Measurement balloons and small platforms in DAK lagoon. Hint for possible nighttime show?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It is the start of prepping for a show. I posted in the Avland thread earlier this week to try to give it something of more interest. This is more of 'testing what works each night' rather than having a show ready to go though.

Apparently the water quality issue isn't that big a problem. Showcase lagoon is pretty bad now and has no issues with the more intricate fountains.

Spikerdink

If they brought a nighttime show to AK, it would mean a lot of extra cash outlays on a daily basis. The park would need to be open later, which means more CMs on duty, then there is the cost of the show each day (I am assuming no pyrotechnics as it might upset the animals?) and there has to be more for the guests to do every day to entice them to stay there for more than a few hours.

Now, if Avatar actually comes to fruition, that might be enough to make AK a full day park and then the added bonus of a night time show could keep people (and their wallets) around for a longer time.

I could see people planning four nights at the parks so they could see each of the nighttime shows. Financially, that might make sense.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
are they going to build more viewing areas around the lagoon? @marni1971
I've not had it confirmed but I believe that's the plan. It will have to be a balance between handling the crowds and not butchering the daytime vistas and foliage. And ensuring guests can't make their own views, trashing the landscape in the process.

It would have also to be controlled so not to overgrow. Epcots promenade is infamous for having less and less viewing areas over the years due to tree and foliage growth, clutter of drink stands notwithstanding. Lets hope there's a balance between enough room and not full on land clearing.

muteki

Hopefully they will finally be able to put those old river cruise docks to good use, or at least the space they occupy.

doctornick

If they brought a nighttime show to AK, it would mean a lot of extra cash outlays on a daily basis. The park would need to be open later, which means more CMs on duty, then there is the cost of the show each day (I am assuming no pyrotechnics as it might upset the animals?) and there has to be more for the guests to do every day to entice them to stay there for more than a few hours.

Now, if Avatar actually comes to fruition, that might be enough to make AK a full day park and then the added bonus of a night time show could keep people (and their wallets) around for a longer time.

I could see people planning four nights at the parks so they could see each of the nighttime shows. Financially, that might make sense.

Adding a night time show is definitely in the works, though it sounds like the specifics are still being determined. I actually love the idea of using the "pond" area of the Discovery River near Asia/Dinoland for a show and hope this works out.

I think you bring up good points about the problems with a night show and longer hours -- it increases costs and there is still a lack of things to do for a full day. For starters, I think they need to add more food service. Something is planned with Avatar, but if they add a night show and later hours before that, then I think they need to add more options to the park. Ironically, one of the big benefits to having longer hours is to get people to eat dinner there (i.e. spend money in the park).

In terms of attractions, I still think that they need to add some smaller stuff to round things out and add capacity. Even something like the flat rides from A Bug's Land on Discovery Island would be a start or adding some Fantasyland style dark rides somewhere. It doesn't sound like there is much plans in this regard except for Pandora (though there was a rumor about something being added to the area of the new FOTLK theater, though I got the sense it was a lion enclosure, not a ride).

To their credit, Disney has added some more entertainment like Bamboo and the Asian dance troupe as well as the Wilderness Explorers game, but these are small potatoes compared to actual rides.

MattM

That's true. But having guests stay for a nighttime show also means more coca colas, hamburgers, gifts, etc are purchased during those extra hours.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom