MGM Studios Hat

ToTBellHop

I wish they'd move it, too. It just realistically, they can't. They could replace it, but something has to be there right now.
and they aren't going to remove it to replace it with something else. Realistically, we'll have to at least wait until there is a major reworking of the Great Movie Ride.

EPCOT.nut

Yeah it is kind of jumbled up where it is. I'm not a really big MGM fan (gasp!) so whatever! =) They can put the wand there, for all I care. MGM and AK were both built during my "lean years" (think really poor) and I just didn't get to visit them until early/mid 2000s. So they just aren't so danged important to me.

sandicinderelli

Now seeing a picture of the theatre by itself makes me like the hat even more. Especially since I absolutely LOVE Fantasmic! The hat makes since to me. The Chinese Theatre, although creates a good line of sight for the street, throws me off a little bit. I like the fact that Imagineers thought about the "magic" aspect when they decided on the hat. That should never be compromised.

Baums101

Now that the wand is about to fall at epcot, anyone got a opinion on the studios sorceror hat. Should it go also or stay. I personally like it, but hate that it totally blocks the great movie ride (chinese theatre replica). And your not telling me siemens didn't have disney take that wand down. They probably told them it gotta go or no more funding. that thing when it was built, was built to stay. just my two cents for what its worth. Just wondering whats everyones opinion on the hat at the Studios now.
First off no way are they getting rid of the hat. Its the symbol of MGM. Second I would be agrivated because in my opinion it looks beautiful.

Mansion Butler

Now seeing a picture of the theatre by itself makes me like the hat even more. Especially since I absolutely LOVE Fantasmic! The hat makes since to me. The Chinese Theatre, although creates a good line of sight for the street, throws me off a little bit. I like the fact that Imagineers thought about the "magic" aspect when they decided on the hat. That should never be compromised.

But good taste, scale and theming should be?

Mansion Butler

First off no way are they getting rid of the hat. Its the symbol of MGM.

Wait. . . are you really gonna back up that logic? You think Disney wouldn't eliminate or tamper with their symbols? Would you actually be surprised if the earful tower was taken out?

I don't think the hat's going anywhere, either, but I think that's a silly reason.

Dragonrider1227

It doesn't bother me and wouldn't bother me if it stayed
1. didn't the 1940s Hollywood Disney is trying to recreate have a cafe building shaped like a giant derby hat? Granted, it wasn't right smack in the middle of the street of in front of the Chinese theater, but the point still stands
2. You want to talk about objects that ruin themes, how about that giant castle at the end of Main St. in MK? I don't see anyone complaining that a 189 ft. French castle "ruins" the theme of a turn of the century America, or the giant mountain in Disneyland that can be seen from Main St.? Makes ya think ;)

Mansion Butler

It doesn't bother me and wouldn't bother me if it stayed
1. didn't the 1940s Hollywood Disney is trying to recreate have a cafe building shaped like a giant derby hat? Granted, it wasn't right smack in the middle of the street of in front of the Chinese theater, but the point still stands

And what's the point?

2. You want to talk about objects that ruin themes, how about that giant castle at the end of Main St. in MK? I don't see anyone complaining that a 189 ft. French castle "ruins" the theme of a turn of the century America, or the giant mountain in Disneyland that can be seen from Main St.? Makes ya think ;)

Because it's a transition from a nostalgic setting to a fantastical setting. MK has transitions, and the Castle is situated as the overseeing building of all these settings. If the castle were abruptly placed in the middle of turn-of-the-century architecture, you'd have a point. It's not.

The hat is abruptly in the middle of romantic Hollywood. And the perspective doesn't work to where it seems like it's far in the distance, beyond the street you're on, like the castle. It's right there, crowding the end of the street.

With the mountains, you see them in the distance. They ARE out of place from where you're standing, but they're also not right where you're standing. They're off in the distance, and their unusuality draws you (weenie) towards them. On the way, you go through a transition so you're taken into the world where they're appropriate.

It's the weenie concept. The hat doesn't fit it. You don't ever get taken into a place where it fits right. It's just there.

jcldtrek

Original Poster
don't forget that the castle is the gateway to fantasy land, as the hat is in the middle of old hollywood theme area.

Mansion Butler

don't forget that the castle is the gateway to fantasy land, as the hat is in the middle of old hollywood theme area.

Right. If the hat were a gateway to something more fitting (which is possible), it would be a big improvement. It's still an architectural flaw for such a thing, but it wouldn't be head-scratchingly out of place.

ToTBellHop

Color me crazy, but I just hate that the icon for a theme park is just a big ol' out of place pin shop :shrug:
Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland is a big ol' um...walkway. The Earffel Tower was a big ol'...nothing. Don't even get me started on the Sun Icon at DCA. It isn't even impressive. Why they didn't just call Grizzly Peak the icon is beyond me...it's in the logo.

cymbaldiva

I've never been to Disneyland, so I'll have to take your word on those.

As far as the Earful Tower, you're right of course about it not doing anything - and it does nothing quite well. It's nice and quiet and doesn't interrupt my view! :lol:

imagineer boy

Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland is a big ol' um...walkway. The Earffel Tower was a big ol'...nothing. Don't even get me started on the Sun Icon at DCA. It isn't even impressive. Why they didn't just call Grizzly Peak the icon is beyond me...it's in the logo.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that Grizzly Peak is the icon. Its on all of the park logos.

As for the earful tower, a big ol' nothing is better than a pin shop anyday IMO.

ToTBellHop

Actually, I'm pretty sure that Grizzly Peak is the icon. Its on all of the park logos.

As for the earful tower, a big ol' nothing is better than a pin shop anyday IMO.
the sun icon is called the sun icon for a reason. You are correct on the logos, however. I'm pretty sure plans call for the sun icon to be removed in the near future, though, making Grizzly Peak the official icon I guess. The sun icon better ties together the park (what does Grizzly Peak have to do with Paradise Pier?), but it's just not at all impressive. Should've been about 100 feet taller. It's similar to DisneySea's "icon", which I also don't really approve of.

Texas84

The hat ruins the whole entrance experience. It says we're blocking the theater so we can sell more pins. Like that is even an issue. Put it on top of a building over in the animation area.

SDav10495

I like the hat. My kids are growning up with it. It's staying!

Oy, there's that logic again...heard so many times in the wand threads. :hammer:

You might be joking for all I know, but a lot of folks on the boards who say the same thing are serious...which drives me nuts. I'm sure your kids are adorable, but why are their childhood memories more important than mine? What if I grew up with the excitement of seeing the Chinese Theater at the end of the boulevard? What if I grew up with a wandless Spaceship Earth? What if those things were my childhood magic? (I did, and they are, by the way.) Look parents, when you post how much your kids love things like the wand and the hat and how much they'd hate to see them go, no one feels more for them than I do...because the park icons I loved were messed with, too.

In this case, for a pin kiosk.

And no, I wasn't thrilled about it either. :rolleyes:

ToTBellHop

Oy, there's that logic again...heard so many times in the wand threads. :hammer:

You might be joking for all I know, but a lot of folks on the boards who say the same thing are serious...which drives me nuts. I'm sure your kids are adorable, but why are their childhood memories more important than mine? What if I grew up with the excitement of seeing the Chinese Theater at the end of the boulevard? What if I grew up with a wandless Spaceship Earth? What if those things were my childhood magic? (I did, and they are, by the way.) Look parents, when you post how much your kids love things like the wand and the hat and how much they'd hate to see them go, no one feels more for them than I do...because the park icons I loved were messed with, too.

In this case, for a pin kiosk.

And no, I wasn't thrilled about it either. :rolleyes:
however, you are an adult and understand that the magic is constructed. Kids don't understand that, and think all of the magic is real. If you go to Epcot in October and see the Wandless SSE, you'll know that it was simply removed in favor of a more aesthetic look. A child might wonder what happened to Mickey.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom