Trip Report Meet the Floridians

Hello humans! :joyfull:

Most of you know me by now, but for those of you who haven't followed my past TR's (particularly my most recent), I'll do some brief introductions. :) Feel free to check out my past reports (in my signature) if you'd like!

Who: I'm Brittany! I'm 25 and completely Disney obsessed. My better half is Dylan, also 25 and not quite as Disney obsessed. :rolleyes: Prior to meeting me, he had never been to WDW! :eek: It was obviously top priority to remedy that. ;)
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5393.jpg

This is our baby, Tink. She also loves Disney. :rolleyes:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_53e7.jpg

We got engaged in Magic Kingdom in June.. my dream come true! :inlove: Though our wedding won't take place in Disney, it will be Disney themed. ;)
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5397.jpg

While we were enjoying our time in the World, I accepted a 1st grade teaching position in Osceola County, Florida. Fast forward a month, and we packed up a U-Haul to relocate from Pennsylvania to the Sunshine State! :cool:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_53ec.jpg

We currently live 20 minutes from Disney property, and one of our first purchases should come as no surprise. ;) This report will be a collection of our adventures as annual passholders, and I'll update it with a Table of Contents as we go. Now, without further ado...

To all who come to this happy place, welcome! :joyfull:

blreinsel

Original Poster
Friday, February 23

Some random pictures from an evening in AK & MK with friends. :) We did Everest, the safari (with hopes of seeing baby Augustus, but no luck :(), and Dinosaur. The picture wasn't working on Dinosaur, so I don't have proof of that one. ;)
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5fbd.jpg

We hopped over to MK after AK had closed and met up with more friends. Before we actually got to the park, we stopped by Tamboooooo for some drinks. :p I can't remember exactly what all we did, but we definitely did Space. ;)
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5fac.jpg

We were cracking up because JD is extremely tall and was crammed into the car. :hilarious:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5fad.jpg

We did standby for 7DMT and only waited about 15 minutes. We rode in the very last seats and it was AMAZING. We were rocking so much and it made our ride that much more enjoyable! We eventually decided to leave and hit up The Wave bar for more drinks before heading home. :)

Friday, March 2

Another random picture from an evening in MK with a friend! :) This, my friends, is why you don't wait a month to trip report. I have no recollection of what we did and this is the only picture I have from the night. :cautious:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6139.jpg

blreinsel

Original Poster
Saturday, March 3

Flower & Garden is upon us! Dylan was working so I was off to explore the sights and smells of spring at Epcot. :joyfull: There were a million people taking pictures in front of this display, so this is as good as I could do. ;)
bVTBFGj9T06i5ftx8cpRLg_thumb_6084.jpg

Moving on, I ran into these cuties!
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6085.jpg

Continuing on toward the World Showcase I found Lightning McQueen.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6086.jpg

Top 5 most stunning views in WDW. :inlove: I love the floating planters so much!!!
UFMuakzbQ5ufg0MUnOUCFA_thumb_6087.jpg

Hakuna Matata!
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6088.jpg

I watched two couples try to recreate this picture by the guys picking up the girls and holding them like Simba. :hilarious:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6089.jpg

I was getting hungry so starting perusing the festival booklet. I settled on this yummy treat from the Bauernmarkt Farmer's Market in Germany. Toasted Pretzel Bread topped with Black Forest Ham and melted Gruyere cheese. :hungry: It was a little cold but it was freaking DELICIOUS. I can only imagine how good it would be if it were a tad warmer. I'll let you know because I'll definitely be having this one again before the festival is over. ;) Also... aren't the festival books adorable!?
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_608a.jpg

I continued walking and soon spotted one of my favorite topiaries. :inlove:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_608b.jpg

Soon I arrived in America and stopped for another snack from The Smokehouse: Barbecue and Brews booth. Howdy Woody!
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_608c.jpg

I had the Pulled Pork Slider with coleslaw and the Warm Chocolate Cake with Bourbon-salted caramel sauce and spiced pecans. Let me start by acknowledging how large the portion sizes are, especially in comparison to the other festivals. After two stops I was STUFFED which is pretty much unheard of. The slider was DELICIOUS and the cake was pretty good, too. I expected it to be a little richer and more chocolatey, but it was still really good. I stood by the smoker to eat and got to take a peek inside as the chef tended to the meat that was cooking. :hungry:
fahk0v2US56qAF6gzil2RA_thumb_608d.jpg

Brwneyedgirl72

I had a similar fan girl moment when I met Jodi Benson (voice of Ariel) about 20-odd years ago when I worked at the Studios. She was there for some kind of event and I casually met her in the park. This was long before our phones could take photos, because I would have loved a picture with her. She was so sweet and down to earth.

blreinsel

Original Poster
Saturday, March 3 cont.

I continued the walk around World Showcase and finally laid eyes on my favorite topiary of the entire festival. :inlove: Though I was disappointed that Cogsworth, Lumiere, Mrs. Potts, and Chip weren't included this year. :(
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_608e.jpg

Next up was Hook and Peter Pan.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_608f.jpg

I needed a drink to wash down the food I'd eaten, so I grabbed the Florida Beer Company Caribe Pineapple Tropical Hard Cider from the Cider House booth in the UK. It was REALLY good and super refreshing. I wouldn't mind having this again. :hungry:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6090.jpg

I visited Pooh and friends as I enjoyed my drink.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6091.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6092.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6093.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6094.jpg

I finished the walk around WS and decided to head out to meet Dylan. Flower & Garden was off to a great start and immediately rose to the top as my favorite festival. :inlove: I couldn't wait to return and try more of the yummy offerings from the booths. I also really enjoyed smelling fresh flowers at the beginning of March, which would never happen in snowy PA. ;)

blreinsel

Original Poster
I had a similar fan girl moment when I met Jodi Benson (voice of Ariel) about 20-odd years ago when I worked at the Studios. She was there for some kind of event and I casually met her in the park. This was long before our phones could take photos, because I would have loved a picture with her. She was so sweet and down to earth.

That's so cool! I would love to meet her, too! :)

blreinsel

Original Poster
Saturday, March 3 cont.

Dylan had to stay a little late so I parked at the golf course and headed over to the Poly until he was done. We decided to watch Happily Ever After from the beach since we wouldn't have time to make it to the park before it was over. I watched the whole show and he made it over about halfway through. That was my first time watching from the beach and though it was romantic and nice to not deal with the crowds, I do prefer watching in the park because I enjoy the projections (unlike most people :p). After the show ended, we hung out on the beach swing for awhile... PSA the swings are SUPER uncomfortable. :hilarious: But we dealt with it in the name of love. :inlove:

We went to see what the wait was to get into Trader Sam's and put our name on the waiting list. They said we would receive a text when we were able to come in, so we decided to walk over the Grand Floridian to have a drink and some snack mix at Mizner's. I love this cider so much! Our bartender was a riot... we really enjoyed talking with her while we enjoyed our drinks. She was giving us a hard time about going to Trader Sam's and kept trying to convince us that Mizner's was better. :hilarious:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6095.jpg

I had just finished my drink when she sat this down in front of me and said "here, will this make you stay instead of going to Trader Sam's?" :hilarious:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6096.jpg

Around an hour later, we finally received our text so bid our awesome bartender farewell and walked back to the Poly. This was our first experience at Trader Sam's and we were excited to see what all the fuss is about! The theming is top notch and the bar is small and intimate.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6097.jpg

On the recommendation of our bartender, I went with the Tahitian Torch (ByeJoe Dragon Fire Spirit, Tropical Juices, Passion Fruit, and fresh Lime Juice). It was different than my usual drink choices, but I was pleasantly surprised. The fiery kick was interesting, but really good. I had taken just a few sips of my drink and being a teacher, I talk with my hands... a lot. I was telling Dylan a story and bumped my drink, sending it toppling over and broken into pieces all over the bar. :banghead: I was MORTIFIED... I swear I was not drunk! Lol. The CM's were great about it and soon had a new drink in front of me. :angelic:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6098.jpg

Dylan was hungry so decided to try the Roasted Chicken and Pork Pâte Báhn Mì Sliders. They were really good! He had a drink too, but he always just gets boring beers. :p
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6099.jpg

Though we didn't order any drinks that come with the fun presentations, we really enjoyed watching others get their drinks. This guy was hilarious! :hilarious:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_609a.jpg

Proof for social media that I wasn't drinking alone. :p
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_609b.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_609c.jpg

We ended up leaving Dylan's car at the golf course and he drove us both home because I was in no condition by the time we left Trader Sam's. :cool: I dropped him off at work the next day and then treated myself to a solo day at AK.

Anyway... Trader Sam's was a blast! I really want to go back, but this time with a group of people (*ahem* @sheriffwoody @Doc Disney @wdisney9000). ;) We had a really fun night sans parks, and this kind of thing is exactly what I looked forward to the most when we moved to FL. Disney has so much more to offer than the parks, and I'm glad that I'm finally getting to take advantage of it all!

blreinsel

Original Poster
Sunday, March 4

After I dropped Dylan off at work, I headed over to AK for some animal love! I started off by exploring the Tree of Life trail, or whatever the proper name for it is. I had never done this before, but knew from reading other people's reports that it offered some unique and beautiful views of the tree.

My first view was of these little cuties! I love kangaroos and always forget that these guys are here.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_609d.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_609e.jpg

It was amazing just how many "new" animals I noticed on the tree by walking this trail.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_609f.jpg

Some of my favorites as I walked. :)
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60a0.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60a1.jpg

The Tree of Life is so under appreciated. I mean LOOK AT IT. What an amazing work of art. :inlove:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60a2.jpg

I moved on to the Maharajah Jungle Trek, another new trail for me! I was on a mission to see some baby tigers. :joyfull: On my way, I stopped to watch these interesting creatures. Their faces look like puppies and are soooo cute! :inlove:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60a4.jpg

The wing span on these guys is amazing!
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60a5.jpg

Continuing on... this trail is breathtaking! There are so many picturesque areas that most people probably just pass on by or don't even know exist.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60a6.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60a7.jpg

Last edited:

blreinsel

Original Poster
Sunday, March 4 cont.

I could tell that I had arrived judging by the large crowd that had congregated in this viewing area. ;)
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60a8.jpg

I had an obstructed view thanks to this lady with her obnoxious camera. :rolleyes: I felt bad for the little kids who were trying to see around her. She eventually moved, but she was there for an extended period of time.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60a9.jpg

Sleepy babies! :inlove:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60aa.jpg

Somebody decided to test mama's patience. :p She played for a few minutes before putting him in his place and settling back in for her continued nap.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60ab.jpg

I can't tell them apart, but this little sweetheart got brave and came right down to the glass. :inlove:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60ac.jpg

Sooooo beautiful and fluffy! :inlove:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60ad.jpg

After a few minutes in the sun, he moved over to sit in the shade for a little while, eyes on mom the whole time.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60ae.jpg

He then moved on to climb on this structure. :joyfull:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60af.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60b0.jpg

A perfect spot for sunbathing!
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60b1.jpg

I watched for a few more minutes before deciding to move on. He had returned to lay in the grass with mom and sister (?) so I figured he was finished entertaining guests for the day anyway. ;)

blreinsel

Original Poster
Sunday, March 4 cont.

I passed by these guys just over the bridge.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60b2.jpg

More beautiful views along the trail!
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60b3.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60b4.jpg

The bird viewing area was busy, but I didn't stick around for long. I like to observe the birds, but preferably from outside their enclosure where I'm not going to become their toilet. :p
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60b5.jpg

I was hungry following my trek so stopped by Yak & Yeti for some food. I had the large side of chicken fried rice. It was a HUGE portion for a really reasonable price!
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60b6.jpg

After refueling, I did something I hadn't done in years... Rafiki's Planet Watch! The train ride over was really relaxing and I was tempted to just stay on board for a few more trips around. :joyfull: A lot of the animals were in the "rest" area where nobody could get to them, and I can't say that I blame them lol.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60b7.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60b8.jpg

This is the tallest goat I've ever seen. :oops:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60b9.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60ba.jpg

I walked inside the building but there wasn't much going on. I had just missed seeing a turtle checkup and there isn't really much else to do here. I headed back to the station to return to the "main land."

I walked through Harambe Market and took the back way to Pandora. I love the views in this area so much!
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60bb.jpg

blreinsel

Original Poster
Sunday, March 4 cont.

I needed something sweet so hopped onto the app and ordered from Satuli Canteen. Mobile ordering is awesome... USE IT.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60bc.jpg

This is one of my favorite desserts on property... SO GOOD.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60bd.jpg

I decided to just walk around for a little while after finishing my treat. I don't understand how people aren't in awe of this land. It is absolutely breathtaking. :inlove:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60be.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60bf.jpg

I had a FP+ for Na'vi River Journey, so hopped in line for that. After my ride, I decided to start heading out.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60c0.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60c1.jpg

I had passed Meeko and Terk on my way into the park earlier but they were going in for a break so I didn't get to say hi. The same thing happened on my way out. :( I wish they'd do things like this more often! I enjoy the impromptu meet and greets that don't require me to wait in long lines. ;)
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60c2.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60c3.jpg

See you next time AK!

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I had an obstructed view thanks to this lady with her obnoxious camera. :rolleyes: I felt bad for the little kids who were trying to see around her. She eventually moved, but she was there for an extended period of time.
unadjustednonraw_thumb_60a9-jpg.272361

Question for the photographers ( @fractal @sheriffwoody and any other folks who would know). Is a lens like this overkill considering the distance from the viewing area to the back of the area where the tigers are in is appx 50 yards or so? I only ask because the camera I have came with an additional lens that is waaaaaay smaller than that and it could zoom in to pretty good distance. Im sure that lens sheas gets better quality at a distance, but that thing looks like its good or people trying to get photos of Area 51 from a mile away, lol. Just curious, thanks for any input.

fractal

Question for the photographers ( @fractal @sheriffwoody and any other folks who would know). Is a lens like this overkill considering the distance from the viewing area to the back of the area where the tigers are in is appx 50 yards or so? I only ask because the camera I have came with an additional lens that is waaaaaay smaller than that and it could zoom in to pretty good distance. Im sure that lens sheas gets better quality at a distance, but that thing looks like its good or people trying to get photos of Area 51 from a mile away, lol. Just curious, thanks for any input.

Pretty sure it's a zoom lens (80-210mm?), so the shorter focal length would likely be appropriate for that distance, while the longer length may be overkill.

Smaller cameras have more of a "zoom" because of their smaller sensors. In fact, some small point & shoots can "zoom" all the way to 1,000mm. Since higher end cameras have larger sensors, one needs a larger lens to cover that sensor, especially for longer distances. Without getting too technical, it's really just comes down to the math. The larger sensor will almost always give you better image quality however. A full frame camera image shot at 200mm, then cropped down to a focal length equivalent of 1,000mm will be a better image than a P&S shot at 1,000mm.

sheriffwoody

It looks like it has an extender on it, so she could get really tight shots on their faces. My 70-200mm is less than half that length. Not overkill if that's what you're going for. She's probably local and went to the park special for that. I can't imagine lugging something like that around all day for fun! I wouldn't want to shoot through the glass either :/ I bet the images weren't that great.

Songbird76

Sunday, March 4

After I dropped Dylan off at work, I headed over to AK for some animal love! I started off by exploring the Tree of Life trail, or whatever the proper name for it is. I had never done this before, but knew from reading other people's reports that it offered some unique and beautiful views of the tree.

My first view was of these little cuties! I love kangaroos and always forget that these guys are here.
View attachment 272357

View attachment 272358

It was amazing just how many "new" animals I noticed on the tree by walking this trail.
View attachment 272359

Some of my favorites as I walked. :)
View attachment 272349

View attachment 272350

The Tree of Life is so under appreciated. I mean LOOK AT IT. What an amazing work of art. :inlove:
View attachment 272352

I moved on to the Maharajah Jungle Trek, another new trail for me! I was on a mission to see some baby tigers. :joyfull: On my way, I stopped to watch these interesting creatures. Their faces look like puppies and are soooo cute! :inlove:
View attachment 272353

The wing span on these guys is amazing!
View attachment 272354

Continuing on... this trail is breathtaking! There are so many picturesque areas that most people probably just pass on by or don't even know exist.
View attachment 272355

View attachment 272356
Love it!! I LOVE the Tree of Life. It really is a fantastic piece of art. I didn't have nearly enough time to take it all in...if there IS enough time to take it ALL in. It's so intricate!!
Can I ask you to put a warning in front of the bat pictures? I know at least one member here who reads a lot of TRs has a major phobia and is triggered by pictures. I'd hate for her to inadvertently stumble on the pictures. If she's warned, then at least she knows to scroll past really quickly. Thanks!

blreinsel

Original Poster

That was my thought, too. :cautious:

That Dream It Do It print is amazing I love it.

I'm so in love with it! :inlove:

It looks like it has an extender on it, so she could get really tight shots on their faces. My 70-200mm is less than half that length. Not overkill if that's what you're going for. She's probably local and went to the park special for that. I can't imagine lugging something like that around all day for fun! I wouldn't want to shoot through the glass either :/ I bet the images weren't that great.

I thought the same thing...

So cool that you got to meet the voice of Belle!

I still can't believe it! :inlove:

Love it!! I LOVE the Tree of Life. It really is a fantastic piece of art. I didn't have nearly enough time to take it all in...if there IS enough time to take it ALL in. It's so intricate!!
Can I ask you to put a warning in front of the bat pictures? I know at least one member here who reads a lot of TRs has a major phobia and is triggered by pictures. I'd hate for her to inadvertently stumble on the pictures. If she's warned, then at least she knows to scroll past really quickly. Thanks!

Done :)

krisri18

I agree, I scrolled past those as fast as my mouse would move!

Songbird76

I'm very fortunate that I don't have any picture-triggered phobias. I'm deathly afraid of bees, even having never been stung, but I only freeze when one is around or on me. Same with heights...I'm fine seeing PICTURES of it, but I can't even watch someone else go near the edge of something high up. It's like I can't breathe and I get dizzy...so I can only imagine what it's like to be scrolling through a trip report and suddenly get that panicky feeling. It must be awful if it's anything like my reactions to a stimulus I have a phobia of. Yikes. I imagine there are several things members may have phobias of here, but I happen to know of one member with a bat phobia from someone posting pictures in another thread, so I wanted to spare her if she happens to follow this TR, which there's a good chance she does.

krisri18

I'm very fortunate that I don't have any picture-triggered phobias. I'm deathly afraid of bees, even having never been stung, but I only freeze when one is around or on me. Same with heights...I'm fine seeing PICTURES of it, but I can't even watch someone else go near the edge of something high up. It's like I can't breathe and I get dizzy...so I can only imagine what it's like to be scrolling through a trip report and suddenly get that panicky feeling. It must be awful if it's anything like my reactions to a stimulus I have a phobia of. Yikes. I imagine there are several things members may have phobias of here, but I happen to know of one member with a bat phobia from someone posting pictures in another thread, so I wanted to spare her if she happens to follow this TR, which there's a good chance she does.
Bats freak me out, no idea why but my absolute worst is sharks, can't look at picture without bringing on a panic attack. I'm not fond of bees either, I'm allergic to almost all things found in nature so I hate to get stung and find out that's another one for the list. My mom is absolutely petrified of bees; like there's one in the car and she stops in the middle of the road and jumps out afraid. Weird the things we fear huh?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom