugs Bunny and crew.... Sorry. No. It could be a nice park, sure. But it wouldn't have anywhere near the impact of a park based on beloved films like Snow White, Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty etc. and the Americana and True-Life documentaries coming from Disney.

We'd never know what we were missing, just as if the Beatles had never formed we'd have still had great music in the 60's and 70's, but there'd be no Beatles phenomenon and influence. There'd be something else in its place, but it would be different.

I've been to alternate Earths! I know what I'm talking about! Howdy Doody Land was interesting, but it was no Disneyland! :D
A better world.

Anyways, I don't think it makes a difference. Other than Fantasyland and characters around the park, nothing in Disneyland 1955 had to do with the animated films. Its success would've still happened for no other reason that people in the 1950's loved America and I'd argue that a park celebrating America with no Disney name or characters but the Disney quality could still be successful if placed in the right area.

Rich T

A better world.

Anyways, I don't think it makes a difference. Other than Fantasyland and characters around the park, nothing in Disneyland 1955 had to do with the animated films. Its success would've still happened for no other reason that people in the 1950's loved America and I'd argue that a park celebrating America with no Disney name or characters but the Disney quality could still be successful if placed in the right area.
I'm thinking the best we'd get would be a larger Knott's (or Knott's-like park), which wouldn't be bad at all. But it wouldn't be the unique blend of history, fantasy and Americana that is DL. Because, after all, DL is called Disneyland for a reason.

Looney Tunes Land or BettyBoopsberg? Fun, but no heartwarming depth there. Remember, there have been a lot of failed, long-boarded-up attempts to replicate DL's success that so many thought was easy to copy.

And then, of course, there's Six Flags...

Sharon&Susan

something tells me you've never been to the uae...
i don't blame you
Figures with no movement and slow dark rides do not mix. And no, for all those planning to build something in the UAE, adding screens everywhere does not fix anything. Either speed up the ride (Trackless is not always better) or give some decent movement to the figures.

smile

Figures with no movement and slow dark rides do not mix. And no, for all those planning to build something in the UAE, adding screens everywhere does not fix anything. Either speed up the ride (Trackless is not always better) or give some decent movement to the figures.

yerp - referencing the parks in abu dhabi and dubai...
there's def some good strewn about, but there's also a big chunk of better luck next time. and for a lot of money.

Sharon&Susan

yerp - referencing the parks in abu dhabi and dubai...
there's def some good strewn about, but there's also a big chunk of better luck next time. and for a lot of money.
If that Shrek ride at Motionworld was built inside any Disney park, it’d probably be considered the worst dark ride in the whole Disney lexicon even worse than Superstar Limo, but it’s considered the BEST dark ride in all of Dubai from what I hear.

Apparently the standards down in Dubai are quite low.

Sharon&Susan

I despise these indoor theme parks. However, you know something is wrong when Warner Bros. Movie Park Abu Dhabi looks better than Walt Disney Studios Paris.
The indoor parks seem to spend lots of money on theming the exteriors and queue and the money they do spend on the rides seems to go toward having the rides be trackless. Pathetic

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom