Marvel's Fantastic Four

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
With all the mishaps of the MCU recently, one thing I'm not sure I've heard is people questioning the casting. Which is why I give them beyond the benefit of the doubt for whoever they cast at this point. I never got into F4 myself, but I do realize they are one of the big cards they have to play, so I can't imagine anyone cast here isn't A.) On board for a long haul and B.) anything but near-perfect for the role. This is about as vital as it comes for the MCU at this point.
Yikes…with all the mistakes of the tent pole studios than makes you MORE confident in their casting?

…I dunno…seems like the rubber has separated from the road in their minds

Hubris

Last edited:

Phicinfan

Its not so much the age difference. Sue and Reed in the comics do have an age gap. Its just Pedro Pascal does not scream Reed Richards. Josh Duhamel, Krasinski (Obviously), hell Armie Hammer give me more of a Reed vibe than Pedro. I do like Pedro, I just dont see Reed Richards. Now Pedro for Doctor Doom oh HELL YEAH!! He can chew up the scenery all day.
My issue with the cast is cost. I had hoped that Marvel would revert to what they did with Avengers and focused on talent that isn't costing huge prices. RDJ was in some hot water and not demanding big $$. No one really knew Chris Hemsworth or Chris Evans(although he had been Human Torch in FF).

Now they keep trying to get bigger names, which MIGHT bring draw but only increases the cost of the films. Another reason they better hit on this and really bring in the $$$

LSLS

Yikes…with all the mistakes of the then pope studios than makes you MORE confident in their casting?

…I dunno…seems like the rubber has separated from the road in their minds

Hubris
In that the actors are correct? Yeah, I am. I mean, you look at the movies and shows that did not do well, I don't think it was a casting issue. Ms. Marvel did not do well, but that casting was brilliant. I don't think Moon Knight really moved the needle much either (despite that being my favorite), and that was cast perfect. She-Hulk has been blasted by a ton of MCU fans, but most acknowledge she was a great casting still. Black Widow kind of started us down the path of movies people don't like, but Yelena was a great casting. The shortfalls have not been casting the wrong person, it's been hiring the wrong writers and not having the cohesive story. So do I have faith they cast the correct actors for the roles? Yes. But do I have faith the story is going to do them justice and start really putting things together? That's where I'm in a wait and see approach.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In that the actors are correct? Yeah, I am. I mean, you look at the movies and shows that did not do well, I don't think it was a casting issue. Ms. Marvel did not do well, but that casting was brilliant. I don't think Moon Knight really moved the needle much either (despite that being my favorite), and that was cast perfect. She-Hulk has been blasted by a ton of MCU fans, but most acknowledge she was a great casting still. Black Widow kind of started us down the path of movies people don't like, but Yelena was a great casting. The shortfalls have not been casting the wrong person, it's been hiring the wrong writers and not having the cohesive story. So do I have faith they cast the correct actors for the roles? Yes. But do I have faith the story is going to do them justice and start really putting things together? That's where I'm in a wait and see approach.

I suppose…I guess my expanded view of “casting” is eviscerating their stable of bankable star characters to where like…no one…is paying attention to marvel anymore.

But that’s more of a management/business decision it seems.

As far as fantastic four goes…I just don’t think it sells well as a movie. Comic book fans have always loved it…but we are now seeing there is a gigantic difference between the two

LSLS

I suppose…I guess my expanded view of “casting” is eviscerating their stable of bankable star characters to where like…no one…is paying attention to marvel anymore.

But that’s more of a management/business decision it seems.

As far as fantastic four goes…I just don’t think it sells well as a movie. Comic book fans have always loved it…but we are now seeing there is a gigantic difference between the two
I don't really disagree. If I count as an average fan (someone who grew up with cartoons on Saturday that has never read a comic), Fantastic 4 mean nothing to me. Never watched their shows or movies, never really cared for them or even knew the backstory. But I also have felt like I was more a minority. After all, you could have said the same thing about me with Iron Man 15 years ago. I feel they COULD kick something off with them (but also agree they are still holding their trump card).

But, I think that is an issue too (needing a movie to kick things off). I know we sort of disagree about losing Captain America and Iron Man in that I don't think them being ended was a bad thing in and of itself. But I think you needed to push on with established characters being the center of the future (Spiderman for instance, should have been in everything. Thor and even Hulk should have been parts of other movies, etc.). This has felt like a throw everything against the wall and hope something sticks scenario. Nothing has really stuck, and now they are in a situation where they have to push F4 fast and HOPE that I am in fact the minority. And if that is the case, you need to be prepared to pepper those characters into a BUNCH of your upcoming slate.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm just happy that in the art, Reed and Sue look like they're having fun and flirting. A happy married couple. That's rare to find in superhero or action flicks.

Last edited:

MarvelCharacterNerd

Really feels like this is just coasting on Pascal's popularity in other franchises rather than the best casting for the role. (I don't know anything about the other three.)

Guess we'll find out in a couple of years...

Screamface

The casting of Pedro is interesting. He never reads as intelligent on-screen or off-screen. I wonder if that will play into the choices they make with their interpretation of FF.

Jedijax719

Really don't expect it to get done in 18 months. Expect it'll get pushed.
If they've done most of the pre-production and assuming they have the script (which is extremely likely since they announced the main cast), they will probably film very very soon, like late spring or early summer. That will give them at least 8 months for post-production. They will easily be ready for release in July of next year.

doctornick

If they've done most of the pre-production and assuming they have the script (which is extremely likely since they announced the main cast), they will probably film very very soon, like late spring or early summer. That will give them at least 8 months for post-production. They will easily be ready for release in July of next year.
And that’s the kind of timeframe that the MCU typically had for their productions pre- pandemic

jpinkc

I will be thrilled if they treat it right. Its an ENSEMBLE CAST. Yes Reed is the leader of the team, but they are also a Family. No ONE character should be the focus. It should focus on the Group if you dont want to call it a Family. I saw lots of rumors saying otherwise and I hope thats not true.

capsshield

In the beginning the ff had two things going for them. They were a forged family trying to stay together and they were explorers. Reed and Sue were trying to be a couple and Ben and Johnny Friends or brothers.
They introduced the readers to the Marvel universe. They brought us to subterranean worlds, Laveria, Atlantis, wakanda, Attillan, Monster Island, The Negative zone, the Blue Zone on the moon, and brought the cosmos to Earth.

Marvel needs to get this one right.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Deadline reports Julia Garner has joined the cast of The Fantastic Four as the Silver Surfer.

"With the four actors set to play the iconic members of the super team, Marvel Studios‘ The Fantastic Four now has its sights set on who will play Silver Surfer, and it looks like they are going with one of the towns biggest rising stars.

Sources tell Deadline that Emmy winner Julia Garner is set to play the iconic comic book character in Marvel Studios’ The Fantastic Four. Pedro Pascal will play Reed Richards (aka Mr. Fantastic), Vanessa Kirby is Sue Storm (aka the Invisible Woman), Joseph Quinn is Johnny Storm (aka the Human Torch) and Ebon Moss-Bachrach is Ben Grimm (aka the Thing)."

doctornick

Not a good move on their part. Given the scrutiny they are under by the general public, I think gender swapping a character is not ideal and will turn some potential customers off. If they really wanted a female herald why not use Nova (Frankie Raye)?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not a good move on their part. Given the scrutiny they are under by the general public, I think gender swapping a character is not ideal and will turn some potential customers off. If they really wanted a female herald why not use Nova (Frankie Raye)?
Well since they aren't doing the Norrin Radd version I'm not sure how its gender swapping. This will be the Shalla-Bal version who in the comics is Norrin's lover and also becomes as a twin herald along side Norrin. I'm guessing they'll just drop the whole Norrin love story and just have her be the primary herald.

doctornick

Well since they aren't doing the Norrin Radd version I'm not sure how its gender swapping. This will be the Shalla-Bal version who in the comics is Norrin's lover and also becomes as a twin herald along side Norrin. I'm guessing they'll just drop the whole Norrin love story and just have her be the primary herald.
I understand this, but it will still be viewed as off brand Silver Surfer. There’s already complains about having to resort to lesser characters as to why the MCU is floundering and this isn’t going to help.

Personally, I don’t care who they use, but this seems like a poor decision to me if they hope to reverse their box office issues.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom