Mary Poppins Sequel in the works

seascape

I really enjoyed the movie but not as much as the original. I remember walking out of Mary Poppins years ago singing Let's go fly a kite. Overall the music was nice but it is not the same. Now that does not mean I will not see it again because we have friends who want to see it and we did enjoy it enough to pay for a 2nd viewing.

WDWFREAK53

I may be saying something blasphemous here but there was very little about Mary Poppins Returns that I actually liked.

Pros:
1. Visuals. Visually this film was stunning (aside from the underwater sequence which looked pretty cheap).
2. Emily Blunt (for the most part...see "cons" below)
3. Final 30-35 minutes.

Cons:
1. Meryl Streep. Wow...that entire scene was HORRIBLE! I swear they were able to sign Meryl Streep and had to shoe-horn her in somehow. It really didn't fit at all.
2. The Songs. Not a single song was good (the final song was "OK"). None of these songs had you singing as you left the theater. Where were the songs of the same caliber as "Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious," "Let's Go Fly A Kite," and "Spoonful of Sugar?" Every song was just plain bad IMO.
3. Emily Blunt. She gets a pass for not having the same quality singing voice as the legend Julie Andrews. I would NEVER hold Emily Blunt to those standards. Emily Blunt is one of my favorite actresses. Where she still didn't "nail it" was in the mannerisms. Julie Andrews' Mary Poppins was always stern yet kind. Emily Blunt's Mary seemed to smile in every scene. That isn't Mary. Mary smiles but only when the job is done. I just feel like it missed the mark a little.
4. Miranda... I like the guy. His forced accent was awful though.
5. The line in the song about 2 wreaths and a fig leaf... This is a Mary Poppins movie right?

Ugh...I hate writing this because I REALLY had high hopes for this and Mary Poppins is my #1 favorite Disney movie. I heard Emily Blunt was cast and there was "no way this could be bad!" Such a letdown.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I 100% disagree with this. I found the songs to be on par with the original, "The Place Where Lost Things Go" alone is worth buying the soundtrack

I think the songs were decent actually...they have a bit of catchy/sticky quality to them.

The problem with this...as with all things disney...is it’s another remake.

And that is a huge problem because it’s done by a management not looking to stay around...so the don’t care.

We are getting to the point when your say “I really like _____insert Disney movie here_____” is responded to with “which one?”

That’s a longterm problem.

To be fair to Poppins...60 Years is the right time for a reboot. Not 15, 20 or....38....cough

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I just don't see this as a remake at all. It felt like a true sequel, in every definition of the word, to the original.

It’s was near the same story arc...the songs were 1:1 mirrors more or less of the originals...with modern technology

She comes, she fixes, they grow, she leaves...the “jack” character....

Try to build the mental bridge with me on this one.

It’s kinda like an episode of Scooby-Doo do...just wait till they pull the mask off the old guy.

And I kinda liked it...but I feel
Like the same story as in 2015. You can’t repackage the same movie and claim “all new”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Okay I will give you the fact some of the scenes are too "cut and paste." But this film isn't trying to be some groundbreaking moment. It's a tastefully done follow up to a masterpiece. If you were expecting a entirely new plot, well that's on you. I think it was obvious from the get go it was going to be Mary "saving" the family in the same vein as before.

Yeah...it’s a reboot...to put it succinctly.

And that is an alarming trend for Disney and no groundwork Bob

BUT...in this case it works because it’s been so long since they did the original. I like it for that reason.

Doing a live lion king...and Aladdin...and treasure planet?? Not so much. And to say nothing of outer space 😎

WDWFREAK53

I 100% disagree with this. I found the songs to be on par with the original, "The Place Where Lost Things Go" alone is worth buying the soundtrack

Agree to disagree there.

The Greatest Showman is a great musical. Every song on that is catchy and memorable. My 9 year old was singing those songs after first viewing and that is a musical that’s not even geared towards kids. She loves Mary Poppins and didn’t really like Mary Poppins Returns. I asked her what her favorite song was and she said she didn’t really remember them.

I went to see this with 9 other people and all of us left extremely disappointed. Mind you, we are all Mary Poppins fans.

I honestly think people love Mary Poppins so much and know that you can’t top it... so the shortcomings in this get a pass no matter how large those shortcomings are.

My opinion of course.

Sped2424

Original Poster
I may be saying something blasphemous here but there was very little about Mary
2. The Songs. Not a single song was good (the final song was "OK"). None of these songs had you singing as you left the theater. Where were the songs of the same caliber as "Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious," "Let's Go Fly A Kite," and "Spoonful of Sugar?" Every song was just plain bad IMO.

4. Miranda... I like the guy. His forced accent was awful though.
Ugh...I hate writing this because I REALLY had high hopes for this and Mary Poppins is my #1 favorite Disney movie. I heard Emily Blunt was cast and there was "no way this could be bad!" Such a letdown.
Blasphemous indeed. If you can hear trip a little light and feel no joy I don't know what to tell you! Also hating a forced accent in a poppins movie???????

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Except it isn't. A reboot happens to rekindle a long dead franchise, Poppins never died.

I think we are arguing semantics...54 years doesn’t imply a certain state of “rigor”??

I like the movie...it’s almost the same as the original...we can both like it for different reasons and disagree on other finer points

Rich Brownn

I love, love, loved this movie. It’s the exact film the world needs right now. However, I feel like there is a pretty significant plot hole here:

What happened to the bowl???
Topsy said to pick it up next week and it would be fixed. Now, if the kids can remember how to show Michael where that alley is....

erasure fan1

The problem with this...as with all things disney...is it’s another remake.

And that is a huge problem because it’s done by a management not looking to stay around...so the don’t care.

To be fair to Poppins...60 Years is the right time for a reboot. Not 15, 20 or....38....cough
Yes 60yrs is a good length of time for a reboot/remake. Of course I still have no real desire to see this but I give it the most slack of the reboot/remakes.

WDWFREAK53

Blasphemous indeed. If you can hear trip a little light and feel no joy I don't know what to tell you! Also hating a forced accent in a poppins movie???????

Haha...ok, sure...I'll give you the accent one... DVD's was awful as well. (But even Emily Blunt's accent in A Cover Is Not a Book is way over the top. Julie Andrew's never really stood out like that)
Just to see if I was just completely wrong, I decided to give the soundtrack a listen today.

Underneath the Lovely London Sky. Ughhh..
A Cover Is Not a Book. I couldn't make it through that one. The beginning is fine...the chorus is fine...but that whole "rap" just goes on for too long and it's too hard to even make out what they are saying.
Turning Turtle? Again...couldn't make it through that a second time.
The Place Where Lost Things Go. Meh
Trip a Little Light Fantastic is probably the only one that I actually even liked but even then, doesn't compare to Let's Go Fly a Kite, Supercali..., Spoonful of Sugar, Chim Chim Chireee....
Nowhere to Go But Up. This one is the most "Poppins" song of all of them.

So, after a second listen, I still stand by my assessment.

orky8

Yeah...it’s a reboot...to put it succinctly.

And that is an alarming trend for Disney and no groundwork Bob

BUT...in this case it works because it’s been so long since they did the original. I like it for that reason.

Doing a live lion king...and Aladdin...and treasure planet?? Not so much. And to say nothing of outer space 😎

My showing had previews for 5 movies, 3 of which were Disney. All the Disney ones were remakes. Feels like a company that has lost its creative mojo. Although it’s felt like that for a long time for us park lovers.

As to the movie, I thoroughly enjoyed it, but agree with others that the songs are not memorable.

erasure fan1

To be honest, I didn't either. I only went because my mom and sister wanted to see it. But I am so glad I gave it a chance. If you go in with an open mind and with understand it won't be like the original, and isn't trying to be, you'll love it.
It for sure won't be a movie I see in the theater but it will probably be a rental.

Rich Brownn

I think the issue people have with the songs is they lyrics are a bit more complicated than the original. The music is certainly memorable. But when the Sherman Bros. wrote songs they tended to keep the lyrics simple and often repeated within a chorus making it easy to remember. Take "A Spoonful of Sugar". In the chorus the phase 'medicine go down" is repeated 3 times, followed by 'Just a spoonful of sugar' again and then 'the medicine go down'. In the sequel the lyrics don't repeat as much so its harder to recall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom