MGM Studios Hat

sanctumsolitude

I think putting the icon out at the entry plaza would have been the best solution, but cest la vie.

That sounds familiar! :p

Yea, I totally agree. The entrance plaza would have been the perfect place for it. Still the icon. Still prominent. Doesn't block the beautiful Chinese theater.

landauh

The hat is going to be refurbished in place and then moved to the front of the park so that the Chinese theater is seen once a guest enters.

Enigma

Account Suspended
The hat is terrible. Disney please tear it down! It just represents everything wrong with the Walt Disney company under Eisner...cheap marketing schemes and trying to push merchandise in peoples faces!

Epcot82Guy

I actually would move the Earful tower to the front of the park entrance.

And, I realize the theater was never the icon. It was simply placed where the icon should go. So, ispo facto. Plus, like the name, Disney never intended MGM to be the name, but I bet 90% of guests call it MGM and would have originally considered the theater the icon.

Mr Bill

The placement was 100% intentional, part of the reasoning for the hat was so that it WOULD block the Chinese Theater. This had to do with legal disputes with the owner's the actual Theater.

sanctumsolitude

The placement was 100% intentional, part of the reasoning for the hat was so that it WOULD block the Chinese Theater. This had to do with legal disputes with the owner's the actual Theater.

If there was a legal dispute, it would have been because the building was seen by some as the icon of the park. After all, it still exists unchanged since the hat moved in. I seriously doubt the legal dispute was because it was visible from the front of the park.

The hat in a different location could have served the same purpose - especially with the amount of merchandise featuring the hat.

CoffeeJedi

I seriously doubt the legal dispute was because it was visible from the front of the park.
Yeah, my understanding is that they lost the rights to display the image of the theater in various media, so they have to cover it up for photos and commercials that don't relate directly to the Great Movie Ride.

WeLComeHomE OKW

the first person with some actual logic in this thread. sit down little kiddies, uncle garrett has a story to tell.

It began when Mann was bought out by paramount and warner brothers and then they ownedGraumans Chinese theater, and the original contract between Mann and Disney was done. When newly owned Mann's went into negotiations with Disney, they made a few things very clear.

a) the Chinese theater at mgm cannot be the icon, because its "their thing". and Disney cant use their own icon.

b) disney cannot put in celebrities hand prints in front of the theater anymore, cuz again, thats "their thing".

so, basically, mann (but really paramount and warner bros.) was all like "yo! disnaaayyy!! why you stealin all our stuff? we're in the tourism business too, plaayaa!!" So, Mann let them keep the theater there...but without all the pizazz and publicity. (p.s., when they refurbished the theater, they came to mgm studios to make sure they had all the details right)

So, since they couldnt use the Chinese Theater as the icon, they needed to make a new one...thus, the hat was born.

Like it or hate it...it isnt going anywhere until the chinese theater goes somewhere or they re-negotiate the contract.

sanctumsolitude

It began when Mann bought out Graumans Chinese theater, and the original contract between graumans and Disney was done. When Mann's went into negotiations with Disney, they made a few things very clear.

Mann? I think you mean Warner Bros/Paramount... right?

And again, how would moving the hat to the front of the park not fulfill their requirements for a different icon?

PintoColvig

I'm with some of the others on this thread. It's perfectly fine as an icon but the location stinks. I prefer it to be placed at the front of the park.

WeLComeHomE OKW

Mann? I think you mean Warner Bros/Paramount... right?

And again, how would moving the hat to the front of the park not fulfill their requirements for a different icon?

lol, i changed it to that before you even replied...which is kinda funny.

Disney has a couple of imagineering rules when it comes to "how to create a successful 'weenie'"

they need to see it as a center point, so they always know how to reach various locations of the park. so, if they look over from star tours and see tower of terror...they will say ' lets just go over there to ride rockn rollar coaster and tower of terror.' or 'oh, thats where fantasmic is'. when they see the big blue hat, it is an easy way to remember how to get out, or how to get from point a to point b. also, when someone enters the park, it gives them something to get to. the park isnt letting everything out all at once. they slowly let it out as you enter. just like the magic kingdom. the castle is there to act as the hub and each land has its own weenie, so its really easy to get around.

if it was at the front, a)it would block everything else and b) it would be pointless as a navigator because 'the front of the park' is already good enough, and its stupid to have two at the same location. c) when the parks icon is at the front of the park, the park itself has nothing to build up to. they enter and its just WHAM right in your face. It kinda leaves little else to be desired. EPCOT is an exception because its kindof a two area park. The world showcase and future world are really two different entities, and each needs its own hub. Once you exit Spaceship earth you are in the middle of futureworld which leads you to everything you need to do. So, the 'weenie' idea still works. it is just applied differently in epcot. since MGM is like Magic Kingdom(having a main street to lead into the main area of the park), it really needs its weenie to be in the middle.

examples of weenies in magic kingdom:
space mountain, Cinderellas castle, splash mountain, etc...

examples of weenies in MGM:
big blue hat (used to be chinese theater), tower of terror, water tower, etc...

examples of weenies in Animal Kingdom:
tree of life, expedition everest, etc...

examples of weenies in EPCOT:
Spaceship Earth....any others?

worthog352

yea...who ever decided to put it there is a dummy...but im okay with it......if they decide to move it though....i think they should reconsider and brainstom for more "icon" ideas becides that hat

sanctumsolitude

lol, i changed it to that before you even replied...which is kinda funny.

Disney has a couple of imagineering rules when it comes to "how to create a successful 'weenie'"

they need to see it as a center point, so they always know how to reach various locations of the park. so, if they look over from star tours and see tower of terror...they will say ' lets just go over there to ride rockn rollar coaster and tower of terror.' or 'oh, thats where fantasmic is'. when they see the big blue hat, it is an easy way to remember how to get out, or how to get from point a to point b. also, when someone enters the park, it gives them something to get to. the park isnt letting everything out all at once. they slowly let it out as you enter. just like the magic kingdom. the castle is there to act as the hub and each land has its own weenie, so its really easy to get around.

if it was at the front, a)it would block everything else and b) it would be pointless as a navigator because 'the front of the park' is already good enough, and its stupid to have two at the same location. c) when the parks icon is at the front of the park, the park itself has nothing to build up to. they enter and its just WHAM right in your face. It kinda leaves little else to be desired. EPCOT is an exception because its kindof a two area park. The world showcase and future world are really two different entities, and each needs its own hub. Once you exit Spaceship earth you are in the middle of futureworld which leads you to everything you need to do. So, the 'weenie' idea still works. it is just applied differently in epcot. since MGM is like Magic Kingdom(having a main street to lead into the main area of the park), it really needs its weenie to be in the middle.

My response was on a different page so I didn't even notice that. Props for the ninja edit! :p

Tokyo Disneysea's icon is at the front of the park, but they have a weenie in the middle. The theater would still be a weenie, but the hat would be the icon. Get what I am trying to say?

edit: Note to self, respond slower... :p

brucie

I don't love the hat, but i don't hate it. I think there should be something. The 3 other parks have great center pieces but i think the hat is lacking, there should be something but I'm not sure the hat is it!!

ToTBellHop

the reason you need the Hat where it is and not at the entrance is because Disney likes to show images looking down Hollywood Blvd. to promote the park, and they also like to take pictures of guests as they enter the park (the best time to do this, as guests are both full of energy and getting oriented to the park, and therefore willing to stop). They can't do either of these things with the Chinese Theatre as the backdrop. What would they show off at MGM during the Christmas parade (a HUGE marketing event for Disney)? The Tower of Terror would get pretty old...and images with the parades are much better facing south as opposed to looking at the nothingness at the entrance. I'm sorry to say the Mickey lightning rod is just not impressive on tv.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom