MGM No More

peter11435

TiggerRPh said:
Granted...but it's still "bad show". Walt would never have allowed that to happen. The thing of it is...what was the point of leaving it uncovered in broad daylight it the first place?

Regardless of what's going to happen with the name...this still looks very bad.

I'm shocked by the complacency of people on this topic. At Disney, we shouldn't expect to see things like this.

This is a big deal...what's next bringing down the Indy Amphitheater with a wrecking ball in the middle of the day?

:eek:
Are you kidding me. So your saying Walt would not have allowed construction in his park. The fact is it IS NOT bad show, it is called construction and unavoidable step towards progress (something Walt was very fond of). May I point out that Walt made no attempt to hide this very large and very ugly construction site from guests in the late 1950's. If you can't tell it is the construction of the Matterhorn.

matterhorn_mar1959.jpg

wannab@dis

TiggerRPh said:
Granted...but it's still "bad show". Walt would never have allowed that to happen. The thing of it is...what was the point of leaving it uncovered in broad daylight it the first place?

Regardless of what's going to happen with the name...this still looks very bad.

I'm shocked by the complacency of people on this topic. At Disney, we shouldn't expect to see things like this.

This is a big deal...what's next bringing down the Indy Amphitheater with a wrecking ball in the middle of the day?

:eek:

Oh please! Did you visit Walt this morning and he told you that? :rolleyes:

It's just a phase of construction. I can't believe how some of you are so bent on seeing bad show everywhere you look. :brick:

Not everything can be done during the middle of the night and/or under cover. They've done a good job of trying to keep the arch covered during the past few weeks. This is probably a phase where they need it uncovered so they can accomplish their goals.

wannab@dis

peter11435 said:
May I point out that Walt made no attempt to hide this very large and very ugly construction site from guests in the late 1950's. If you can't tell it is the construction of the Matterhorn.
Complete with advertising for the steel manufacturer. :lol:

CTXRover

TiggerRPh said:
Granted...but it's still "bad show". Walt would never have allowed that to happen.

Not to pick on you, but I always find it funny when people say Walt wouldn't have allowed this or that. I love looking through old archival photos of Disneyland and there are always examples, much worse than seeing an incomplete arch nearing the end of its refurbishment, of so-called "bad show" by standards some people apply to Disney today. Disneyland on opening day could almost be considered one big "bad show" :lol: Now if the arch was left like that for a month in plain sight with no signs of progress, ok. But this is just part of the construction phase. It is entirely possible that they felt it would be easier and more productive to re-install the sign AFTER removing the scaffolding by using a lift of some kind, necessitating it be "exposed" for a day or two. Its really not a big deal, yet.

MickeyTigg

peter11435 said:
Are you kidding me. So your saying Walt would not have allowed construction in his park. The fact is it IS NOT bad show, it is called construction and unavoidable step towards progress (something Walt was very fond of). May I point out that Walt made no attempt to hide this very large and very ugly construction site from guests in the late 1950's. If you can't tell it is the construction of the Matterhorn.

There is a big difference...between construction and repair or rehab. This is unacccepatble...work could have been done after park hours or behind a cover. The fact that this is out in the open for all to see is unaccepable.

Yes...I did talk to Walt over orange juice this morning. We talk once a week or so...less often if he's busy.

:animwink:

CTXRover

TiggerRPh said:
This is unacccepatble...work could have been done after park hours or behind a cover.

As it has been for the past month and a half. The removal of the tarp is simply an indicator that the rehab is nearing its end. As I said above, whomever is responsible for reinstalling the sign might have decided it was easier to use a lift or something to re-install the sign necessitating the scaffolding be removed. For all we know, there is a new (or old, but repainted) sign up today already :)

peter11435

This ones my favorite, two AA animals from the Jungle Cruise being suspended above the trees from a crane. What’s interesting about this picture is that while the JC opened in 1955 with the park, this picture was clearly taken after 1959 as you can see the Matterhorn in the background. Sure you would think, well the ride must have been closed for rehab. Well you would be wrong, in fact you could clearly see there are guests on the boat while this picture was taken. Not only was this bad show but it was on ride bad show during Walt’s time. Hmmmm...

construction13.jpg

peter11435

TiggerRPh said:
There is a big difference...between construction and repair or rehab. This is unacccepatble...work could have been done after park hours or behind a cover.

See my above post. :wave:

wannab@dis

CTXRover said:
As it has been for the past month and a half. The removal of the tarp is simply an indicator that the rehab is nearing its end. As I said above, whomever is responsible for reinstalling the sign might have decided it was easier to use a lift or something to re-install the sign necessitating the scaffolding be removed. For all we know, there is a new sign up today already :)

Today, tomorrow or next week. If the work requires the cover and scaffolding to be removed so they can complete the process, then that's what they should (and will) do.

lebeau

Original Poster
Sorry, I was in a hurry to get that picture up.

It was taken 10/19/05 for those who are curious.

I may have jumped to conclusions with the naming of my thread. If the old sign goes back up, I apologize for starting a panic. Consider it my little ode to the up-coming Disney feature, Chicken Little :D

CTXRover

peter11435 said:
This ones my favorite, two AA animals from the Jungle Cruise being suspended above the trees from a crane. What’s interesting about this picture is that while the JC opened in 1955 with the park, this picture was clearly taken after 1959 as you can see the Matterhorn in the background. Sure you would think, well the ride must have been closed for rehab. Well you would be wrong, in fact you could clearly see there are guests on the boat while this picture was taken. Not only was this bad show but it was on ride bad show during Walt’s time. Hmmmm...
Blasphemy! :lol: Great example and cool picture. Another favorite example of "bad show" of mine is that the Matterhorn opened with its interior consisting mainly of exposed steel frame, under Walt's approval. It was only later that the interior was finally finished with its appropriate mountain-like interior. Could you imagine the utter outcry if Everest opened like that?

wannab@dis

peter11435 said:

Great site! You can even see the workers out there in front of the guests. :eek:

construction11.jpg

SpenceMan01

I didn't mean to spark a 'bad show' battle. I was just surprised to see the tarps come down without a sign and with 'shotgun holes' in the arch. I never said the words 'bad show' and I don't think we can know from this one way or the other if the MGM name is coming back.

dflye

Ok, so some of you may think that Walt was the leader of some alien race, where they constructed everything off planet, then flew it in on their giant UFOs and installed it overnight, no construction walls needed! :lookaroun

And if people really think that some day they are going to defrost the Walt-sicle (soon to be relocated to a deep-freeze on the 27th floor of the EE building), I'm going to have to start up the Waltology cult and get tax-exempt status to hoard the millions I'll get from fleecing my disciples! :lol:

wannab@dis

dflye said:
Ok, so some of you may think that Walt was the leader of some alien race, where they constructed everything off planet, then flew it in on their giant UFOs and installed it overnight, no construction walls needed! :lookaroun

Constructed? Nah, they use replicators. Installation? Nah, it's teleported! :zipit:

disnyfan89

Is the rehab of the train station "Bad Show" as well! There are few parts going up to the loading area and leaving the loading area that you can clearly see them working on it! There where even times when there was parts of uncovered scaffolding around the top of the station! Shouldn't this be considered "Bad Show"

How about when the castle was being transformed into the castle cake? Was that "Bad Show"? There was workers painting! A crane out in the eyes of public! Half the castle was pink and made of cake and Half the castle blue and white! Shouldn't they have covered the WHOLE castle and the crane to keep guest from seeing "Bad show"!

Or how about when they were replacing the 100 years of magic sign inside the hat with that sculpture! You could clearly see it wasn't finished but they didn't cover that up! Shouldn't that be considered "Bad Show"

I think the answer here is "NO" and do you want to know why? Its because they put up that construction wall that has that little sign that say's "Please excuse our appearance! We are bettering ourselves for your future enjoyment!" and people forgive them for that and think "oh well! We can see that they are improving it for US!"

EpcotGrl

dflye said:

What? You mean Tinkerbell didn't just sprinkle her magic dust & everything appeared by magic?! :hammer: :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom