MiceAge on the latest news regarding MyMagic+ : Read it and weep.

dreamfinder

Yikes. That's some scary stuff. Seeing that DLR (who has had no problems spending money of late) is having to put spend on hold, means that WDW will truly do nothing beyond bandaid issues while they try to recoup the MM+ investment.

WDWDad13

I truly hope some of the things in that article are misinterpretations or may mean more things are on hold at Cali while they fix the mess in Orlando... but who knows. If they think putting everything on hold until magic bands start paying for themselves...well... we maybe waiting a awhile.

Don't get my wrong... I like the MyMagic+ idea... I just think they aren't being as realistic as they should be (kinda like the government is doing with the health care stuff right now... that's not a shot at any political person or party and please don't make this into a debate, etc. just making a comparison)

It seems odd though that this article states every project is on hold and yesterday we saw permits filed for Avatar work.

If Iger is just "mad" and trying to prove a point that's one thing... but the shareholders will sauté him with melted butter if they just keep sitting on their magical donkey bums and do nothing

Atomicmickey

Schadenfreude: a feeling of enjoyment that comes from seeing or hearing about the troubles of other people.

Well, good. All of us here have seen this train wreck coming for years, now, and the 'testing rollout'
has made it even worse. I'm a 'glass half full' guy who took a 'wait and see' approach to NextGen--could
it possibly be a positive thing, that we were knee-jerk reacting against? I try not to prejudge these
things--sometimes we the consumer don't know what we want until we have it.

But the rollout thus far has been disastrous, and as far as I'm concerned, all the naysayers had it right
this time. It's an unmitigated disaster. Nothing about it sounds good to fans or casual users. The problems
with the rollout are symptoms of the greater disease.

Meanwhile, up the road, the good news is at Universal. I still have to swallow hard to say that, and
whack the pixie dust out of my addled brain, but it's true. They are doing everything that I used to
love about what Disney did. Only Disney doesn't do it now.

And so it has come to this. So why the feeling of enjoyment? Perhaps this signals that our long
nightmare is ending. Not over, but the beginning of the end. It won't happen soon enough, and
may cause further damage. I'm just not ready to say that it's over, for good. Let them go through
their gyrations, let senior management flail and twist in the breeze. I'm taking the long view, this
too, shall pass. We've all been through this before, when Eisner was in his "Richard III" phase. It
was ugly. 'Save Disney'!

NextGen: Too Big to Fail? Let's hope not. Let it crash and burn. And out of the ashes, possibly,
a return to basics, to new attractions, to maintenance, to real guest service. It seems so
simple on the outside.

I can't say I clearly see that bright future. It's pretty far off, and the coals we are walking on are
still hot. Much heaving and buckling and wreckage to go through. But after watching this happen for a few years, it's not too much, I think, to take some pleasure in their misfortune, to wag our fingers and have a round of I-told-you-sos.

And hope, still. And dream, still.

And in the meantime, visit Hogwarts. Sounds really cool.

Thanks for nothing, Burbank. Keep fiddling . . .

jmb2676

Just finished reading this and now I'm depressed. Had a wonderful time on our trip to Disneyland in October and was planning a trip out to see some of the 60th. Guess there might not be many new things to see. Thanks alot MyMagic-...

Fox&Hound

Wow! This is sad. I just don't understand. Why did they ever think MM+ was a good idea? Yes, it gives data and can help disperse crowds. But do you know what else could help disperse crowds? Yup. More rides. Beef up AK, redo HS with Star Wars and Pixar properties, and add some new experiences to EPCOT. Change some night time shows (how long has reflections been the same?) and people will move accordingly. Sad sad sad.

devoy1701

I truly hope some of the things in that article are misinterpretations or may mean more things are on hold at Cali while they fix the mess in Orlando... but who knows. If they think putting everything on hold until magic bands start paying for themselves...well... we maybe waiting a awhile.

Don't get my wrong... I like the MyMagic+ idea... I just think they aren't being as realistic as they should be (kinda like the government is doing with the health care stuff right now... that's not a shot at any political person or party and please don't make this into a debate, etc. just making a comparison)

It seems odd though that this article states every project is on hold and yesterday we saw permits filed for Avatar work.

If Iger is just "mad" and trying to prove a point that's one thing... but the shareholders will sauté him with melted butter if they just keep sitting on their magical donkey bums and do nothing

I've been saying Iger is the problem now for the past 4 years. He's had some "luck" acquiring already successful companies (albeit at very steep costs) which most people have given Iger too much credit for. Anyone can make success acquisitions with pockets as deep as the Mouse. This is a perfect example of him not understanding the core business and what TWDC (and specifically P&R) should be focusing on. It's not a business of operating against the bottom line. Infrastructure should be updated along with additions to the theme park offerings. But infrastructure alone isn't going to bring you the ROI you're looking for, and he's a fool for being sold a grossly overestimated Bill of Goods on the MM+ initiative. Sounds like once again our resident insiders were right, and now all pf WD P&R is going to be feeling the repercussions.

If only somebody would have seen this coming!

Oh, wait.

If only... :cautious:

devoy1701

Schadenfreude: a feeling of enjoyment that comes from seeing or hearing about the troubles of other people.

Well, good. All of us here have seen this train wreck coming for years, now, and the 'testing rollout'
has made it even worse. I'm a 'glass half full' guy who took a 'wait and see' approach to NextGen--could
it possibly be a positive thing, that we were knee-jerk reacting against? I try not to prejudge these
things--sometimes we the consumer don't know what we want until we have it.

But the rollout thus far has been disastrous, and as far as I'm concerned, all the naysayers had it right
this time. It's an unmitigated disaster. Nothing about it sounds good to fans or casual users. The problems
with the rollout are symptoms of the greater disease.

Meanwhile, up the road, the good news is at Universal. I still have to swallow hard to say that, and
whack the pixie dust out of my addled brain, but it's true. They are doing everything that I used to
love about what Disney did. Only Disney doesn't do it now.

And so it has come to this. So why the feeling of enjoyment? Perhaps this signals that our long
nightmare is ending. Not over, but the beginning of the end. It won't happen soon enough, and
may cause further damage. I'm just not ready to say that it's over, for good. Let them go through
their gyrations, let senior management flail and twist in the breeze. I'm taking the long view, this
too, shall pass. We've all been through this before, when Eisner was in his "Richard III" phase. It
was ugly. 'Save Disney'!

NextGen: Too Big to Fail? Let's hope not. Let it crash and burn. And out of the ashes, possibly,
a return to basics, to new attractions, to maintenance, to real guest service. It seems so
simple on the outside.

I can't say I clearly see that bright future. It's pretty far off, and the coals we are walking on are
still hot. Much heaving and buckling and wreckage to go through. But after watching this happen for a few years, it's not too much, I think, to take some pleasure in their misfortune, to wag our fingers and have a round of I-told-you-sos.

And hope, still. And dream, still.

And in the meantime, visit Hogwarts. Sounds really cool.

Thanks for nothing, Burbank. Keep fiddling . . .

Except there aren't any Disney children left to "Save Disney"!

We might have to get Eisner and Stanley Gold to lead the charge this go around.

WDWDad13

What does this mean for Avatar and Disney Springs????

probably not much... I don't 100% fully buy everything in that article... considering Disney Springs is still being worked on and we're now seeing avatarland permits filed, etc.

Honestly... I can't seem to figure out how delaying needed projects in the American parks would help anything regardless of the issues with MM+

Iger just may be trying to make a statement... who knows

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom