MGM No More

lebeau

Original Poster
ky102005h.jpg

SpenceMan01

Wow. Are you sure it's not just still under construction and the MGM reference will return??

I'm also surprised Disney is leaving that in plainsight.

napnet

The blue walls are still up so they are probably going to install a new one. If they were going to change it there i would suspect it would be changed on road signs as well. A cleaned up sign will probably be back soon.

EpcotGrl

Holy cow!! So I guess it's really the Disney Studios now, hmm? I'm rather surprised they didn't wait 'til after hours to do that, but I imagine it's difficult to work on a sign in the dark :p

Thanks for the update :)

goofyfan13

Yea, I highly doubt they'll leave it like that, even if the MGM name was dropped, you would think they would at least put something like, "Disney Studios" up there...

DisneyJill

Cut them a little slack...It's kind of tall to be able to cover the whole thing. They'll fix it and it will be better and all will be well again. :p

SpenceMan01

DisneyJill said:
Cut them a little slack...It's kind of tall to be able to cover the whole thing.

IIRC they've covered the whole thing in the past. Heck, they covered Sleeping Beauty Castle @ DL, they can cover that.

PBarton

Wow, I have never noticed that Mickey over by the animation tour (r.i.p.) building! I must walk around with my eyes closed!:hammer:

CTXRover

They have been working on refurbishing the arch since the end of August when the scaffolding first went up. Up until this last weekend, scaffolding and tarps WERE still up blocking anybody's sight of the construction. I'm not sure when that pic was taken, but it was probably relatively recently.

The arch is a bit different than before the rehab indicating a lot of work was done beyond just removing the sign and painting. The green tiles used to go all the way around the opening of the arch. During the rehab all of the tiles were removed. They now appear to only go up about 3/4 of the way up the arch. Notice the "trim" has been placed on the left hand-side, but not the right hand side yet indicating its not 100% done yet.

The arch is still under construction but since the tarps and scaffolding have come down its probably almost done. Either the old MGM sign will be re-installed, or a new one should takes its place very soon. The brackets seen are probably to hold the new sign with the MGM logo or not. This is not recent "bad show" or anything to get excited over. The sign and arch have been under rehab for almost a month and a half now.

For those interested, take a look at the construction progress at http://www.mousetimes.com/gallery/index.php?cat=88 and compare the "new" arch to the "old" arch.

DisneyJill

SpenceMan01 said:
IIRC they've covered the whole thing in the past. Heck, they covered Sleeping Beauty Castle @ DL, they can cover that.

It was my impression that they wanted the castle to be unveiled all at once and they didn't want people seeing it in phases-that's why they would cover the whole thing.

I'm just saying-it's not really that big of a deal. It's not the first sign ever to be replaced. I think people are a little hard on Disney sometimes-contrary to what we want to believe, they don't have a magic wand that they wave to fix everything asap. Maybe they ordered a replacement sign and they boarded the arch up and then found out the sign was on backorder or something. Stuff happens. *shrugs*

:)

CTXRover

Looking at that picture carefully, I'm not convinced the MGM sign won't be coming back. As I said above, the arch has been under an extensive rehab over the past month and a half complete with new tiles and painting scheme. If they were not planning on putting up a similar sign, the brakets/holes would have been re-done at this time, no question.

However, looking carefully at that pic in this thread, it matches the placement of the old sign almost perfectly. There is definetely the holes for the STUDIOS letters and the brackets/holes form a pattern that would hold the old Disney-MGM title line and the Lion logo above it. Its still premature to say MGM is no more even though the contract with them has supposedly ended. But who knows, a new sign referencing WDSF may have been made to fit right into the old signs brackets.

peter11435

Everyone needs to calm down a bit. This is not an example of bad show, but rather just construction. It is no worse than seeing Everest under construction, just give them time. While they did change the design of the arch a bit (like the green tiles) the holes and brackets all seem to be lined up the same as the old sign. Time will tell I guess.

MickeyTigg

Granted...but it's still "bad show". Walt would never have allowed that to happen. The thing of it is...what was the point of leaving it uncovered in broad daylight it the first place?

Regardless of what's going to happen with the name...this still looks very bad.

I'm shocked by the complacency of people on this topic. At Disney, we shouldn't expect to see things like this.

This is a big deal...what's next bringing down the Indy Amphitheater with a wrecking ball in the middle of the day?

:eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom