MARVEL's Blade starring Mahershala Ali

MickeyMouse10

He certainly looks the part, but he's too damn old (48). They should have cast someone younger in the role. Wesley Snipes was 35 when he first played The Daywalker.

He's so old I used to watch him 18 years ago on the show "The 4400". Another strike against him is he's already been in the Marvel Universe. Ali was in the Netflix show "Luke Cage" as one of his main villains, Cottenmouth.

Last edited:

Lucky Rabbit

He certainly looks the part, but he's too damn old (48). They should have cast someone younger in the role. Wesley Snipes was 35 when he first played The Daywalker.

He's so old I used to watch him 18 years ago on the show "The 4400". Another strike against him is he's already been in the Marvel Universe. Ali was in the Netflix show "Luke Cage" as one of his main villains, Cottenmouth.
The Netflix shows didn’t take place in the main timeline of the MCU. So I’m not sure it matters. Alfre Woodard played Mariah Dillard on Luke Cage, but then was the mom who confronted Tony in Civil War.

There have been instances of actors being recasted in the 616: Gemma Chan played Sersi in Eternals, but this was after playing Minn-Erva in Captain Marvel. The actress who played Star Lord’s mom originally had a small role in the first Captain America. Michelle Yeoh was a Ravager in Guardians 2, but then was cast as Shang-Chi’s aunt Ying Nan.

MickeyMouse10

The Netflix shows didn’t take place in the main timeline of the MCU. So I’m not sure it matters. Alfre Woodard played Mariah Dillard on Luke Cage, but then was the mom who confronted Tony in Civil War.

There have been instances of actors being recasted in the 616: Gemma Chan played Sersi in Eternals, but this was after playing Minn-Erva in Captain Marvel. The actress who played Star Lord’s mom originally had a small role in the first Captain America. Michelle Yeoh was a Ravager in Guardians 2, but then was cast as Shang-Chi’s aunt Ying Nan.

Yeah, that's true. But you'd figure since it's a Marvel production and on D+ it's all linked now.

I guess you can always say they are variants from the multiverse though. Which is what they seem to be doing with the Daredevil character on She-Hulk. They've changed his outfit and sense of humor to emphasize it isn't the same character.

But in turn do you lose a bit of what people fell in love with (Daredevil on Netflix). And in Mr. Ali's case make it harder to see him as the character by casting him in multiple roles.

Ali's age though, is perhaps an even bigger concern (48). He is 13 years older than Wesley Snipes was, and even 7 years older than Snipes was in the third and final Blade movie.

Lucky Rabbit

Yeah, that's true. But you'd figure since it's a Marvel production and on D+ it's all linked now.

I guess you can always say they are variants from the multiverse though. Which is what they seem to be doing with the Daredevil character on She-Hulk. They've changed his outfit and sense of humor to emphasize it isn't the same character.

But in turn do you lose a bit of what people fell in love with (Daredevil on Netflix). And in Mr. Ali's case make it harder to see him as the character by casting him in multiple roles.

Ali's age though, is perhaps an even bigger concern (48). He is 13 years older than Wesley Snipes was, and even 7 years older than Snipes was in the third and final Blade movie.
Marvel TV is not the same as Marvel Studios. Feige clashed with the TV side a lot, and he chose to ignore everything they did. It’s why there’s not a bunch of Inhumans running around the MCU as they did in Shield.

I don’t get why you’re concerned about his age. Samuel L. Jackson turns 74 this year. He was 60 when Iron Man 1 came out. If it was a role like Wolverine or Thor that required an insane workout regimen for the actor, ya they may not want to do that 10+ years at that age. Just give Mahershala a leather jacket and he’s good to go.

MickeyMouse10

I don’t get why you’re concerned about his age. Samuel L. Jackson turns 74 this year. He was 60 when Iron Man 1 came out. If it was a role like Wolverine or Thor that required an insane workout regimen for the actor, ya they may not want to do that 10+ years at that age. Just give Mahershala a leather jacket and he’s good to go.

It's alright for Nick Fury because he's a human. But Blade is supposed to age slowly because he's a Daywalker. If Mahershala is much older looking in 8 years they'll have to recast yet again.

So it would have been better to cast someone in his 30's. This way you could have him for 20+ years. Like with Hugh Jackman, who was only 32 in the first X-men.

Lucky Rabbit

It's alright for Nick Fury because he's a human. But Blade is supposed to age slowly because he's a Daywalker. If Mahershala is much older looking in 8 years they'll have to recast yet again.

So it would have been better to cast someone in his 30's. This way you could have him for 20+ years. Like with Hugh Jackman, who was only 32 in the first X-men.
Thor is suppose to be a God that has a much longer life span than humans or vampires. I don’t think they’ll recast him either. Personally I think it’s a non issue. Between makeup and special effects they’ll be able to figure it out.

Wolverine ages much slower than everyone else. Just look at Hugh in X-Men 2000 vs Days of Future past. If we had to keep the actor in the X-Men 2000 time frame, Fox would have recasted him over and over.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I have no issue with the repeat casting of Ali who was terrific in the fantastic Luke Cage show but that was another multiverse. However I agree with the concern at this point about his age for the role. I would think someone more like Aldis Hodge or David Ajala (both 36) seem better suited.

I rewatched Blade and MAN does it completely hold up all these years later! In large part because of a terrific cast, starting with Wesley Snipes. I'd forgotten how great he was in those action sequences. They've got a high bar here for the remake.

MickeyMouse10

Wolverine ages much slower than everyone else. Just look at Hugh in X-Men 2000 vs Days of Future past. If we had to keep the actor in the X-Men 2000 time frame, Fox would have recasted him over and over.

That's my point, he was 32 in the first movie. So you could have 20 years with the same person and character. For a person that is 48 you can't have him be Blade at 68. It's automatically giving it a short shelf life.

With that being said though I do think he'll be great as Blade. It's just what are you going to do with him, 3 films again?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That's my point, he was 32 in the first movie. So you could have 20 years with the same person and character. For a person that is 48 you can't have him be Blade at 68. It's automatically giving it a short shelf life.

With that being said though I do think he'll be great as Blade. It's just what are you going to do with him, 3 films again?
If the 80 yr old Harrison Ford can still do action scenes in Indy 5 I think the in better shape 48 yr old Mahershala can safely play Blade for at least 10-15 years without much problem.

Not to mention that Hugh is now coming back again to play Wolverine at 53 (56 by the time it comes out), so yeah age isn't the defining factor any more.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"In the wake of parting ways with director Bassim Tariq two weeks ago, the studio is pressing pause on the vampire adventure thriller that is to star Oscar winner Mahershala Ali. Marvel is temporarily shutting down production-related activities in Atlanta, where the project was to have shot starting in November, while it conducts a search for a filmmaker and further develops it.

Crew members were notified Tuesday, according to a source.

The studio is hoping to restart the production in early 2023. Blade currently has a release date of Nov. 3, 2023, but it is unlikely to be ready by then. Marvel had no comment on the release date.

Blade had seen its start of production shift at least a couple of times as it underwent several rounds of script rewrites. Beau DeMayo, who has worked on shows such as Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, The Witcher and its animated feature spinoff, as well as Marvel’s own Moon Knight, is the current writer.

When Tariq left the project, many presumed that a director would be quickly slotted in so the production wouldn’t miss too much time. But in the two weeks that have followed, it became clear that Marvel wanted to slow down and deepen the search. At the same occasion, the studio thought it should take the time to coagulate other aspects of the feature project.

“They want to really get it right,” said one source."

MickeyMouse10

3f40602058a74926bbddbd33d9d81006c6-22-true-detective-makeup.rsquare.w700.jpg

I found a pic of what Mahershala Ali will look like when they start filming again.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well we know why this one is moving. Having to get a new director does put a bit of a damper on things.
Well the rumor that the script was only 90 pages doesn't help either. One page of dialog usually equals to about one minute of screen time. So just on based on just the number of page it would be only a 90 minute movie. However we know that Blade isn't going to be dialog heavy. So those pages were rumored to be mostly action scenes, and you're looking at more like a 75 minute movie.

So yeah not good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom