Meeting rare characters

Welsh Chick

I'm going to WDW in two weeks for what might possibly be my last time (or at least last time for a while) and I was wondering where the best places are for finding rare characters? I did all the main characters when I was younger and I fancy seeing different ones.

For example, Jimmy cricket, Abu, Genie, Toy story characters etc.

I also wondered if it's easy to see the main characters (goofy, pluto, mickey, etc.) walking around or if your best bet to the queue up and see them? Also I saw a picture of someone with Mexican Donald. I would love to meet him! Is he reguarly in Mexico in WS?

Two more quick questions....

1) When I went a few years ago Woody and Buzz didn't have soft hands and could only stamp their signature. I've seen pictures of them lately and wondered if they have changed?

2) Back in 2000 in Epcot I was walking by the entrance of WS (Canada I think) and a bus pulled up with all the main characters (Mickey, Pluto, Donald, etc) They got off and stayed for a while. Is this normal?

Sorry for all the questions guys. I'm just so exicited about my trip!! :wave:

joanna71985

I'm going to WDW in two weeks for what might possibly be my last time (or at least last time for a while) and I was wondering where the best places are for finding rare characters? I did all the main characters when I was younger and I fancy seeing different ones.

I also wondered if it's easy to see the main characters (goofy, pluto, mickey, etc.) walking around or if your best bet to the queue up and see them? Also I saw a picture of someone with Mexican Donald. I would love to meet him! Is he reguarly in Mexico in WS?

1) When I went a few years ago Woody and Buzz didn't have soft hands and could only stamp their signature. I've seen pictures of them lately and wondered if they have changed?

2) Back in 2000 in Epcot I was walking by the entrance of WS (Canada I think) and a bus pulled up with all the main characters (Mickey, Pluto, Donald, etc) They got off and stayed for a while. Is this normal?

There really aren't set spots for "rare" characters. Your best bet is looking to see if there are any characters out in between Canada and UK (but there are no set times for this), or in Animation Building in the evening. Also, the characters here will more likely be along the lines of uncommon then rare.

Jiminy Cricket can be found at Rafiki's Planet Watch. Abu is only out for MNSSHP and MVMCP (same for Genie). Woody and Buzz can be found across from Toy Story Mania, and Woody and Jessie can be found in Frontierland.

For 99% of the characters, you will have to line up for meet them. And yes, Mexican Donald is regularly in Mexico.

Woody and Buzz still stamp

The bus no longer comes out

Upvote 0

paul436

I

I believe someone else has covered your questions pretty well so I will just say that I loved that bus! 2000 was my first trip to WDW with my children and my first trip since the 70's. That bus pulling up with all the characters was amazing. I think that impressed my children more than anything else and made them Disney fans for life.

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

A bit of advice I read time and again is for persons who would really like to meet certain characters, a stop by guest relations and a discussion there with a friendly cast member can help you find out who will be where and when.

Like Joanna said, a stop by the animation building at the Disney's Hollywood Studios park in the afternoon is likely to pay dividends, and that guest relations cast member can best tell you what time is the right time to be there on the date you are visiting that park.

There are also new characters who aren't considered rare at the moment, but may not be making appearances at all by the time of your next visit. I can remember all too well when Genie was so commonly out and about that he was a bit of a pest! :lol:

Upvote 0

dave&di

Back in 2008 I saw Jiminy Cricket, Pinocchio & Gepeto just in the entrance of MK, can't recognise from my photo exactly where but possibly outside the old expo hall.

Upvote 0

CaptainShortty

As far as the characters, here is a list of all the characters and where you can find them in their respective parks. They don't all come out everyday so check a times guide when you get there. You can also ask a front desk CM to print out the times guide from their computer.

Magic Kingdom:

Angelica and Jack Sparrow (Caribbean Plaza); Belle (Town Square Theater); Buzz Lightyear (Carousel of Progress); Cinderella (Town Square Theater); Chip and Dale (Carousel of Progress); Eric and Ariel (Adventureland Veranda); Goofy (Splash Mountain); Aladdin and Jasmine (The Magic Carpets of Aladdin); Mickey and Minnie (Town Square Theater); Princess Aurora (Town Square Theater); Princess Tiana and Prince Naveen (Liberty Square); Rapunzel and Flynn Rider (Fairytale Garden); Tigger and Pooh (Fantasyland); White Rabbit, Alice and Queen of Hearts (Mad Tea Party); Woody and Jessie (Splash Mountain)

Epcot:

Aladdin (Morocco); Alice (UK); Belle and the Beast (France); Chip and Dale (Innoventions); Donald Duck (Mexico and Character Spot); Duffy the Disney Bear (World Showcase Friendship Ambassador Gazebo); Goofy (Character Spot); Jasmine (Morocco); Marie (France); Mary Poppins (UK); Mickey Mouse (Character Spot); Minnie Mouse (Character Spot); Mulan (China); Pluto (Character Spot); Princess Aurora (France); Snow White (Germany); Tigger (UK); Tinker Bell (Pixie Hollow); Winnie the Pooh (UK); Stitch (Park Entrance); Daisy (Park Entrance)

Hollywood Studios:

Buzz Lightyear and Woody (Toy Story Mania); Phineas and Ferb (Streets of America); Green Army Men (Toy Story Mania); Mike and Sulley (Streets of America); Jessie and Bullseye (Outside Pizza Planet); Mickey and Minnie (Sorcerer's Hat and Animation Courtyard); Goofy (Sorcerer's Hat and Animation Courtyard); Pluto (Sorcerer's Hat and Animation Courtyard); Donald and Daisy (Sorcerer's Hat and Animation Courtyard); Disney Junior Characters (Playhouse Disney); Lotso (Animation Courtyard); Mr. and Mrs. Incredible (Animation Courtyard); Frozone (Animation Courtyard); Mary Poppins and Penguins (Animation Courtyard); Eeyore (Animation Courtyard); Aladdin, Jasmine and Abu (Animation Courtyard); Lightning McQueen and Mater (Luigi's Garage); Snow White (Animation Courtyard); Belle (Animation Courtyard); Pocahontas and Meeko (Animation Courtyard); Genie (Animation Courtyard)

Animal Kingdom:

Br'er Bear (Camp Minnie-Mickey); Br'er Rabbit (Camp Minnie-Mickey); Donald Duck (Camp Minnie-Mickey); Goofy (Camp Minnie-Mickey and DinoLand U.S.A.); Jiminy Cricket (Rafiki's Planet Watch); Mickey and Minnie (Camp Minnie-Mickey); Miss Bunny (Camp Minnie-Mickey); Pluto (DinoLand U.S.A.); Pocahontas (Rafiki's Planet Watch and Camp Minnie-Mickey); Rafiki (Rafiki's Planet Watch); Thumper (Camp Minnie-Mickey); Baloo (Camp Minnie-Mickey); Daisy (Camp Minnie-Mickey); Eeyore (Camp Minnie-Mickey); Flik (Discovery Island); Jiminy Cricket (Rafiki's Planet Watch); King Louie (Camp Minnie-Mickey); Lilo and Stitch(Discovery Island); Meeko (Rafiki's Planet Watch); Princess Atta (Discovery Island); Terk (Discovery Island)

As far your other questions
- The best place to see the "Fab 5" is at the Epcot Character Spot. You'll have the shortest overall wait time to meet them all and the character attendants are pretty good about letting you take multiple pictures with the characters (ex. photopass plus your camera) as long as it isn't real busy.
- Donald Duck can be found in Mexico pretty much everyday. Just check a times guide when you get there for what time.
- Buzz still uses a stamp but Woody has a regular signature.
- As far as I know the bus was just part of the millennium celebration so they don't have it anymore. But I'm not really sure on that one.

Hope all that helps! Good Luck in the search! :animwink:

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Others have listed finding Jiminy Cricket at Rafiki's Planet Watch. We've also found him at times beside Pinocchio Village Haus, in the area near the rest room area. There are tables there where him and the CM's line up the kids to wait to see him. We usually ask at Guest Relations when he will be in the park. We have never caught him out with Pinocchio. We have seen Pinocchio with Gepetto a lot.

Upvote 0

boufa

I second the Character spot in Epcot. Last time we were there we had no idea that we were going to spend the entire trip chasing character autographs (my daughter was 5 then). The character spot was indoors, thus air conditioned. The line moved pretty good. BUT once you knock off the fab 5, you can skip the line everywhere else for them. Of course some people want regular Mickey, jungle mickey and chef mickey, but that is a lot of line standing. We are spending day 1 of our trip this year with Epcot for this very reason.

The only issue this year is the new Mickie spot in the MK looks wicked cool. So we may end up with mickey twice. But again, Epcot is 1 line = all 5. MK is 1 line = 1 (or is it 2?)

Upvote 0

AlwaysWDW

I cannot recommend the new Exhibition Hall meet and greet enough! We went about 3 weeks ago and only waited 10 minutes to meet Mickey and Minnie (I've heard that Minnie is not always there... but she was throughout the duration of our trip) and virtually had no wait to see the princesses. I'm sure the crowds are a little higher now than when we went, but I was amazed at how efficiently it was run considering I have not gotten a picture with the "real" Mickey since I was a kid because I refused to wait in the old tent line for an hour and a half. You can also get a fastpass (which typically is not needed), but that way you can ensure not to have to wait.

Also, as others have mentioned, I have always had great luck finding the slightly more "rare" characters at Rafiki's Planet Watch. If you go up there, make sure you wait for a while because they typically rotate new characters in frequently.

Upvote 0

Chewmonkey

Actually...

At HS, inside the Art of Animation building, they have 'rare' characters out between 5:00 and 6:00 pm. We were there three weeks ago, and were told these characters are only out for that one hour.

We saw: (ignore my spelling)

Pinocchio and gepetto
Genie
Jafar
Mary Poppins with 3 penguins
Pocahontis and Miko
Rafiki
Smee
Max (Goofy's son I think)

Also many regulars (Pooh in his new movie set), Tigger, Eeyore, Donald, Daisy, Pluto, Goofy, Minnie, Incredibles, Fantasia Mickey, Stitch)

That's all Ican remember, but we got them all in in an hour or so. Characters switch out every 15 min.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest

I've been wondering the same thing. The last 2 times, I haven't see a lot of rare characters. In 2005, on our honeymoon, we say Gipetto and Pinochio and King John and Robin Hood, Queen of Hearts and Cruella. They were all in the front circle as you enter the park and go under the train tracks. Since then, I have never seen any of those characters except for at Disneyland and in the parade. And I go to WDW every year. I'm kind of bummed b/c I would like to see more characters out and about.

Upvote 0

PolynesianPrincess

I second the Character spot in Epcot. Last time we were there we had no idea that we were going to spend the entire trip chasing character autographs (my daughter was 5 then). The character spot was indoors, thus air conditioned. The line moved pretty good. BUT once you knock off the fab 5, you can skip the line everywhere else for them. Of course some people want regular Mickey, jungle mickey and chef mickey, but that is a lot of line standing. We are spending day 1 of our trip this year with Epcot for this very reason.

The only issue this year is the new Mickie spot in the MK looks wicked cool. So we may end up with mickey twice. But again, Epcot is 1 line = all 5. MK is 1 line = 1 (or is it 2?)

We met Mickey and Minnie in Town Square and the line was only 10 mins about an hour before park closing. You can also get FP for the Mickey meet and greets there as well as the Princesses. I'm not sure if its the same as Judges Tent and there are multiple rooms with Mickey in each one or not..

Upvote 0

Welsh Chick

Original Poster
Thanks guys for all your advice! You all definitely answered my questions! I'll definitely be on the hunt when I go in 11 days time!! I'll post photos of my findings!

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Being in the Animation Building at 5 PM is a good way to see some more "rare" characters. The last time I was there, we saw Mary with 2 Penguins, Pinocchio, Meeko, and Stitch. However, there have been reports here that on some days, a lot of the Fantasmic villains show up. Perhaps Raxip can confirm?

The other way to catch the more rare characters is to be present at Epcot near the Millenium Village during a training session. Obviously, these greets are not advertised, so it's totally luck of the draw.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom