Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

celluloid

Not get on the ride, every single time. And I don't care what ride it is. Never in my life will I wait 3 hours for something.

This may be a shock to you, and it goes back to my original point and your false dilemma, but the line is not going to often be three hours. Certainly not for the majority of the day on a typical day. Even early opening era, and certainly not Guardians at this point.

Also, people are different. And with so many people being different, does not mean that they have to be happy with Disney doing a system that does not appeal to them.

Besides Kongfrontation at Universal Studios opening day, Hagrids and early Gringotts I don't recall anyone waiting most of the day for one ride anywhere. And I have been to, worked at, coordinated theme park attractions for my entire life.

It is not the norm you are making it out to be. 3 and 4 hours is rare for even Disney. And that wait is not lasting long.

If you do not like those waits, than being there on that day and choosing that ride that day is not for you.

CaptainAmerica

This may be a shock to you, and it goes back to my original point and your false dilemma, but the line is not going to often be three hours. Certainly not for the majority of the day on a typical day. Even early opening era, and certainly not Guardians at this point.
You can't have it both ways.

You can't claim "the standby line isn't always going to be super long" while also claiming "it's always going to be very difficult to get a boarding group."

The decline (over time) of the would-be standby line also corresponds with a decline (over time) of the difficulty securing a BG.

Nothing in any of these parks is so much better than everything else that it's worth committing that much queuing time that can be better spent having fun elsewhere.

mickEblu

Not get on the ride, every single time. And I don't care what ride it is. Never in my life will I wait 3 hours for something.

It’s not something I’d do more than once but the choice would be nice. I would have waited 3 hours on Friday (a day that had been reserved 90 days in advance) when I struck out for boarding groups twice, Lightning lanes were sold out and my son was dying to go on.

celluloid

You can't claim "the standby line isn't always going to be super long" while also claiming "it's always going to be very difficult to get a boarding group."

The decline (over time) of the would-be standby line also corresponds with a decline (over time) of the difficulty securing a BG.

Nothing in any of these parks is so much better than everything else that it's worth committing that much queuing time that can be better spent having fun elsewhere.

You don't understand or are being obtuse, your name calling earlier to another suggests the latter. Even when you get a boarding group, it is not often at a time that would be convenient. Some people would rather just go when they are there and wait a couple of hours (in reality, likely much less) rather than backtracking more to wait a half hour. By the end of it not being much of a time difference. It is not much of a time saver and just displaces your wait elsewhere. The psychology there is good for some and the potential revenue for guests roaming opportunities is even better for Disney.

You don't choose when you ride, that is kind of what a boarding group does.

For not liking to wait three hours for a ride, you sure will spend four calling others nuts and making false claims.

Consumer

I waited around two hours to ride Rise of the Resistance for the first time. It was completely worth it but I likely never would have experienced it had I gone to Disneyland when the ride still required VQ. I was able to go on it again later in the day and only waited 30 minutes. Again, not possible with VQ.

VQ sucks.

Disney Analyst

Exactly. Mickey got to Mickey. He’s been trying to hit that in nearly every way possible for over 90 years as you note.

Completely consistent with his character and core motivation.

Now, when did Minnie start kicking small animals (unintentionally) for yucks again?

Back at the beginning she intentionally cranked this animals tail around:

Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 2.40.13 PM.png

Then later during her house wife era (40's-50's), she was trying to whack Figaro with a broom:

Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 2.38.31 PM.png

And also was yanking Pluto by the tail to get ahold of him:

Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 2.38.55 PM.png

Clearly Minnie has always had a thing about getting rough with Animals. What a horrible cartoon character.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is Minnie cruel by accidentally and unknowingly kicking Pluto?

If so, then Mickey and all his friends are cruel.

Mickey and Minnie's pie accidentally and unknowing caused the engine locomotive that Goofy is in to explode. That's attempted manslaughter.

Mickey accidentally but knowingly hit the track switch sending our train cars amok. That put us all in mortal danger over and over again, especially in the factory room. (We're in the cartoon world, if you haven't figured that out yet.)

Mickey and Minnie accidentally lasso each other putting each other in danger from the vultures.

As Pluto, the good boy that he is, tries to catch up to Mickey and Minnie, his owner, *Mickey*, keeps failing to see how his dog keeps getting into mortal danger by trying to keep up with him.

And let's not forget Goofy's safety negligence in letting his passengers get into all sorts of danger. What a horrible, horrible character Goofy is. His dangerous incompetence should warrant him being placed in a home where he is no longer a danger to himself or others.

This is the nature of slapstick cartoons.

Claiming Minnie is unusually cruel (tho, how can one be cruel accidentally and unknowingly, I don't know) is a gross distortion of the situation and gross ignorance of the genre.

I don't know how someone can be that ignorant of the context and genre.

It's almost as if they're just overwhelmed with emotion and unable to think clearly, or, they're intentionally miscontruing the situation to score misdirected nerdrage points.

lazyboy97o

The decline in demand does not correspond between a stand-by queue and a boarding group queue.

Part of why demand declines is because people become less willing to wait. That is not at play with boarding groups. The ease of entry, particularly for those with greater familiarity and ease of access, maintains demand. People who otherwise wouldn’t bother with even a moderate wait will try for a boarding group.

The boarding group system also allows for operational issues to be masked. That’s the big reason Rise of the Resistance had boarding groups and not an all FastPass opening. Reliability was so poor that Disney couldn’t commit people to the day, much less a specific time frame. Boarding groups help you mask problems because people don’t see them.

Skip

Many people traveling to a theme park want to experience the heavily-advertised new ride. Because many of these guests are repeat visitors, they are willing to devote more of their days to seeing the new ride, even at the expense of other attractions, which they have seen before. Many guests may not even be aware that they need to "join a boarding group" prior to arriving, meaning they miss out on one of their only opportunities to get access. Others are aware there isn't a regular line but are not familiar with the system, are not technologically adept, or may not even have the sharp motor functions to do the "fast taps" required to succeed.

Even if you do "everything right," which is in no way a given, you can still be denied access. It's an anti-guest system, and it's embarrassing that anyone here is defending it.

Dr.Cheeto

Back at the beginning she intentionally cranked this animals tail around:

View attachment 695869

Then later during her house wife era (40's-50's), she was trying to whack Figaro with a broom:

View attachment 695870

And also was yanking Pluto by the tail to get ahold of him:

View attachment 695871

Clearly Minnie has always had a thing about getting rough with Animals. What a horrible cartoon character.
Great stuff. I posted a similar reply that is awaiting moderator approval (just FYI if you see it posted later).
EDIT: I guess the post got denied, because I dont even see it as "waiting for approval" anymore. Oh well I guess we have moved on.

Last edited:

celluloid

"Elsewhere," as in "doing something fun somewhere else."

For some, but when it has passed your kids' nap time, it's a hot day where the kids are tired of walking, lunch is what you were expecting next and you are way further in EPCOT from Guardians than you would want to be, no one is really having fun, compared to if you just would have child swapped first thing in the morning and moved on with your day as you wish not wondering when to go back. Oh wait your VQ has moved up again, it seems. Maybe in the next bit. Ok time for lunch. Oh man, it is here. Time to go. Now we have a kid who is not as happy as they could have been if we were just allowed to ride when we were right next to the building and chose to wait before mid day, and lunch options as well as attraction options will be far more crowded because of all those people doing something fun someplace else. We did not even get to eat and spend money when we thought it would be ideal to hit one of the few attractions we cared to do.

The lack of choice compared to no VQ.

Just one of the many examples of what is common vs VQ single person hanging out on a Saturday.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Many people traveling to a theme park want to experience the heavily-advertised new ride. Because many of these guests are repeat visitors, they are willing to devote more of their days to seeing the new ride, even at the expense of other attractions, which they have seen before. Many guests may not even be aware that they need to "join a boarding group" prior to arriving, meaning they miss out on one of their only opportunities to get access. Others are aware there isn't a regular line but are not familiar with the system, are not technologically adept, or may not even have the sharp motor functions to do the "fast taps" required to succeed.

Even if you do "everything right," which is in no way a given, you can still be denied access. It's an anti-guest system, and it's embarrassing that anyone here is defending it.
I think there are benefits to being able to confirm access. It’s nice to know if you’re going to be able to experience an attraction, especially one that is experiencing operational issues. In the hypothetical lottery I mentioned early, I think there would be a benefit to weighing the odds to favor certain guests over others, something like hotel guest > day guest > pass holder > recent repeat rider.

Queues snaking out past the marquee can be obnoxious. It can be difficult for riders to find the end of a poorly defined queue of people crowding around and the crowd the walkways which negatively impacts the experience of non-riders. Hagrid’s extended queue does not in any way improve the already crowded entry of Hogsmead. This is why Operations wants things like the extended queue space being able to route backstage like we at Galaxy’s Edge and now at Runaway Railway.

CaptainAmerica

Part of why demand declines is because people become less willing to wait. That is not at play with boarding groups. The ease of entry, particularly for those with greater familiarity and ease of access, maintains demand. People who otherwise wouldn’t bother with even a moderate wait will try for a boarding group.
I don't know what to say beyond this being entirely disconnected from my real world experience. I'm something like 20 for 20 securing boarding groups no later than early afternoon for Rise, Rat, and Guardians, and I'm neither a technical wizard nor the owner of some kind of superior smartphone.

gerarar

Premium Member
Yesterday, the 7am drop lasted for ~1 min, 1pm drop ~23 mins.
Today, 7am drop ~6 mins, 1pm drop ~3 mins.

It already seems to be following the pattern and trends as did GotG: Cosmic Rewind many months ago when it opened.

It's kinda messy to look at, but focus on the orange line which shows the 1pm drop already lasting for tens of mins after a week of opening, which I anticipate the same will happen for MMRR.
As long guests get in the park before that 1pm drop, they should able to grab a BG. And with DL's late closing time, the safe guaranteed threshold should be around BG 200.
scatter_plot-325.png

(Above graph is mine and comes from data I track)

I track the VQ drops for CR, so it's interesting for me to compare how MMRR is doing.

el_super

Even if you do "everything right," which is in no way a given, you can still be denied access.

This has always been true. Always. Whether people were denied access for monetary reasons like back in Walt's day, or denied access because of limitations that prevented them from waiting hours for a ride, someone always had to sit out.

The other major flaw in this thinking is that it assumes that the primary value of the visit is derived from only the new ride. It absolutely shows a biased toward repeat visitors that may only visit to see the new thing. It isn't reality in the slightest. People had fun at Disneyland the day before a new ride open and can still enjoy their day without riding the new thing.

Which is why ultimately, none of these virtual queue complaints amount to anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom