Marvel Studios Developing Asian Superhero Film ‘Shang-Chi’

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I was recapping Iron Man 1 because you said that Shang-Chi would be the first time we see the real Ten Rings. The real Ten Rings are a large, or very small part, in Iron Man 1, 2 and Ant-Man. Shang-Chi will be the origin story of the Ten Rings (the group and the alien jewelry).
I see your point, however my point still stands. If you actually go back to those films the Ten Rings was a small portion of the story, some even just a passing reference, whereas Shang-Chi is the first film where they (the real organization anyways) are front-and-center.

Even in Iron Man 1 it was actually Obadiah Stane who was behind the whole plot against Tony, not the Ten Rings. Who by the way also killed that Cell including their leader Raza. So in reality that Cell is pretty much gone.

DCLcruiser

I see your point, however my point still stands. If you actually go back to those films the Ten Rings was a small portion of the story, some even just a passing reference, whereas Shang-Chi is the first film where they (the real organization anyways) are front-and-center.

Even in Iron Man 1 it was actually Obadiah Stane who was behind the whole plot against Tony, not the Ten Rings. Who by the way also killed that Cell including their leader Raza. So in reality that Cell is pretty much gone.
I'm with you.

I hope they go into the alien nature of the rings themselves, in addition to the group.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm with you.

I hope they go into the alien nature of the rings themselves, in addition to the group.
I suspect they will as the trailer shows what appears to be Wenwu fighting through time with the rings activated.

What is interesting is that they've changed the rings from being worn on the fingers, to being more like bracelets worn on the arm.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

This trailer confuses me. I don't know who this person is or why I should care about him or this story. Out of all the Marvel Trailers this one is the only one that does nothing for me or makes me want to go see it. I don't know what this movie is or supposed to be.

Darkprime

This trailer confuses me. I don't know who this person is or why I should care about him or this story. Out of all the Marvel Trailers this one is the only one that does nothing for me or makes me want to go see it. I don't know what this movie is or supposed to be.

This. Everyone's saying how great it is but I feel like they don't want to say anything negative and come across as racist or whatever. I honestly don't see anything special about it. And get the feeling this could be the MCU's first flop financially in a while. It will probably review well with critics though. However I remember when the movie was announced at SDCC 2019 the reaction on Chinese social media was mixed to negative. The Chinese not so surprisingly hate being pandered to.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

This. Everyone's saying how great it is but I feel like they don't want to say anything negative and come across as racist or whatever. I honestly don't see anything special about it. And get the feeling this could be the MCU's first flop financially in a while. It will probably review well with critics though. However I remember when the movie was announced at SDCC 2019 the reaction on Chinese social media was mixed to negative. The Chinese not so surprisingly hate being pandered to.
It has nothing to do with race for me, its nothing about this says " superhero" film to me. This guy does not have a costume. Its just a dude who can do martial arts. ok, he would have gotten dusted by Thanos in 5 seconds hand to hand. what is he gonna do in a Avenger's level threat? I hate heroes who don't have a superhero name. Which is why I find Luke Cage, Jessica Jones boring. Is Shang Chi is his name or his superhero name? I think it is stupid to bring the 10 rings back now. You had your chance in Iron Man 3 to have the Mandarin be the leader and shows us the power of the rings but no. you turned Iron Man's greatest enemy into a joke. You had PERFECT casting with Ben Kingsley but if you have "THE REAL MANDARIN" show up now, won't be any where as good as Ben. I don't know what this movie is or should care and the title of the film is too long and complicated.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Well if the rumors are true Trevor is to make an appearance in Shang-Chi. We'll have to see if that comes true or not, but its at least out there that he'll show up.
Yes, I did see that as well and I hope it's true. I know a lot of people dog iron man 3, but I didn't mind the fake out Mandarin and Trevor.

erasure fan1

You had your chance in Iron Man 3 to have the Mandarin be the leader and shows us the power of the rings but no. you turned Iron Man's greatest enemy into a joke. You had PERFECT casting with Ben Kingsley but if you have "THE REAL MANDARIN" show up now, won't be any where as good as Ben.
As I said above, I don't mind the fake out. The biggest issue I have with bringing the Mandarin back now, is Iron man is dead. And like you said, it his biggest enemy. So while the fake out was fine for me, I do regret we won't see the real Mandarin and Iron man go toe to toe. And yea, Ben Kingsley is awesome.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

As I said above, I don't mind the fake out. The biggest issue I have with bringing the Mandarin back now, is Iron man is dead. And like you said, it his biggest enemy. So while the fake out was fine for me, I do regret we won't see the real Mandarin and Iron man go toe to toe. And yea, Ben Kingsley is awesome.
I hate the fake out. That would be like Heath Ledger's Joker just being some actor and Maroni was behind it all. "I AM THE JOKER!"

MarvelCharacterNerd

Personally, I HATED the supervillain fakeout in Iron Man 3. And I didn't love it when it was repeated in Spider-Man: Far From Home. Or WandaVision. So help me - if any other villain turns out to be an actor... or filmmaker... or unappreciated screenwriter's regular barista... lol I'm gonna scream!

But... the stuff they did afterward with Trevor just had me in tears laughing. I love watching actors playing indulgent actors. It's so meta. Especially one as classy as Ben Kingsley playing someone so low-rent as Trevor. So as much as I disliked the storyline overall... I kind of think I'd get a kick out of seeing Trevor again. If anyone could talk his way out of someone killing him (other than Luis 😍 lol), it would be Trevor!

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Personally, I HATED the supervillain fakeout in Iron Man 3. And I didn't love it when it was repeated in Spider-Man: Far From Home. Or WandaVision. So help me - if any other villain turns out to be an actor... or filmmaker... or unappreciated screenwriter's regular barista... lol I'm gonna scream!

But... the stuff they did afterward with Trevor just had me in tears laughing. I love watching actors playing indulgent actors. It's so meta. Especially one as classy as Ben Kingsley playing someone so low-rent as Trevor. So as much as I disliked the storyline overall... I kind of think I'd get a kick out of seeing Trevor again. If anyone could talk his way out of someone killing him (other than Luis 😍 lol), it would be Trevor!
To be fair in Spider-Man: Far From Home that is not on the same level or a fake out really. That is Mysterio. That is exactly how the character should be portrayed and who the character is. He is a liar who uses illusions to make himself seem powerful. They got Mysterio 100% dead on.

Jedijax719

There's definitely a "been there, done that" feel to this movie. It's a martial arts movie that didn't feel any different from a Jackie Chan film, but without the flare. Since this is Marvel, there needs to be something showcased that makes it stand out from other martial arts films. There were very quick glimpses of some world building but no lore in the teaser. I'm guessing they will save that for the actual trailer (probably coming in July). However, I would guess that the bits of world building (the woman in the yellow dress, the battle scene with the lion/tiger(?)) are parts of exposition/backstory about the 10 rings.

DCLcruiser

I suspect they will as the trailer shows what appears to be Wenwu fighting through time with the rings activated.

What is interesting is that they've changed the rings from being worn on the fingers, to being more like bracelets worn on the arm.
My thoughts...

1) Moving from rings to bracelets helps to differentiate them from the infinity stones which were mostly worn on knuckles (close to rings).

2) Bracelets can be sold as toys w/o risk of choking or being too small to notice. Plus, bracelets can be sold to a wide range of ages and even at Alex and Ani/Pandora to adults/teens.

Now, regarding the super power aspect, it appears in the trailer that the rings give the wearer the ability to control elements, example shown is water. So... that could lead to a more supernatural/powerful capability for Shang-Chi if in the end he gets the rings. Plus, there are foo-dogs lol.

Last edited:

G00fyDad

My thoughts...

1) Moving from rings to bracelets helps to differentiate them from the infinity stones which were mostly worn on knuckles (close to rings).

2) Bracelets can be sold as toys w/o risk of choking or being too small to notice. Plus, bracelets can be sold to a wide range of ages and even at Alex and Ani/Pandora to adults/teens.

Now, regarding the super power aspect, it appears in the trailer that the rings give the wearer the ability to control elements, example shown is water. So... that could lead to a more supernatural/powerful capability for Shang-Chi if in the end he gets the rings. Plus, there are foo-dogs lol.

It's like you think we come here to be rational. :oops:

😁

G00fyDad

Imagine them being magnetic so they float over one another!

Stephen Colbert Take My Money GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Disney Irish

Premium Member
My thoughts...

Possible, could also be to differentiate from the characters origins so change the rings as well.

Given the cosmic origins of the rings and the cosmic story focus the MCU is heading towards wouldn't surprise me if they keep the original origins of the rings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom