Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party 2019

KikoKea

Near the end of July, there were big ceramic pumpkins in front of a local grocery store here in SC. But, thing is that when the Halloween stuff comes out, people start buying it, so it works for retailers, I guess.

techgeek

It's not just the holidays either, seasonal stuff gets rotated out WAY too quickly at retail stores...to the point where you have to shop for it a season early. Disney takes the Halloween thing to ridiculous levels though. The parties shouldn't start before September.

We walked into the Uniqlo at the Springs earlier this week and half the store is currently fluffy winter jackets and sweaters. It can become a real challenge trying to buy a swimsuit in Florida anytime after June.

I always thought August was absurd for Halloween parties.

Villains0501

My only complaint about the fireworks is the princess music medley. Has no business being in a Halloween show.

Even if they just recycled the HM audio from "Remember...Dreams Come True" that would be an improvement.

Yes, thought that was very strange. I really don't want to hear "Beauty and the Beast" in a minor key. "Grim Grinning Ghosts" should dominate that section musically. I thought the Villain section was strange and a tad too short. I also don't think that was Pat Carroll's voice as Ursula. She's normally very game to voice anything involving the Sea Witch, so I hope her unavailability wasn't due to poor health. She is 92, though...

Disneylover152

Cause it does look like they used more pyro than HEA but that could be cause it's a shorter show ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I doubt this has more pyro than HEA. HEA has 16 minutes worth of fireworks in the 18 minute show. This show is 13 minutes and I’d say 2/3 of it has pyro. HEA definitely takes the cake. This doesn’t even come close to HEA. I’d say this show is relatable to Jingle Bell Jingle BAM! more than HEA.

IMDREW

A few of my thoughts while the show starts to grow on me;

When it started I was blown away and Jack’s entrance was to die for! But when it ended it felt a bit like; “that was it?”.

The show is absolutely beautiful with the fireworks, lights, projections, puppet and lasers. Imo they should have gone with Jack Skellington OR the fab 5. Now both feel like they are cut short because of the other.

I love that this team tries to include songs, characters and IP that Disney rarely uses like the Court of Miracles song and the Queen of Hearts. Weird they included a whole Oogie section with his big number in the Hocus Pocus show.. I’d rather have him replaced with another villain so the evening is a bit more evenly spread among them.

I do miss more Halloween songs though. Also, was the background music in the park changed this year? It felt much more modern and up beat and I missed songs like This Is Halloween for example.

One thing I also wished they included was the everybody scream! part that hallowishes had. It was such a fun, interactive and amazing moment in the evening.

The perimeter fireworks were beautifully designed into the show, but because of how they use them here it isn’t as grand and mindblowing as they were in HW.

A big miss for me was no mention of the Hauted Mansion in any way. I love the HM segment in the Celebrate Tokyo Disneyland show and expected something alike.

But it is growing on me and it was truly a beautiful nighttime spectacular.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading 😆. If someone finds a source audio, please let me know! ;)

AndyS2992

So... no one going to comment on the fact that Minnie had a new voice? Doesn't sound like Russi Taylor to me, I guess this was her replacement's first role, even though a new voice has not yet officially been announced. Given Minnie (who always speaks English at Disneyland Paris) now only speaks French in the new Paris shows, I'm sure Russi hadn't been recording any voices for a while.

Last edited:

mickeyfan5534

Fireworks were good not great. They just made some absolutely baffling choices. I'd have not have bothered with Jack. Maybe instead have live Mickey, Minnie, Donald, and Goofy do their thing at the start and end of the show before and after the house.

The music for the entire thing was a choice. This is Halloween felt lifeless and chaotic, the skeletons dancing I didn't mind but I didn't really like, the person who had the idea of the Princess medley should have been laughed out of the room when it was pitched, and the villain segment was full on impossible to comprehend. And there's really no Grim Grinning Ghosts?

The projections were really well done and I can say that using Cinderella Castle as the canvas and not just a surface to project on is something that MK has excelled at for a long time.

Frankly, the main body almost feels more like it was written to be a Hocus Pocus replacement and they decided to make it the fireworks instead and just decided to stick on an already written Jack prologue and epilogue for the show they actually planned on producing.

eddie104

Based on some of the comments I saw on here and twitter goes to show how much people like current Disney shows and barely want anything to change. Some may complain and call something outdated but I guess to them if isn’t broke don’t fix it.

pdude81

I know I'm about two pages late responding to this, but I'm pretty sure I bought an Oogie Boogie popcorn bucket at the first Halloween party last year. They only had them at a couple of the stands and you had to ask about them

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
My only complaint about the fireworks is the princess music medley. Has no business being in a Halloween show.

Even if they just recycled the HM audio from "Remember...Dreams Come True" that would be an improvement.

Thank you for bringing this up. Mickey and the gang go trick or treating and there is absolutely no tie in to the Disney Classic Attraction The Haunted Mansion (50 years old last week). No Ghost Host, No happy haunts, No creativity and imagination. Instead we get Hades and Ursula who have what exactly to do with Halloween?

I watched the video of it again, and of course I’ll reserve final judgment for when I see it next month, but my initial impression is lazy dull story and pyro/projections that are not as good as HEA.

Touchdown

Hades is the devil, Ursula is a witch both of which are classic Halloween Iconography, they are also villains which is appropriate. They should be in the show.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Hades is the devil, Ursula is a witch both of which are classic Halloween Iconography, they are also villains which is appropriate. They should be in the show.
I must have missed the Halloween scenes in Hercules and The Little Mermaid.

Crazydisneyfanluke

Based on some of the comments I saw on here and twitter goes to show how much people like current Disney shows and barely want anything to change. Some may complain and call something outdated but I guess to them if isn’t broke don’t fix it.

I dont mind them changing what they have to offer, as long as it's an upgrade from its predecessor.

My opinion is this is a down grade. Jack is supposed to tell a story, what is the story? Does it flow? Does it stay true to the narrative? Is it visually appealing? Does it sound appealing? Does it draw emotion? I say No.

Villains0501

I must have missed the Halloween scenes in Hercules and The Little Mermaid.

Or the Halloween scenes in the Haunted Mansion? Witches and scary villains and ghosts can all partake in MNSSHP. Don’t think too hard about it. The villains are a large reason why people attend these events, along with trick or treat trails, special merch, etc.

Disneylover152

Honestly when did Pirates become a Halloween thing, just in general? Like I know it’s been a long time but I don’t see how pirates evoke Halloween at all.

Also it feels like the Tomorrowland unit was supposed to be Monsters Inc, but before greenlite they changed it to Incredibles & Toy Story. Even the music is Monster Mash, just feels like it was supposed to be a Monsters Inc addition at one poimt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom