MiceAge on the latest news regarding MyMagic+ : Read it and weep.

wdw71fan

I happen to know about this issue very well.. And it's not as bad as the article may have you believe... The article makes it sound like some sort of 'punishment'.. In fact, it's meant to be a shot-in-the-arm for the Shanghai project, as a '1970-esque' all hands on deck, that was felt to get WDW off the ground.. Couple that with the budgetary issues surrounding domestic spending, and it's a short term end-of-fiscal-year win-win...

Don't panic.

hellowonderland

Because of this thread (which I read 15 pages of before going to sleep last night), I had a dream that my MagicBand didn't work during our upcoming Dec trip and when I tried to enter the park, they directed me to what amounted to a holding cell with thousands of other guests, telling me it would only take "a few hours" to fix. Then they turned the key.

So, on one hand, this thread scared me, and then on the other, I think about how so many people saw this coming and how much I've loathed the idea of NextGen since what feels like the beginning of time and how all the warnings fell on deaf ears... and well...

251.gif

wdwfan4ver

So no Star Wars, Monstropolis, or any stuff worth note coming to Disney American Parks - I hope they realise the movement away from Disney parks is still going on especially with International visitors, and getting stronger every day. 2016 is going to be the best year Iger goes...
There could a person even worse than Iger being the CEO when Iger leaves the position.

The fact is Jay Rasulo could be the CEO of Disney when Iger leaves. Jay Rasulo is the person is responsible Mymagic plus, the original new fantasy land plans, and for J.K. Rowling turning down Disney's offer for theme park attractions.

The Harry potter blunder by Rasulo is huge. Jay decided to show a concept of Toy Story Midway Mania with a Harry Potter theme instead of the concept Tony Baxter had for Potter. By Jay's action, Harry Potter became a huge success for Universal and is the reason Universal is spending a lot of money each year in their theme parks.

The best thing you could hope for is Rasulo and the others involved in Mymgaic plus leaving before Bob Iger leaves.

BlueSkyDriveBy

Iger could threaten to have park ops completely shut down and contracted out to a company such as OLC.

Truthfully, I'm surprised that hasn't already happened. Complete cleansings have been done before in other corporations, and OLC has a stellar track record when it comes to balancing Disney quality with profitability. The Board should be chanting this mantra at the top of their collective lungs directly into the Rotunda office.

Watching this whole mess with NGE and the TragicBand fiasco reminds me of previous failed Disney launches, such as DL Splash Mountain and Test Track. As it was with those park offerings, Burbank has no alternative but to pour more money into the project in an effort to save corporate face. They will never recoup their losses via increased park guest revenue, but there's way too much ego at stake for Iger to cry uncle just yet.

If there's one thing we've learned over the decades about Disney leadership, humility has never been their strong suit. And it will be the ultimate undoing of P&R's top slot status in the theme park universe.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If there's one thing we've learned over the decades about Disney leadership, humility has never been their strong suit. And it will be the ultimate undoing of P&R's top slot status in the theme park universe.

I know fans adore OLC's theme parks... but if they truely are a business success (and not just a fan success)... why wouldn't the board look to recruit from OLC to run it's theme park divisions?

imagineer boy

I'm a military guy and believe very strongly in leading from the front. If you want to fix things, put the leaders where the problems are and strongly encourage them to change it. For example, during a busy season, require the head of transportation to stay at a distant resort with his/her family (All Stars/Animal Kingdom Lodge would do) and stay in the Magic Kingdom until about 30 minutes after Wishes begins...then they MUST leave. I think we would be amazed at how much better the bus situation would get.

Yeah, send them all there under the command of R. Lee Ermy.

"Alright ladies, any one of you scumbags who fails to follow my orders will ride that mattress stain left by your momma known as Stitch's Great Escape for five hours straight until the pain will be engraved by your miserable psyche. DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR!!?!?!?!?!?!"

"SIR, YES SIR!"

"BULLSH*IT I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

"SIR, YES SIIIIRRRR!!!!!!!!!!"

Lee

Adventurer
Exactly!!!!.....ATTRACTIONS ARE THEIR BUSINESS!!!
Actually, that isn't correct.
Attractions serve only to lure guests to what has become the real business....hotels and timeshares.

Think of it like TV. The actual shows exist only to get eyes tuned in to the revenue-generating commercials. The shows themselves, like attractions, are merely a necessary evil in this business model.

Last edited:

DisneyGentleman

The amount of b.s. that must have been shoveled at him by Mr. Rasulo and company might have been mind numbing for any that see the disaster that this all would pan out to be. Rasulo, Staggs, etc., clearly have ambition, or they wouldn't be in the positions that they are, and when you are, you'll do and say anything to sugarcoat, make yourself out to be doing a great job., etc.

I can't think of one example where a major IT infrastructure was injected into a big corporation and it worked. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). There is a reason all the success stories (Amazon, eBay, Apple, Microsoft, PayPal, etc.) are driven by young visionaries - it takes someone who understands these projects to make them work, and it takes strong leadership and vision to execute. What is the vision for NextGen? 11% more money a year?

"Rasulo joined The Walt Disney Company in 1986 as a director within Corporate Strategic Planning and later rose to senior vice president, where he led development for Disney's real estate-based businesses. After two years as a senior vice president of Corporate Alliances and three years with Disney Regional Entertainment, Rasulo became executive vice president of Euro Disney, which operates Disneyland Resort Paris. He served as president and chief operating officer before taking over as chairman and CEO of the French resort in 2000."

He knows nothing about huge IT projects. Neither do the folks behind the Obamacare fiasco.

One need only look back to Disney buying "go.com" to get into the internet business to realize how little they understand about the nuances of bring a major IT revolution into their industry.

Walt had the foresight to have industry giants like GE and RCA bring animatronics into his parks. Imagine if Google, Samsung, Amazon, and Apple had been brought-in to bring NextGen to life. We might have had something far more imaginative than a talking Mickey who says your name.

Managers count beans; visionaries change the world.

Piebald

I am not renewing my pass and getting a Universal one. My gf and I decided that until we decide to bring kids, there just isn't much to see and now more than ever the parks just seem way too busy. UO just seems like such a better option and it has so many new things coming.

fillerup

From an inside view, NextGen really is a disaster. So many things haven't worked as planned.

• Interactive queues - No further investments on changing queues. Either they are an operations nightmare or things break or things just aren't used thus not worth the money spent.
  • Gateless Turnstiles - In a perfect world, these do make it quicker and easier to get into the park, but everyone with old tickets has to wait in line to get new tickets which doesn't make people happy. On top of all that, during this year's party season they have realized that every single paper e-ticket for the Halloween & Christmas parties requires assistance from a Guest Relations cast member which is over half of the party visitors. As the article pointed out, during phase closing there isn't much preventing guests from storming the gates or lack there of.
  • Wi-Fi & Mobile Networks - WDW has had to create a wi-fi network equivalent to an entire cities worth of wi-fi hot spots. The problem is both mobile and wi-fi connections can be spotty and heavily overloaded resulting in slow connections and dead areas. On the plus side, this is improving greatly, but at a huge cost. Also all of those touch points are using a mobile or wifi connection. Even the grounded touch points are not hard wired.
  • Confusion & Learning Curve - As with any new system, there is going to be a learning curve, but many cast are finding out that guests don't want to necessarily learn. They want someone else to do it for them or for it to magically happen. Some guests aren't customizing their MyDisneyExperience accounts or their MagicBands. Guests are entering the park with no Fastpass choices selected and no knowledge of how to do so. The ones that do are having trouble navigating the app or learning how it works. You think the guest complains for Stitch's Great Escape are bad, this is much worse.
  • Lack of Help - Need help with your Fastpass+ selections, simply visit a kiosk. :banghead: 4 kiosks at Magic Kingdom with Frontierland and Tomorrowland not currently having one. Guests are coming up to legacy FP kiosk to get FP and can't with a MagicBand. They either don't speak English, don't have a smartphone, or can't seem to get the app to work. So they have to walk all the way to a kiosk on the other side of the land to get help. Only a hand full of cast seem to know exactly how it works too. That's because Disney hasn't rolled out the experience to cast members. They all haven't experienced it themselves or had time to work through the system as a guest.
  • Technical Difficulties - Want to change your FP+ reservation to an earlier time that is maybe 30 mins from now! Sure! Good luck having it read correctly when you show up. Parties are showing up with screenshots of their selections to have to prove they made their choices. Some members of the party have a FP and others have issues. Extra Magic Hours over the past two weeks has been a nightmare too. New devices are supposed to read each MagicBand, but instead the batteries are dying, the apps are freezing, and it works when it feels like it.
  • Slowing Things Down - While MyMagic+ has made things quicker to enter the park (in general) and quicker to pay (in general), it has really slowed down operations. First we now have FP+ installed at attractions that never had it resulting in growing standby lines. The average time to get a family of 4 in through a Fastpass Return point with paper tickets is maybe a second or two. The average time to get family of 4 through with MagicBands for FP+ is about 10 seconds (in general). You can see it this holiday season already, there are lines to get into the Fastpass queues resulting in some situations where there is FP line outside of the return point, but not one inside. God forbid, guests have troubles at the touch points. In fact, DAS has be the least of operations' nightmares since it has been rolled out. FP+ is the major problem with guests getting upset.
  • Poor Choices & Feeling Tricked- The choices for guests using FP+ are terrible. At two of the four parks, guests can only pick one headliner attraction and then are forced to use their remain 2 FP+ choices on trivial selections some of which are a complete joke. Guests are also discovering this, especially first time visitors. Sure Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, Journey into Imagination, American Idol Experience, and its tough to be a bug are all attractions a first time visitor might want to enjoy, but on a typical visit (not peak capacity), these attractions don't hardly have waits. Guests use their FP+ and realize it wasn't needed and think they wasted their FP+ choice, which they did. Again the problem is that they really didn't have any other choice. Limiting it to three is also making guests quite angry. They are seeing non-MagicBand guests walk up to kiosk to get FP how they want and multiple headline attractions sometimes exceeding three in a day and they realize they can't do that. They don't care that they can book ahead or do it on their smartphone. That doesn't matter once they are in the park and see the wait times. Let's be honest, adding FP+ was an terrible idea, especially when many attractions were hardly using or removing legacy FP such as Haunted Mansion, Stitch's Great Escape, Mission:Space, LIghts Motors Action, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, MuppetVision3D, Captain EO, and its tough to be a bug.
Overall, MyMagic+ and NextGen has been awful. Either the roll out was too slow or it has been too fast. It is now at the point that they can't go back easily and the problem is that they are suffering from so many issues that the guest experience is suffering. The frontline Cast Members have seen it all along, but it is just now trickling up. I'm pretty unhappy about it all. It's pathetic when WDW fans get excited for new restrooms or free poster give aways when down the road they are offering new lands and new attractions. :grumpy:

Well - this pretty much covers it.

Cesar R M

I played around with the numbers a few months ago and with a $2 billion price tag, found that it would take a 12-13% increase in food and merch revenues to break even in five years. How they could ever accomplish that much of an increase in ways that are directly attributable to MM+ is beyond me.
they clearly are chocking on the pixie dust hah!

From an inside view, NextGen really is a disaster. So many things haven't worked as planned.

• Interactive queues - No further investments on changing queues. Either they are an operations nightmare or things break or things just aren't used thus not worth the money spent.
  • Gateless Turnstiles - In a perfect world, these do make it quicker and easier to get into the park, but everyone with old tickets has to wait in line to get new tickets which doesn't make people happy. On top of all that, during this year's party season they have realized that every single paper e-ticket for the Halloween & Christmas parties requires assistance from a Guest Relations cast member which is over half of the party visitors. As the article pointed out, during phase closing there isn't much preventing guests from storming the gates or lack there of.
  • Wi-Fi & Mobile Networks - WDW has had to create a wi-fi network equivalent to an entire cities worth of wi-fi hot spots. The problem is both mobile and wi-fi connections can be spotty and heavily overloaded resulting in slow connections and dead areas. On the plus side, this is improving greatly, but at a huge cost. Also all of those touch points are using a mobile or wifi connection. Even the grounded touch points are not hard wired.
  • Confusion & Learning Curve - As with any new system, there is going to be a learning curve, but many cast are finding out that guests don't want to necessarily learn. They want someone else to do it for them or for it to magically happen. Some guests aren't customizing their MyDisneyExperience accounts or their MagicBands. Guests are entering the park with no Fastpass choices selected and no knowledge of how to do so. The ones that do are having trouble navigating the app or learning how it works. You think the guest complains for Stitch's Great Escape are bad, this is much worse.
  • Lack of Help - Need help with your Fastpass+ selections, simply visit a kiosk. :banghead: 4 kiosks at Magic Kingdom with Frontierland and Tomorrowland not currently having one. Guests are coming up to legacy FP kiosk to get FP and can't with a MagicBand. They either don't speak English, don't have a smartphone, or can't seem to get the app to work. So they have to walk all the way to a kiosk on the other side of the land to get help. Only a hand full of cast seem to know exactly how it works too. That's because Disney hasn't rolled out the experience to cast members. They all haven't experienced it themselves or had time to work through the system as a guest.
  • Technical Difficulties - Want to change your FP+ reservation to an earlier time that is maybe 30 mins from now! Sure! Good luck having it read correctly when you show up. Parties are showing up with screenshots of their selections to have to prove they made their choices. Some members of the party have a FP and others have issues. Extra Magic Hours over the past two weeks has been a nightmare too. New devices are supposed to read each MagicBand, but instead the batteries are dying, the apps are freezing, and it works when it feels like it.
  • Slowing Things Down - While MyMagic+ has made things quicker to enter the park (in general) and quicker to pay (in general), it has really slowed down operations. First we now have FP+ installed at attractions that never had it resulting in growing standby lines. The average time to get a family of 4 in through a Fastpass Return point with paper tickets is maybe a second or two. The average time to get family of 4 through with MagicBands for FP+ is about 10 seconds (in general). You can see it this holiday season already, there are lines to get into the Fastpass queues resulting in some situations where there is FP line outside of the return point, but not one inside. God forbid, guests have troubles at the touch points. In fact, DAS has be the least of operations' nightmares since it has been rolled out. FP+ is the major problem with guests getting upset.
  • Poor Choices & Feeling Tricked- The choices for guests using FP+ are terrible. At two of the four parks, guests can only pick one headliner attraction and then are forced to use their remain 2 FP+ choices on trivial selections some of which are a complete joke. Guests are also discovering this, especially first time visitors. Sure Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, Journey into Imagination, American Idol Experience, and its tough to be a bug are all attractions a first time visitor might want to enjoy, but on a typical visit (not peak capacity), these attractions don't hardly have waits. Guests use their FP+ and realize it wasn't needed and think they wasted their FP+ choice, which they did. Again the problem is that they really didn't have any other choice. Limiting it to three is also making guests quite angry. They are seeing non-MagicBand guests walk up to kiosk to get FP how they want and multiple headline attractions sometimes exceeding three in a day and they realize they can't do that. They don't care that they can book ahead or do it on their smartphone. That doesn't matter once they are in the park and see the wait times. Let's be honest, adding FP+ was an terrible idea, especially when many attractions were hardly using or removing legacy FP such as Haunted Mansion, Stitch's Great Escape, Mission:Space, LIghts Motors Action, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, MuppetVision3D, Captain EO, and its tough to be a bug.
Overall, MyMagic+ and NextGen has been awful. Either the roll out was too slow or it has been too fast. It is now at the point that they can't go back easily and the problem is that they are suffering from so many issues that the guest experience is suffering. The frontline Cast Members have seen it all along, but it is just now trickling up. I'm pretty unhappy about it all. It's pathetic when WDW fans get excited for new restrooms or free poster give aways when down the road they are offering new lands and new attractions. :grumpy:

best analysis ever!

devoy1701

Very nice recap.

Disneyhead'71

i.e., every person on this board. The argument seems to come down to what amount of money is acceptable, and what amount makes one part of the problem. It's the pixie dust curve!
I have given WDW $37.33 in the past 3 years (I had to try the pork shank and LaFrou's Brew). And I suspect that is the last they will get from me in quite a while.

BlueSkyDriveBy

I know fans adore OLC's theme parks... but if they truely are a business success (and not just a fan success)... why wouldn't the board look to recruit from OLC to run it's theme park divisions?
It's a combination of the whole humility lacking issue and OLC's belief in higher CAPEX.

I firmly believe that Burbank has conned themselves into thinking that the Japanese demographic for theme park attendees is wholly different than the one here in the states (i.e., more gullible and hence, more eager to spend their hard earned yen), thereby pinning the success of the Japanese parks fully on the customers, not the managers.

While that is certainly a part of the equation, it's not the only part, nor the most important. OLC maintains quality throughout their properties and prides itself on their efforts. They're not afraid to spend a little bit more to keep that quality, which in turn, keeps their parks and resorts at near capacity. Burbank is still hyperfocused on the bottom line and doesn't see the need to invest as much in the American parks, even if doing so pushes quality down a slow long-term slide.

There may come a day when Burbank will be forced to turn over P&R operations to OLC, but I don't see that day dawning anytime soon. Perhaps when NGE/TragicBand hits the $3 BILLION mark without that golden 15% increase in park visitor spending, they'll reconsider the option. But until then, they'll keep their collective heads firmly wedged you-know-where where the sun doesn't you-know-what.

71jason

Wait. 11%?!?!? Are you kidding me?!? Where did they come up with that?

Holy crap that so funny/sad

I can only come up with two theories:

(1) They truly are delusional. (Not being deliberately snarky, I mean The Powers That Be behind this have no idea how theme parks work in the real world). I could see this being the case.

(2) Plans to monetize the system were in place all along, just played close to the vest so they wouldn't leak out places like here. Some sort of pay-to-use system--deluxe resort based, straight purchase like Universal, probably both--and the realization has hit that they can't sell something this unreliable ... yet. My guess is this is the real story.

asianway

I happen to know about this issue very well.. And it's not as bad as the article may have you believe... The article makes it sound like some sort of 'punishment'.. In fact, it's meant to be a shot-in-the-arm for the Shanghai project, as a '1970-esque' all hands on deck, that was felt to get WDW off the ground.. Couple that with the budgetary issues surrounding domestic spending, and it's a short term end-of-fiscal-year win-win...

Don't panic.
Fiscal year is over, we are at the beginning of the next year. This is to goose the Q1 numbers and keep the stock bubble inflated - except you can only do these tricks so long

Disneyhead'71

Don't speak for everyone. The second I noticed a real decline in quality and lack of new attractions I stopped going immediately and haven't been back since. Im sure plenty of others have done the same and now take their theme park dollars elsewhere.
I only go when I can get in for free (Comped in by CM friends or Media Tix).

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's a combination of the whole humility lacking issue and OLC's belief in higher CAPEX.

I firmly believe that Burbank has conned themselves into thinking that the Japanese demographic for theme park attendees is wholly different than the one here in the states (i.e., more gullible and hence, more eager to spend their hard earned yen), thereby pinning the success of the Japanese parks fully on the customers, not the managers.

Wouldn't more gullible customers mean less effort to get their money? That seems counter to their mindset of spending more.. or do the TWDC see that as 'double waste'?

While that is certainly a part of the equation, it's not the only part, nor the most important. OLC maintains quality throughout their properties and prides itself on their efforts. They're not afraid to spend a little bit more to keep that quality, which in turn, keeps their parks and resorts at near capacity. Burbank is still hyperfocused on the bottom line and doesn't see the need to invest as much in the American parks, even if doing so pushes quality down a slow long-term slide.

But that was kind of my 'business success' question. Do they still end up with good margin even tho they spend more? Or do they accept a lower margin than what P&R expects from the parks?

71jason

Personally, I find it hard to believe that they would do that if the resort is collectively "hurting" as much as insiders say. If attendence and guest spending is down and MM+ isn't helping, is the executive attitude simply going to be "well, we aren't going to spend any more money there"? Or is it going to be "this isn't working, we should try something different, like building a new land with new attractions like we did successfully in DCA"?

Hypothetical: you run a very successful, very profitable nightclub district. You shut it down to lease the now closed buildings out to third party tenants. After a year, no potential tenants show any interest in what you have to offer. Do you (a) re-open the clubs in the still-standing building with the staff you still have mostly employed elsewhere and pocket the money? Or (b) demolish a couple of the buildings and double-down on your plan to attract third-party tenants, still losing money every day?

Much like politics, high-level corporate jobs attract a certain narcissistic personality. These are not people who like to admit to making mistakes--I dare say they have a psychological condition that prevents them from doing so.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom