Maus au Chocolat

SleepingMonk

It looks decent, and I like the extra details they have when transitioning from 'game to game' but other than that, I can't see how people think this is better than TSM. It looks like the same game over and over again, TSM at least has variety. And the fact that it's Toy Story already makes it better imo. :p

TSMM is the same game over and over again, and it's in a wide open space with ZERO attempt at theme after a boring, cheap queue.

But I really hate what pixar has done to the parks, so I'm admittedly bias.

El Grupo

What I find entertaining is that some who find this ride superior to TSMM would probably have a "meh" response if this was built in WDW..."great queue, monotonous attraction...give it a C-".

the-reason14

TSMM is the same game over and over again, and it's in a wide open space with ZERO attempt at theme after a boring, cheap queue.

But I really hate what pixar has done to the parks, so I'm admittedly bias.

Uh, no it's not!! You're not launching dough at every game in TSM like this other ride/game.

space42

What I find entertaining is that some who find this ride superior to TSMM would probably have a "meh" response if this was built in WDW..."great queue, monotonous attraction...give it a C-".

I agree completely, but I just don't care much for screen based attractions. I really don't understand the popularity of TSMM either - I suppose some of it is due to the severe lack of rides (and especially ones for the entire family) at DHS.

It seems that even the queue follows a similar design where it goes up and over the track - interesting.

I wonder what WDI thinks. Are there any other examples where another theme park has built an exact clone of a Disney attraction that out-themes Disney?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I think that the reason that Maus appears better themed is that the nice German pastry/chocolate shop theme is a bit more adult than the TSMM theme. However, both are themed very well. This reminds me of the Mission Outerspace ride built at our children's museum. Interestingly, it's hosted by Barry Sinise a little known member of the Sinise clan. :lookaroun

Neverland

What is with all the hate for TSMM's queue?? The entire thing is made out of giant toys, even the ceiling and the floor, and then the boarding area looks just like something a child would build, just from a toy-size angle. DCA's queue sucks, but ours is extremely themed.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
What is with all the hate for TSMM's queue?? The entire thing is made out of giant toys, even the ceiling and the floor, and then the boarding area looks just like something a child would build, just from a toy-size angle. DCA's queue sucks, but ours is extremely themed.

The problem with the queue at DHS, to me, is that its all completely flat walls and ceilings, just painted to look like board games, with some oversized props thrown in everywhere randomly.

I understand what they were trying to make, but I think they could have done a much better job of it.

the-reason14

Exactly!! There ain't nothing wrong with TSM's que. It's just that now that something that's arguably 'slightly' better, TSM line is now 'bad.' Please. It's not the best themed ride in WDW, but it sure isn't the worse!! And I can't see what's so special about this other ride that's worth gawking at, while at the same time putting TSM down.

whylightbulb

Exactly!! There ain't nothing wrong with TSM's que. It's just that now that something that's arguably 'slightly' better, TSM line is now 'bad.' Please. It's not the best themed ride in WDW, but it sure isn't the worse!! And I can't see what's so special about this other ride that's worth gawking at, while at the same time putting TSM down.
To me TSM comes off as one of those rides where Disney took the approach that the game is fun enough so they don't need to spend any money or time on theme and story. It feels like being in a warehouse equipped with projection screens. At no time while I'm on the ride do I remember that I'm in Andy's room. There is no sense of place or story other than the extremely weak idea that I'm on a "gametram" that the toys built for me so I could play games. It's almost as though a 6-year old with no imagination came up with the idea.

The game play itself is engaging enough but we should expect much much more from Disney. The Chocolat ride has a story that makes sense and the theming to go along with it. There is an overall purpose for targeting the mice and it doesn't come across as an afterthought. The props and sets are detailed and even better quality workmanship than TSM. They even have actual mechanical animation in the ride along with set pieces that blend in with the screens - something we should be taking for granted when it comes to Disney but unfortunately we can't because they have successfully lowered our expectations.

SleepingMonk

...feels like being in a warehouse equipped with projection screens...

Because you are and they made no effort to hide it.

Another reason why I hate pixar and what they've done to the parks.

Just throw a movie in the mix and people will be happy, don't worry about the quality of the ride.

the-reason14

To me TSM comes off as one of those rides where Disney took the approach that the game is fun enough so they don't need to spend any money or time on theme and story. It feels like being in a warehouse equipped with projection screens. At no time while I'm on the ride do I remember that I'm in Andy's room. There is no sense of place or story other than the extremely weak idea that I'm on a "gametram" that the toys built for me so I could play games. It's almost as though a 6-year old with no imagination came up with the idea.

The game play itself is engaging enough but we should expect much much more from Disney. The Chocolat ride has a story that makes sense and the theming to go along with it. There is an overall purpose for targeting the mice and it doesn't come across as an afterthought. The props and sets are detailed and even better quality workmanship than TSM. They even have actual mechanical animation in the ride along with set pieces that blend in with the screens - something we should be taking for granted when it comes to Disney but unfortunately we can't because they have successfully lowered our expectations.

I guess I'm just different. I guess I'm too caught up in actually playing the games and concentrating on what I'm supposed to be, to notice how 'unthemed' the rest of the ride is. Which it isn't imo, as they have carnival stuff plastered everywhere keeping in with it's theme. The ride established what it's set out to do/be, which is fun. I can just imagine some people trying to soak up the details, when they're supposed to be paying attention to the screens. If you want to ride a disney ride that has detail, go ride the Haunted Mansion or Pirates, and a countless other amount of their rides. TSM is about the game, and it's successful at what it's supposed to be about.

fauna

So, is this ride based on mice running around the back room of a bakery?

And (it was kind of dark, I had trouble seeing) are you shooting frosting at said mice? That are in the bakery? Where they make food?

Gross.

The Duck

I guess I'm just different. I guess I'm too caught up in actually playing the games and concentrating on what I'm supposed to be, to notice how 'unthemed' the rest of the ride is. Which it isn't imo, as they have carnival stuff plastered everywhere keeping in with it's theme. The ride established what it's set out to do/be, which is fun. I can just imagine some people trying to soak up the details, when they're supposed to be paying attention to the screens. If you want to ride a disney ride that has detail, go ride the Haunted Mansion or Pirates, and a countless other amount of their rides. TSM is about the game, and it's successful at what it's supposed to be about.

Agreed totally. The main purpose is the game. I suppose if you waited an hour and a half to ride and then you ignored the game play and just looked at the walls trying to find scenery and props, you would be greatly dissapointed. As always, if this isn't your cup of tea, then by all means, avoid it. Then the line will be that much shorter for me!:king:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Mods, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. It's kind of an oddball topic.

Looks like Toy Story Mania wasn't an exclusive Disney design.

Maus au Chocolat is located in Phantasialand in Germany, and opened this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGJTi7zHDj8

My theory:

So this explains why Midway Mania has crappy capacity then. Disney outsourced the ride system. The manufacturer of which gave them the ride system in use today. Had Disney designed it they would have made one with better capacity. It makes perfect sense.

Discuss.

Good Golly, that is crazy. It is the EXACT same ride. Wow.

I would love to know what the story here is. Where is Martin when we need him?

Because you are and they made no effort to hide it.

Another reason why I hate pixar and what they've done to the parks.

Just throw a movie in the mix and people will be happy, don't worry about the quality of the ride.

Really? You hate Pixar? What do you hate about Pixar? The fact that are the most creative, commercially and critically successful movie studio on earth? The fact that the head of the company, John Lasseter, is the closest thing to Walt himself that we have ever had? I have no idea how a Disney fan could hate Pixar, unless it is a totally unreasonable jealousy of what they accomplished, while Disney Animation faltered. Furthermore, Disney Animation is in the early stages of a revival since Lasseter took over. I don't want to derail the thread, but I just don't get you hating Pixar.

cowanfamily

The same people that bash TSMM, are the same ones that will sprint to get a fastpass when the park opens. They will never be happy. Then they will follow up with "we want the parks to be better". As stated earlier in other posts, if you dont like it, get out of line so someone else can ride.

SleepingMonk

The fact that are the most creative, commercially and critically successful movie studio on earth? The fact that the head of the company, John Lasseter, is the closest thing to Walt himself that we have ever had?.

The only fact in the above quote is their commercial success.

Everything else is your opinion, which of course you're entitled to.

I just happen to disagree.

the-reason14

Good Golly, that is crazy. It is the EXACT same ride. Wow.

I would love to know what the story here is. Where is Martin when we need him?

Really? You hate Pixar? What do you hate about Pixar? The fact that are the most creative, commercially and critically successful movie studio on earth? The fact that the head of the company, John Lasseter, is the closest thing to Walt himself that we have ever had? I have no idea how a Disney fan could hate Pixar, unless it is a totally unreasonable jealousy of what they accomplished, while Disney Animation faltered. Furthermore, Disney Animation is in the early stages of a revival since Lasseter took over. I don't want to derail the thread, but I just don't get you hating Pixar.

Well...........I guess it would have been better to keep Pixar out of WDW and DL, right? I mean, when you think about it, why implement something that's successful and people identify with? Makes no sense right? Even though I'm not a big fan of the Nemo ride at Epcot, it's better than what was originally there. I guess bringing more foot traffic to that area of FW was/is a problem. Same thing with TSM, it would have been better to just keep millionaire right? I mean, I remember the countless trip reports on here about how groundbreaking the show was, and how people would line up to watch it over and over again. :rolleyes:

I agree with you. There are some pixar related things that I don't really agree with, but TSM is NOT one of them. It's not just popular because it's a 'ride' or because it's Toy Story, it's just a fun game and that's really all it's supposed to be.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The only fact in the above quote is their commercial success.

Everything else is your opinion, which of course you're entitled to.

I just happen to disagree.

It is not my opinion that they are the most critically acclaimed studio. Look at their Academy awards nods and wins. I am not going to quote them individually because the list is staggeringly long.

Is it my opinion that they are also the most creative? Yes. But it is an opinion shared by many average people and critics alike.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom