Merchandise Watch '11: Turning the Corner on Unique Souvenirs?

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Recently, I've seen a lot of complaints about the declining uniquity and quality of merchandise at WDW. While this was definitely true up until at least 2008, I don't think this is the case anymore. Significant strides have been made since then, especially in 2010, and merchandise is now much improved.

I think everyone likes to bang on this drum because it's a popular one, but I think merchandise has gotten exponentially better in the last two years. To be sure, it's not as good as it was from 90-98, but we have noticed more ride and land specific items (take a look in the Space Mountain gift shop--Tomorrowland AND Space Mountain items! Not just High School Musical!) and the more generic merchandise was more clever, better designed, and generally better.

Other notable merchandise I’ve seen in the past year:
-40th Anniversary Logo Items
-2010 merchandise (among other things) featuring the old “D” script
-retro-inspired shirts for nearly every land in the Magic Kingdom, and for EPCOT
-Figment merchandise featuring Dreamfinder
-Resort-specific merchandise at the Polynesian, Boardwalk, and Animal Kingdom Lodge (the only three resort gift shops I checked).
-Magic Kingdom-specific Summer Nightastic shirts last summer

Anyone else care to indicate what they’ve seen—establish this as a “Merchandise-Watch” thread of sorts?

Merchandise still has a ways to go, especially in location (HSM stuff doesn't belong in Tomorrowland, period), but I think the corner has been turned.

jakeman

Hey Tom,

I'll cautiously agree with you.

The design of clothing is definitely better and there are more pieces now that don't scream tourist or take that one step to far (example: a nice polo shirt with a small Mickey on the front, turn it around and "WALT DISNEY WORLD 2010" emblazoned on the back).

I still think the stores are a little too homogenized, but baby steps...

I'll be down there in about a month and I'll take note of what I see.

Great idea for a thread!

wizards8507

I'm not sure how long they've been around (maybe two years), but I absolutely LOVE the "Por favor..." monorail t-shirts. It's just esoteric enough that nobody would really get it unless they were fellow WDW fans like you.

wolf359

I agree the corner has been turned, and I know on my trip last year I bought more than my last three trips combined, and still didn't get all the things that really caught my eye.

Seeing more ride-specific merchandise is a welcome change. The retro EPCOT Center items are very cool. And I also agree that even the generic stuff is more interesting and better quality than a few years ago.

So yes, I hope that these improvements are the first signs of things to come, and it keeps getting better.

MKCP 1985

The unholy trinity of crap merchandise would include pins, Vinylmation and Duffy the bear. All three of these, separately and together, simply separate you from your hard earned money and offer nothing of joy and true Disney sentiment in return.

That's my opinion, anyway. :D

As for Tee shirts, it is a little disheartening to see the balloony 2010 or 2011 Disney characters tee shirts selling for such a high price, and then to take a drive down 192 to see the same or similar product selling at Wal Mart for a fraction of the price.

On a positive note, the 40th anniversary merchandise seems diverse and interesting and it has been a pleasure to see individual ride tee shirts such as the Space Mountain tee for sale at the various shops.

You might have to dig a little harder than you'd like to find the unique and fun clothing, but I do believe it is out there, more so than in recent years' past.

MKCP 1985

Here are some resort specific Polynesian shirts currently for sale at the upstairs gift shop:

Polynesian1.jpg

Polynesian2.jpg

Thurp

The design of clothing is definitely better and there are more pieces now that don't scream tourist or take that one step to far (example: a nice polo shirt with a small Mickey on the front, turn it around and "WALT DISNEY WORLD 2010" emblazoned on the back).

I laughed out loud because it's happened to me more than once.

I also wish they stopped putting years on merchandise other than commemorative items such as Christmas ornaments and similar.

I agree - it does seem like the merchandise is getting a bit better. However i won't be happy until they bring back the cool resort specific mugs.

~Amanda

jakeman

I laughed out loud because it's happened to me more than once.
Man I hate that.

They have more than likely lost hundreds of dollars in clothing merchandise from my family because they can't keep their grubby hands off the back of clothing.

I don't care if 2010 is "The Year to be Here", I want a jacket or shirt I can wear to a classier place than the local home improvement store on the weekend.

The trepidation I feel when I pull a shirt off the rack is unfortunate. :lol:

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Man I hate that.

They have more than likely lost hundreds of dollars in clothing merchandise from my family because they can't keep their grubby hands off the back of clothing.

I don't care if 2010 is "The Year to be Here", I want a jacket or shirt I can wear to a classier place than the local home improvement store on the weekend.

The trepidation I feel when I pull a shirt off the rack is unfortunate. :lol:

Been down that road, too. Some things (hideous hockey jerseys with the year on them) continue to confound me. I would prefer that anything not a tee-shirt be as understated as possible. I'd love a nicely cut polo with just a very small classic "D" on it.

Another big thing for me is that the cuts of the clothing are once again appropriate for more athletic folks. There were a number of years when I wouldn't buy anything, regardless of design, simply because even a size Small was incredibly baggy.

JimboJones123

The unholy trinity of crap merchandise would include pins, Vinylmation and Duffy the bear. All three of these, separately and together, simply separate you from your hard earned money and offer nothing of joy and true Disney sentiment in return.

That's my opinion, anyway. :D

Spot on. There is no possible way to argue this.

dreamfinder

I also wish they stopped putting years on merchandise other than commemorative items such as Christmas ornaments and similar.

I personally go the complete other route. Once can only have so many polo's with a small mickey on the front. Updating them each year with something unique may get me to buy a new one each trip.

Been down that road, too. Some things (hideous hockey jerseys with the year on them) continue to confound me. I would prefer that anything not a tee-shirt be as understated as possible. I'd love a nicely cut polo with just a very small classic "D" on it.

Agreed. The 40th polos mentioned initially caught my eye, and then I saw the back with a huge logo on it. I can't get away with crud like that, nor do I think it looks good.

Another big thing for me is that the cuts of the clothing are once again appropriate for more athletic folks. There were a number of years when I wouldn't buy anything, regardless of design, simply because even a size Small was incredibly baggy.

Agreed. I was very pleasantly surprised when I bought one of the "budget" retro Christmas t's, and it actually fit me. It had a slim athletic type cut to it. Very nice change from having the shirts that were long enough being way to baggy, and the ones that were cut enough were way to short.

Overall they do seem to have started a trend, especially big props to the retro designer whoever they are, but the remaining merch seems to be even more homogenized. Almost like someone said make 5% better, and then remaining 95% worse. I understand that HSM makes (made) mucho dinero for the mouse, but do I need to see it in every friggin store? And as much as I like Vinylmation and some pins, those don't need to be every 10 feet either.

terp79

I've taken merchandise matters into my own hands! Check out my blog and look for my upcoming post this week. I think it's right up this threads alley!

Korfar

Spot on. There is no possible way to argue this.

Really? Just because you don't like these things no one should? We happen to like pins and Vinylmations and have an extensive collection of them. If you don't like these that is fine but to say everyone should dislike these is ridiculous. Everyone has thier own tasts and like different things. Nothing wrong with that. That is why they have such a variety.

aladdin2007

I agree I think as a whole it has improved, I would however like to see more attraction specific merch and not so much 2011 junk. Hopefully there is even more 40th items to come as well.

I have also noticed the countries at Epcot are doing better especially France, they have some great new mickey with the eiffel tower items like a photo album and a statue etc etc, very well done. Other countries could use some changes this way, but Japan still rules!!
The store in China is all closed up so Im guessing some big changes coming there after the remodel.

COProgressFan

Great idea for a thread!

I agree, I think some merchandise has been improving the past couple years or so. There have been many more clothing options that are more stylish than a typical huge oversized "vacation" t-shirt. As others have mentioned, a polo shirt with a subtle "D" or Mickey silhouette is much more appealing than a character covered screen print shirt. I don't fit into the pack wearing Disney mom demographic.

However, a problem I still am finding is that too much of the merchandise is character based. Over Christmas, I was looking at my collection of Disney ornaments that have accumulated over many years. While I certainly have plenty of character ornaments, I realized how many non-character ornaments I used to buy! Lots of "Walt Disney World" ornaments with the old logo, Magic Kingdom ornaments, a beautiful carved wood DAK ornament from the late 1990's, some great Epcot holiday ornaments, as well as for various resorts (not just deluxes or monorail resorts). Perhaps the most shocking part of all though, was how many of them read "Made in USA"!!

Anyway, for the most part, there are fewer options like this that are for sale at any of the shops on property. It's a shame, because these were well-made items that might be considered more "tasteful" or understated but still were great souvenirs of past visits. I find myself buying few (if any) Christmas ornaments in recent visits, as the Christmas shops, once filled with merchandise, have reduced the variety of items offered to a few small collections, most of which are character based.

I guess my point is, its a shame that the variety of merchandise is decreased, and that not every item has to scream "Disney! Mickey! Yay!" in garish colors.

Tigger1988

Really? Just because you don't like these things no one should? We happen to like pins and Vinylmations and have an extensive collection of them. If you don't like these that is fine but to say everyone should dislike these is ridiculous. Everyone has thier own tasts and like different things. Nothing wrong with that. That is why they have such a variety.

Yup, it's a popular belief around these boards 'If I don't like it, no one can!' :rolleyes:

Thurp

I personally go the complete other route. Once can only have so many polo's with a small mickey on the front. Updating them each year with something unique may get me to buy a new one each trip.

I agree that designs must change, I just have a grudge against items with dates on them. A quick run around property control shows how much stuff goes unsold. I'm going to wear a polo shirt with "WDW '08" on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom