MGM - Movie Ride

LuLaSue

Original Poster
We were chit chatting with a CM in MGM and he metioned that the Movie Ride was to undergo a refurb. He said most of the ride would be staying the same but, the segment from the movie Alien would be taken out and replaced with a scene from Pirates of the Carribean.

WDWFREAK53

I always thought the part they should change was the horror scene...put a small segment with all of the "faces of horror" in it...from classics (Dracula, Frankenstein, to the new guys like Freddy, Jason, GhostFace from Scream, Pinhead, Leatherface, etc.)

SirGoofy

I always thought the part they should change was the horror scene...put a small segment with all of the "faces of horror" in it...from classics (Dracula, Frankenstein, to the new guys like Freddy, Jason, GhostFace from Scream, Pinhead, Leatherface, etc.)

While I think that would be cool, I think only the classic movie monsters would work in the GMR. Unfortunately, they're UNiversal's properties.

But why would they get rid of Alien? By far one of the best parts of the ride.

T-1MILLION

Yeah, unfortunately as Sirgoofy said they are Universal properties. This is the reason that the horror movie section is so generic.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Why don't they just dump the host like Living w/the Land?
Because a) the host interacts with several show scenes; removing them would require a major storyline rethink

b) more importantly, the ride vehicles are not autonomous. They are `dumb` versions of the Travelling Theatre Cars from UoE - the host has to start and stop them. Changing this would mean starting again with the RCS not to mention a lot of expensive infrastructure work.

Glasgow

Because a) the host interacts with several show scenes; removing them would require a major storyline rethink

b) more importantly, the ride vehicles are not autonomous. They are `dumb` versions of the Travelling Theatre Cars from UoE - the host has to start and stop them. Changing this would mean starting again with the RCS not to mention a lot of expensive infrastructure work.

I think Jimbo was being facetitious
:animwink:

Mufasa's Pride

If they want to add PotC, why not take out a part of the lengthy Tarzan segment instead of taking out Alien.

By the way, GMR is supposed to be about CLASSIC movies, except the final scene. But, I guess many view PotC as an "instant classic."

CoffeeJedi

If they take out Alien, there won't be any references to science fiction at all in the GMR, that's asinine. Many of Hollywood's biggest and most popular blockbusters have been science fiction films. Years ago there was talk of a Star Wars scene, if they have to replace Alien, i'd rather have that. PotC is a completely nonsensical choice, for one thing, its only a few years old as a movie, and of course there's the obvious reason.

Take anything you hear from random CM's with a grain of salt. They don't know anything more than we do, sometimes less if they don't keep up with discussion forums and rumor sites. I think we should all put this one in the "not gonna happen" pile.

JimboJones123

Sorry, didn't realize you loved the crappy host so much.

CoffeeJedi

Sorry, didn't realize you loved the crappy host so much.
Dude, why so harsh? Marni was just stating fact, not expressing any endorsement of the live host. And FWIW, while i've experienced my fair share of bored GMR CM's from the college program going through the motions (who probably don't even know who James Cagney is), I've also had some great experiences. On this last trip, our gangster was an older gentleman (i'd say about 50) who really really got into it! He used a stereotypical "tough guy" accent, and went off script a few times totally in character, ad-libbing with the guest around him. (anyone know him? tell him he's great!)

LuLaSue

Original Poster
If they take out Alien, there won't be any references to science fiction at all in the GMR, that's asinine. Many of Hollywood's biggest and most popular blockbusters have been science fiction films. Years ago there was talk of a Star Wars scene, if they have to replace Alien, i'd rather have that. PotC is a completely nonsensical choice, for one thing, its only a few years old as a movie, and of course there's the obvious reason.

Take anything you hear from random CM's with a grain of salt. They don't know anything more than we do, sometimes less if they don't keep up with discussion forums and rumor sites. I think we should all put this one in the "not gonna happen" pile.
I did say it was Chit Chat!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom