Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

Ismael Flores

I am surprised that with the ability to program ride vehicles to move around the building, that they have not created small moving physical sets that can move around and created a synergy within these huge where house style showrooms.

Lets take for example the new Beauty and beast ride. Why could they not have included programmed set pieces in the "be our guest" sequence that moved around the floor and ride vehicles.
Same goes for the show scene where not much of anything happens while Belle is on one end of the huge room singing and Beast is on the other side. The whole room seems like one waste of space that tries to use lighting to set a mood while people just wobble and move around the room watching them do a duet.

Spending millions on impressive AA"s does nothing if the surrounding set is a dud

lazyboy97o

I am surprised that with the ability to program ride vehicles to move around the building, that they have not created small moving physical sets that can move around and created a synergy within these huge where house style showrooms.

Lets take for example the new Beauty and beast ride. Why could they not have included programmed set pieces in the "be our guest" sequence that moved around the floor and ride vehicles.
Same goes for the show scene where not much of anything happens while Belle is on one end of the huge room singing and Beast is on the other side. The whole room seems like one waste of space that tries to use lighting to set a mood while people just wobble and move around the room watching them do a duet.

Spending millions on impressive AA"s does nothing if the surrounding set is a dud
They have. Pooh’s Hunny Hunt has a Heffalump and Woozle in a vehicle moving around with the riders.

TP2000

They have. Pooh’s Hunny Hunt has a Heffalump and Woozle in a vehicle moving around with the riders.

True, but that was over 20 years ago. They could have added something similar to Ratatouille, Luigi's Roadsters, Mickey's Railway, Rise Before Dawn, etc.

I'm really trying to avoid watching that new Beauty & The Beast ride in Tokyo before my next trip there, but threads like this don't make it easy! :banghead:

Ismael Flores

So basically WDI has done that before but instead of expanding on it to make newer attractions even more engaging they are going someone backwards.

The things that made darkrides enjoyable was the intimacy of the small vehicles and closeness of the physical sets.

I know that with new rules and regulations for ADA escape route they had to alter their thinking.
They started pushing sets back away from vehicle and making vehicles slightly larger. First ride I can think of that suffered from that is Pooh in Anaheim. Oversized vehicles, plain sets that were pushed back from guest added to the loss of charm and intimacy that a dark ride should give.

The newer rides like the trackless in galaxy edge, Mickey and Minnie and Beauty seem to Make that problem more visible.
Amazing Aa’s, impressive sets but lack of substance that pull the guest into the story.
The only one that comes close to accomplishing that is rise of resistance but even then some of those large impressive sets and rooms lack substance.
I would rather have a few effective Aa’s then one multi million dollar one

choco choco

So basically WDI has done that before but instead of expanding on it to make newer attractions even more engaging they are going someone backwards.

The things that made darkrides enjoyable was the intimacy of the small vehicles and closeness of the physical sets.

I know that with new rules and regulations for ADA escape route they had to alter their thinking.
They started pushing sets back away from vehicle and making vehicles slightly larger. First ride I can think of that suffered from that is Pooh in Anaheim. Oversized vehicles, plain sets that were pushed back from guest added to the loss of charm and intimacy that a dark ride should give.

The newer rides like the trackless in galaxy edge, Mickey and Minnie and Beauty seem to Make that problem more visible.
Amazing Aa’s, impressive sets but lack of substance that pull the guest into the story.
The only one that comes close to accomplishing that is rise of resistance but even then some of those large impressive sets and rooms lack substance.
I would rather have a few effective Aa’s then one multi million dollar one

I think the regulation is still clearance of three feet on each side of the vehicle. That's...not that big of a deal in terms of intimacy loss. Even many of the old Fantasyland dark rides probably already clear that pretty easily. Pushing sets back probably was part of the nickel and diming of all rides ("if we push it back another two feet, that's another 4 sq ft we don't have to decorate").

So the loss of intimacy mostly is a design choice. It's probably a combination of lack of imagination and creativity at WDI and management's fear that intimacy means greater budget. For example on Tokyo's new B and B ride, the thought process seems to be that it's easier and cheaper to design and decorate three big rooms than 15 small ones (and yes, I honestly do think they could have fit that many in the space they had). Cheaper, again, because it's less square footage to have to spend hours art designing and constructing (let's just put a large empty space in the middle! Done!). And easier because they didn't even really have to come up with anything for the three big rooms, they are just straight up copies of what happens in the movie. Blatant copying is supposed to show good effort? This may be an E-ticket, but why do I feel like it is both cheap and lazy?

Mouse Trap

Maybe I'm one of the few that is excited about this ride...I've been happy with what I've seen online and think it will be a nice fit in Disneyland. As for trackless, I think the tech has merit as we've seen with ROTR...but then it doesn't work as well for me with BATB.

I've enjoyed it every time I've been able to ride at HS. It's a bit quick, but I'm excited for it to be a little closer to home at Disneyland. It's nothing groundbreaking, but I find it a lot of fun.

lazyboy97o

I think the regulation is still clearance of three feet on each side of the vehicle. That's...not that big of a deal in terms of intimacy loss. Even many of the old Fantasyland dark rides probably already clear that pretty easily. Pushing sets back probably was part of the nickel and diming of all rides ("if we push it back another two feet, that's another 4 sq ft we don't have to decorate").

So the loss of intimacy mostly is a design choice. It's probably a combination of lack of imagination and creativity at WDI and management's fear that intimacy means greater budget. For example on Tokyo's new B and B ride, the thought process seems to be that it's easier and cheaper to design and decorate three big rooms than 15 small ones (and yes, I honestly do think they could have fit that many in the space they had). Cheaper, again, because it's less square footage to have to spend hours art designing and constructing (let's just put a large empty space in the middle! Done!). And easier because they didn't even really have to come up with anything for the three big rooms, they are just straight up copies of what happens in the movie. Blatant copying is supposed to show good effort? This may be an E-ticket, but why do I feel like it is both cheap and lazy?
The Fantasyland dark rides have the advantage of only needing egress clearance on one side of the vehicle. The true trackless vehicles need to have room for clearance regardless of where the vehicles stop. The big rooms aren’t necessarily cheaper but they allow for more tracklessness. Open space is more room to move the vehicles around, it allows for decisions to be delayed and constantly changed. In a lot of ways Disney’s (and Universal’s to a lesser extent) biggest problem is their inability to commit.

TP2000

Maybe I'm one of the few that is excited about this ride...I've been happy with what I've seen online and think it will be a nice fit in Disneyland. As for trackless, I think the tech has merit as we've seen with ROTR...but then it doesn't work as well for me with BATB.

You aren't the only one. I think this ride looks great! I just wish it had gone into DCA because that park needs more big family-friendly rides like this one. But it works perfectly in Toontown, even if Disneyland already has plenty of these types of family friendly rides.

Stevek

You aren't the only one. I think this ride looks great! I just wish it had gone into DCA because that park needs more big family-friendly rides like this one. But it works perfectly in Toontown, even if Disneyland already has plenty of these types of family friendly rides.
Agree it works perfect in Toontown...a ride featuring Mickey truly does belong in Disneyland IMO.

NateD1226

The initial plan was for it to go in the Monsters Inc ride and that general area. I don’t know why they didn’t go through with it. It was a perfect spot!

Anjin

The initial plan was for it to go in the Monsters Inc ride and that general area. I don’t know why they didn’t go through with it. It was a perfect spot!
The skuttlebutt is that it would have gone into the area freed up by moving the bus lanes to the Eastern Gateway. When the Eastern Gateway was shut down, so were any plans to deal with Hollywood Land.

TP2000

The skuttlebutt is that it would have gone into the area freed up by moving the bus lanes to the Eastern Gateway. When the Eastern Gateway was shut down, so were any plans to deal with Hollywood Land.

Agreed.

But I think it's a good time to remember just how far TDA has come, and how far DCA has come, that a giant and expensive family ride like this was even considered for DCA. 20 years ago the rides without height requirements that DCA got for families looked like this...

DCA5-079.jpg

SplashGhost

I would love for DCA to get a version of The Great Movie Ride, but I think it is highly unlikely. Even without all the cuts due to COVID, Disney just wasn't building AA heavy attractions like that anymore anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom