MGM Dining Question

Cinderella1976

Hi everyone - I need some help deciding between the 50's Prime Time Cafe or the Sci-Fi for dinner for our next trip. I know I have plenty of time to make a decision, but I would like to hear your input/experiences. I will be traveling with my DH and three daughters ages 11, 5, & 4. Thank you.

CheersBoston

I like them both so much I always do SciFi for lunch and PrimeTime for dinner. If you are planning on doing only one and doing it for dinner, do the PrimeTime. You'll have a great time!!!

Upvote 0

macsmom

I've never eaten at PrimeTime, but I love the Sci-Fi! I made it a point to eat there twice in October. I love the atmosphere of the place, the wait staff is wonderful.....the food is not that bad either. Next trip, I think I will do what CheersBoston recommends and eat at both places!

danna

Upvote 0

nibblesandbits

I've never actually been to either. However, I know I have always wanted to try the 50s Prime Time. I like the down home mama cooking and the feel that the restuarant gives. I've wanted to try this restaurant for 2 years now...hopefully, this year, I'll get to it.

Upvote 0

Jessie&Buzz

I've never eaten at Sci-Fi. I have eaten at 50's Prime Time twice now. I really like the fried chicken! We haven't had that fun time everyone talks about with a server but both were really nice. The desserts were very good too. I have to say that it was the only resturant that I walked out of so full I couldn't move including buffets. I'm not a picky eater but I found that food just appealed to me more than other places.

Upvote 0

Aurora23

We've been to both several times. In years past, we've always enjoyed the 50's Prime Time. The servers will play their parts and it was fun. But lately, the past two times we've eaten there, they would only play around with the tables with children. No matter how many times you go to the Sci-Fi, the atmosphere is always the same - which is good. The food is better at the 50's, but I would rather go to the Sci-Fi from now on. We LOVE it there! Taking DH there for his birthday dinner this year!

Upvote 0

Miss Bell

We always do both, because they are both two of our favorites, but if I had to choose, I'd pick Prime Time--especially with the ages of your kids. I think they will get more out of it.

Upvote 0

justducky78

I personally prefer Sci-Fi Drive-In. It's such a unique atmosphere, pretty laid-back, nice place to relax and eat. I love the waiters on skates and sitting in the little cars watching the old movies. It's my favorite themed restaurant ever!

50's Primetime has a little more upbeat, fun atmosphere. It depends what you're in the mood for. If someone in your party is ultra-shy, they may not like this restaurant!

I personally don't feel the food at either is that great. But, the atmosphere more than makes up for it.

Upvote 0

peters

I've eaten at both twice and the 50's has the best food by far. The Sci-Fi has a great atmosphere & the desserts were very good, but the food there was just awful. 50's has a nice selection and there's LOTS of it. Have a great time wherever you end-up!

Upvote 0

SallyShine

fun, amazing atmospher = Sci Fi
better food = Prime Time

Given the age of your kids, I would say Sci Fi. The first time you see it you're amazed. But, you can't go wrong with either.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I will echo what many have already said. My personal favorite is 50's Prime Time, but we usually do Sci-Fi for lunch so as not to miss it. I like the food better, and the atmosphere is extra fun as I was born in the.....well, some time ago. Smaller children often don't "get" the theme of 50's but do get a kick out of the server picking on Mom or Dad.
As of late, however, my observation is that wait staff is not nearly as good "in character" as they used to be. I had one very nice server start the meal off by saying "I really don't do that stuff".
While young ones don't know drive in theaters either, the atmosphere, activities and servers in Sci-Fi do keep their attention.

The other consideration is the menu. Without knowing your kids, I would say the menu is more kid friendly in Sci-Fi. You can check at the following link to compare for yourself: For Sci Fi, you can also consider asking for the lunch menu that includes burgers.
http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_ptcd.htm
http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_scid.htm

With all that said, they are some of the most unique and well themed Disney restaurants and you will enjoy either.

Upvote 0

SewIn2Disney

The atmosphere at Sci Fi is nice, but we all hated the food.....we absolutly love both the atmosphere and food at Prime Time though, so it get's our vote every time!

When you go, you must try the giant smore! Mmmmmm

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

Another thing to consider that often goes unmentioned, is that it is difficult to communicate with each other when you are dining at SCI-FI.

If your family wants to talk about their day with each other, it is hard to do while sitting behind each other in the car/tables. While ideal for a couple that can sit together in the same row and eat, a family will be spread out in the car and Mom and Dad will have to split up to help the little ones. I never gave this any thought until my sister and her family went with us on one trip!

As someone else mentioned, we do not hardly EVER get a fun waiter/waitress at Prime Time, :rolleyes: but the food and atmosphere is good, and the whole family gets to eat together 'round the same table. That is important to lots of us.

Let us know what you decide!

:wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom