MARVEL's Blade starring Mahershala Ali

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I've heard that they keep reworking the script because they are making a Blade movie, but the main focus of the movie isn't Blade. Similar to Dr. S:MoM, where the focus was on Scarlet Witch, not Dr. Strange, and the Loki series was more about Sylvie.
I think most of those rumors have been squashed for the most part, at least for now. The film at this point from what I read is rumored to be the launching of the Midnight Sons, but was focused on Blade in this initial movie.

Ghost93

Mahershala Ali and Mia Goth are amazing actors who would be great in an R-rated adult/horror-like version of Blade, but I just don't know if Disney is willing to commit to that. Maybe if Deadpool and Wolverine is a huge success, Disney might feel more comfortable with an R-rated blade.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Mahershala Ali and Mia Goth are amazing actors who would be great in an R-rated adult/horror-like version of Blade, but I just don't know if Disney is willing to commit to that. Maybe if Deadpool and Wolverine is a huge success, Disney might feel more comfortable with an R-rated blade.
Since Disney had committed to a R-rated Deadpool since day one I don't see any reason why you think they would be hesitant with a R-rated Blade movie. The rumors have been this would be R-rated.

DKampy

Since Disney had committed to a R-rated Deadpool since day one I don't see any reason why you think they would be hesitant with a R-rated Blade movie. The rumors have been this would be R-rated.
I agree… I know Disney had originally said Deadpool would be their only rated R movies…however I would not be surprised if that is the reason for the reworking… It seems Disney might be willing to go rated R these days if the material works better as R…. As evident by Echo getting TVMA

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I agree… I know Disney had originally said Deadpool would be their only rated R movies…however I would not be surprised if that is the reason for the reworking… It seems Disney might be willing to go rated R these days if the material works better as R…. As evident by Echo getting TVMA
Agreed, though I don't remember them ever saying that Deadpool with be their "only" R-rated movie in the MCU, but could be wrong.

DKampy

Agreed, though I don't remember them ever saying that Deadpool with be their "only" R-rated movie in the MCU, but could be wrong.
They may not have… I think I read that somewhere when it was confirmed that Deadpool was rated R…but it could have been assumed in the article…. There is a lot of false assumptions that people run with these days

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They may not have… I think I read that somewhere when it was confirmed that Deadpool was rated R…but it could have been assumed in the article…. There is a lot of false assumptions that people run with these days
Agreed, too many just see "Disney" and assume the whole company isn't willing to do anything non-family friendly. All along not realizing that the company has a long history with creating non-family friendly content.

LSLS

I think most of those rumors have been squashed for the most part, at least for now. The film at this point from what I read is rumored to be the launching of the Midnight Sons, but was focused on Blade in this initial movie.
See though I think this is why you see the complaints of there not being an overall vision for the MCU right now. So we now have the Midnight Sons (honestly had to look up who they were), the New Avengers, and the Thunderbolts (think that's what they are called) as groups running around, on top of the characters that have come over from Phase 4. And that's not even including the Fantastic 4 and eventually the X-Men who are already being teased. I honestly could see the appeal of the Midnight Sons as people love Anti-Heroes, but I think you need to at least let one other group you've created play out first. They just have too much going on, and things don't come out fast enough for it all.

Ghost93

See though I think this is why you see the complaints of there not being an overall vision for the MCU right now. So we now have the Midnight Sons (honestly had to look up who they were), the New Avengers, and the Thunderbolts (think that's what they are called) as groups running around, on top of the characters that have come over from Phase 4. And that's not even including the Fantastic 4 and eventually the X-Men who are already being teased. I honestly could see the appeal of the Midnight Sons as people love Anti-Heroes, but I think you need to at least let one other group you've created play out first. They just have too much going on, and things don't come out fast enough for it all.
Don't forget the Young Avengers and the Eternals and the new Guardians of the Galaxy team! Maybe even Marve's Defenders from Netflix (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, etc.) might make a comeback.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So what should they do, not introduce new characters and just stick with the same old characters for the next 20 movies?

And then what do you do about the complaints that it takes too long for them to introduce fan favorite characters because they spend too much time on the old characters and not spend enough time on introducing new characters?

brideck

So what should they do, not introduce new characters and just stick with the same old characters for the next 20 movies?

And then what do you do about the complaints that it takes too long for them to introduce fan favorite characters because they spend too much time on the old characters and not spend enough time on introducing new characters?

I really think they need to stop building around/toward massive franchise-wide crossovers. Those are generally the less interesting stories in the comics anyway. Like, sure, we know all of these heroes are in the same universe, so drop in appearances/cameos/references across franchises where it makes sense for the stories being told, but just use your massive roster of heroes (new and old) to tell interesting, marketable stories that you think deserve to be told. It doesn't need to be (and in truth, never really was) part #17 in an ongoing 24-part saga.

There's no real reason to try to fit Blade into some growing mega-story. Just decide what characters you want to use in the supernatural corner of your universe and tell a cool, action-packed vampire story. If it's well-received, expand on that corner of the universe in your next supernatural movie -- be it Blade 2, or something else.

LSLS

Not at all, but I think I would slowly introduce them, and give them a bit more time. I think you are mistaking me for one who doesn't think they could ever move on from characters. But I think we are at a point now where it's throw everything at once, and it's just too much to follow. For example, I like how they started the setup with the Thunderbolt group with introducing them through more established characters. But I would have preferred we run with that a bit before moving on to 2 other new groups. I mean, we saw all of them at the beginning of Phase 4, and now we've gone through what, like 15 movies/shows since any one of them has shown up? It feels like there should have been more to establish that group before leaving them for so long. In the meantime, we've built up this Young Avengers group, who it looks like we are doing the same thing to. Now we are talking doing the same thing with Blade. To me, it'd make more sense to spend some time on each one of these groups with some meetups before diving into a bunch of other stuff. Not that they can only have a phase with like the Thunderbolts, but I think there needs more of a middle ground. And to me, that would mean holding off on creating ALL these groups at the same time. Get the Thunderbolts movie away before having Kahn start setting up the Young Avengers. Get them a big meetup before having the Blade group start going.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not at all, but I think I would slowly introduce them, and give them a bit more time. I think you are mistaking me for one who doesn't think they could ever move on from characters. But I think we are at a point now where it's throw everything at once, and it's just too much to follow. For example, I like how they started the setup with the Thunderbolt group with introducing them through more established characters. But I would have preferred we run with that a bit before moving on to 2 other new groups. I mean, we saw all of them at the beginning of Phase 4, and now we've gone through what, like 15 movies/shows since any one of them has shown up? It feels like there should have been more to establish that group before leaving them for so long. In the meantime, we've built up this Young Avengers group, who it looks like we are doing the same thing to. Now we are talking doing the same thing with Blade. To me, it'd make more sense to spend some time on each one of these groups with some meetups before diving into a bunch of other stuff. Not that they can only have a phase with like the Thunderbolts, but I think there needs more of a middle ground. And to me, that would mean holding off on creating ALL these groups at the same time. Get the Thunderbolts movie away before having Kahn start setting up the Young Avengers. Get them a big meetup before having the Blade group start going.
The problem with what you're proposing is that it would take too long before introducing new characters/teams. For example you want them to work with the "Thunderbolt" team for awhile before introducing a new team. Ok, so that would be at least a 5-10 movie arc over at least a 5-10 year period (more if you go based on past MCU Phases). That is too long to wait for another team to be introduced. That would mean for example you're not getting X-Men until 2035 at the earliest.

At some point the MCU was going to have to branch off from the core team of the main story arc and have other teams with their own stories, just like the comics. You cannot just stick with a single team in a single story arc format for forever, it just takes too long to introduce new characters/new teams. And that would sideline too many fan favorite characters for too long.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I really think they need to stop building around/toward massive franchise-wide crossovers. Those are generally the less interesting stories in the comics anyway. Like, sure, we know all of these heroes are in the same universe, so drop in appearances/cameos/references across franchises where it makes sense for the stories being told, but just use your massive roster of heroes (new and old) to tell interesting, marketable stories that you think deserve to be told. It doesn't need to be (and in truth, never really was) part #17 in an ongoing 24-part saga.

There's no real reason to try to fit Blade into some growing mega-story. Just decide what characters you want to use in the supernatural corner of your universe and tell a cool, action-packed vampire story. If it's well-received, expand on that corner of the universe in your next supernatural movie -- be it Blade 2, or something else.
Well the problem is you lose the mass appeal if you don't have that massive franchise-wide cross over event. So while they might be less interesting from a story line perspective they are the major money makers of the MCU.

To me it makes the most sense if you have the individual stories of the different teams leading to a big event. So that way you have enough to keep audiences interested while still allowing them to come in and out without losing much. Not interested in Thunderbolts, ok here is Young Avengers, not interested in that, ok here is Midnight Sons, etc. Follow the story line you want and stay for the major event. And then if you want to go back and catch up on the others after, they are there for you on D+. Its a win for everyone...

LSLS

The problem with what you're proposing is that it would take too long before introducing new characters/teams. For example you want them to work with the "Thunderbolt" team for awhile before introducing a new team. Ok, so that would be at least a 5-10 movie arc over at least a 5-10 year period (more if you go based on past MCU Phases). That is too long to wait for another team to be introduced. That would mean for example you're not getting X-Men until 2035 at the earliest.

At some point the MCU was going to have to branch off from the core team of the main story arc and have other teams with their own stories, just like the comics. You cannot just stick with a single team in a single story arc format for forever, it just takes too long to introduce new characters/new teams. And that would sideline too many fan favorite characters for too long.
I mean, you can if you don't need to have all the different characters and just make less more of a focus. But, I don't think you need to complete an Arc before introducing more either. But I do think you need to establish a bit before moving on. Have a movie. Have a bit more crossover as you go. What made the MCU get as big as it did was how it all came together (and I know, it didn't start that way, but that doesn't negate what it became). I see it as a mistake trying to take a ton of branches that aren't really connecting. Keep in mind, this is from a non-comic follower who got into the MCU later, so much more of a casual follower, which I would think is who they really need to get on board.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I mean, you can if you don't need to have all the different characters and just make less more of a focus. But, I don't think you need to complete an Arc before introducing more either. But I do think you need to establish a bit before moving on. Have a movie. Have a bit more crossover as you go. What made the MCU get as big as it did was how it all came together (and I know, it didn't start that way, but that doesn't negate what it became). I see it as a mistake trying to take a ton of branches that aren't really connecting. Keep in mind, this is from a non-comic follower who got into the MCU later, so much more of a casual follower, which I would think is who they really need to get on board.
Why do you think they can't all come together for an event type of film if they have multiple teams going at once? This is exactly what they do in the comics, they have the different comics for the individual story arcs and then have event cross-over comics for the major events.

So they have a set of movies for the Thunderbolts, and then a set of movies for the Young Avengers, etc. and then have a huge cross-over event where they all come together. Just because they didn't previously focus on multiple teams in the MCU doesn't mean they can't in the future.

brideck

To me it makes the most sense if you have the individual stories of the different teams leading to a big event. So that way you have enough to keep audiences interested while still allowing them to come in and out without losing much. Not interested in Thunderbolts, ok here is Young Avengers, not interested in that, ok here is Midnight Sons, etc. Follow the story line you want and stay for the major event. And then if you want to go back and catch up on the others after, they are there for you on D+. Its a win for everyone...

I don't hate this idea at all, and it is more or less how comic readership works. It's more the constant need to add fluff unrelated to the story being told in order to serve that future crossover that's the problem for me. Just let the crossover movies deal with the big crossover things.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don't hate this idea at all, and it is more or less how comic readership works. It's more the constant need to add fluff unrelated to the story being told in order to serve that future crossover that's the problem for me. Just let the crossover movies deal with the big crossover things.
Variety is the spice of life, its that "fluff" as you call it to me that is what adds the contextual elements to the overall story.

I understand that some, maybe such as yourself, just want to get right down to the core of the story. But to me, just like life, its what happens outside the main story that is what is most interesting. Its those side quests, the road less taken, type of stories that I find most interesting.

brideck

I understand that some, maybe such as yourself, just want to get right down to the core of the story. But to me, just like life, its what happens outside the main story that is what is most interesting. Its those side quests, the road less taken, type of stories that I find most interesting.

I'm definitely not an anti-color/flavor person when it comes to stories. Maybe it just comes down to that I don't think the stories in this particular universe have been very well executed. Some of that comes from them not having written complete stories before filming, some of that comes from being weighed down by the universe-wide story that needs to be serviced in sometimes inane ways.

To bring it back to Blade, you can do all sorts of world-building with a pretty broad set of characters, all centered around a BA vampire/hunter, but why would it have to say anything about (formerly) Kang or (presently) Secret Wars?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom