Mermaid: MK is to DCA as Sub is to Omni

dandaman

BlameCanada.jpg

:lookaroun

mcjaco

Do you have kids? My DS digs the 20K movie and Ariel is my daughter's favorite princess. I didn't use to think about it pre-kids, but remember even though it's old hat to us big people, they're seeing this stuff for the first time.

Alas, I do not....yet. I just don't think a lot of people are running out to buy 20K or TLM, over Disney's newer releases. That was my theory, and your daughter (who seems to be quite bright and full of good taste in movies :animwink:), is probably the exception to the rule.

At least we're not referencing the song from the Terence and Philip movie.

Dan probably likes that song. After all, he obsesses over Dolorean. :lol:

kingslyZISSOU

I think subs in the mk would be interesting. It would kind of make sense, seeing how they are one of the staple attractions in Disneyland.

Maybe they had planned on bringing them back all along, but the structure of the lagoon/show building was condemned.

After all the work they've done fixing up the one in cali, I'm sure they would have an abundance of ideas for improving upon the original design.

I know, none of this seems practical. But, Disneyland was never thought of as being practical until some time after it was constructed.

I would love to get to ride the subs. I never got to.

As for the franchises, so many great Disney movies were released WAY before I was born. This doesn't mean that I can't still enjoy them. Personally, I don't enjoy the majority of Disney films released at the time being. Same with the Disney channel. They pretty much use the name, and dumb down the material. Edutainment is dead in the Disney company, and the quality is quickly dieing. I don't find it classy in the least bit. I think Walt would be ashamed of a lot of what his name is on today.

"I don’t make films for children. I make films that children aren’t embarrassed to take their parents to." - Walt Disney

Since I was very young, I loved the film 20,000 leagues under the sea. I would love to see Disney exploring the possibilities of the franchise. Perhaps a remake would be good. I would like them to just release the original film in theaters, with a big promotion campaign. And no, I'm not a fan boy of any stretch. I haven't even seen it in a year or two.

I'm all for a Mysterious Island land. Why do rides have to be built upon current franchises now?

Most of the classic rides such as jungle cruise, pirates, haunted mansion, tiki room, Matterhorn, the subs, big thunder, and space mountain, were not based on a Disney owned franchise.

People still enjoy it just as much. So if you take a classic franchise that is unknown to the masses and still enjoyable, It can be just as much as a hit.

(yes, I know, my grammar isn't the greatest. Please critique me. I'm a high school student who is trying to become better at writing.)

ToTBellHop

Alas, I do not....yet. I just don't think a lot of people are running out to buy 20K or TLM, over Disney's newer releases. That was my theory, and your daughter (who seems to be quite bright and full of good taste in movies :animwink:), is probably the exception to the rule.

Dan probably likes that song. After all, he obsesses over Dolorean. :lol:
Despite how Disney has been choosing its new attraction concepts of late (based upon recent, popular Pixar movies), it doesn't really matter what an attraction is based upon, if anything. Imaginative, well-executed attractions are always popular with or without a fanbase for the concept behind the attraction. For example, Stitch is a pretty popular character, but Stitch's Great Escape isn't a particularly successful attraction. Most people have never heard of Song of the South, and those who have (and have seen the movie) are typically not huge fans, yet Splash Mountain is one of the most successful attractions Disney has ever made.

Animaniac93-98

Kids today don't buy The Little Mermaid? I guess that's why Disney only made hundreds of millions in sales for the 2006 DVD release and why Ariel merchandise continues to sell well or why long line ups exist for Ariel in the parks or why Disney would want to build a ride about that movie which is almost 20 years old.

20K you could make a case for, but that's because Disney can't be bothered to introduce it's older films to youngins itself. A new packaging of the old DVD is coming this March though, but how many commercials on the Disney Channel will you see for that??

Animaniac93-98

Despite how Disney has been choosing its new attraction concepts of late (based upon recent, popular Pixar movies), it doesn't really matter what an attraction is based upon, if anything. Imaginative, well-executed attractions are always popular with or without a fanbase for the concept behind the attraction. For example, Stitch is a pretty popular character, but Stitch's Great Escape isn't a particularly successful attraction. Most people have never heard of Song of the South, and those who have (and have seen the movie) are typically not huge fans, yet Splash Mountain is one of the most successful attractions Disney has ever made.

Tell that to management, then we might have nice things in the park (EE aside, but I'm sure another member of this site will correct my opinion on that ride so that I don't like it).

jakeman

Tell that to management, then we might have nice things in the park (EE aside, but I'm sure another member of this site will correct my opinion on that ride so that I don't like it).
You're broad statement lack specifics. It sounds to you like nothing in the park is worthwhile other than EE.

IlikeDW

I think Walt would be ashamed of a lot of what his name is on today.

"I don’t make films for children. I make films that children aren’t embarrassed to take their parents to." - Walt Disney

I can't agree more, that is one reason I cannot understand all of the anti Pixar sentiment. Think about the story lines and the characters. They are films that "children aren't embarrassed to take their parents to" as an adult you can actually forget that you are watching an animation, not because the characters look real but because the characters and the stories feel real. As much as my daughter might like Hannah Montana or HSM I can't watch them because the haracters look real but the they and the stories sure don't feel real. IMO

Animaniac93-98

You're broad statement lack specifics. It sounds to you like nothing in the park is worthwhile other than EE.

In AK? Hell yes there are other nice thins to do! I'm saying there hasn't been much of late added to all of the WDW parks (or at all, as in nothing built in some cases) that is really worth while or getting excited about (like Everest and other rare examples). Partly because every new thing has to have a character tie in to succeed (not just because the attraction is groundbreaking, impressive etc on it's own that's never enough apparently).

ToTBellHop

Well they are currently so obsessed with supposed synergy (have the theme parks not only synergize with each other--"Disney Parks"--but with the rest of the company) that very little that is truly imaginative is occurring. I don't think this is a permanent change in the company, though, and I do believe there are lots of very talented people who realize that the parks cannot continue to be run as they are right now. Problem is, you don't find many of them in administative positions. Matt Ouimet showed that you only need one outspoken person who truly cares about the parks to make changes. Think of how he turned around the DLR in the few years he was DLR President.

WDW1974

I find Mermaid to be a very interesting case study because originally the plan (this was early Disney Decade stuff) was to build Mermaid (the one on the DVD) in Paris as well as Orlando.

I think it dying in Paris was what killed it in O-Town, but am a bit fuzzy on specifics. Then, it was resurrected (concept, not exact same ride) to go into DL. That one never went far either.

Then, a Mermaid dark ride presumably either the original concept or second generation was scheduled in 1999 to be on the opening day slate of HKDL (along with a Peter Pan ride that was axed) and that was one of many things that went from plan to trash can.

Three years pass, DCA opens and struggles and what happens? Someone at WDI proposes a two story Buzz Lightyear/Little Mermaid combo for Paradise Pier (some of us have actually seen a model!) but that idea got little traction and when ToT and Bug's Land were greenlit, Buzz moved across the esplande and Mermaid died again.

So now finally we have an attraction for Ariel and her pals and this one will be a much better one than any of the other plans.

Is there a lesson here? Maybe that if you wish upon a star and believe in magic that maybe ... just maybe ... if you wait 20 years your attraction dream will come true!

WDW1974

At this rate ill be 40 by the time Star Tours 2 opens...if ever

HEY!!! I will be 40 (or past it) by the time Star Tours 2.0 opens!!!:eek:

And it WILL open. The film is pretty much in the can. The money has been spent. Right now, it's all about finding a park that will open the coffers ... FWIW, this should be being installed as I type this IF they had stuck with the original schedule.

My guess is 2011 at the earliest now.

fngoofy

Thanks for the update. Subs sounds a stretch, but who knows. The omnimover sounds much more likely. At the moment, fingers crossed for anything I'd say! :)

I can see a virtual sub attraction being built.
Imagine it a cross between 20k and Sea Base Alpha.

You could have it ADA compliant, no water to mess with (other than for theming like SBA was) and they would have an attraction with content that can be updated with relative ease.

I imagine going through a themed queue, boarding a sub, and going on a 5-10 min ride that appears to be under the water, has characters and a story-line, and then returned to the "dock" to wonder how they did the remarkable things I just saw.

I think this has legs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom