Maus au Chocolat

Spideyfreak110

Original Poster
Mods, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. It's kind of an oddball topic.

Looks like Toy Story Mania wasn't an exclusive Disney design.

Maus au Chocolat is located in Phantasialand in Germany, and opened this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGJTi7zHDj8

My theory:

So this explains why Midway Mania has crappy capacity then. Disney outsourced the ride system. The manufacturer of which gave them the ride system in use today. Had Disney designed it they would have made one with better capacity. It makes perfect sense.

Discuss.

ArtieJim

I think if they had up'd the ride capacity the ride itself may have turned out crappy. Would you really want to be squished in ten or fifteen other people? Plus, I don't think you'd get the same ride quality, I don't think it'd be whipping around like it does now if you get a lot of people in one of those little carts.

Pretty cool that they have it at a non-Disney park though, just one more theme park I know about that I'll never go to in my life.

RSoxNo1

So what's the story here, did Disney use someone else's ride system for Toy Story Mania? My understanding was that this was Imagineering's design and software.

Rose Marie

So what's the story here, did Disney use someone else's ride system for Toy Story Mania? My understanding was that this was Imagineering's design and software.

It sure looks like it. :lookaroun The ride vehicles and game mechanics are exactly the same. And yes, I totally agree with what SleepingMonk said, this place has far richer theming then either of the stateside parks, and it's at a random park in Germany (that I now want to visit :slurp: ).

powlessfamily4

I have a question - is it possible they purchased the ride idea from Disney? Everyone is assuming that Disney outsourced this ride, if TSMM has been in place for a while now, is it possible they allowed them to purchase the rights to the design idea?

Spike-in-Berlin

I wouldn't dare to compare Phantasialand with any park at WDW not to talk about MK, the immersive quality if any is far beyond Disney standards as is also the theming.
At least it was like this when I visited it in the 1990ies, I was very disappointed although I had not expected much but if you have been to the World three times you have very high standards.

HSV-Fan-92

I've been to Phantasialand 2 or 3 years ago and it's quite a nice Park. The have a great Rafting (River Quest) and some sort of ToT called (Mystery Castle). The new Coaster "Black Mamba" is also a great Addition. It is still not comparable to Disney, but the Attractions are getting better and the park is on a good way, in terms of theming and stuff!

Thurp

Wow. This came out of left field.

I was also under the impression that this was an Imagineering design. Are they starting to license some ride systems? This scares me a bit, maybe because I'm not an MBA looking at spreadsheets.

And if they licensed it from a 3rd party then, well, then I hope they get what they deserve and we see this ride EVERYWHERE and done just as well as this version.

powlessfamily4

I don't feel TSMM is substandard. As far as the rich themimg is concerned, One is a bakery and the other a child's room from Toy Story. TSMM's que is a very good representation of how a child's room would appear to somethng the size of the toys.

Also, I am positive Disney would not state that the Imagineers came up with the concept for TSMM if they did not. It would open them to all sorts of lawsuits. More than likely, because the two themes have absolutely nothing in common and the theme parks are in 2 totally different countries, Phantasialand purchased the rights to design a similar ride. As far as those who say it is better, any original idea can be improved on. It takes a real genius to come up with the design to begin with..

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
In many cases Disney use an outside contractor to build the actual ride system. Mission Space, Rock n RollerCoaster and Everest have been recent examples of this. Disney do however oversee everything, and carry out the concept and design. That versions looks very close to TSM in terms of both the ride system and actual concept. Would be interesting to know the story there.

space42

Wow, this looks nicer than TSMM in every possible way. The queue has a much richer theme. The parts between the video screens are also heavily themed with moving props and such. I really like the 'stained glass' doors that open to reveal the screens. Whereas with TSMM it looks like what it is.. random screens placed around a track with no real theme. TSMM looks like a cheep knock off of this ride and not the other way around.
This is kind of depressing... remember when Disney made attractions that ONLY Disney could make?

Even if Disney did license the ride system from a 3rd party that other parks can use, that is no excuse for Disney to be out-themed. Ouch.

hpyhnt 1000

From my perspective, there's three scenarios:

- Disney outsourced more of the design and ride system than they initially said.

- Phantasialand purchase the rights to the design from Disney.

- Phantasialand did a REALLY good job copying a Disney attraction while at the same time doing enough changes to the overall ride system to avoid infringement.

I must say the rides look to be carbon copies of each other to the naked eye; only difference is that Maus au Chocolat seems to be better than (or at least equal to) TSM in many ways.

Spideyfreak110

Original Poster
Wow. I read over on coasterforce.com that the ride system for Maus au Chocolat is a product of ETF Rides. The kick however, is that this particular ride system is not listed on their website.

I think it's very possible that Disney worked out a list of specifications for what they needed, and ETF designed something for them. Since it's a product of ETF though, they can sell and install it in other parks.

^That's all going with the theory that it is a product of ETF, which is not confirmed at the moment.

I agree though, the ride does look much better than TSMM.

whylightbulb

Mods, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. It's kind of an oddball topic.

Looks like Toy Story Mania wasn't an exclusive Disney design.

Maus au Chocolat is located in Phantasialand in Germany, and opened this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGJTi7zHDj8

My theory:

So this explains why Midway Mania has crappy capacity then. Disney outsourced the ride system. The manufacturer of which gave them the ride system in use today. Had Disney designed it they would have made one with better capacity. It makes perfect sense.

Discuss.
Japan, Orlando and Anaheim's TSMMs ride systems have all been manufactured by Sansei Yusoki out of Japan. Sansei also manufactured both Mermaid ride systems as well as several other projects for Disney. Disney determines the building footprint and ride track layout and consults with Sansei on the mechanical/controls design.

The Maus au Chocolat ride is superior in every aspect in my opinion, with the exception of the one Mr. Potatoe Head AA.

the-reason14

It looks decent, and I like the extra details they have when transitioning from 'game to game' but other than that, I can't see how people think this is better than TSM. It looks like the same game over and over again, TSM at least has variety. And the fact that it's Toy Story already makes it better imo. :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom