MARVEL's Blade starring Mahershala Ali

Tha Realest

OR... the delay in production has those attached to it bailing for more immediate work.

Why assume the worst?
Because it was announced five years ago, the script still isn’t finished, it’s about to have its third director attached (maybe), and the lead is 50, or 8 years older than Snipes when he starred in his last Blade film.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Because it was announced five years ago, the script still isn’t finished, it’s about to have its third director attached (maybe), and the lead is 50, or 8 years older than Snipes when he starred in his last Blade film.
I know someone who didn't read the linked article!!

MoonRakerSCM

I understand that someone *could* think that there's some sort of problem as being *possible.*
Why are you saying this? It's so weird.

There's no *could* think some sort of problem as *possible*...

The film was to start production in fall 2022, lost a huge creative force, then got delayed due to strikes, and has now lost rhe replacement creative force. Those arent *possible* problems. They've happened.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You know why? Because it's a project that a world leading entertainment company should have down pat concerning how it progresses. Instead of going normally, it has now lost not 1 but 2 project managers.

Regardless of the reasoning, it's not normal, it's not positive, and it shows the production is a mess/disjointed/confused/whatever word you want to use aka 'chaos'.
Here, you're basically saying a big company like Disney shouldv'e handled this... down pat.

Why are you saying this? It's so weird.

There's no *could* think some sort of problem as *possible*...

The film was to start production in fall 2022, lost a huge creative force, then got delayed due to strikes, and has now lost rhe replacement creative force. Those arent *possible* problems. They've happened.
Here, you then list problems that any studio could have faced (and often do). Again, these are the problems laid out in the link I posted, so, I know about them, because, I read the links I post. But your first post glosses over actual problems that a studio could have had because of real world issues.

You basically changed the goal post... on yourself.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
From what I've read Demange is fairly hard to work with as a director. So possible he clashed with cast and crew, and so both he and Marvel decided to part ways as it wasn't the best fit. Schedules can also be a factor, as delays happen he might have been committed to other projects that had since taken him away leading him to leave the project.

Personally I wouldn't call that chaos, but if that is what some want to call it I don't hold that against anyone. The only thing I hope is that they find a new director quickly and get to filming. This movie will probably be delayed again into 2026 as Marvel only wants to have a max of 3 films per year, I would guest February 2026 but we'll see.

Tha Realest

I know someone who didn't read the linked article!!
I read it - I just find it unpersuasive in support of your “no reason for pessimism” approach.

This production has a lot working against it. It now has to find another director, its third. It’s had a half dozen scriptwriters. The next director would seemingly want more input on the story, leading to further delays, or will be a hired gun type that’ll shoot what’s been approved.

There are few films that have gone through such a production process and have 1) actually been made, or 2) actually turned out good.

Screamface

A Blade film should be hard. It isn't trying to ice skate uphill.

The entire direction of the MCU at the moment is failing, and one has to assume this is why they can't settle on a direction for Blade, because ultimately it doesn't fit the direction they have been heading with the MCU. As it isn't a franchise lead by a young women. Which is why scripts focussing on Blade's daughter have been stalling the development.

One also has to assume with the struggling direction of the MCU, schedules and projects changing. There probably isn't an easy way to introduce the X-Men and Vampires into it. Which is fine, don't integrate it. Have it stand alone.

Anyway, well all know the inevitable. This will become a lame Disney+ series if it ever sees the light of day.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
What's funny is on the comics side Marvel just started a new event series called Blood Hunt. Classic Marvel vampire story, the whole world goes dark and vampires come out and take over the world. And the Avengers and Blade, as well as others, have to save the world. I haven't read it as there is no digital release yet, but they should really turn this into a movie(s) for the MCU.

Casper Gutman

We know Feige has recently returned to day-to-day oversight of the MCU with a mandate to bring existing projects in line with his vision. Why is anyone surprised films are being retooled?

Screamface

😂

There have already been two excellent Blade films and a so-so series. I’ll be interested to see where this falls, if it ever sees the light of day.

Which it can! Because he is a daywalker.

You also watched the TV series? I thought I was the only one!

I know I thought the show was alright, but my memory at this point doesn't extend much further than the main actress was hot. Which might speak to the age I was when I watched it.

I don't know why Disney wouldn't just go to David S. Goyer and Guillermo del Toro and say, "Make another."

Serpico Jones

You also watched the TV series? I thought I was the only one!

I know I thought the show was alright, but my memory at this point doesn't extend much further than the main actress was hot. Which might speak to the age I was when I watched it.

I don't know why Disney wouldn't just go to David S. Goyer and Guillermo del Toro and say, "Make another."
Because that would make too much sense. Also, Guillermo del Toro is not a Disney director since he actually has a vision and a point of view.

SosoDude

I've heard that they keep reworking the script because they are making a Blade movie, but the main focus of the movie isn't Blade. Similar to Dr. S:MoM, where the focus was on Scarlet Witch, not Dr. Strange, and the Loki series was more about Sylvie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom